Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Best of luck.

Toddler boy had explosive diarrhea that would leak down his onesy pant leg and so potty training was put on hold for the 3 days that was going on in his system. The poop this morning was more solid so we are back to underware. It is a lifelong project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Best of luck.

Toddler boy had explosive diarrhea that would leak down his onesy pant leg and so potty training was put on hold for the 3 days that was going on in his system. The poop this morning was more solid so we are back to underware. It is a lifelong project.

yikes! good luck with that

My kid is completely mentally and physically "ready" to use the potty, as evidenced by the fact that she is currently just loving holding it in all morning; she's just stubborn (like I was as a kid). That's actually making today easier than the typical "constant pee pants" potty-training experience, she just has tantrums whenever we try actually suggesting that she pee on the potty

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
have you tried bribery

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

have you tried bribery

she is remarkably incorruptible

like, if we tell her she can have a special dessert if she eats her vegetables she's just like "ok no dessert"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
badass kid

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if that was what i was up against i think i would just offer an unconditional surrender.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

if that was what i was up against i think i would just offer an unconditional surrender.

My buddy's blond hair blue eyed daughter was kicked out of childcare for "too many accidents" when she turned 4. I always took that to heart: if she couldnt be accommodated with patience and understanding then my child will have no chance.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KirbyKhan posted:

My buddy's blond hair blue eyed daughter was kicked out of childcare for "too many accidents" when she turned 4. I always took that to heart: if she couldnt be accommodated with patience and understanding then my child will have no chance.

OTOH maybe there's the racism of low expectations?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loquacius posted:

like, if we tell her she can have a special dessert if she eats her vegetables she's just like "ok no dessert"

Lol yeah same with mine

I'm so proud. And frustrated

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's a fool's errand to tie nutritional intake to treat dispensation. it never works AND it makes hosed up relationships to healthy food.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's a fool's errand to tie nutritional intake to treat dispensation. it never works AND it makes hosed up relationships to healthy food.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

my son is like this, any attempt at bribery is met with "no, i don't want it"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We did the Winnie the Pooh weekend potty training method, went by fairly quickly

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We've got a sticker chart with fabulous prizes and it is still empty; the current worry is that she's just gonna get used to the routine of washing out her clothes and self every time she pees her pants (has happened twice since initial floor-peeing incident)

Mustached Demon posted:

We did the Winnie the Pooh weekend potty training method, went by fairly quickly

Tried this last time; the issue was that we weren't mentally prepared for the battle-of-wills that is potty-training a toddler who is fully capable of using the potty but simply does not want to. Had to take a nice long break from it, but now is the time and we are in it to win it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

yeah potty training is a war of attrition where it's totally ok to pull back, regroup, and come at it stronger

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

loquacius posted:

We're doing it this time, guys. We're potty-training the 3-year-old. It's gonna happen.

Thus far she has peed on the bathroom floor once and has not peed since. Her counter-strategy to us just not letting her wear diapers all day, apparently, is to drink nothing and never pee again. Little does she know, though, that this would technically qualify her as potty-trained. Checkmate :smug:

The thing that worked for us was making our kid sit on the potty/toilet every half hour. We set up a timer after every time, just whenever the alarm went off it was lol gently caress you it's pee pee time go sit on the potty kid. It took like a week

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mustached Demon posted:

yeah potty training is a war of attrition where it's totally ok to pull back, regroup, and come at it stronger

yes

what finally worked for us was to have the whole family sit in the bathroom for a while when we thought she hadn't needed a diaper change in a long time and then shower her with praise when she finally just started peeing in the toilet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:siren:we have a potty pee:siren:

she claimed she didn't have to pee but was obviously holding it in; we told her she was sitting on the potty until she peed and, eventually, she did! I jumped up and down for her and she laughed and got a sticker and a lollypop. Hopefully she doesn't just decide she's done with it now lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

loquacius posted:

:siren:we have a potty pee:siren:

she claimed she didn't have to pee but was obviously holding it in; we told her she was sitting on the potty until she peed and, eventually, she did! I jumped up and down for her and she laughed and got a sticker and a lollypop. Hopefully she doesn't just decide she's done with it now lol

oh she’s done with it now and will resume when she feels like it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can easily out willpower a 2 year old. I believe in u

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KirbyKhan posted:

You can easily out willpower a 2 year old. I believe in u

IDK, she seems to have inherited my Will of the Poster, and gets a whole lot more sleep I do.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

HootTheOwl posted:

IDK, she seems to have inherited my Will of the Poster, and gets a whole lot more sleep I do.

buy her an account so she sleeps less

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

sonatinas posted:

oh she’s done with it now and will resume when she feels like it

all the same congrats

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

buy her an account so she sleeps less

Imagine getting out posted by someone who can't read

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Daughter and wife have been sitting in the bathroom for like half an hour. She's apparently having shy bladder but doesn't want my wife to leave

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
how much should we pay a babysitter who doesn't know how much to charge

just watching the seven year old for a few hours

edit: babysitter is 16ish if that matters

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Imagine getting out posted by someone who can't read

they're the OG shitposters. We can only hope to re-attain the greatness that we all once had within us

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

How did you find a babysitter in the first place? I feel so atomized in society that that tradition seems impossible.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
drat I have no clue but when you find out report back

daughter snuck a candy bar before breakfast today but then she read to mom and dad while we ate breakfast so I'm gonna call it a wash

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

25 bucks an hour and yes I know that might seem steep but a) you're paying them to keep your child alive and b) you want this babysitter you've found to think of you positively and be available in the future.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

I'd say less than minimum wage in your area by 1/2 to 1/3, then you can round up. So probably just give them a $20.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Benagain posted:

25 bucks an hour and yes I know that might seem steep but a) you're paying them to keep your child alive and b) you want this babysitter you've found to think of you positively and be available in the future.

poo poo I'll babysit for you. $25/hr lol

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Don't pay less than minimum wage to the 16 year old who doesn't know any better.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Benagain posted:

Yeah this

Luckily we haven't needed to pay for a babysitter yet but this would be our approach too

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

pre 2020 it was 15 then during the 8 month school closure we paid 20 now it will probably be 20-25.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd do 15-20 per hour personally

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

We're offering a 16 year old 30 bucks an hour to babysit our 2 and 5 year old. My wife thought it was a little much, but my feelings are I need to make it worth her while and for her to keep coming back. It's about 3x minimum wage for the age bracket here

Struensee has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Feb 17, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I see a bunch of tweens while I'm walking the dog who hopefully will be teens by the time I'm comfortable with leaving her behind

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

How did you find a babysitter in the first place? I feel so atomized in society that that tradition seems impossible.

her gymnastics classes are primarily taught by teenagers and one of them who we like (and the kid likes etc) mentioned "hey if you're looking for a babysitter..." and for the reasons you described we were instantly interested

re: pay, she was like "idk probably like 15 dollars an hour?" but we could tell she has no idea how to think about money/labor, so I wanted to know how much we should actually pay her since I knew it'd be more (and yeah including the "pay extra so she wants to keep doing it" part)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

we found our baby sitters through daycare because it was through the local CC. basically we had to secure one like first week into new semester because other families would try and get the students who were assistants as well.

we won out because we paid the most generally. granted the place we lived at the time had a reputation for cheap rear end people who think services haven’t changed since 1990.

it’s so hosed up. every step of our childcare from baby to even now at 2nd grade has been a combo of shelling out $$$ , scrambling, research, and luck.

on the other hand our neighbors who are probably a little bit younger than us have both sets of grandparents in town and are not that elderly on deck to take care of their 2 kids all the time.