Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah navalny was probably just seriously reduced after being poisoned and then got killed by being exposed to arctic russian prison conditions not being an especially healthy lifestyle

if anything it's a rather inconvenient time for him to die from putin's perspective. much better to have the election over with first - now they've barred one opposition candidate from running, having navalny die rather than just rage impotently from the sidelines only makes the repression that much more visible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gresh posted:

I'm sure everyone currently pooring one out for the CIA's Juan Guaido of Russia were equally as outraged as Ukraine torturing and murdering American citizen Red Pill coach Gonzalo Lira and did everything they could to get him released.

Nonsense posted:

very normal

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Everyone's asking how Navalny is doing with the undiagnosed heart condition, but nobody is asking how Strelkov is doing in prison with his diagnosed heart condition.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Navalny was a man with a complex fate

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would simply not return to the country with a infamously assassination-happy ruler where I was a wanted dissident.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Everyone's asking how Navalny is doing with the undiagnosed heart condition, but nobody is asking how Strelkov is doing in prison with his diagnosed heart condition.

Strelkov probably should get with the program at this point.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

1stGear posted:

I would simply not return to the country with a infamously assassination-happy ruler where I was a wanted dissident.

idk, worked out for Lenin.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

When Putin wins the war, he will release Igor. Guy is affectionately being referred to as "Russian Yue Fei" by Chinese netizens. Yue Fei was a famous general who kept writing letters to the emperor to restart war with northern barbarians to reclaim the lost land . He got killed by the emperor later.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Navalny was smiling and laughing the day before his death, Putin executed him.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

She eventually stayed on the front as a paramedic with the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps (Right Sector)

These fascist paramilitaries are about 25% medics.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Feb 16, 2024

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I thought he would linger a bit for the sake of negotiations. I guess the Kremlin doesn’t give an f at this point.

Yeah it looks like they are screwed. They should have withdrawn as soon as the Russians broke through in the north. Otherwise, I guess they are liquidating political types but they are some of the only remaining forces with decent kit and training.

That said, this is just another battle in a long war, and there will be another mini-verdun somewhere else.

How many muddy graves of the Ukrainian field army can Ukraine really afford to have

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wrong thread )

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
The Avdeevka collapse over the last 24 hours has been something else.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Freezer posted:

idk, worked out for Lenin.

Turns out Navalny was no Lenin. Oh well.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/RT_com/status/1758546784031523313?s=20

quote:

Zelensky signs marijuana law
Ukraine has legalized medical cannabis; the first batches of the imported product are expected later this year

Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky has signed a bill legalizing the medical use of cannabis, with officials arguing that it will help both soldiers and civilians treat post-traumatic stress disorder amid the ongoing conflict with Russia.

Lawmakers will now work on the necessary regulations to allow the import of cannabis-based products, as developing domestic cultivation will take more time.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

VoicesCanBe posted:

but they sent in their best troops? not those idiot azov jokers who messed up their last major operation

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

How many muddy graves of the Ukrainian field army can Ukraine really afford to have

It isn’t infinite but they haven’t pulled out the full stops. Their attempt to keep the lines of supply open are clearly much weaker than Bakhmut and it doesn’t seem there is any real attempt at any counter-offensive.

That said even if they have a marginally held static line, the Russians probably don’t want to conduct a massive attack like the first invasion. It just is inefficient compared to baiting the Ukrainians into constant traps until the army or public at large breaks.

In that sense it isn’t over. The Ukrainians can’t win but they doesn’t mean they can’t drag it out.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VoicesCanBe posted:

You know things are getting ugly when Ukrainian sources are claiming that the casualties being incurred by both sides are "roughly even"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the name that blood and soil metal band guitarist guy somebody mentioned on the thread before? Is he in Avdiivka right now? Pray for metal band nazi.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin should besiege Odessa

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So that leaves Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, right?

https://x.com/Tsihanouskaya/status/1758559593016287348?s=20

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
The war is over in the sense that Ukraine can't actually win (i.e. reclaim all of its lost territory) barring a series of miracles. But it's going to continue for a very long time and even now with Ukraine suffering collapses at the frontline, they're only local and aren't going to lead to large-scale collapses anytime soon.

The war will continue into 2025 and possibly 2026.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is a question of lingering, that said the last couple months really haven’t been great beyond some naval action which isn’t going to change the conflict.

I would say the Ukrainian army now isn’t even the Ukrainian army of 6-8 months ago….hell 4 months ago.

That said, there really isn’t an answer because we don’t know the exact trigger or plan for the Russians. The Ukrainians are hardly resisting, at least on land, but the war could still go a lot of ways.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Feb 16, 2024

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

VoicesCanBe posted:

The war is over in the sense that Ukraine can't actually win (i.e. reclaim all of its lost territory) barring a series of miracles.

just you wait for the F-16s, they’ll turn this whole
thing around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ukraine doesn’t have a navy so there hasn’t been naval action no

they don’t have an Air Force either. or ammo. or troops.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Рыбарь posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)

The NATO instructors did not prepare them for this.

n.p. Pobeda, Kurakhov direction.

The leopard, moving to firing positions, flew into the funnel from the FAB.

The enemy fled in a hurry, abandoning the equipment to its fate. Have you presented the commander's face?

We'll show you what happened next with the German soon.

special forces archangel. Subscribe.
(from t.me/rybar/57202, via tgsa)

Some ukranians rammed their leopard into a ditch and first thing they did was get the gently caress out

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

BearsBearsBears posted:

These fascist paramilitaries are about 25% medics.

need more pyros for balance :hai:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

Remarks by Vice President Harris at the Munich Security Conference | Munich, Germany | The White House

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS: Good afternoon. Good afternoon. (Applause.) Thank you, thank you.

Thank you, Christoph. Thank you. Thank you for your leadership.

Before I begin today, we’ve all just received reports that Aleksey Navalny has died in Russia. This is, of course, terrible news, which we are working to confirm.

My prayers are with his family, including his wife, Yulia, who is with us today.

And if confirmed, this would be a further sign of Putin’s brutality. Whatever story they tell, let us be clear: Russia is responsible.

And we will have more to say on this later.

I strongly believe America’s role of global leadership is to the direct benefit of the American people. Our leadership keeps our homeland safe, supports American jobs, secures supply chains, and opens new markets for American goods.

And I firmly believe our commitment to build and sustain alliances has helped America become the most powerful and prosperous country in the world — alliances that have prevented wars, defended freedom, and maintained stability from Europe to the Indo-Pacific. To put all of that at risk would be foolish.

President Biden and I have demonstrated there is a smarter way.

When it comes to America’s national security, our approach starts with our historic, direct investment in the working people of America, an investment which has helped build a resilient and innovative economy.

And over the past three years, backed by this strong track record at home, we have implemented our National Security Strategy.

In the Indo-Pacific, we have invested heavily in our alliances and partnerships and created new ones to ensure peace and security and, of course, the free flow of commerce.

We have responsibly managed competition with China, standing up to Beijing when necessary and also working together when it serves our interest.

In the Middle East, we are working to end the conflict that Hamas triggered on October 7th as soon as possible and ensure it ends in a way where Israel is secure, hostages are released, the humanitarian crisis is resolved, Hamas does not control Gaza, and Palestinians can enjoy their right to security, dignity, freedom, and self-determination. (Applause.)

This work — while we also work to counter aggression from Iran and its proxies, prevent regional escalation, and promote regional integration.

In addition, we have strengthened our partnerships on the continent of Africa, understanding that the innovation happening on the continent will shape the future of our world. We have also worked with partners in the Caribbean and throughout Latin America to increase private sector investment, address the climate crisis, and address the root causes of migration.

And here in Europe, we have joined forces with our friends and allies to stand up for freedom and democracy.

Christoph, I reflect on two years ago, when I first stood on this stage on the eve of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Many of — of us will recall that time when many thought Kyiv would fall within days.

Yet, the skill and the bravery of the people of Ukraine, along with the leadership of President Zelenskyy and the 50-nation coalition the United States has led, has allowed Ukraine to achieve what so many thought was impossible.

Today, Kyiv stands free and strong.
(Applause.)

The world has come together, with leadership from the United States, to defend the basic principles of sovereignty and territorial integrity and to stop an imperialist authoritarian from subjugating a free and democratic people.

Make no mistake, Putin’s war has already been an utter failure for Russia.

Ukraine has regained more than half the territory Russia occupied at the start of the conflict thanks, in part, to a massive supply of American and European weapons.

The Russian military has suffered severe setbacks. It has lost two thirds of its tanks and more than a third of its fleet in the Black Sea.

Because of Putin’s aggression and recklessness, Russia has also suffered over 300,000 casualties. Remember, that’s more than five times what it lost in 10 years in Afghanistan. And now it forces conscripts onto the frontlines with as little as two weeks of training.

We have also imposed economic costs on Russia for its aggression. And together with our G7 partners, we have frozen Russia’s sovereign assets and made clear Russia must pay for the damages it has caused to Ukraine.

I applaud the recent $54 billion commitment the EU made to support Ukraine on top of the more than $100 billion our European allies and partners have already dedicated.

You have made clear that Europe will stand with Ukraine, and I will make clear President Joe Biden and I stand with Ukraine. (Applause.)

In partnership with supportive, bipartisan majorities in both houses of the United States Congress, we will work to secure critical weapons and resources that Ukraine so badly needs. And let me be clear: The failure to do so would be a gift to Vladimir Putin.

More broadly, NATO is central to our approach to global security. For President Biden and me, our sacred commitment to NATO remains ironclad. And I do believe, as I have said before, NATO is the greatest military alliance the world has ever known.

NATO was founded on a very simple premise: An attack on one is an attack on all. And when it comes to conflict between nations, NATO has deterred aggression against its members to the benefit of the security of the American people.

For the past 75 years, NATO members have maintained this solemn pact, including on 9/11 when terrorists attacked America and for the first and only time, NATO invoked Article 5, the collective defense clause. And NATO stood by America’s side.

Nevertheless, recall, before the President and I took office, some questioned the usefulness of NATO, suggested it was, quote, “obsolete.”

Some in my country also questioned the value of our commitment to NATO’s collective defense and called for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Germany.

Now, thanks to the leadership of the United States, NATO is stronger, larger, more unified, and more effective than ever before.

We have reinforced NATO’s eastern flank with more weapons and forces, including air defense and fighter coverage, a sustained presence of army brigades, and a permanent U.S Army headquarters in Poland.

And, of course, Europeans are also stepping up. Since President Biden and I took office, the number of NATO members that have met the goal of spending 2 percent of GDP has doubled. NATO has also added one new member, and we’re on track to add another. And we look forward to welcoming both Finland and Sweden to Washington for NATO’s 75th anniversary summit this summer. (Applause.)

Around the world, we have made great progress. But ultimately, I do believe none of the gains we have made will be permanent unless we are vigilant. And let us remember, none of these gains were inevitable.

I ask you: Imagine if America turned our back on Ukraine and abandoned our NATO Allies and abandoned our treaty commitments. Imagine if we went easy on Putin, let alone encouraged him.

History offers a clue. If we stand by while an aggressor invades its neighbor with impunity, they will keep going. And in the case of Putin, that means all of Europe would be threatened.

If we fail to impose severe consequences on Russia, other authoritarians across the globe would be emboldened, because you see, they will be watching — they are watching and drawing lessons.

History has also shown us: If we only look inward, we cannot defeat threats from outside. Isolation is not insulation.

In fact, when America has isolated herself, threats have only grown.

I need not remind the people of Europe of a dark history when the forces of tyranny and fascism were on the march, and then America joined our allies in defense of freedom and to safeguard our collective security.

So, I’ll close with this. In these unsettled times, it is clear: America cannot retreat. America must stand strong for democracy. We must stand in defense of international rules and norms, and we must stand with our allies.

That is what represents the ideals of America, and the American people know that is what make us strong.

And make no mistake, the American people will meet this moment, and America will continue to lead.

I thank you very much. (Applause.)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Ukraine doesn’t have a navy so there hasn’t been naval action no

they don’t have an Air Force either. or ammo. or troops.

They do have some naval drones. That is almost it at this point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

(from t.me/rybar/57202, via tgsa)

Some ukranians rammed their leopard into a ditch and first thing they did was get the gently caress out

Lol

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Starsfan posted:

You know things are getting ugly when Ukrainian sources are claiming that the casualties being incurred by both sides are "roughly even"

Lol wow. Yeah that means the AFU is getting chewed up rapdily.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Norwegian Armed Forces are recruiting instructors, mostly former and current SOF to train Ukrainians in small boat tactics together with the Dutch. More small-scale stuff is coming up and down the rivers and in Crimea, i guess. Also donating ~$10 000 000 worth of small craft and boats

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it is amazing that people are doing orcface in this day and age
https://twitter.com/NATO/status/1758410811406516713

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

it is amazing that people are doing orcface in this day and age
https://twitter.com/NATO/status/1758410811406516713

lol why the gently caress is she wearing civilian cat's eye glasses instead of BEWs?!

:psyduck:

Also, wearing face camo yet the high vis national flag.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

I'm positive this topic has been chewed over like a piece of old gum, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Even though Navalny's demise was as predictable as a Kardashian selfie, it's still hitting me like a ton of bricks... bricks that were probably used to build one of Putin's palaces. It's a tough pill to swallow, especially when our political system seems to be moonwalking backwards to appease that Putin, who's about as charming as a hemorrhoid. On a brighter note, Biden's speech today was as sharp as a tack, though I highly doubt these political vampires will react unless there's a garlic clove involved. Here's a hearty "screw you" to the GOP and Putin, who are about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Navalny didn't kill himself

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

its never gonna stop being bizarre to see the NAFO types post these insane fantasies about "what if Ukraine just blew up all of Russia's wartime manufacturing and logistics capabilities?"

like how do you get this detached from the reality of the war

idk

Just load up some marines in a medivac and drop them into your enemies worker line

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Nix Panicus posted:

He sort of did in a way

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

He also killed our dreams

Adbot