Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crazy that a bunch of people with no respect or understanding of the creative process would fail to produce anything of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

exquisite tea posted:

Crazy that a bunch of people with no respect or understanding of the creative process would fail to produce anything of value.

Embracer cancelled 29 games and closed 7 studios after bungling a $2bn deal with the Saudi government. No one involved respected anything.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

even when they announced the expansion and sequel, in my heart I knew we were never getting more disco elysium. it was too perfect for this world

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
What gets me is Embracer bought of most of THQ after they went bust and several years later they're on the way to repeat THQ's demise.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'd like to form an opinion on the whole ZA/UM fallout, but it's difficult without Measurehead to provide me with the necessary historical and scientific context.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TuxedoOrca posted:

What gets me is Embracer bought of most of THQ after they went bust and several years later they're on the way to repeat THQ's demise.

Capitalism is an ouroboros. A snake eating and making GBS threads and eating itself forevermore.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffle! posted:

Embracer cancelled 29 games and closed 7 studios after bungling a $2bn deal with the Saudi government. No one involved respected anything.

Honestly, it's surprising that they didn't just shut down everything after that deal failed. It's clear that Embracer only exists to bundle a bunch of studios together and sell them to the Saudis. Now they're stuck trying to run this gigantic publisher when they have no interest or expertise. I'd be shocked if they ever released a game under that label.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ErrEff posted:

[*]You will experience crashes. I had to do replay several boss fights because the game would crash during the cutscenes that followed them, and the game rarely autosaves progress outside the designated meditation spots. This can be due to many things, but one big issue is that the game is extremely demanding on all of your RAM.

Oh yeah, that too. Once the story sent me back to Jehda after a big event it started crashing just moving around all the time. This is apparently a known issue and somewhat solvable by disabling ray-tracing and maybe reducing other graphical settings, maybe to take load off the CPU?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm gonna just say it: This is the worst thing the Saudi government has ever done.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'm gonna just say it: This is the worst thing the Saudi government has ever done.

RIP the video games flushed down a basement drain like so many journalists

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

exquisite tea posted:

Hacking up Khashoggi with a bonesaw was bad and all but I really wanted a new Timesplitters.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
A couple weeks ago, the Nextlander podcast had Will Smith as a guest (Developer of Firewatch Will Smith, not the rapper/actor) and they were talking about all the Embracer stuff and the fallout from it, and he made a good point. Most if not all of the devs embracer picked up were the mid-budget developers and developers who would be contracted by EA and Ubi and whatnot to work on smaller IPs.

Embracer pretty much ripped out the middle of the video game industry, and we're gonna start seeing the effects of that within a couple years, since the beginning of the year is around when contracts and IPs and ideas would start to be discussed for the smaller budget games.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks for all the posts on Jedi: Survivor, folks. I really enjoyed the first game, so maybe I'll give this one a shot. Not sure how excited I am about the performance issues though.

I'm running a 3080, so hopefully if I use DSL it might make things run better/properly. The first game hitched a bit too, which is never a good sign.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you have a current gen console its honestly best to play on that. I have to walk back my previous post with a caveat that I played it on PlayStation 5, where the performance problems were mostly fixed. And that is my bad for not clarifying that to begin with.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My performance issues in survivor were fixed by patching, but clearly ymmv

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBHl6kHFog

quote:

"We have big plans for 2024, and we’re starting the year off with a very different kind of update. We’re calling it OMEGA, and for the first time No Man’s Sky will be available to play for free! Full patch notes here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

what all is included in the free to play version?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think its just a free weekend

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Velocity Raptor posted:

A couple weeks ago, the Nextlander podcast had Will Smith as a guest (Developer of Firewatch Will Smith, not the rapper/actor) and they were talking about all the Embracer stuff and the fallout from it, and he made a good point. Most if not all of the devs embracer picked up were the mid-budget developers and developers who would be contracted by EA and Ubi and whatnot to work on smaller IPs.

Embracer pretty much ripped out the middle of the video game industry, and we're gonna start seeing the effects of that within a couple years, since the beginning of the year is around when contracts and IPs and ideas would start to be discussed for the smaller budget games.

Embracer has concentrated a lot of these smaller developers with long histories of doing contract work for larger publishers under multiple umbrella brands such as Saber Interactive, Asmodee, THQ Nordic, etc. It definitely isn't good that so much stuff is under one roof.

But that's just how the industry is changing. Look at Virtuos (3.5K employees, 21 subsidiaries) and Keywords (12K employees, 70+ subsidiaries), both huge outsourcing companies that do work on all the AA/AAA games. Consolidation is happening everywhere. These guys will happily step up and pick out the remains of Embracer if they get the chance.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

Said principal writer, Dora Klindžić, agreed to speak to us on the record as well. She joined ZA/UM in 2022, which she likened to “being born into Yugoslavia in the '90s: you've just missed the party and now all you get is the bloodshed.”
https://videogames.si.com/news/disco-elysium-dev-zaum-layoffs-last-writer-speaks-out

:drat:

e:

quote:

We asked how the studio culture changed at ZA/UM after the departure of most of the original writing team and the airing of the People Make Games documentary looking into the legal battle that ensued afterward. “It’s like transitioning from the Soviet Union to the fascist Russian Federation,” Tuulik said. “Wearing the dead cultural movement like a skin costume, roleplaying communism, lying for dollars and yen. PMG doc changed lots of things in the studio. Personal dynamics. None for the better.”

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 16, 2024

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol thats a hell of a quote

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Holy poo poo, half of that article is just quotes, and they're all fire

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I said come in! posted:

what all is included in the free to play version?

From what I saw, the F2P part is literally just the Omega storyline, everything else you need to pony up for.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

I said come in! posted:

If you have a current gen console its honestly best to play on that. I have to walk back my previous post with a caveat that I played it on PlayStation 5, where the performance problems were mostly fixed. And that is my bad for not clarifying that to begin with.

Unfortunately, I don't so I'll be giving it a try on the PC. Maybe putting it on a solid state drive will help. I saw there is some sort of mod on Nexus mods that's supposed to improve performance, though I'm not sure how excited I am to try that.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Holy poo poo, half of that article is just quotes, and they're all fire

It's almost sad to see that there were still people at ZA/UM that still got it, but clearly not for much longer.

quote:

“It's the people on top – the motherf*****s in sailing shoes and bowties – that f****d Harry, f****d Kim, f****d Robert, Rostov, Helen, Olga, Cash, f****d Elysium, f****d you and me too. They are not artists, they are professional f*****s,” he said.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The pissf****t jacket but its professionalf*****s

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A whole bunch of assassin's creed games are on sale on steam. Which ones are good and don't have long lovely openings. I never made it to the gameplay loop in syndicate and AC3 because I couldn't give a gently caress about whatever slow walking story they were trying to jam down my throat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Black Flag still the best IMO.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Odyssey is good. Also it's the only AC I've played in the past 10 years

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

A whole bunch of assassin's creed games are on sale on steam. Which ones are good and don't have long lovely openings. I never made it to the gameplay loop in syndicate and AC3 because I couldn't give a gently caress about whatever slow walking story they were trying to jam down my throat.

Origins and Odyssey are both good, and are sort of a soft reboot. Valhalla is the same style but frankly I thought it was too boring.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lol

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2022/05/t...able-to-access/

quote:

The Embracer Games Archive Wants To Preserve Video Game Industry History, But Can’t Say How Much The Public Will Be Able To Access

May 30, 2022 at 3:01 pm

Fresh from its acquisition of quite a bit of Square Enix IP, Embracer Group has announced it has founded a program aimed at video game preservation.

As reported by PC Gamer, the program is called the Embracer Games Archive, the program’s goal is to “archive and save as much of the videogames industry as possible.”

Embracer says the archive currently boasts “50,000 games, consoles, and accessories” which it has stored in a vault in Karlstad, Sweden. It has already put a team on managing the collection.

Though not currently available to the public, historians, or researchers, Embracer says it has begun construction on a database cataloguing everything in the collection. This database will then be made available to researchers and academics, and will eventually be available to the general public in some fashion. Exactly how much of its database Embracer will make publicly available, and if any of it will be playable, remains to be seen.

That’s a hurdle the archive will need to overcome, or at least provide greater clarity on. Academic access is valuable and represents an important step forward in the ability to study and understand video games as a medium, but public access is important too. Video game preservation projects like this are surprisingly few and far between, outside of private collectors and community-led museums. If the Embracer Games Archive, or even just a version of it, were to become available to the public, either online or in person, that would be a significant argument for the preservation of the industry’s history that even the major publishers would find hard to ignore.

That point aside, it’s heartening to see a major talent hub put resources behind a project like this. A net positive for an industry that is often all too ready to forget the past in its relentless pursuit of the next big thing.

In practice Embracer has out EA'd EA in shutting down studios. There's serious :irony: in a programme for "preserving" video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Someone must have infected Embracer with reaper code.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
In an effort to preserve video game history and combat a generally negative public image, Embracer Group has hired noted game preservation activist and popular YouTuber Girard "The Completionist" Khalil as their new spokesperson.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

In an effort to preserve video game history and combat a generally negative public image, Embracer Group has hired noted game preservation activist and popular YouTuber Girard "The Completionist" Khalil as their new spokesperson.

lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

lol

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2022/05/t...able-to-access/

In practice Embracer has out EA'd EA in shutting down studios. There's serious :irony: in a programme for "preserving" video games.

quote:

That point aside, it’s heartening to see a major talent hub put resources behind a project like this

What credulous moron wrote this lmao

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
they need somewhere to save all the leftover relics from the studios they've beheaded

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they'll be every bit as dedicated to preservation as the British Museum

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
The biggest crime of Embracer, you know aside from casting thousands of innocent devs into the fires of trying to find a new job with the world hosed up so bad, is that we finally got acknowledgement that they know we want a new Legacy of Kain and now we won’t get it.

We probably weren’t going to get it anyway but I’m still sad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I want to be clear that article is from two years ago. It's just ... lol. And every remotely major game news outlet reported on it and took it credulously at the time.