Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

explosivo posted:

If you press and hold the d-pad direction it quickly jumps to the first thing in the list. I always put my most important spells first so I could quickly switch to it when I needed to by holding the d-pad direction down. Same with flasks/items.

Yeah this is the absolutely critical stat. Put buffs at the end and order everything else in order of how often you use them. Pretty soon it's like a fighting game where every combo starts with holding the up button, at least if you want to really stretch out and use a ton of spells which why else play a caster?

Good for the item bar too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Ah.

Let me find and quickly get to the d-pad on my keyboard with a wasd setup.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

dialhforhero posted:

Ah.

Have you considered changing the bind to something you can get to faster, rather than having it the other side of the keyboard

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If it's any consolation, controller users have the same problem of not being able to scroll back through spell lists.

If you intend to switch spells during combat you really need to think about what order you memorise them and get used to long-pressing the switch button.

I usually have the one that cleanses flame and rot first, then order healing to heal death because those statuses can completely ratfuck you if you don't deal with them quickly.

E: it does make me wonder though about how many thumbs developers think we have. If you want to switch d-pad to replenish your mana, you need to either switch to a weird monster hunter claw grip with the other hand or not move during combat, which is pretty much an open invitation to the enemy to poise break you, in which case you can't take the potion / use the item anyway.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 16, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dialhforhero posted:

Ah.

I missed the part about KB+M but I think the tip still applies. But you do you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My strategy of just dying to deathblight like a moron because of a combination of being foolishly overconfident and wanting a more fun spell in that slot is way easier

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

dialhforhero posted:

Ah.

Works the same with M+KB, which is what I’m using.
I have my spells on M4 (mouse side up button) and my flasks/pots on M5 (mouse side down button). Long press on either one will return the first slot for the spells or the items respectively.

I also have right hand weapon select on scroll up and left hand on scroll down. This way you never have to touch the keyboard arrow cluster.

Well, ok, I guess I do use the arrow cluster for pouch stuff, but that’s only for non-emergency things like torrent, spirit bell and buff consumables.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
My experience with caster builds is:

- INT - I ended up spamming Wing of Astel's Nebula more than casting spells.
- INT/FTH - I ended up spamming Sword of Night and Flame's weapon arts.
- FTH - I ended up casting a bunch of buffs for my weapon damage
- ARC - I ended up poking everything to death with Bloody Helice and Occult Venomous Fangs

The only time I actually felt excited to cast spells was to snipe birds and such at long range. As soon as there's a boss healthbar on my screen, all notions of casting leave my brain.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Dr Cheesequake posted:

Works the same with M+KB, which is what I’m using.
I have my spells on M4 (mouse side up button) and my flasks/pots on M5 (mouse side down button). Long press on either one will return the first slot for the spells or the items respectively.

I also have right hand weapon select on scroll up and left hand on scroll down. This way you never have to touch the keyboard arrow cluster.

Well, ok, I guess I do use the arrow cluster for pouch stuff, but that’s only for non-emergency things like torrent, spirit bell and buff consumables.

I didn’t know about the long press.

My arrow cluster is just like yours, though I like how holding E and moving mouse wheel up or down activates them. That’s how I have my lantern and Torrent bound.

The left and right are for buffs I apply right before going through boss fog.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Charge casting Stars of Ruin is extremely satisfying, deletes most enemies in one cast as a pure INT caster. Probably my favorite spell in the game.

Night comet is also great, either charged or regular casted.

Unseen Form is great for being hard to see to get the opening hit in a tight room which can be tough for casters.

Like 99% of the game has been easy as a caster but Malenia and a few cramped rooms in the final 2 dungeons have been a bit tough.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
After I’m done my gravity build run I was planning on doing an Int/Fth fundamentalist build but man, the Sword of Night and Flame really does not spark joy, thematically speaking

I hope the dlc adds some more options, and makes it semi-viable without having to go all the way to ~50/50

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
even being heavily statted into int/fth I still used death's poker in my first new game cycle. the sword of night and flame is nice and all but you don't need to feel like it's your only option, right?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

doomfunk posted:

even being heavily statted into int/fth I still used death's poker in my first new game cycle. the sword of night and flame is nice and all but you don't need to feel like it's your only option, right?

mechanically there are a few options, but thematically there are basically none. I'm trying to roleplay here!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

- ARC - I ended up poking everything to death with Bloody Helice and Occult Venomous Fangs

The only time I actually felt excited to cast spells was to snipe birds and such at long range. As soon as there's a boss healthbar on my screen, all notions of casting leave my brain.

Yeah that matches my experiences except I always just tilt towards faith. There's just no substitute for setting poo poo on fire and pelting things with lightning.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

mechanically there are a few options, but thematically there are basically none. I'm trying to roleplay here!

I was too! death spells are int/fth and I swung the poker and wore the mausoleum set and twin bird shield exclusively.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah you've really got to force yourself to just use spells instead of treating it like uniquely scaling melee, it's imho the one downside of the whetstone system, but I also use non-somber weapons exclusively because it's tough to give up the flexibility and slightly variable moveset

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think I'm stuck. Everything seems too tough to get past, and I'm just sort of milling around, occasionally getting enough runes for a level up but not really knowing where to put the point.

Sort of unsure where to go next:

- Moghwyn mausoleum, with a boss I can't matchmake for in one direction and loving LASER GIANTS if I go the other,

Screw that noise, just use the sacred tear physick that completely negates Moghwyns Nihil blood curse. Piece of cake boss other wise. Avoid the AOE blood attacks, he can be staggered easily. And incredibly, he is suceptible to bleed

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

doomfunk posted:

I was too! death spells are int/fth and I swung the poker and wore the mausoleum set and twin bird shield exclusively.

I like that idea, that’s not a build I’ve tried. But I want to make a fundamentalist build work and rely heavily on the ring of light spells. I can’t rely on the ring spells exclusively so I’m looking for options that keep with the theme

I saw some discussion a few pages back about art of war skills scaling separately from their affinity. Are there any skills that scale with int on top of a Sacred affinity? Or vice versa, a faith scaling skill with a magic or cold affinity?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I like that idea, that’s not a build I’ve tried. But I want to make a fundamentalist build work and rely heavily on the ring of light spells. I can’t rely on the ring spells exclusively so I’m looking for options that keep with the theme

Golden order greatsword! Doesn’t get anything from INT unfortunately, but it looks the part

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

dialhforhero posted:

I WANT to use magic but I feel like there are only three good spells and I never have the patience to slog through it to get my stats up to use them or to acquire them.

You can beat the game with your starter weapon on any melee build.

There are at least 5 fantastic spells, night comet, rock sling, frost blade, the full moon one, the laser one, the Terra magic one that boosts your magic, the ambush one is fun. And those are just what I used

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

don't forget the other classics: the rot one, the rot one that flies, the flies one, the snow one, the weird silver cloud one, turn undead as seen in dungeons and dragons the movie, infinite slow rockets forever, infinite fast rockets forever (eating disorder edition), pocket sand, and pocket sand (angry)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The big loving hammer

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

ah yes, and who could forget big loving hammer's cousin: cannonball!

e: like joshing aside the spells are often just really loving cool and good in elden ring and I find that, as a designer, impressive. few duds and the ones that are are trying to do something cool.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

doomfunk posted:

yeah it rules to be like "oh I wonder if these magma spells from volcano Manor are any good?" and very quickly find out that no, they are of specific and dubious utility at best. rykard's rancor aside, it's pretty good against the big boys

Magma Shot can be good, but it has targeting problems where it will undershoot.

Mustang posted:

Like 99% of the game has been easy as a caster but Malenia and a few cramped rooms in the final 2 dungeons have been a bit tough.

The DMGS destroys her, if you're not averse to actually using a weapon.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dyz posted:

The big loving hammer

Those Haima boys had it right

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Frenzied blast is, no pun intended, completely insane. Very few people talk about how this swords-and-sorcery game has a loving sniper rifle in it.

Mentat Radnor posted:

What has your flask allocation been like?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ariong posted:

Frenzied blast is, no pun intended, completely insane. Very few people talk about how this swords-and-sorcery game has a loving sniper rifle in it.

Multiple sniper rifles. Sorcerer has Loretta’s greatbow/mastery which have stupid huge range

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

skasion posted:

Multiple sniper rifles. Sorcerer has Loretta’s greatbow/mastery which have stupid huge range

It’s not just the range that makes Frenzied Burst feel like a sniper rifle. It’s also the way the projectile travels so incredibly fast.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Paracelsus posted:

Magma Shot can be good, but it has targeting problems where it will undershoot.

The DMGS destroys her, if you're not averse to actually using a weapon.

WTF, I actually have that as one of my weapons I just never thought to try it on her. I was using bloodhound step on a katana to try to keep my distance from her, was the only way I could dodge her waterfowl dance.

Will try it when I help my buddy with her though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah the DMGS laser does ridiculous poise damage, the only issue is she hops away from it easily so you usually have to get her locked into an animation before swinging

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
giant hunt is also very good against melania

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mustang posted:

WTF, I actually have that as one of my weapons I just never thought to try it on her. I was using bloodhound step on a katana to try to keep my distance from her, was the only way I could dodge her waterfowl dance.

Will try it when I help my buddy with her though.

Double check which of Axe Talisman/Godfrey's/SoA boost the damage of the R2 beam attack.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Frenzied burst is fun because it also pierces shields somewhat, so you can use it to snipe the shield crucible knight on the Siofra Aqueduct from the cliff side, and his dumb rear end just has to take it. ;)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

War Wizard posted:

Frenzied burst is fun because it also pierces shields somewhat, so you can use it to snipe the shield crucible knight on the Siofra Aqueduct from the cliff side, and his dumb rear end just has to take it. ;)

I believe that’s just because it deals fire damage. Even the biggest toughest shields tend to have 50-65% fire damage reduction.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frenzied Burst does pierce enemies when it's charged. A think a shield will stop it but the holder takes big time stamina damage and a bunch of regular damage on top, and even then I think it still ends up going through them.

Very rare to actually nail more than 1 enemy with it but it's very satisfying when you do. Enemy AI also ignores it which helps.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ariong posted:

On FP-heavy builds I usually keep it even and rarely run out of either. Heck, if I have more than 20 FTH and access to heals and HoTs then I might run more blue than red.

Currently leveling a ARC level 166 invasion character, can't wait to be a bleed/rot/poison nuisance.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mentat Radnor posted:

On FP-heavy builds I usually keep it even and rarely run out of either. Heck, if I have more than 20 FTH and access to heals and HoTs then I might run more blue than red.

Currently leveling a ARC level 166 invasion character, can't wait to be a bleed/rot/poison nuisance.

I’m currently doing an incantation build where I run exactly 1 red flask. That has encouraged me to stay out of melee range, while having a bottomless supply of blue ones has encouraged me to use lots of incantations.

This video was great inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPGxnisC6o

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Ariong posted:

I’m currently doing an incantation build where I run exactly 1 red flask. That has encouraged me to stay out of melee range, while having a bottomless supply of blue ones has encouraged me to use lots of incantations.

This video was great inspiration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPGxnisC6o

Neat! I think I just enjoy the minigame of melee positioning so much that I get antsy sitting at range and casting, but that's a clever strat to direct your own behavior.

Semi-unrelated, but it has to do with flask usage: I love making miniature challenge runs for myself, like getting through legacy dungeons and unlocking every shortcut without sitting at a grace.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dyz posted:

Malenia can *technically* still be rotted. Its still a good status effect even on her. Thats how I saw a RL1 player beat her.

Personally I think the dung eater puppet just dumpsters her.

doomrider7 posted:

If I recall, she's susceptible to deadly poison which you can easily proc and craft from perfumes. That might be worth looking into. Ditto for some frost jars.

thank you for the suggestions. poison and rot seem very hard to proc on her, but the frost pots are doing good work. I came up with what I think is a good strategy: black knife's blade of death aow. using it with shabriri's woe, I can hold aggro on malenia while black knife tiche uses her own blade of death, which lets me stay far enough out of range that I can actually dodge waterfowl dance. now I'm getting to phase 2 pretty consistently and think I just need to learn her moves and get used to the leaf wings blocking her visual cues, which should be considerably easier than learning to dodge waterfowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can't even get down the sodding tree. I tried sneaking, i tried systematically sniping from a distance, I tried using one of the shockwave incantations to knock them off branches, but every time the long doots notice me I get one shot.

I cheesed that albinauric spot up by mohg's and got vig & dex to 60, and am wearing tree sentinel, but I don't feel any more powerful. Couldn't even take out the bell bearing hunter.

I think it's the uchi? It just doesn't seem to stagger, and I feel like at this point in the very very late game, stagger is a pretty important part of any fight.

Found the catacombs at the bottom of the sewers but couldn't find the Big Weird Door or the merchants a bunch of youtube videos were on about.

Got Ranni's ending, but it sort of felt like giving up, bit of a hollow capstone to an otherwise incredible game. I noticed it dumped me back before the Radagon fight - does this mean I can try other endings if I defeat him again? If I find the bog weird door and go through it will it dump me back there as well?

Also does the godslayer sword have any particular effect on the elden blob?