Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sandwolf posted:

I’m such a loser but Cyclops saying that poo poo at the end got me hype

:hellyeah:

Also Gambit charging wolverine's claws is probably dumb too but also hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

live with fruit posted:

The poster reveal does not suggest that they're going to get rid of the camp.

Well yeah thats clear to everyone, but what I mean is doing camp on film well treads a fine line between silly fun and a horrible embarrassment. I don't know if the Marvel can be trusted to tread that line. I just worry that Marvel Studios is too much of a factory to really do anything actually creative at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

This looks like a different kind of bad, though. Like, it has the same kind of 90's style, but the computer animated look of the recent DC animated movies, if that makes sense.

It's a visual design over the tech involved. I don't know if I'm describing it right, but it feels different. I know they weren't going to spin up a traditional animation studio for one show. But it definitely feels different.

I couldn't put my finger on it but when you said recent DC animated movies it snapped into place. It reminds me of those which makes me automatically extremely wary.

The Grumbles posted:

Well yeah thats clear to everyone, but what I mean is doing camp on film well treads a fine line between silly fun and a horrible embarrassment. I don't know if the Marvel can be trusted to tread that line. I just worry that Marvel Studios is too much of a factory to really do anything actually creative at this point.

Yeah that is a tough-rear end balance to hit. Because the original show had camp but the show was also seriously trying to adapt a bunch of classic X-Men stories seriously. So you lean too far one way, you end up just parodying the original (which honestly I'd be fine with), you go the other, you're just making a new X-Men series (which I'd also be fine with but then why the whole 90s aesthetic)

e: also agreeing to the sentiment that Gambit charging Wolverine rules. Gives me vibes of the ol' classic charging up Rockslide move

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 16, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

HATEPOSTING posted:

But it doesn't

The FPS looks off, but the animation and design of all the characters look pretty much the same to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sentinel Red posted:

Nah, there's a new animated Maddie figure design being released to go with the series.

I wonder if that's her and not Jean. They could be following the comics "Jean is dead, but Scott met a woman who looks exactly like her, and they have a kid together, Cable!".

I'm fine with the animation, but I'd love if they did a Marvel animated series using the studio that made the later Clone Wars and the Bad Batch. Those shows look gorgeous.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I had completely forgotten that Adam Driver was rumored to play Reed, there is something funny about the idea that an actor who has no facial expressions should play someone like that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I couldn't put my finger on it but when you said recent DC animated movies it snapped into place. It reminds me of those which makes me automatically extremely wary.

Yeah that is a tough-rear end balance to hit. Because the original show had camp but the show was also seriously trying to adapt a bunch of classic X-Men stories seriously. So you lean too far one way, you end up just parodying the original (which honestly I'd be fine with), you go the other, you're just making a new X-Men series (which I'd also be fine with but then why the whole 90s aesthetic)

e: also agreeing to the sentiment that Gambit charging Wolverine rules. Gives me vibes of the ol' classic charging up Rockslide move

I was talkin about fantastic four but yeah I guess it applies to x men too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oasx posted:

I had completely forgotten that Adam Driver was rumored to play Reed, there is something funny about the idea that an actor who has no facial expressions should play someone like that.

Reed Richards is the one character where they could add the facial expressions with CGI and not only would nobody complain if it looked weird, they'd actually expect it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
just adam driver bein' all chris pine's magic doppelganger in D&D'd for two hours

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Jedit posted:

Reed Richards is the one character where they could add the facial expressions with CGI and not only would nobody complain if it looked weird, they'd actually expect it.

So you’re saying Jim Carey should play Reed Richards to keep costs down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I actually wouldn’t be against a Jim Carrey Reed. When he plays straight, he’s very good.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Driver as Doom though

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Jon Hamm?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cage Kicker posted:

Driver as Doom though

Oh, gently caress. I didn't know I wanted this until this post.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HD2xG92-0

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Red posted:

Oh, gently caress. I didn't know I wanted this until this post.

Are there any examples of him really chewing scenery? This is very important for deciding whether or not I can get behind this.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I saw people asking for a Glenn Howerton Doom recently. I’d definitely prefer that to Driver.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Super Deuce posted:

I saw people asking for a Glenn Howerton Doom recently. I’d definitely prefer that to Driver.

DOOM IS A 5-STAR MAN!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Are there any examples of him really chewing scenery? This is very important for deciding whether or not I can get behind this.

That's kind of what he does. Star Wars, Girls, Marriage Story,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFdroN7d0w

Maybe he's worried about being typecast as a masked villain in children's stories though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

A.o.D. posted:

KyloRenMORE.gif

Kylo Ren may be why he doesn't want to take it, though. He's already played one masked, caped villain in a Disney franchise.

edit:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Maybe he's worried about being typecast as a masked villain in children's stories though.
Beaten.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Actually, who'd be in the frame if they decided to go Victoria von Doom?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Monica Bellucci posted:

Eva Green? She's only 5 years younger than Pedro, so the age is about right for them to be college friends, movie age wise.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Rosamund Pike?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kumba posted:

Rosamund Pike?

Ooh, also good. Her role in Gone Girl was...quite something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thrawn527 posted:

Eva Green? She's only 5 years younger than Pedro, so the age is about right for them to be college friends, movie age wise.

Oh man, Crazy Eyes Green would be amazing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That was an invitation to post video clips, not a request to convince me, you dummies.

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's kind of what he does. Star Wars, Girls, Marriage Story,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFdroN7d0w

I was a child in a home like this. This didn't register as scenery chewing to me.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 16, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Christoph Waltz would be by far the best pick for Doom

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Super Deuce posted:

Yes, because of the implication.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Firebert posted:

Christoph Waltz would be by far the best pick for Doom

Movie age can be weird, but the man is 67, so I think he's too old to be a college contemporary of Reed, when Pedro is 48.

A.o.D. posted:

That was an invitation to post video clips, not a request to convince me, you dummies.

Alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGnt-JLS4bU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIHO9M8Tk0Y

But as posted earlier, he may not want to play another masked, caped villain in a Disney franchise.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 16, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Movie age can be weird, but the man is 67, so I think he's too old to be a college contemporary of Reed, when Pedro is 48.

It works if you are transporting Reed from the 60s to modern times, just smear Waltz with computers for the brief flashback!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Firebert posted:

It works if you are transporting Reed from the 60s to modern times, just smear Waltz with computers for the brief flashback!

You're trying to cover a 20 year age difference with a 60 year time jump. That's over correcting.

The 60's were, like, a long time ago. I guess you could make it work if Doom was also in a time portal, but slightly less affected?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

You're trying to cover a 20 year age difference with a 60 year time jump. That's over correcting.

The 60's were, like, a long time ago. I guess you could make it work if Doom was also in a time portal, but slightly less affected?

Just stick them in different parts of the Quantum Realm that aged them differently.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thrawn527 posted:

Eva Green can provide some absolute top tier scenery chewing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

thrawn527 posted:

Excuse me, but the 60s were a mere 40 years ago. The 80s were just 20 years ago. The 90s, the 2000s, and the 2010s were all just a couple years ago.

I will not be taking any questions at this time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Monica Bellucci posted:

Theron is the no brainer choice. Blunt is overdue for a MCU outing, but IDK if she can hit the right level of imperiousness. Carrie Coons maybe? Too bad Adèle Haenel is retired, she'd kill it.

They're both slightly too young to be contemporaries of Pascal, but Nicole Beharie or Michaela Coel would be interesting choices.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pure horseshit. Boycott.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

Theron is the no brainer choice.

She’s Clea now, who I hope we see more of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28jSYyDEzqE

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

She’s Clea now, who I hope we see more of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28jSYyDEzqE

Remember when the post credit scenes were about the next movie, and not about a movie we’d hopefully see several years from now, maybe if we were lucky? Good times.

So what is Harry Styles up to?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 17, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are a lot of post-credit teases that I imagine are not getting paid off for awhile, if at all. I'm sure we will get a Dr. Strange 3 down the road, but like are we ever going to get a payoff for the stuff at the end of say, The Eternals? I wouldn't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are people currently arguing that motherfucking Disney is bad at animation?

Am I understanding that right?