Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Gotta go synthetic. So it rubs right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
might rub my pencil on it after idk

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i'm breaking out my .010 nut file to slot my nut so i can put my dick in it, for loving purposes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm using a stewmac 10 on it its very wiggley

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
as we wrapped up dinner last night i just mused out loud that the sign up sheet for open mic goes out in 10 minutes.......was not a well-received joke.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

loving purposes

Mods plz

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the dude that built this thing used a little piece of stick on sandpaper on the heel of the neck as a shim? anyway that came in handy to sand down my nut

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm looking for some hope in reducing 60hz hum on my guitar signal in my new house, it was never this bad at my old place. Single coils are completely unusable and even humbucker guitars have trouble keeping the noise down, so I'm wondering if it has to be something between the guitar and interface.

My signal chain is guitar > Line 6 relay wireless > Focusrite interface > Ableton with Helix. I've done all the obvious stuff for grounding and interference issues - everything is on one outlet, I use a Furman power conditioner strip (I also have a rackmount conditioner but it made no difference), my PC is on a UPS plugged into the power conditioner, no parallel runs of audio cable next to power cables, tried a DI box with a ground lift between the wireless and Focusrite input, tried plugging the wireless into a battery to completely isolate the ground, tried power outlets on different breakers, tried a balanced cable between the wireless and interface, tried a regular cable instead of the wireless, and it's still nearly unusable once plugged in to a guitar. The weird part is nothing else in my setup has noise issues, I can crank my monitors all the way up and there's just a faint white noise so it has to be something between the guitar and interface, right? Pointing the guitar in different directions gives varying levels of hum, do I just start lining my walls and ceiling with aluminum foil? I have a drop ceiling in my basement and I'm wondering if it's something like the metal grid acting as an antenna or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm guessing there's something giving off large amounts of EM noise in the room, dimmer switches, fluorescent lighting, maybe something that isn't wired well. It sounds like it's not a power conditioning or chain issue, it's an issue with pickups picking up large amounts of noise from the environment.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
would you mind recording some of that noise and posting it? or of you really want to spoil me, the noise with a video of you pointing the guitar on various directions.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense for the next step. When I get home I'll turn off all the lights and record walking around pointing the guitar at things. It's in the basement where all the household utilities are, but they're all the way on the other side of the room, probably 20+ feet away.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
make cool stomping sounds too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you cannot remove the sound you must harness it

make some sort of experimental drone music with your basement's electric field

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
60hz is somewhere between Bb and B, time to tune down.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baron von Eevl posted:

60hz is somewhere between Bb and B, time to tune down.

Open tune to this frequency and use a slide and a fuzz :getin:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you cannot remove the sound you must harness it

make some sort of experimental drone music with your basement's electric field

Already did that, strangely enough. If I can shamelessly plug right now, like 3 or 4 years ago I wrote and recorded an entire album about making contact with ghosts encoded in stray radio signals. I lived right next to a huge array of radio and TV towers and my guitar would pick up all kinds of signals if I cranked the gain and pointed it in the right direction, and the idea kind of evolved from there.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

internet celebrity posted:

Already did that, strangely enough. If I can shamelessly plug right now, like 3 or 4 years ago I wrote and recorded an entire album about making contact with ghosts encoded in stray radio signals. I lived right next to a huge array of radio and TV towers and my guitar would pick up all kinds of signals if I cranked the gain and pointed it in the right direction, and the idea kind of evolved from there.

Yep, Basement’s haunted

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
nobody fixed their buzzing issues here not even the thread title drunk goat and he went deep

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

moon demon posted:

Yep, Basement’s haunted

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I love this thread

“I got some buzzing”
“Just go with it. Ambient drone music baby.”
“I already loving tried that!”

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

internet celebrity posted:

I get extreme vibes of the Fountain OST from this, well done.

In Philly we have the Roxborough antenna farm, I've heard reports of neighbors sometimes getting audible radio broadcasts coming through their loving plumbing.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the Digitakt was the right call btw. I think I love this thing. Sampling guitar, synth, bass, keys...whatever into it to make your own backing? ok. using it to quickly prototype a drum line while writing a song on guitar? sure. Use Fx and onboard filters/LFOs to turn a simple sample of literally anything into a huge texture like you're freaking Radiohead or something? uh yeah. it makes that quite easy actually.

it interfaces well with my rc500 loop pedal and helix floor too. If for some reason I need a super long multi minute track that loops I can have that stored in the rc500. I found a way to command it to switch 'patterns' (among doing other stuff) by binding to foot switches on my helix via midi, so can switch the beat without looping the same bars forever. So I can play guitar and improv a one man band song with it already by programming a couple different sections of beats which activate by the helix. I figured it would take me a bit longer to get there. Albeit limited by my own skill at timing those well. Still spending a lot of time learning to use it just by itself. but the controls and interface are magic tbh. at least once you get past the potential mind strain of how sequencers work in general (especially when you have two sequencers on the same clock like I am doing right now..)

there's just so many tricks good for experimental sound design and nice ux things about it that I freaking instantly love over using Logic Pro. I will still output to and do stuff in Logic Pro but this is offloading a lot of beat production and song writing from it

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

nobody fixed their buzzing issues here not even the thread title drunk goat and he went deep

I helped it a little bit. A lot of it was coming from my PC, so I moved it farther away. But yeah, completely solving electrical interference is fake news

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

I get extreme vibes of the Fountain OST from this, well done.

In Philly we have the Roxborough antenna farm, I've heard reports of neighbors sometimes getting audible radio broadcasts coming through their loving plumbing.

Hey thanks! Also thanks for making me aware of the Fountain OST, checked out a couple of clips and sounds like something I'd dig, I'll probably listen later.

So here's a recording of what I'm dealing with: https://voca.ro/19ZpqtxrXUTS
I walk around a bit pointing the guitar in different directions and then strum a few chords at the end to show how loud it is relative to the guitar. I'm not being a diva about a little bit of noise, I just don't have a home studio until I fix this. Also this is a guitar with humbuckers.

I tried pointing it at the appliances on the other side of the room, nothing really significant there. There's one wall I share with a neighbor that seems to be the loudest. It's paneled over but I know there's a block wall behind it so there might be some shoddy wiring to look at over there, which the house was built in the 50s so that's almost guaranteed. Or my neighbor is a hobbyist MRI operator. I guess I could try something like plugging everything into the UPS and cutting power to the entire house to see if it's something I have control over making the noise.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

the Digitakt was the right call btw. I think I love this thing. Sampling guitar, synth, bass, keys...whatever into it to make your own backing? ok. using it to quickly prototype a drum line while writing a song on guitar? sure. Use Fx and onboard filters/LFOs to turn a simple sample of literally anything into a huge texture like you're freaking Radiohead or something? uh yeah. it makes that quite easy actually.

it interfaces well with my rc500 loop pedal and helix floor too. If for some reason I need a super long multi minute track that loops I can have that stored in the rc500. I found a way to command it to switch 'patterns' (among doing other stuff) by binding to foot switches on my helix via midi, so can switch the beat without looping the same bars forever. So I can play guitar and improv a one man band song with it already by programming a couple different sections of beats which activate by the helix. I figured it would take me a bit longer to get there. Albeit limited by my own skill at timing those well. Still spending a lot of time learning to use it just by itself. but the controls and interface are magic tbh. at least once you get past the potential mind strain of how sequencers work in general (especially when you have two sequencers on the same clock like I am doing right now..)

there's just so many tricks good for experimental sound design and nice ux things about it that I freaking instantly love over using Logic Pro. I will still output to and do stuff in Logic Pro but this is offloading a lot of beat production and song writing from it
What kind of monitoring setup are you using for this? I've looked into doing something kind of similar, but I always end up with a huge mess of wires and potentially multiple amps in my plan, and that's stopped me every time.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Help!

I have a pair of DiMarzios in my PRS that have been there for a few years now. Super Distortion in the bridge and Super 2 in the neck. That was when I didn’t really have anything else to play metal on. Now I have a bunch of other ones and I’d been pondering swapping one or both out for something a little milder. Today I was at the local guitar store to see if I could pick up a couple of boxes for shipping guitars I’ve sold and came across some used Burstbuckers sitting on the shelf. They saw me ogling them and said they could give me a really really good price on them since they’d been sitting around for six months. So I am now the proud owner of a Burstbucker 3 and a Burstbucker Pro Bridge. Price was good enough that I could probably sell either one for what I paid for both.

I have the Burstbucker 2 and 3 in my 1959 Epiphone and have really enjoyed them. But I don’t get along with the guitar itself so it’s being put up for sale before long.

Now I am wondering if I should stick the BB3 in the bridge and see how it gets along with the Super 2 for now, or install both Burstbuckers in either combination. But both are intended as bridge pickups so not sure how well that might work out. What do you guys think?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Leck posted:

What kind of monitoring setup are you using for this? I've looked into doing something kind of similar, but I always end up with a huge mess of wires and potentially multiple amps in my plan, and that's stopped me every time.
There's def multiple ways to do it.

I've worked out two setups for this.. one for sitting at my desk and the other without DAW/USB for live play. If I have a real guitar amp out I don't see tying it into the digitakt patch. I suppose I mic it if I really wanted but I would just use my helix floor instead. It's a lot less complicated if I'm not trying to tie the guitar audio into the digitakt at the same time as the synth.

With a Mac I am able to set my Helix and the Digitakt into a combined audio device, so I am using them both as interfaces. The Digitakt as input with the synth and the helix is both inputting the guitar and outputting everthing as monitor interface. My scarlet solo could output the Digitakt instead of the Helix (presuming I'm not playing guitar) but I don't currently have two 1/4" TRS cables for output whereas the helix has two XLR sends for monitors and the Scarlett solo has no XLR outs.

So that is the desk setup: I've got a hardware synth via two 3' TS cables going into the 1/4" In L+R on the Digitakt with a 3 ft' midi cable going from the digitakt back to the hardware synth. Sending the Digitakt via USB to my Macbook and outputting in DAW monitor through my Helix XLR ports to the speakers. That lets me put every track on the Digitakt into its own track in the daw. So I wind up with 14 channels out of this. 12 from the Digitakt over USB (which include its 8 sample tracks, 2 In L+R for the synth and 2 Main L+R), and two tracks from the helix for guitar L+R. Then a midi cable from the helix to the digitakt to enable program changes with a foot pedal. (you can also drop the midi cables and use usb for that too, but I don't like having logic control clock)

So if I want to sample the guitar through the Digitakt then I'll probably route that through USB too. The synth has a aux in so I could theoretically pass the guitar into it. Or could just unplug the synth and route guitar through from helix via 1/4. For the most part I don't need to route the guitar through the digitakt them going separately to the DAW is fine.

Alternatively/No USB/Live: The helix is doing a lot of the work as a mixer so I may switch this into some sort of external input switching like a real mixer. But the idea is 1/4" output the synth into the stereo Helix Aux input. Route that audio through the Helix Sends/Returns 1/4" channels to the digitakt and back. Then output through the helix XLR ports (the helix lets inputs bypass the guitar chain where requested). That's the idea anyways. So then every sound is passed through the digitakt for possible sampling. Again if not needed the guitar to be sampled it's simpler, just route the synth to digitakt to the helix as a couple of inputs.

But like you can always just route whatever into the digitakt 1/4 inputs directly and it can output straight to monitors or usb as its own interface.

So in terms of cables I have 3 short patch cables on my desk with the synth and digitakt. and a midi from the helix to the digitakt. so it's not much. Usb doing most of the hard work. dawless needs a bit more cabling..

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 19, 2024

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

There's def multiple ways to do it.

I've worked out two setups for this.. one for sitting at my desk and the other without DAW/USB for live play. If I have a real guitar amp out I don't see tying it into the digitakt patch. I suppose I mic it if I really wanted but I would just use my helix floor instead. It's a lot less complicated if I'm not trying to tie the guitar audio into the digitakt at the same time as the synth.

With a Mac I am able to set my Helix and the Digitakt into a combined audio device, so I am using them both as interfaces. The Digitakt as input with the synth and the helix is both inputting the guitar and outputting everthing as monitor interface. My scarlet solo could output the Digitakt instead of the Helix (presuming I'm not playing guitar) but I don't currently have two 1/4" TRS cables for output whereas the helix has two XLR sends for monitors and the Scarlett solo has no XLR outs.

So that is the desk setup: I've got a hardware synth via two 3' TS cables going into the 1/4" In L+R on the Digitakt with a 3 ft' midi cable going from the digitakt back to the hardware synth. Sending the Digitakt via USB to my Macbook and outputting in DAW monitor through my Helix XLR ports to the speakers. That lets me put every track on the Digitakt into its own track in the daw. So I wind up with 14 channels out of this. 12 from the Digitakt over USB (which include its 8 sample tracks, 2 In L+R for the synth and 2 Main L+R), and two tracks from the helix for guitar L+R. Then a midi cable from the helix to the digitakt to enable program changes with a foot pedal. (you can also drop the midi cables and use usb for that too, but I don't like having logic control clock)

So if I want to sample the guitar through the Digitakt then I'll probably route that through USB too. The synth has a aux in so I could theoretically pass the guitar into it. Or could just unplug the synth and route guitar through from helix via 1/4. For the most part I don't need to route the guitar through the digitakt them going separately to the DAW is fine.

Alternatively/No USB/Live: The helix is doing a lot of the work as a mixer so I may switch this into some sort of external input switching like a real mixer. But the idea is 1/4" output the synth into the stereo Helix Aux input. Route that audio through the Helix Sends/Returns 1/4" channels to the digitakt and back. Then output through the helix XLR ports (the helix lets inputs bypass the guitar chain where requested). That's the idea anyways. So then every sound is passed through the digitakt for possible sampling. Again if not needed the guitar to be sampled it's simpler, just route the synth to digitakt to the helix as a couple of inputs.

But like you can always just route whatever into the digitakt 1/4 inputs directly and it can output straight to monitors or usb as its own interface.

So in terms of cables I have 3 short patch cables on my desk with the synth and digitakt. and a midi from the helix to the digitakt. so it's not much. Usb doing most of the hard work. dawless needs a bit more cabling..
Appreciate the info! I've just got an HX Stomp, not a full Helix, so I might not have enough blocks to use it as a mixer, but that's probably the way I'd end up going. I don't really care much about the DAW side of things, so it would just be fitting into my normal chain of pedals -> HX -> bass amp used as a monitor. This does sound like something that would be fun to play around with and make horrible noises.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The digitakt wants to send out line output I think, so it’s not something you want to push through a bass amp. I think.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I found the culprit of my noise issues - my water meter is equipped with a radio box that is making massive amounts of RF noise, I assume so someone from the city can read the meter remotely or something. Lmao. What do I even do about that.

edit: wait tho, it might not be the radio box. I found a post from someone on gearspace dealing with a similar issue who said "The issue turned out to be a broken neutral to the houses downstream from mine. All return current was going through the water main, through my house, and across my good neutral to the transformer." I am on the end of a block of townhouses and being near water pipes does seem to make the issue worse. Time to figure out who to call to figure out if this is what's going on.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 21, 2024

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

build a faraday cage around it. when they come to check it out remove the faraday cage and claim ignorance

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I've got one of those for my electric as well, and that's exactly what it's for: remote reading. Except they don't have it on the water meters so they still have to have a dude walk around to get those manually lmao. No idea if it's causing me any issues since I have other things in the house that are imposing noise.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've been mildly obsessed with Ariel Posen's two Mile End solo guitar albums. I just found out he sells complete tabs for both albums so I'm gonna try to learn one of the easier ones (below). It's been fun playing electric again after almost exclusively playing acoustic for over a year. The THR10 sounds so good for such a little guy. Crunch amp sim with the gain up and some slapback, perfect.

https://youtu.be/DjCNGIEFmPA

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Took the thread's advice and backed off. It takes a lot to overcome a lifetime's worth of "YOU are the problem" when you're learning a new skill that isn't cerebral. My guitar teacher went into Music Therapist Mode in our last lesson and that helped too.

Part of the backing off involved realizing that I don't Just Play. I don't do that because the only time my hands aren't doing something is usually downtime at work, and I should be taking advantage of that.

So I spent the time finishing this beast. It's very much in the spirit of "I am not perfect, this will not be perfect, but you gotta screw up to learn, and that's OK - no, seriously, it is loving OK"

Built from a Bargain Musician kit. There are plenty of things I would do differently next time - eg don't use acrylic paints unless I'm willing to wait a few weeks or months before applying topcoat, and invest in a random orbit sander to make grain filling and other sanding WAY easier, etc. - but since there is no Kauer Banshee or other Firebird clone with a bolt-on neck and kickass Miami Sunset fade, I'll take what I can get. Also not having to cough up $4500-$6000 helps (I'm not gonna do the "how many hours of my time did I spend and how much was THAT worth" calculation).

I tried to change the fretboard radius to 9.5". I don't think it fully executed the change, but the frets are at least leveled, dressed, and polished.

The paint is definitely not perfect. I sure as hell sanded through at some points. There's chips from where I pushed the pots through. There's a big burn on the back where some solder dropped before it had fully cooled.

I'd hoped the lower bout sticking upwards would make barreing easier. So far I'm not sure if it has. The nature of the tailpiece and bridge is such that the action isn't going to be as low as I'd want, and swapping in a Mustang bridge didn't help since the tailpiece is just a bit too wide, causing issues.

But it WORKS. I got the electronics right on the first try. It's neatly done and fully grounded. I didn't shock myself during testing. The neck is level. It's loving cool as hell. The kit was only like $150, the tools were around $90ish total, but the learning was invaluable.

Now all I need to do is see if there's a place that can rent me a Vintera II Tele to see if I really like the 7.25" radius that I tried the other day.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Actually, the thread's advice was to buy a Rat.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

duodenum posted:

Actually, the thread's advice was to buy a Rat.

Two months ago I had 0 rats and now I have at least 4 :shobon:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I assume you mean the rodents but if you mean the pedals chain em together and join sunn o)))

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Last night I saw Lukas Nelson and promise of the real. I've always liked their music but was very curious to see them live. I think tickets were $40-50?

lovely part was they had their gear truck stolen before the show. Thankfully it was recovered quickly with only a sound board, keyboard and some lights/pedals stolen.

His notable guitars were a 56 les Paul Junior. It sounds absolutely incredible, the last notable time I heard one live was Charlie Starr from BlackBerry smoke. LOJs were never ready

He mostly played his custom nacho telecaster which was surprisingly dual humbucker. It still sounded great and was mostly in the bridge position. Great twang and crunch. He didn't use a pick most of the time.

He also has a '64 335. That sounds like heaven and it's starting to make me want a 335. It sounded absolutely incredible with a perfect mix of clown and grit. They're just so expensive. I couldn't see his amps but he apparently only plays with magnatone or fender amps halfway cranked with a boss blues driver.

Anyway the show was great. The band was super tight and tone was remarkable.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hi thread. I've never posted in here before, but I recently bought something rare, and now I've spruced it up and replaced all the broken bits I figured I'd share it with you all.

JDM Epi LP custom with Nitro finish. Plays like a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
HELL YEAH