Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I enjoyed The Rock in the 2005 Doom movie. The movie itself was pretty bad but I mean it's a movie based on Doom so it was never going to be good. But the camera doing the classic "pan across Doom Guy and zoom into first person" Doom trope was insanely fun because the movie shifts to a literal first person shooter and I hadn't seen that in a movie before lol.

Basically I think wrestlers should just stick to video game movies going forward

said this before on these forums but if you want a good laugh/drunk movie watch the doom movie with the narration for vision impaired folks turned on (netflix), the part where the sleazy guy gets ripped off the toilet had me crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

lmao my brother and I went to that on the biggest screen with my dad and grandma on a "trip (funeral)" to Dayton, Ohio; and the two of us had a good lol at the CGI Scorpion King, much to the chagrin of the rest of the theater. Still do to this day.

oddly, he looks less like a normal human being in person in 2024 than he did as a cgi monster in 2001.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Prof. Crocodile posted:

oddly, he looks less like a normal human being in person in 2024 than he did as a cgi monster in 2001.

steroids are loving amazing

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

MrQwerty posted:

lmao my brother and I went to that on the biggest screen with my dad and grandma on a "trip (funeral)" to Dayton, Ohio; and the two of us had a good lol at the CGI Scorpion King, much to the chagrin of the rest of the theater. Still do to this day.

Every time he emerges as half scorpion half man I imagine him doing the People's Eyebrow and crack up. But my favourite bit is when Rick stabs him with the spear while hanging over that pit and from off-screen Imhotep runs in to drop to a knee and extend his arms to go "Noooo!" All without the camera changing. It's like he missed his cue but gently caress it keep it in this is all dumb as gently caress and we did twelve takes and that was the best one.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Prof. Crocodile posted:

That's because they've been using CGI to make him look bigger:
https://youtube.com/shorts/zq1MW4RzK30?si=Xa4pyjxGauKo1XtJ

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

That feels like a lopsided agreement. Easy for the supporting actors to say “yeah we won’t do a spinoff if they ask us” knowing that call isn’t coming soon.

The original group's biggest names were Vin Diesel and Paul Walker and then it's just a bunch of different lower level actors and rappers. This was back when the first sequels came out and succeeded, not when it became a bloated spectacle with huge casts and lots of special appearances. It's incredibly reasonable when the leads are getting lots of film offers and vehicles and the supporting cast isn't but are seen as integral to the franchise working. It also keeps the series strong and doesn't dilute it by giving every other character a film with diminishing returns. It's pretty much unionizing the Fast franchise to keep it strong and Rock and Statham were the scabs by going into business for themselves for no real reason other than an extra, lesser paycheck.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

snergle posted:

rewatch it its just the rock being the rock for 99% of it same with kevin heart just being kevin heart for 99% of it. jack black actually acted like the teenage girl playing his character. then in the 2nd one the rock and kevin get way more screen time and act like the characters controlling their character. in the 2nd one they both showed they can do it as well as jack black and just phoned it in in the first one. this is when the rock was making 3 movies a year and phoning in everything. remember that earthquake movie or the rampage movie lol

I've read the Be Cool novel before the film came out and it feels like it was written precisely for him to a T. The movie sucks but he's good in it. Southland Tales was him stretching himself and is underappreciated. In time though people are correctly noticing Pain and Gain is his best role.

He's dressed/looks the same across the Jumanji movies, Jungle Cruise, Rampage and San Andreas (I had to google to even remember the last ones).. but I'd argue in Jumanji 2 and Jungle Cruise he's doing decent work/not phoning it in. But in general, like a number of actors right now, they are brands first, and overly in control of everything, which ultimately makes the majority of their work forgettable algorithim-driven generic swill

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

MasterSitsu posted:

I've read the Be Cool novel before the film came out and it feels like it was written precisely for him to a T. The movie sucks but he's good in it. Southland Tales was him stretching himself and is underappreciated. In time though people are correctly noticing Pain and Gain is his best role.

He's dressed/looks the same across the Jumanji movies, Jungle Cruise, Rampage and San Andreas (I had to google to even remember the last ones).. but I'd argue in Jumanji 2 and Jungle Cruise he's doing decent work/not phoning it in. But in general, like a number of actors right now, they are brands first, and overly in control of everything, which ultimately makes the majority of their work forgettable algorithim-driven generic swill

100% agree jumanji 2 him and kevin did alot better then jumanji 1 i havent seen cruise it looked like his standalone jumanji movie and i wasnt interested i might check it out since my sister has disney+.

pain and gain was easily his best role. I kinda wish that became an entire genre. dumb crimes made into a movie with actors playing the parts in a silly way. like drunk history but movies. i had forgot he was in southland tales ide have to rewatch to give my opinion on it.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

The best part of Pain and Gain is the return of the $500 shirt.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

David D. Davidson posted:

That's because they've been using CGI to make him look bigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPDRD1PlaM

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol'd because i just remembered people were shocked the rock wasnt natty

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I kind of liked The Rundown tbh

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Rundown is definitely my favorite Rock movie although I haven't seen all of them. And I probably never will

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

titties posted:

It has Christopher Walken calling a bunch of people Oompa Loompahs. What's not to like?

Also the reshoots with Dwayne's poo poo wig are astonishing.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

titties posted:

It was a good movie. Well-directed cinematography for sure, there are a few specific shots I remember, like when the camera is following a group being chased, and then zooms way out to a satellite-height, then zooms back in to the part of the jungle with the chasing party. Good performances, inventive action. I'm surprised he never pursued a franchise with THAT movie.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
rules that the fast and furious production was run like a wrestling federation complete with who gets to go over and how

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

titties posted:

was that the one with stiffler or with johnny knoxville?

IT DOESNT MATTER they are both great rock movies!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/Eshan890/status/1758582708668690519

the ministry of soyness

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I just like that he's mastered the dumb "shocked YouTube thumbnail face".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
every old wrestler has a podcast now where they bitch about modern wrestling it rules

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

every old wrestler has a podcast now where they bitch about modern wrestling it rules

Well, yeah. Wrestling consumes all the time in your life. So when you finally stop, you have to do SOMETHING to fill all that time.

I remember the reason Austin came back despite his neck being so hosed up was I think it was Jim Ross visited him at his home and Austin was basically sitting around drinking and going stir crazy because without the WWE he had nothing in his life to actually do.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Wee Bairns posted:

I just like that he's mastered the dumb "shocked YouTube thumbnail face".
Undertaker is a solid worker even as a YouTube video guy

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the undertakers presenting trophies in saudi arabia, how the gently caress is he so strapped for cash he has to start a youtube channel

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He’s also a Blue Lives Matter shithead and likely still a white supremacist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the undertakers presenting trophies in saudi arabia, how the gently caress is he so strapped for cash he has to start a youtube channel

I remember reading an article in 2005 or 2006, somewhere around there, where he'd gotten into the real estate business with a partner, saying that was going to be what he moved into when he finally retired from wrestling.

Then the housing market bubble burst in 2008, and here we are

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol'd because i just remembered people were shocked the rock wasnt natty

Especially knowing he had to have surgery for gynecomastia around the time he first feuded with Mankind (hence why Rock wore a shirt in a lot of matches)

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Eau de MacGowan posted:

imagine a bunch of exhausted, uneducated, drug, alcohol, hormone abusing middle aged men that didn't manage their money well when they were making cash hand over fist and they had no advocacy or union needing money in 2024

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Well, he wore shutzstaffel t-shirts.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Carnies are to grift like flies are to poo poo

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’m not ashamed to say The Undertaker was the first time I experienced attraction but once I grew up and learned his background he was/is decidedly less so. I don’t know if any of his tattoos are overt and I want to say his shirts were more “ignorant blue lives shithead wearing symbols without knowing the meaning” but that’s no excuse these days. Nor is being a blue lives shithead!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Because compared to most wrestlers he always SEEMED smart enough to recognize he ought to invest in other ways. Like the real estate gig (which I swear he went in on with JBL of all people). He also SEEMED as if he kept away from the drugs and questionable activities a lot more than his peers. My bet is he’ll evade any knowledge about higher-up wrongdoing and establish the YouTube channel because if WWE gets mega-hosed he has a large enough fanbase to just spend a decade talking about his Wrestler Court days, especially since he was about the last keeper of kayfabe in the 80s/early 90s in terms of character. I think Michelle McCool has a pretty solid Instagram following too?

poo poo, they openly take family photos now, look at our cute children even. They’ll come away clean unless a major bomb drops about what Mark knew and even then he’ll excuse it with “well we took care of our own problems!” via Wrestler Court poo poo. That’s my conspiracy theory.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Jonny Nox posted:

Carnies are to grift like flies are to poo poo

hes probably bored. alot of people cant handle retirement and they get bored then they go back to work or become bitter assholes who run an hoa or something.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I’m not ashamed to say The Undertaker was the first time I experienced attraction but once I grew up and learned his background he was/is decidedly less so. I don’t know if any of his tattoos are overt and I want to say his shirts were more “ignorant blue lives shithead wearing symbols without knowing the meaning” but that’s no excuse these days. Nor is being a blue lives shithead!

Because compared to most wrestlers he always SEEMED smart enough to recognize he ought to invest in other ways. Like the real estate gig (which I swear he went in on with JBL of all people). He also SEEMED as if he kept away from the drugs and questionable activities a lot more than his peers. My bet is he’ll evade any knowledge about higher-up wrongdoing and establish the YouTube channel because if WWE gets mega-hosed he has a large enough fanbase to just spend a decade talking about his Wrestler Court days, especially since he was about the last keeper of kayfabe in the 80s/early 90s in terms of character. I think Michelle McCool has a pretty solid Instagram following too?

poo poo, they openly take family photos now, look at our cute children even. They’ll come away clean unless a major bomb drops about what Mark knew and even then he’ll excuse it with “well we took care of our own problems!” via Wrestler Court poo poo. That’s my conspiracy theory.

I think the Undertaker's real estate thing was something he went in on with a guy that wasn't a wrestler or even in the world of wrestling, like a friend of his or something. IIRC, the idea was that his partner would handle the actual day-to-day stuff at first, while Taker used his public image and WWE fame to attract potential customers, with an eye towards Taker learning the ropes of the real estate world, so he could move into that full-time as his wrestling career wound down. Then whoops, the housing bubble burst! :v:

JBL I think was more of a stocks and bonds guy than a real estate guy, which is why he was able to parlay his time in WWE into the occasional talking head gig on Fox Business. It's also apparently why he hasn't had to rely on the WWE nostalgia train and make a zillion comebacks. He's a contemptible rear end in a top hat, to be sure, but he was apparently smart with his money, unlike most every other wrestler.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn't his wife this big evangelical "Florida Christian" type? imho someone incorporates a cross into a tight fitting outfit so they can fight is likely not reading the red letters in the Bible.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Well, yeah. Wrestling consumes all the time in your life. So when you finally stop, you have to do SOMETHING to fill all that time.

Well see, when you have all that time to yourself and are alone with your thoughts, poo poo gets real and sometimes you can't deal with it. So you go back to doing whatever it was that was distracting you. That could be wrestling, it could be drugs.

TheBuilder posted:

imagine a bunch of exhausted, uneducated, drug, alcohol, hormone abusing middle aged men that didn't manage their money well when they were making cash hand over fist and they had no advocacy or union needing money in 2024

But enough about Motley Crue

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Eau de MacGowan posted:

do you think a man who has been dropped on his head for 30 years is good with money?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a wrestling conspiracy theory that taker is a secret muslim it rules

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a wrestling conspiracy theory that taker is a secret muslim it rules

I heard at WrestleMania XX the Undertaker received the light of Islam and unhesitatingly recited the Shahada. Eventually he will look down on the WWE from the gardens of Jannah. Truly there is no god but Allah, and Mohammad is his prophet!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I heard at WrestleMania 20 the Undertaker received the light of Islam and unhesitatingly recited the Shahada. Eventually he will look down on the WWE from the gardens of Jannah. Truly there is no god but Allah, and Mohammad is his prophet!

I like "Rest in Peace" better but hell, they have hours and hours of program to fill so why not go with this instead?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 hours!)

the idea that someone could be attracted to the undertaker is fascinating to me

are you a guy? is it like a gay thing?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the undertaker is overrated and sting is the superior wrestler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone