Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

goatface posted:

Will it be all in the sand or are they going into the wider worlds and leaning into the later novel weirdness?

Is there going to be an Honored Matre class

What does the skill tree look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The one thing I don't get with Embracer is how many indie devs and publishers took the deal. Gotta wonder what they told the devs and publishers to get them on board.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Here is a big pile of money."

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

I said come in! posted:

The only interesting game Funcom has done is Anarchy Online, but even that is not fun to play. None of their MMORPGs are good.

I think you mean The Longest Journey.

It is shocking that that company is still around

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think i had fun with The Secret World?
Or maybe it's just the name "funcom" that's confusing my memory

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dabir posted:

"Here is a big pile of money."

yeah, it's the same economics behind epic store indie exclusives: you could remain independent, but you're in an industry with razor thin margins where a single failure could destroy your ability to continue to produce, so shaking the devil's hand isn't something most of them could refuse

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Wait, what happened at the Disco Elysium studio? I dont really follow gaming news.

Haven't heard anything since they made that large-ish expansion available.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The short of it is that in order to get the game published the core ZA/UM folks had to partner with investors, one of whom had been convicted of major financial fraud in Estonia.

After the success of the game the capitalists of course decided to extract maximum value out of the property which is why they did merch deals and stuff with Amazon that you might think would not make any sense for communist avant-garde artists, which of course was why the capitalists also forced them all out.

People Make Games, who usually do good investigative work, put out a video that basically went "shrug, maybe there were problems on both sides, it's complicated" but lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/cultofthelamb/status/1758174332964982892

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1758520509178978786?t=oAcbWjv4tMYOwh2mVZCQGg&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Wait, what happened at the Disco Elysium studio? I dont really follow gaming news.

https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1758296300737708106

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I spent 48 hours playing Pokemon Emerald (the only one I've played since Blue/Yellow and Gold) and I mistimed my grinding so I didn't have enough levels to beat the Elite Four, so I looked up the ending on YouTube. It was fun, though. According to Howlongtobeat, the median time for the game is 30 hours and 8 minutes.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 16, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Khanstant posted:

This and I think it should also be a good one too.

Maybe we move all existing IP into the Disney Vault for 30 years. We'll be in our 60s when they can next churn out a bunch of remakes and new sequels.

I think the actual right procedure is the exact opposite of this. Make copyrights only last for, like five years, so there is way less incentive to milk your sequels because anybody can make Mario or Mass Effect or whatever, and you have to actually win on quality rather than being the only ones allowed to make a game with certain characters/setting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They got Space Marines in Call of Duty now but they have really weird proportions

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Switch 2 is coming in early 2025

get ready for a year of mostly remakes on switch

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gripweed posted:

They got Space Marines in Call of Duty now but they have really weird proportions

gamers will demand it has the exact same hitbox as every other character, so they can't be eight feet tall like they're supposed to be

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rumor has it that Respawn is now working on a Star Wars game where you play as a Mandalorian (not that one) (not that one either)

Justice for 1313, finally?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'd seem all out of place if they were properly twice as wide.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The hell is the point of playing as a Space Marine if you're just as good as the grunts.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mr. Nemo posted:

One of their investors drove the original creators out of the company and basically took it over with some very sketchy financials (borrowing money from the company by selling things to himself for a dollar that he then used to purchase the company from himself and the other investors), giving him full control over the company and IP and leaving the original folks unable to create anything new in the setting they'd spent 20 years developing in addition to losing control over the game they already published.

There was some drama after that between the original creators and the folks who worked on the game but decided to stay at the company, but that's sort of its own thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I've got the Black & White sea shanty completely lodged in my brain

ohhhhhh we've got this notion that we'd quite like to sail the ocean

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We're not keen on sinking, so we're all here sitting thinking...

I still get it stuck in my head sometimes too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HopperUK posted:

GlyphGryph posted:

We're not keen on sinking, so we're all here sitting thinking...

I still get it stuck in my head sometimes too.

die

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

:lol:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

Switch 2 is coming in early 2025

get ready for a year of mostly remakes on switch

For real this time?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think I'll ever buy another console.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I never liked playing Black & White for too long because I had one of those names it would whisper to you late at night and it was scary :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

-me watching all the scalpers buying the Switch 2

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I never liked playing Black & White for too long because I had one of those names it would whisper to you late at night and it was scary :(

Should have been in bed so you were rested for school idiot

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think i would only buy a 2witch after Mr. nintendo closes the sw1tch eshop. Which will probably won't be too soon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible I'll buy one. I'll enjoy all the Switch exclusives I missed while the Switch 2 exclusive library builds up

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe the stores will have enough consoles for everyone and at a reasonable price :)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Also it took me a bit to remember it but gently caress you

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

eidle-eidle eee, eidle-eidle eeee

we simply can't leave until we get some wooooood

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

die

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not looking like it at this rate

Maybe a Switch 2 revision at some point

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ErrEff posted:

It's a survival game, by Funcom. Think Conan: Exiles. You punch rocks and build shelters.

They've also said it is set in an alternative timeline, meaning they can do whatever they want and keep a bunch of dead characters alive.
don't need an alternate timeline if i'm just gonna staff up my base with captured duncan idahos

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

What the loving poo poo, I played Black & White for like 10 minutes two decades ago, how in the bloody hell do I remember that with perfect clarity?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't even turned my Switch on since I completed SMTV. PS4 since Spiderman which is on PC now anyways. The console manufacturers are more interested in pushing nostalgia bait and weird online rental services than they are in funding interesting games. Sad, almost glad Sony closed Japan studio instead of letting us think they might actually put out something worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't even begin to guess what Nintendo might do for their next console.