Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

climbing mountaisn rules
Yeah I got the impression that doc really wants to make a case for why it's highly important for science reasons that they climb the mountain but it kinda sounds like they mostly just want to climb the mountain and that's fine, just say you want to climb the mountain, and to take a long hike instead of just taking a boat there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DurianGray posted:

Antarctica still has its own extreme-sports-related horrors, like polar thigh (probably don't look at the pictures if you're eating or plan to eat in the near future).

https://explorersweb.com/polar-thigh-antarctica/

Interesting that this was not suffered by the polar explorers of old, since they were surely wearing wool long underwear. Since it seems to be correlated with thicker thighs and those guys seemed to suffer a lot of privation back in the day, I'm guessing they had skinnier legs.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Interesting that this was not suffered by the polar explorers of old, since they were surely wearing wool long underwear. Since it seems to be correlated with thicker thighs and those guys seemed to suffer a lot of privation back in the day, I'm guessing they had skinnier legs.

Yeah I definitely wonder how much of it comes down to sweating/chafing/exertion on top of the clothing materials. Like the current south pole speed record is about 22 days, but (for comparison) it took Amundsen about two months when he was the first to reach it (he was also using dog sleds for a lot of it, so less strain from manhauling your own stuff I'd assume). I read a lot about polar exploration disasters for fun, but I haven't yet seen anything similar to polar thigh get mentioned so far. Tbf, in most of the time periods I've read about so far they're way more preoccupied with scurvy and general starvation. But really advanced scurvy can also cause rashes/lesions on the legs so maybe they conflated it with that if it did happen back then. Who knows!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
ngl i got a climbing mountains boner recently and i dont really know why. just seems badass. thos mounts sittin there all climbable are fuckin asking for it. i feel called to climb

is this what shatner was talking bout with his “captain kirk wants to make love to the mountain” spiel cause i feel it

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Well helicopters wouldn't struggle quite the same way since the absolute height (and thus air pressure) is so much lower, the highest peak in Greenland is only 3700m, compared to like 8850m for Everest. Even Everest base camp is 5400m.

If there's an issue I'd say it's because the windspeeds/visibility are an issue (idk I haven't watched it), or it's just too expensive to justify staging the fuel.

3700m is crazy high for a helicopter. They don't have pressurized cockpits so above 3,048 m pilots are typically required to have supplemental air supplies. They aren't climbing slowly so they need oxygen to keep from passing out without acclimatization and so would any of the sampling crew. You can't just helicopter up the mountain and get to work.

Most helicopters aren't designed to operate that high without being stripped down to minimum payload either. The combination of wind, high altitude, payload, and hover all add up. It would probably make more sense for the ground crew to climb up and have a helicopter sling load gear in and core samples out than try to land a full team and gear from a helicopter.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dreezy posted:

ngl i got a climbing mountains boner recently

Prove it

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

knox_harrington posted:

Ah Jeremie Heitz. He filmed La Liste in the mountains around here, really amazing, scary stuff (that's a good article as well).

You can watch La Liste online still:

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/films/la-liste

Thanks for linking this. Absolutely stunning and vertigo inducing. What a watch, I wish it was longer!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Leviathan Song posted:

3700m is crazy high for a helicopter. They don't have pressurized cockpits so above 3,048 m pilots are typically required to have supplemental air supplies. They aren't climbing slowly so they need oxygen to keep from passing out without acclimatization and so would any of the sampling crew. You can't just helicopter up the mountain and get to work.

Most helicopters aren't designed to operate that high without being stripped down to minimum payload either. The combination of wind, high altitude, payload, and hover all add up. It would probably make more sense for the ground crew to climb up and have a helicopter sling load gear in and core samples out than try to land a full team and gear from a helicopter.

Really? You had best tell all the people operating helicopters in the Alps. Not to mention the guy who landed one on the summit of Everest.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

knox_harrington posted:

Really? You had best tell all the people operating helicopters in the Alps. Not to mention the guy who landed one on the summit of Everest.

all of which have the various compromises and modifications he listed

helicopters are the most maintenance-intensive machines ever created. they're mind-bogglingly expensive to operate, and the cost to operate them for one-off use cases (like carrying people to a mountaintop in one of the most remote and hostile environments on earth) increases logarithmically the more further-removed you are from ordinary, routinely economically viable locations and use cases. those alpine helicopters could do it, if they and all their support infrastructure wasn't on the other side of an ocean.

the everest thing was so improbable that most people were certain it would never happen even if the math said it was on the edge of possibility

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah idiot you only need a specialized turbine helicopter that Airbus specifically had a test pilot exceed the safe maximum altitude by 6000 feet on for a stunt that could’ve gotten him killed, why can’t you do it all the time!!!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Was just thinking about the Mt. Hood SAR helicopter crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjDpVU8qWWc

It's a crazy challenging environment to fly in. You can have zero depth perception because of the white snow, plus gusting winds causing unexpected up- and down-drafts.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bubbacub posted:

It's a crazy challenging environment to fly in. You can have zero depth perception because of the white snow, plus gusting winds causing unexpected up- and down-drafts.

Holy poo poo, they eventually put that helicopter back into service after it was lifted off the mountain and repaired.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
was hanging out on my uncle's pumpkin farm in Bismarck, ND, when a helicopter started circling and then landed. turns out someone had arranged for a flight for him as a thank-you present.

the operator hung out for a while after taking him on a quick trip around the area and the thing I remember being most surprised by is how loving much it costs to operate a helicopter just in fuel costs alone

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I figured they couldn't do it on the big peak, I was more curious about why they didn't land on the glacier which is about 1600m.

Of course they just want to climb the wall, but maybe it is just cheaper to walk/climb everywhere since they wanted to take core samples along the way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Using helicopters for entertainment purposes is horribly selfish. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should.

Everyone should sit in their rooms in silence to avoid wasting our precious resources.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
way ahead of ya there

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im doing my part

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm doing my part!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bubbacub posted:

One part of that accident that blows me away is that at 1:22-1:23, you can see an object fall out and land right in front of the tumbling helicopter. That's a person who was ejected. It appears that it rolls right on top of him, but incredibly, it caught just enough air as it was rolling to crush him into the snow but not kill him. At 2:12 you can see one of the rescuers who has run down the mountain reach him. Dude had a horseshoe up his rear end.

Edited to correct my faulty memory of how the guy survived.

Here's a video with an interview of the guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEbMJuyRnHc

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ve got a family member who was in an high altitude alpine helicopter that crashed. Basically trying to land… a rogue wind gust on a “calm” day threw it off the nearby ledge like it was nothing. Immediately at the wrong angle to recover even if they were at sea level lift and not high altitudes like they were. The pilot was already rag-dolled off the controls anyways. You don’t want to fucky with that

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
alpine helicoptering classic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3rR8OIkSpA

nobody was injured apparently, but i have to guess that was the last time that pilot flew government property

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol god drat, Gene Cernan would be proud of that one

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol I bet crashing an apache sucks!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lol at first it looked like "maybe with the snow it wasn't even totaled" but then at the very end you see it off in the distance cartwheeling and oh dear

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

lol I bet crashing an apache sucks!

idk they're pretty nice, maybe its good??

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

20 Blunts posted:

idk they're pretty nice, maybe its good??

it's a big armored helicoptering tub designed like a helicopter A-10, I bet it is the nicest high-speed high-altitude helicopter crash you could possibly have

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Air density (the lack of). Thats the root of all problems.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AutismVaccine posted:

Air density (the lack of). Thats the root of all problems.

The root of all helicopter problems, especially

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In my experience crashing in a Chinook was a far better experience than crashing in a Blackhawk. The added bulk is paradoxically comforting when it's matching speed with you.

I wouldn't recommend either though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

In my experience crashing in a Chinook was a far better experience than crashing in a Blackhawk. The added bulk is paradoxically comforting when it's matching speed with you.

I wouldn't recommend either though.

Hold on, how many helicopter crashes have you survived?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Two, which is more than enough frankly.

Don't join the Army, kids!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im surprised they let you pilot the chinook after crashing the blackhawk

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The funniest thing about the Blackhawk crash is that I was recording crew audio during and afterwards (so I couldn't hear it live) so after the fact I got the terrifying real time ohshitohshitohs- of the crew chief but also sullen regret of the rear end in a top hat captain that nearly killed me crying about how *this one* meant his career was hosed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That's incredible! I guess you can say you put 2 up on Kobe.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

did the pilot know he was going to be found reckless or negligent or something, or does the army just automatically punish anyone who crashes like its iracing

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The funniest thing about the Blackhawk crash is that I was recording crew audio during and afterwards (so I couldn't hear it live) so after the fact I got the terrifying real time ohshitohshitohs- of the crew chief but also sullen regret of the rear end in a top hat captain that nearly killed me crying about how *this one* meant his career was hosed.

... How many helicopters does it take to crash your career?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is it more or less than McCain got to crash in his career

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
it seems like much younger guys were flying aircraft back in the day in general

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Two, which is more than enough frankly.

Don't join the Army, kids!

No worry there unless they start drafting fat 40-year-olds

*Gilligan cut to me in cadpat on a beat to poo poo sea king on my way to Ellesmere Island to be thrown into the neosoviet meatgrinder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am going to be the first climber to summit without pooping for 3 weeks so I don't have to carry it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68237123