Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

fatherboxx posted:

Russia did not really want to become a true pariah state

You could have fooled me. Not even kidding. This is playing armchair diplomat, but: much of Russia's behaviour seems not designed for a direct benefit to itself but to forge closer ties with likeminded regimes, and to a certain extent to reassure other rogue states that it does not care about rule of law at home or abroad.

What else is left? Bombing a neutral island nation? Hacking the Red Cross and stealing its money? Offering to buy one million tents from China if and only if they're made by Uyghur slave laborers? Invading the DRC for its mineral wealth and threatening nuclear annihilation if anyone tries to intervene? Publicly, explicitly promising to send arms & supplies to any country that throws off the yoke of democracy and installs a junta or dictator? Adding a constitutional amendment stating that Russia reserves the right to, and has an obligation to, kill anyone of any nationality anywhere on Earth who criticizes Putin?

That seems like hyperbole but in some cases it's just the next step. And in others it's already the case in some form to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Well Russia did not really want to become a true pariah state so keeping polical prisoners (especially of Navany stature) alive is an important part of that.

My provisional take is that this is Patrushev cleaning house ahead of the election, so the remaining Russian opposition doesn't get any ideas about being too disruptive. Which doesn't mean this can't backfire, at least outside of Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How could it backfire outside of russia? The putin stans in the "global south" don't give a poo poo how many people he murders and everyone else is already pissed off at him.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

How could it backfire outside of russia? The putin stans in the "global south" don't give a poo poo how many people he murders and everyone else is already pissed off at him.

Those outside may care more about death of a politician than a bunch of civilians in towns they never heard of.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
A common explanation for a strongman state doing things that appear nonsensical is that either a) they are actions intended to resolve or address internal narrative or actual conflict purposes, which are more immediate to the leadership (see, in this case, Hannibal Rex's explanation), or b) there's been a misinformation feedback loop for the leadership such that they are buying their own propaganda and increasingly taking actions that are detached from reality. These two patterns are also mutually reinforcing, especially when there's greater state control of media.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

It might be on the nose enough to finally get Ukraine aid past the Trumpists. But I'm not holding my breath.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hard-core trumpists are probably pro-murdering-our-political-opponents, see January 6th 2021.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Discendo Vox posted:

A common explanation for a strongman state doing things that appear nonsensical is that either a) they are actions intended to resolve or address internal narrative or actual conflict purposes, which are more immediate to the leadership (see, in this case, Hannibal Rex's explanation), or b) there's been a misinformation feedback loop for the leadership such that they are buying their own propaganda and increasingly taking actions that are detached from reality. These two patterns are also mutually reinforcing, especially when there's greater state control of media.

This is a helpful contribution.

But I think people are sleeping on my pitch that it's not nonsensical at all. They didn't expect to suffer net consequences. And might even have expected a PR *gain* with all the wrong people as a side benefit. Because at least some of the evidence available to them can be seen as suggesting that was the case.

Not saying that's the right interpretation but I don't think it's being considered as it maybe deserves.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Supposedly Navalny's body has been found in a morgue near the Arctic Circle with bruising on the head and chest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alexei-navalny-body-missing-death-russia-putin-prison-b2498156.html

quote:

Alexei Navalny death latest: Putin critic’s ‘bruised body seen in morgue’ as family demands it is returned

Alexei Navalny’s team, as well as the Russian authorities, have not confirmed the whereabouts of his body

Vladamir Putin believes that he is “untouchable” after years of an iron grip on Russia, the wife of jailed opposition figure Vladimir Kara-Murza has said, as she accused the autocrat of murdering Alexei Navalny.

Speaking to the BBC, Evgenia Kara-Murza said: “All that impunity that lasted for decades has led [Putin] to believe he’s somehow untouchable.”

It comes as an independent Russian newspaper cited an anonymous source claiming that Mr Navalny’s body had been delivered to the Salekhard District Clinical Hospital.

The unnamed source, identified as an experienced paramedic, said the body was bruised and had been transported from the nearby town of Labytnangi.

Some Russian media reported that a special team of investigators had arrived from Moscow. It is unclear when the post-mortem will take place.

Mr Navalny’s mother, Lyudmila Navalnaya, visited the Salekhard morgue on Saturday but was told her son’s body was not there.

The Russian opposition figure’s team have accused authorities of deliberately hiding his body to “cover traces” of what they claim is a clear act of murder.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Apollo posted:

Supposedly Navalny's body has been found in a morgue near the Arctic Circle with bruising on the head and chest.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/alexei-navalny-body-missing-death-russia-putin-prison-b2498156.html

Seems quite probable that the body would have livor mortis.
Livor Mortis - an overview

www.sciencedirect.com posted:

## Immediate Postmortem Changes

Joris Meurs, in Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences, Third Edition, 2023

### Livor mortis

Postmortem lividity (livor mortis) is the settling of blood in the lowest part of the body due to gravity. This process immediately starts at the onset of death since the blood is no longer actively pumped through the body. The blood will start pressing on the skin leaving red/purple marks on the body. The first signs of livor mortis can be observed after approximately 1 h after death, reaching its maximum around 2–4 h. At this time point the blood is still liquid allowing the marks the removed once pressure is relieved. After, 9–12 h the marks caused by settling of the blood are permanent (Goff, 2009).

More from Wikipedia. Be warned if you copy and paste this URL; there is a picture of a dead body illustrating this phenomenon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livor_mortis

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

Livor mortis (Latin: līvor – "bluish color, bruise", mortis – "of death"), postmortem lividity (Latin: postmortem – "after death", lividity – "black and blue"), hypostasis (Greek: ὑπό, hypo, meaning "under, beneath"; στάσις, stasis, meaning "a standing"[1][2]) or suggillation, is the second stage of death and one of the signs of death. It is a settling of the blood in the lower, or dependent, portion of the body postmortem, causing a purplish red discoloration of the skin. When the heart stops functioning and is no longer agitating the blood, heavy red blood cells sink through the serum by action of gravity. The blood travels faster in warmer conditions and slower in colder conditions.

Livor mortis starts in 20–30 minutes, but is usually not observable by the human eye until two hours after death. The size of the patches increases in the next three to six hours. Fixation will begin to occur during this timeframe, causing the patches to be unaltered due to movement. Maximum lividity will occur between eight and twelve hours after death. Areas of blood pooling in contact with the ground will blanch, or remain white.[3] The blood pools into the interstitial tissues of the body. The intensity of the color depends upon the amount of reduced haemoglobin in the blood. The discoloration does not occur in the areas of the body that are in contact with the ground or another object, in which capillaries are compressed.[4]

e: BTW, where does it say head and chest? I cannot find those words.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 19, 2024

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

Some reports are mentioning that.

https://www.politico.eu/article/navalny-died-from-sudden-death-syndrome-mother-told/

quote:

Navalny died from ‘sudden death syndrome,’ mother is told

The location of Navalny’s body is unclear, with Russian officials saying the body would not be handed over until an investigation is complete.

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny died from “sudden death syndrome,” his mother was told on Saturday by the prison where he had been incarcerated, Reuters reports.

Navalny, 47, the longtime political opponent of Russian President Vladimir Putin, died in prison Friday, according to Russia’s federal prison service.

While the prison service said he died after losing consciousness following a walk, there was immediate, widespread speculation — including from U.S. President Joe Biden and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy — that Putin was involved.

“Sudden death syndrome” is an umbrella term for many different causes of cardiac arrest.

The location of Navalny’s body is unclear. A morgue near the Arctic prison where he died said it had not received the body, according to his team.

They were later told by officials that the body would not be handed over until an investigation is complete — even though his lawyers were previously informed that the investigation “had been concluded and that something criminal had not been established,” according to his spokesperson Kira Yarmysh.

There were media reports on Sunday that Navalny’s body had been found in a hospital morgue in the Arctic and that it showed bruising. Russian opposition media reported that there were bruises on Navalny’s head and chest when his body was brought into the Salekhard District Clinical Hospital. The reports could not be verified.

Navalny was arrested and jailed in 2021 after returning to Russia from Germany, where he successfully recovered from nerve agent poisoning in what his allies believed was a Kremlin-ordered murder attempt.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thank you for the link. I couldn't find that information in the original link.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

mawarannahr posted:

Seems quite probable that the body would have livor mortis.
Livor Mortis - an overview

More from Wikipedia. Be warned if you copy and paste this URL; there is a picture of a dead body illustrating this phenomenon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livor_mortis

Livor mortis can look like bruises, but bruises don't typically look like livor mortis, at least in my experience. I would hope a paramedic would be able to tell the difference.

I'm not suggesting *anything* about this particular case because it's 100% assured that the kremlin and others are already flooding the infosphere with conflicting and incompatible stories to make it impossible for anyone to make up their mind about anything, and honestly it's exausting (which is the point).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I came across some analysis I can't find just now in a not ridiculous source saying that Navalny's death might bring Saudi Arabia and the UAE closer to Russia, where they have (apparently and surprisingly) been headed recently, and away from the West.

It was in a fairly serious periodical, although if it weren't for the mention of the UAE I'd have presumed it's a jab at Saudi Arabia's assassination of Jamal Khashoggi. (Has the UAE done something similar lately?)

I absolutely don't want to be right here, but I am not seeing any counter-evidence to my spitballing that 'Russia acted entirely rationally. It didn't expect any serious pushback. In fact with such actions it expects a few countries to admire/fear them enough to switch over to them or at least hedge their bets.'

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 20, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

I came across some analysis I can't find just now in a not ridiculous source saying that Navalny's death might bring Saudi Arabia and the UAE closer to Russia, where they have (apparently and surprisingly) been headed recently, and away from the West.

It was in a fairly serious periodical, although if it weren't for the mention of the UAE I'd have presumed it's a jab at Saudi Arabia's assassination of Jamal Khashoggi. (Has the UAE done something similar lately?)

I absolutely don't want to be right here, but I am not seeing any counter-evidence to my spitballing that 'Russia acted entirely rationally. It didn't expect any serious pushback. In fact with such actions it expects a few countries to admire/fear them enough to switch over to them or at least hedge their bets.'

It's rational in the sense of 'might as well finish the job', and clearly Putin doesn't care about any new sanctions, but I struggle to see why UAE or any other country in the region would care one way or another about Navalny's death for it to influence their foreign policy.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Paladinus posted:

It's rational in the sense of 'might as well finish the job', and clearly Putin doesn't care about any new sanctions, but I struggle to see why UAE or any other country in the region would care one way or another about Navalny's death for it to influence their foreign policy.

I don't think it's the death of Navalny in particular or the hit to the already weak opposition in general so much as naked aggression and flaunting of laws and standards is very often seen as strength.

And while the countries that have switched sides to Russia in Africa almost certainly did so due to anti-colonialist (lol!) sentiment there is the idea that dictators would rather work with other dictators all other things being equal.

So in this case the idea is that an oligarchy with little respect for either democracy or human rights will be a strong ally to others like it. Which is why it would be surprising since it seems both the UAE and Saudi Arabia were moving away from this and were both certainly trying to seem like there were. So while Russia wouldn't have expected this little side bonus, it probably wouldn't have expected the opposite: that those in its camp would get disgusted and switch in the opposite direction.

The whole thing is a joke when you consider how Russia treats its allies. There's the Polish saying (that, admittedly, does ignore lots of history) that you live better and longer as an enemy of the US than as an ally of Russia. I don't know either the rulers or even the average person in the country can truly see anyone else as an ally on equal footing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

We have round 2 of farmers protests in Poland. I'll have to use my "work from home" days tomorrow since they intend to block the one convenient way to work.
I hope they stop blockades by the time I'm leaving work today..

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Like, not to be that guy, but why do we have to assume putin killed navalny as some sort of 4d chess move, and not just that he threw the guy in an awful prison system and had him mistreated and probably tortured? I mean, putin still had the man killed, but I don't know why we should assume that the timing was planned.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like many mafia-like figures, Putin avoids a lot of personal responsibility for the atrocities on his behalf by attributing them to the system that he controls or to individuals that he commands. Placing the emphasis on his responsibility obviates a lot of that.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I'm not suggesting anything about his responsibility, it's clear that the responsibility is on him. I'm suggesting that the conversation shouldn't immediately leap to assuming that putin is a mastermind and it's all part of the plan.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
True, but I am not sure that having someone in custody murdered is much of a "plan" requiring much "masterminding".

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I mean, its part of the MO.

If someone dies of head trauma at the house of basically anyone else, you think it could be an accident.

If they die of head trauma at the house of a guy known to bash heads in, and the victim was an enemy of their, it's not looking all that likely.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think what Compte de Saint-Germain is getting at isn't whether or not Putin is responsible for the death (which they agree, he is) but rather the motivation for the death being more mundane and internal (ex: just tying up loose ends) rather than trying to virtue signal to KSA and UAE.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I believe Putin plans to stay in power, and to remove anyone standing in his way (:tinfoil: I know)

seriously though it's impossible to tell what exactly happened to Navalnyi because no impartial autopsy will be allowed. But he was a dead man the moment he returned to Russia.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

burnishedfume posted:

I think what Compte de Saint-Germain is getting at isn't whether or not Putin is responsible for the death (which they agree, he is) but rather the motivation for the death being more mundane and internal (ex: just tying up loose ends) rather than trying to virtue signal to KSA and UAE.

Could be something in between the two. Navalny is of sufficient import that I’m assuming there was at least a tacit understanding that somebody high up wanted this to happen. That said, the message could be targeted at internal elites: between this and the cheese-and-coup monger plane crash, it seems very clear what happens to anyone who challenges Putin and loses.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

He certainly didn't prevent anything from happening to Navalny because he was worried about the fallout.

At "best" he put him in a position to die or be killed by someone who thinks it'll get them brownie points, and thought 'Well if it happens who cares? Maybe it'll even work in my favour'.

At worst, he himself explicitly ordered the torture and killing, with no euphamisms.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

burnishedfume posted:

Yes, thank you, I wish I had been more clear.

EDIT: Also, this is a guy who recently had a mercenary coup. Assuming this has more do with THE GREAT GAME rather than some complex domestic situation that's basically impenetrable to outsiders.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 20, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
it's never THE GREAT GAME unless your question is literally "is this what retired 1800s British military officers faff on about in pubs to make their foreign escapades sound cool?"

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Yesterday, it came out that Platforma Obywatelska paid around 300,000 PLN to a notorious Twitter troll to attack other parties on the scene, most notably PO's current coalition partners. It's a bit of a poo poo show.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
but i thought they're the good guys!!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

"It's okay when our guys do it!" - silni razem, probably

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Bright Bart posted:

He certainly didn't prevent anything from happening to Navalny because he was worried about the fallout.

At "best" he put him in a position to die or be killed by someone who thinks it'll get them brownie points, and thought 'Well if it happens who cares? Maybe it'll even work in my favour'.

At worst, he himself explicitly ordered the torture and killing, with no euphamisms.

Putin promoted deputy chief of Russia's prisons days after Navalny's death

Putin does this every time his regime commits a major crime, whether it’s atrocities in Ukraine or repressions at home: he promotes or awards the state officials responsible.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

It's impressive how farmers are always on the wrong side every single time they protest regardless of country.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Rich land owners embracing reactionary politics under the guise of being regular, salt of the earth working men? Colour me surprised

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Yesterday, it came out that Platforma Obywatelska paid around 300,000 PLN to a notorious Twitter troll to attack other parties on the scene, most notably PO's current coalition partners. It's a bit of a poo poo show.

Well I'm disappointed if not entirely surprised.

Also, remember how I said I never got a welfare payment because they said they were out of money and Mokotow swooped in with articles saying it's not just my part of the country, it's a known problem, and that the payments are still owed and have to be made eventually?

Well MOPS is getting pretty tired of me calling each week. The line is always the same: There was no money in January for food supplement payments, for anyone; this payment was missed and as the month has ended it will not be being sent out; that this has happened in previous years and if they got rescue funds by the end of the month in question they sent the payments late otherwise they just didn't get sent at all and this year that's the case.

Maybe, maybe someone will force them to make the payments. If the news is correct in that the have to be made eventually. But the news often gets things wrong now only here in Poland. In Canada there was talk of a huge stimulus payment last year but it turned out they mistook the amount it would be if the stimulus covered all year and was given all at once, instead of monthly twice. One paper made the error and the others just ran with it.

And in any case if they made payments this very moment, it would be a month and a week late and that's unacceptable. Maybe not all countries in the EU, but I gather even some other poor ones like Greece were this to happen now there would be political instability and talks of an economic collapse. But then the world is interested in a government's ability to pay its external creditors, not what it owes its citizens. The US could stop paying out any Medicare any it would retain its creditworthiness.

Gaah, it's too poor weather for this. And now that I'm dwelling on unpleasant things, I am reminded that I won't find affordable rye flakes anytime soon.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Russian election ads are something else

https://twitter.com/POMAHMOBA/status/1760700317585272900?t=vo74yyoTV_q-hU6EbYWtRw&s=19

(This one is presented as if produced by Communist Party candidate but no one is buying it since the style of state-sponsored agitprop is too recognizable)

Last one (accompanying constitutional amendments to give Putin more terms) had a typical old dude played by a famous comedic actor being suddenly drafted in the army so uhhh

https://youtu.be/CmWECmoujrM?si=uY55Hzohw-27Vsi8

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

fatherboxx posted:

The Russian election ads are something else
It reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit from the 90s.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They keep making the same thing over and over again, lmao. A regular Russian, or in some cases German, family suddenly faces the threat of GENDERS and GAY (both are NAZI). What's weird about that new one is that usually gender gays also take all your money, but here the family seems to be doing just fine. I guess the message has shifted to 'you must choose between a nice breakfast and not being turned trans against your will'.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I, too, am afraid of being turned German by the Gender Nazis. Truly a fate worse than death.

Honestly, I find myself confused by conservative propaganda. All their grand ideas are an incoherent mess of random words and ideas and vague fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

They keep making the same thing over and over again, lmao. A regular Russian, or in some cases German, family suddenly faces the threat of GENDERS and GAY (both are NAZI). What's weird about that new one is that usually gender gays also take all your money, but here the family seems to be doing just fine. I guess the message has shifted to 'you must choose between a nice breakfast and not being turned trans against your will'.
I am reminded of an ad from (IIRC) 2004 Ukrainian election from "Progressive Socialists" (actually Natzbols) about how if you vote for Yushchenko the priest at your church will turn out to be (complete with a horror-style jump-cut) ...black!