Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Or did you mean a Lanturn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
dark night mods always feel like they're designed by people who have literally never been outside at night

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For me it's always hard to balance "night" and "cave" I want the cave to be utterly, totally dark, but I want the countryside to be like Westfall from WoW.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I made a pretty good scary dungeon with TES construction set once by filling the cell with really dense black fog, I tuned the density to reduce visibility to around 10-15 feet or so and all the light sources behaved as normal as you stumbled past them, it worked quite well and was easy to implement with entirely vanilla game mechanics, but not sure how immersive the effect would be for an external cell.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

dark night mods always feel like they're designed by people who have literally never been outside at night

I mean light pollution is so bad, unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, you don't really get dark nights anymore. Granted they still might be a little over the top though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The problem I have with dark night mods is:

1) In real life my eyes adapt to the dark so that even small amounts of light are sufficient to navigate by

2) In real life my eyes have HDR and are much more sensitive to changes in tone than my monitor is

3) Despite all that, there's still lots of nights I can't see poo poo. When I'm in a deer stand at 5am waiting for the sun to come up I can't see poo poo without a flashlight some days, which is precisely why you're not allowed to start shooting until after sunrise.

And gently caress that, I didn't buy a computer with fancy graphics for thousands of dollars to not see poo poo.

In conclusion, make nights cast a mild blue tone on things and otherwise call it a day. I don't want dark nights, no matter how realistically unrealistic they are. There are too many pretty textures and cool stuff to look at to spend 50% of my gaming time unable to see.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I mean light pollution is so bad, unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, you don't really get dark nights anymore. Granted they still might be a little over the top though.

if you get away from light pollution, your eyes adjust to the dark and you can see pretty clearly, the colors are just muted and it's harder to make out details. depends on how bright the moon is though

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Nirn has two moons to light up the night!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Compromise and put a light enchantment on the lantern

...Genius!

I feel like lots of outside areas and caves in Morrowind have natural light sources too, which wouldn't make them as dark as the real world. Glowing crystals, mushrooms, bugs and whatnot.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If you really wanted to go wild, you could edit some of the textures to have a little emissive glow, similar to the mushrooms, so, its still dark af, but you can see a vague outline?
like, get the https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43140 Graphic Herbalism and add a weak lantern effect to the meshes, badda bing, dark yet navigable caves.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk whether my next character (battlemage-type) should go alteration or mysticism

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jay Rust posted:

idk whether my next character (battlemage-type) should go alteration or mysticism

What mysticism spells are useful beyond mark/recall and the temple teleportations?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Air Skwirl posted:

What mysticism spells are useful beyond mark/recall and the temple teleportations?

You can stop worrying about traps with telekinesis

Edit: But! Imo most mysticism spells are cast outside of combat so you can train up to 25 or 35 and you'll be fiiiiine, so what if you occasionally have to recast the spell a couple times. I usually play a Breton and my inborn bonus is enough to keep me from pulling my hair out with the occasional spell.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Soul trap... Telekinesis... Absorb health... Reflect & Spell absorb...
Detect (with a mod that adds a visual effect to the detected entities)...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

Weakness to magicka + absorb health for a couple of seconds will kill pretty much anything, nothing resists it, and is comparatively cheap

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
I tried playing Morrowind (OpenMW) in VR and now I have the worst headache of my life.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Flinger posted:

Nirn has two moons to light up the night!

And they're huge!

That means they give off huge light!

Nirn at night should just be day but red

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cookie Cutter posted:

I made a pretty good scary dungeon with TES construction set once by filling the cell with really dense black fog, I tuned the density to reduce visibility to around 10-15 feet or so and all the light sources behaved as normal as you stumbled past them, it worked quite well and was easy to implement with entirely vanilla game mechanics, but not sure how immersive the effect would be for an external cell.

What if you did this but put the fog on the player, like inverse light

Basically a dark spell

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Playing thru again as a medium armored mage with no destruction or weapon skills.

I have some kind of a "more restricted services" mod that gates a lot more bartering/training/etc behind faction standing. So I wasn't able to buy the book in necrom you need for a mages guild quest and ended up having to steal it and make a run for it. I think this fits into the quest better, kind of like the ald'ruhn book quests. Also traveling to tel mothrivra for an EEC quest I wasn't able to use telvanni aligned silt striders, eg the one in tel gilan, so I had to fuckin' walk there. Coming back it looks like you can actually use the silt... boat things as well as normal boats at least.

The imperial cult is kind of crap. The old ebonheart questline ends on nothing and the firewatch artifact hunting quests probably should have been fighters guild or imperial legion quests. Thinking now they even have the cool undercroft/tower/sewers area and i don't think you do anything in there?

Andothren thieves guild was funny but completely bugged out at the end for me.

The mages guild quest in akamora to get a bunch of plants has been my favorite. I think there has been an oversight in the city design because the quest specifically tells you not to pick any of the plants in akamora but you can get basically 2/3rds of what you need if you do just that, but if you follow what the guild member tells you to do it's a great intro into the indoril area in the south east of the world map.

I dont know where the old ebonheart knight guy's horse is at yet but it's funny you can ask people all the way down in aimrah if they have seen a horse.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think even without mods, some Telvanni locations won't give you as much as the time of day if you're not a member of the house.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hifi posted:

Playing thru again as a medium armored mage with no destruction or weapon skills.

I have some kind of a "more restricted services" mod that gates a lot more bartering/training/etc behind faction standing. So I wasn't able to buy the book in necrom you need for a mages guild quest and ended up having to steal it and make a run for it. I think this fits into the quest better, kind of like the ald'ruhn book quests. Also traveling to tel mothrivra for an EEC quest I wasn't able to use telvanni aligned silt striders, eg the one in tel gilan, so I had to fuckin' walk there. Coming back it looks like you can actually use the silt... boat things as well as normal boats at least.

The imperial cult is kind of crap. The old ebonheart questline ends on nothing and the firewatch artifact hunting quests probably should have been fighters guild or imperial legion quests. Thinking now they even have the cool undercroft/tower/sewers area and i don't think you do anything in there?

Andothren thieves guild was funny but completely bugged out at the end for me.

The mages guild quest in akamora to get a bunch of plants has been my favorite. I think there has been an oversight in the city design because the quest specifically tells you not to pick any of the plants in akamora but you can get basically 2/3rds of what you need if you do just that, but if you follow what the guild member tells you to do it's a great intro into the indoril area in the south east of the world map.

I dont know where the old ebonheart knight guy's horse is at yet but it's funny you can ask people all the way down in aimrah if they have seen a horse.

How do you kill things with no destruction or weapon skills? Just Absorb Health?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Absorb health and a small pile of rings.

Oh yeah with that mod I had to find almsivi intervention as a spell in a book. Nobody would teach it to me.

e: not sure if it's the beautiful cities mod but it added drunks in balmora and I swear one is programmed to fall off the bridge and into the water

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Absorb Health is the best attack spell in the game because friggin’ every enemy in this game has Reflect and if that happens to an absorb health spell you just absorb your own health and nothing happens.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

hifi posted:

Truly Tamriel Rebuilt captures the spirit of the vanilla game perfectly

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

hifi posted:

Iirc the thieves guild in old ebonheart has you mucking around there and you can find the real peace treaty between the tribunal and the empire, rather than the fake on display.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah mysticism rules. It’s destruction that kinda sucks in Morrowind

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yuiiut posted:

Iirc the thieves guild in old ebonheart has you mucking around there and you can find the real peace treaty between the tribunal and the empire, rather than the fake on display.

nothing mentions it at all, which is either extremely cool or a missed opportunity depending on how you look at it.

to the guy playing i would recommend firewatch or helnim as well. people go nuts for the oe tg as well but its very oblivion-ified and reeks of eurojank. people love it, you might too. the same author as the andothren tg and fg

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
I haven't played through the OE TF stuff but what do you mean by "oblivion-ified and reeks of eurojank"?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

leekster posted:

I haven't played through the OE TF stuff but what do you mean by "oblivion-ified and reeks of eurojank"?

It's a decently high quality quest with lots of scripted sequences except in tes3 so it kind of sticks out. You will absolutely love it probably lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What i need most in my life right now, is a mod that enables blocking with 2handers. Make it 50% as effective as a shield or something, idk

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

What i need most in my life right now, is a mod that enables blocking with 2handers. Make it 50% as effective as a shield or something, idk

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...959b4784700d3d&

not quite what you want (yet) but hrnchamd is messing around with a shield bashing mod as of a month ago and plans on adding some additional blocking animations as part of it i think

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

Big same, I just can't enjoy two handers in Morrowind, it breaks my brain not being able to block. I'm not even saying it should be a mechanical deal breaker, but drat it bugs me. I can deal with having a character that switches between one and two handed, but every time I say I'm going to roll up a Nord with a claymore or a knock off Witcher, I run around the seydna neen smuggler cave with an iron claymore and get so disgusted that my Agi isn't increasing.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

nothing mentions it at all, which is either extremely cool or a missed opportunity depending on how you look at it.

to the guy playing i would recommend firewatch or helnim as well. people go nuts for the oe tg as well but its very oblivion-ified and reeks of eurojank. people love it, you might too. the same author as the andothren tg and fg

I do like it; do you not, or are you just expressing that it's different? It definitely does stand out a lot from baseline Morrowind stuff, but I liked it from the perspective of like... y'all over in TR have been working with Morrowind as a system for a lot longer than Bethesda did, and you're not constrained by deadlines, so you can exceed the standards of the base game. At the same time though, I could understand an argument to be made that it stands out far too much, it's very Oblivion-ified as you put it, so it could create friction with someone's expectations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mbt posted:

not quite what you want (yet) but hrnchamd is messing around with a shield bashing mod as of a month ago and plans on adding some additional blocking animations as part of it i think

im the noisy netch trilling in the background

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RubricMarine posted:

I do like it; do you not, or are you just expressing that it's different? It definitely does stand out a lot from baseline Morrowind stuff, but I liked it from the perspective of like... y'all over in TR have been working with Morrowind as a system for a lot longer than Bethesda did, and you're not constrained by deadlines, so you can exceed the standards of the base game. At the same time though, I could understand an argument to be made that it stands out far too much, it's very Oblivion-ified as you put it, so it could create friction with someone's expectations.

It's a very good questline as a player and an awful questline as the quest lead. The same author claimed the andothren fg and tg and tried to one-up the tg and took 2 years alone to complete them, then another year to review and fix. It's 50% bad for creating unrealistic expectations and 50% bad because it is a nightmare of scripting and dialogue on the technical side.

After restricting questing to a more vanilla style, tr released an update in only 6 months. There exists a happy medium between the skyrim mages guild and fetching mushrooms for ajira, and tr is trying to best optimize that.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

It's a very good questline as a player and an awful questline as the quest lead. The same author claimed the andothren fg and tg and tried to one-up the tg and took 2 years alone to complete them, then another year to review and fix. It's 50% bad for creating unrealistic expectations and 50% bad because it is a nightmare of scripting and dialogue on the technical side.

After restricting questing to a more vanilla style, tr released an update in only 6 months. There exists a happy medium between the skyrim mages guild and fetching mushrooms for ajira, and tr is trying to best optimize that.

Ah, I see; I was wowed by it when I first played TR, but makes sense that it's a nightmare on the production end. And that, you know, an intricate quest like that takes forever to make.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm kind of surprised people bother with block at all. I'm usually just constant effect jumping around and trying to dodge enemies.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i like getting plants for ajira, you can keep an eye out for them while on the way to do other stuff. modern ubisoft mapcollect games have whole separate systems for those kinds of quests.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I still remember the first time trying to find Ajira's reports. Couldn't do that in a modern Bethesda title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

50% bad because it is a nightmare of scripting and dialogue on the technical side.
When were you.going to tell me I wrote this questline in a fugue state?

Speaking of overly dialogue-scripted questlines, does the Ranyon-ruhn questline still end with the player having playercontrols disabled and beaten to death or did they eventually remember to re-enable it

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 16, 2024