Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Outrail posted:

I'm not a computer toucher, but my laptop has gone from pretty quick to just chugging and lagging. Task manager seems to say chrome is using ~80% in fits and bursts.

A good chunk of that is software being garbage, but if your computer has decent specs and is a couple-few years old, you might want to bring it to a computer shop to get its fans and cooling stuff cleaned out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

A good chunk of that is software being garbage, but if your computer has decent specs and is a couple-few years old, you might want to bring it to a computer shop to get its fans and cooling stuff cleaned out

Before you do this you should probably install a thermal monitor program to make sure this is actually your problem, if your computer is maxing out at less than like 85C while thrashing like crazy, taking it to a shop is a waste of money

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

I'm not a computer toucher, but my laptop has gone from pretty quick to just chugging and lagging. Task manager seems to say chrome is using ~80% in fits and bursts.

How full is your hard drive and is it an SSD?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

20 Blunts posted:

i was one of those schmucks that signed up for Peacock for a football game....it is by far the worst running streaming app I've had on the PS4. It ran like poo poo right out the gate.

it tends to just crap out and need a hard app reset after 2 hours, without fail. the "crap out" has been really weird like it just got stuck on 1 frame of a completely unrelated show, with some weird garbled audio. maybe i was getting haunted idk

Paramount is still the worst one IMO. In Dec it wouldn't load at all for me on a Fire stick, even after reinstall. Now on a "good" day, it lags like crazy and takes 3 times as long to load up as any other app

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sentient Data posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I tell a goon on this computer toucher forum to go to a computer shop.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What, you didn't see the weather outside?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Help I was geek-swatted at my home

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Sentient Data posted:

Thanks, I'll look at this as well.

big mean giraffe posted:

How full is your hard drive and is it an SSD?

It's an SSD and about 60% full

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cerekk posted:

From this thread in Chrome, if I hit back once I'm at the SA control panel, then back again and I'm on the Chrome homepage.

From this thread in Firefox, if I hit back once I'm at the SA control panel, then back again and it opens another tab to display the Firefox homepage and leaves the SA control panel open in a background tab like a sociopath.

Weird, it definitely does not do that for me. I wonder if it's a setting or a bug?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Woolie Wool posted:

It's the websites themselves more than the browser, nobody writes HTML anymore, they just deploy huge stacks of middleware and that's even before the ads

:wrong: everything is ads

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Outrail posted:

Thanks, I'll look at this as well.

It's an SSD and about 60% full

Woolie Wool posted:

Before you do this you should probably install a thermal monitor program to make sure this is actually your problem, if your computer is maxing out at less than like 85C while thrashing like crazy, taking it to a shop is a waste of money
Yeah, there's a number of free programs to check CPU temp for Windows (and other OSes). You'll also want to check if the lagging due to memory or CPU. If it's thrashing from needing to use a bunch of on-disk virtual memory, temperature is probably not the culprit, but a computer shop is still probably overkill. It's possible for Chrome to have some misbehaving extensions or even malware. Might be worth it to try switching to Firefox.

If it is temperature, you can try blowing out dust and lint with canned air.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 15, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like hwinfo64 for seeing all of my hardware stats. I'm pretty sure it has a temp monitor but I never use it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Firefox desktop (with appropriate UI and options fixes) is a solid browser.

Firefox android has the previously mentioned inexplicably psychopathic tab handling behaviour thing. Fortunately they've opened the Android one up to many more extensions so hopefully someone does what the UI team wouldn't or couldn't.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MrTargetPractice posted:

That sounds amazing. Where do you live?

Forgot about this thread but Finland

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

A forum I frequent recently added triangles that let you trim quotes. Like who the gently caress is going "gee this quote is just too long and I'm just too lazy to scroll further down".

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

After reverting to the previous non broken version, the developers of the Kagi iOS Safari extension have boldly decided to break it again in different ways. Why is this so hard?

The fixes they claim don't even work!!

quote:

1w ago
- [Fixed] Non-search Google urls no longer get redirected

If you search for something on Google then click the "News" or "Images" tab, Kagi hijacks the click.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, there's a number of free programs to check CPU temp for Windows (and other OSes). You'll also want to check if the lagging due to memory or CPU. If it's thrashing from needing to use a bunch of on-disk virtual memory, temperature is probably not the culprit, but a computer shop is still probably overkill. It's possible for Chrome to have some misbehaving extensions or even malware. Might be worth it to try switching to Firefox.

If it is temperature, you can try blowing out dust and lint with canned air.

Thanks! Fingers crossed.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Google assistant on Android no longer lets me use the assistant button to do voice commands without going "Hey Google"

Now it just searches for whatever you say, so for example "set an alarm for 1 hour" gets me YouTube videos that run for exactly an hour

It's dumb

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

A forum I frequent recently added triangles that let you trim quotes. Like who the gently caress is going "gee this quote is just too long and I'm just too lazy to scroll further down".

The usual behavior I see on other forums is to limit long quotes to preview windows and let the user choose to expand them. I confess that'd be nice to have here in threads where multiple people do the "empty quote a 2000 line shitpost" thing, especially on mobile.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No those are the worst . YouTube does that it’s horrendous

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The usual behavior I see on other forums is to limit long quotes to preview windows and let the user choose to expand them. I confess that'd be nice to have here in threads where multiple people do the "empty quote a 2000 line shitpost" thing, especially on mobile.

:thunk:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

You can tell all the awful posters are really angry about it because it gives people another avenue their screechings. See also people who hate the ignore list feature even existing

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

People who use mobile for anything don't deserve anything. gently caress designing poo poo for cellphones give me back websites that actually use the space available!

big mean giraffe posted:

You can tell all the awful posters are really angry about it because it gives people another avenue their screechings. See also people who hate the ignore list feature even existing

I just find the triangle slightly distracting because it's new and new things are always bad.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It's true. I have 3 idiots on ignore because if they don't like the discussion they will spam an image 50 times and then start quoting each other and theres no way to bypass it on the android app so I just ignore them and anyone repeatedly quoting them or else I spend a minute or two trying to find a real post to read.

Hatedad
Dec 2, 2020

Duck and Cover posted:

measures have been taken to protect posters from AnimeIsTrash in the CSPAM Pictures thread

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Atopian posted:

Firefox android has the previously mentioned inexplicably psychopathic tab handling behaviour thing. Fortunately they've opened the Android one up to many more extensions so hopefully someone does what the UI team wouldn't or couldn't.

:hai:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DeepThought posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_(web_browser)

surf is a minimalist web browser developed by suckless.org. The user interface does not include any graphical control elements; it is controlled via keyboard shortcuts or external tools, which may manipulate its behavior by setting its window's properties.
Most configuration of surf is performed by editing its configuration header file in its source code, and then (re)compiling it. Some settings can be changed without recompiling, via command-line arguments or hotkeys.[2][4]

just wanna say, "lol"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I switched to brave browser on Android it loads without that loving 5 second delay that Firefox has if you use ublock addon and it's search engine seems to work better than google

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Lynx works well enough for something awful, probably just going to switch to that once firefox becomes AI riddled trash. I was on chrome until this year but I'm making a real effort to totally rid myself of google products.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wendigee posted:

I switched to brave browser on Android it loads without that loving 5 second delay that Firefox has if you use ublock addon and it's search engine seems to work better than google

Did they ever get rid of the crypto currency poo poo?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Lynx works well enough for something awful, probably just going to switch to that once firefox becomes AI riddled trash. I was on chrome until this year but I'm making a real effort to totally rid myself of google products.

Why aren't you using the app? It works great

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Taeke posted:

Why aren't you using the app? It works great

I browse the forums on a $5000 water cooled gaming "rig" as god intended.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ah, check. I thought you were talking about phoneposting.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

wash bucket posted:

Not only did they not, the android version will sometimes push crypto-related ads as notifications. Or at least, it did to me last time I checked it out. (I wanted a ad-blocking chrome-based browser on my phone to chromecast some stuff)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

wash bucket posted:

No.. it's on the menu, it asked me once to sign up for it and I said no thanks lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

just wanna say, "lol"
you’ll lol even more once you find out the political leanings of a number of Suckless people

https://twitter.com/pid_eins/status/1113738764797534208

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 16, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

cat botherer posted:

you’ll lol even more once you find out the political leanings of a number of Suckless people

https://twitter.com/pid_eins/status/1113738764797534208

:dogbutton: I did nazi that coming

E: does track with chuds making systemd hate a dumb political culture war issue though

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 16, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I used to be able to get Amazon delivery in 2 days. I was never sure how that was possible honestly, but for years it was the case. Post Covid, that's turned into 6-7 days. Which is fine, but big change.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Car Hater posted:

Google assistant on Android no longer lets me use the assistant button to do voice commands without going "Hey Google"

Now it just searches for whatever you say, so for example "set an alarm for 1 hour" gets me YouTube videos that run for exactly an hour

It's dumb

yeah they made it worse a year ago and completely neutered it in the last update. I thought they wanted people to use Google assistant but they keep making it harder to use??:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I had a google home for a number of years until a year or two ago. It steadily got worse and worse until I was using it as just a glorified kitchen timer. Great to hear it can’t even do that now, apparently.