Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Cimber posted:

So, thats close to half a billion in cash Trump has to come up with to appeal these various cases. 78 Mill for the defemation case, 350 for this case...thats gonna loving hurt. How is he going to cough up the cash for this if he can't take out any loans?

Well...hey Vlad, I got some documents in the bathroom of my golf club, you interested?

Oh, the judge also tacked on interest too, going back to 2019. Whats 5 percent interest on 350 million over 5 years?

A lot of money. I think 80 mil?

How does one run for president with this ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

Don't bother traveling anywhere and just never leave the fox studios? I'm sure they will be willing to make him his own little room.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Cimber posted:

Well...hey Vlad, I got some documents in the bathroom of my golf club, you interested?

For better and worse Vlad is a bit busy buying ammo from Iran and North Korea, and defenestrating his political opponents, I don't think he has the time or resources to help his orange buddy like the good ol days.

Oh and does POTUS count as serving a "legal entity" in New York? Asking for a friend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

You get your corrupt daughter-in-law named as co-chairman of the RNC and then you drain their treasury dry

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Orthanc6 posted:

For better and worse Vlad is a bit busy buying ammo from Iran and North Korea, and defenestrating his political opponents, I don't think he has the time or resources to help his orange buddy like the good ol days.

Oh and does POTUS count as serving a "legal entity" in New York? Asking for a friend.

Pretty sure Putin would just make sure Trump's next few meals have polonium seasoning rather than foot that bill.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

You get your corrupt daughter-in-law named as co-chairman of the RNC and then you drain their treasury dry

I'm not unhappy with that outcome TBH

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

I'm not unhappy with that outcome TBH

We should let this play out, see how it goes

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mdemone posted:

We should let this play out, see how it goes

Given everything else we've seen, I think we can guess how it will play out: in the stupidest way possible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

It's more like 100M but who's counting

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

To appeal his verdicts he has to post (by my calc) $540 million in escrow.

No one is going to lend him that given the verdict, his history and his attempts to gently caress over people coming after him by getting back into office.

No one is going to give him that because it is half a billion dollars that the court would have, so they'd have no way to get it back from him.

Can he even sell properties to make up the money? No way he has it in cash, and his licenses are revoked so he can't earn it 'legitimately'

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I guess this means that more NFTs are coming soon!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I suppose one complicating factor is that the RNC is almost completely broke because big name donors don't want their money going to pay for Trump's legal fees

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1752914377395851642

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh that's awful news for the RNC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zoux posted:

I suppose one complicating factor is that the RNC is almost completely broke because big name donors don't want their money going to pay for Trump's legal fees

mmm, couldn’t happen to a nicer party

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

I think I just came.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Lol lmao. Nay, roflmao. Lol.

So all of his finances are locked up, he owes half a billion dollars in various civil damages and he can’t get a loan or do business in New York.

What the gently caress does he even try to do now? He can kick up a fuss, maybe get some stochastic terrorism going, but he’s got all the criminal cases coming down the pike, with lawyers he needs to pay. He’s (nominally) got a campaign to run.

Dude is fuuuuuuuuuucked.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

zoux posted:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Comstar posted:

My bet is $460 million.

mdemone posted:

With interest it comes to about 460M

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's always his PACs I suppose, but he's squeezed almost all the blood out of those turnips

quote:

Two of Trump’s committees, Save America leadership PAC and the Make America Great Again PAC, spent $55.6 million on legal bills in 2023, including $29.9 million in the second half of the year, according to the new reports released Wednesday.

The Trump campaign had more than $33 million in cash on hand at the end of last year after raising more than $19 million in the fourth quarter. Save America leadership PAC had about $5.1 million in cash on hand at the end of the year. Across all of his committees, Trump had a war chest of over $70 million at the end of the year, a total that includes cash available to his allied super PAC, MAGA Inc.

$70 million is less than $380 million right

https://twitter.com/joshchafetz/status/1758589265179512848

We could probably buy multiple Alaskas for what he's about to shell out

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 16, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In lighter news, his sons also got hit with $4M fines.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
so really, how do they get this money out of him? like if he just goes "i'm not gonna pay" do they seize assets? like how far does he get away with saying "nah"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They have basically already seized the various companies, no? The caretaker was just waiting for the end of the trial to start liquidating things to pay the judgement.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Levitate posted:

so really, how do they get this money out of him? like if he just goes "i'm not gonna pay" do they seize assets? like how far does he get away with saying "nah"

If he says "I'm not going to pay" the court says "that's fine, we weren't asking you," and the court-ordered authority already in charge of his finances says "yes sir Judge, whatever you say"

If there wasn't the court-appointed authority, the court would direct those orders to the banks instead and the banks would say "absolutely Judge sir, please don't fine us a compounding per-day fee or anything like that"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
D&D>Trump legal troubles>Make Trump Bankrupt Again

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Virtually all of Trumps wealth is tied up in NYC. He's locked in here and he has no way out.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So is there any real chance that Trump loses Trump tower? Or Mar A Lago? I'm getting a chub just thinking about it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mdemone posted:

With interest it comes to about 460M

Yeah it seems that part of the ruling is that there's interest per year since the year of each piece of the fraud, hence the $460mn tag.

It takes the sting out of my $435mn guess being wrong that the actual judgement was higher.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Truth Social SPAC merger got SEC approval yesterday which should be a huge windfall, except those funds are currently locked up until November at the earliest.

quote:

The Securities and Exchange Commission has approved the merger proposal of former president Donald Trump’s media start-up with a special purpose acquisition company, a critical step for a long-delayed deal that would make the owner of Trump’s website Truth Social a publicly traded company and unlock $300 million in investor funds.

Digital World Acquisition, the SPAC that first launched the merger for Trump Media and Technology Group in 2021, said in an SEC filing late Wednesday that the SEC had signed off on its registration statement and that Digital World would announce a shareholder meeting within two days to vote on the merger’s adoption. Digital World shares climbed Thursday morning, to about $50.

The approval is a victory for Trump, who will hold more than 78 million shares in the post-merger company, a filing shows — a stake that, at current prices, would be worth nearly $4 billion. Trump, who would own between 58 and 69 percent of the company, and other investors could earn tens of millions more shares through a provision, known as an “earnout,” tied to the stock’s performance, a filing said.

Jay Ritter, a finance professor at the University of Florida, said the windfall is “paper wealth … with the emphasis on ‘paper,’ since his [Trump Media] shares cannot currently be sold.”

Trump Media’s key stockholders, including Trump and its management team, agreed to a common financial provision, known as a “lockup” period, that prevents them from selling shares for six months after the merger unless Digital World waives the agreement, according to a Digital World filing. If the merger occurs in April, for instance, Trump would not be able to sell his shares until October, at which point their value may have changed considerably.

Ritter said that in his opinion the merged company’s valuation — roughly $9 billion, based on Digital World’s current price — is out of sync with the Trump company’s financial performance. Trump Media generated $3.4 million in revenue and lost $49 million during the first nine months of 2023, Digital World said in a recent SEC filing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/15/truth-social-trump-merger-sec/

I think they'll let him sell early but I guess we'll see what happens in between now and then.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Xiahou Dun posted:

Lol lmao. Nay, roflmao. Lol.

So all of his finances are locked up, he owes half a billion dollars in various civil damages and he can’t get a loan or do business in New York.

What the gently caress does he even try to do now? He can kick up a fuss, maybe get some stochastic terrorism going, but he’s got all the criminal cases coming down the pike, with lawyers he needs to pay. He’s (nominally) got a campaign to run.

Dude is fuuuuuuuuuucked.

And yet there are at least 70 million people who will vote for him

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So when he ignores the judgement and just doesn’t pay, what’s the next step?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

literally same loving page, lol

ElegantFugue posted:

If he says "I'm not going to pay" the court says "that's fine, we weren't asking you," and the court-ordered authority already in charge of his finances says "yes sir Judge, whatever you say"

If there wasn't the court-appointed authority, the court would direct those orders to the banks instead and the banks would say "absolutely Judge sir, please don't fine us a compounding per-day fee or anything like that"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
so with the defamation award, we are looking at a half-BILLION dollars of judgements he needs to appeal, and all of it poo poo that he can't throw out when he's president. Oh, and he can't raise money with any bank chartered or registered in New York.

I gotta say, this sucks for Citizen Trump.

AND I LOVE EVERY loving MOMENT OF IT.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Levitate posted:

Yes, they will start to seize his properties and assets.

No, this will not happen soon.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah it seems that part of the ruling is that there's interest per year since the year of each piece of the fraud, hence the $460mn tag.

It takes the sting out of my $435mn guess being wrong that the actual judgement was higher.

One estimate I saw calculates he's paying $87000...per day.

You could make an entire movie called Smokey and the Bandit and it would be every single day.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So if Trump can potentially net $4b from his Truth Social merger, how damaging is this in the long term?

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Not even Elon would pay 4b for truth social.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

He doesn't need to, they're doing a SPAC.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

small butter posted:

So if Trump can potentially net $4b from his Truth Social merger, how damaging is this in the long term?

His shares are worth $4bn *on paper* at the current valuation, which has been driven to insane heights by crazed retail investor chuds. If the lockin agreement is waived and he starts dumping the stock its value will quickly plummet and he'll be lucky to get $400m. It is a potential way out, though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The court appointed a monitor to his business. They get to start seizing assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Curious to what extent the ensuing investigations and today’s judgement were coincident with or a consequence of the expose published by the NYT detailing much of the fraud that was targeted in this fraud case. Does this happen absent that expose? I’m bitter about NYTimes coverage during the Trump era but do I really have to give it to them on that one?