Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Thanks but this is what i mean, they sort of contradict eachother. Like does it matter what company/ squad each unit is? (Outside of death company)

Obviously this doesn't matter in game, and primaris marines make it more complicated, but that's the org chart

E: also that mini is great!

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only important part for Blood Angels is the appropriate helm colours for battlefield role and the black shoulders on sergeants. Company and squad is for when you really want to RP each of your dudes as Brother Fangulus, 3rd Squad, 5th Company.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thanks but this is what i mean, they sort of contradict eachother. Like does it matter what company/ squad each unit is? (Outside of death company)

Yes, everyone will laugh at you if your captains have blue helmets instead of gold ones or there's two drops on the kneepad of a sergeant.

In reality, it doesn't really make a difference as most of the time no one will notice or care. It's way more loose and free form than Napoleonics. Come up with a system you like, have it make sense in a way, and do it to make you happy. Use the guides there in the codex as inspiration to make your own system that follows your own logic and is fun for you to do. You could do groupings by company as in the codex, or by general battlefield role (shock troop vs heavy weapons vs scouts etc) or whatever internal logic you have.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I guess if you wanna make it a bit more complicated give them all the same 1-2 company markings and each unit gets different knee pads

E: and yeah tbc this doesn't actually matter at all, but I'm still personally mad at myself because the second models I ever painted were star wars commandos and I used the wrong color for the Correlian bloodstripe. If that doesn't bother you, go hog wild

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No it’s up to you. I made my BA a custom successor chapter mentioned upthread and updated them after leaving the game for a while when I got back in with Leviathan. They wear white armour with red shoulder pads and use a mix of generic space marine, BA, and my own markings from both pre and post primaris lore depending on what I like.

Nobody will care what markings you use, it’s all up to you. The funnest way imo is to pick from the standard canon markings and vary it out, so say your base tactical squads will have x markings, your jump packs y, then your bikes z bc they aren’t from your Captain’s company, they are reinforcements from the close support reserve company, or so on. Even if you want your dudes to be canon Blood Angels from the founding chapter, maybe they have different markings from some time spent somewhere else or from being in a time GW hasn’t detailed out.

I prefer painting up the stock six tac/two close support/two heavy support before having any basic infantry types be from a different company, but lorewise it’s fine to have just one squad from the same company as the captain or lietenant if you even have one, then one loaned from a different battle line company, then two tw reserve company squads, and so on.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 15, 2024

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Thanks guys, im just going to pick whatever then lol-

Here is my test guy:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:nice:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They even have specific "paint whatever you want" carve outs in official chapters like the White Scars markings that are described as "so personal only the bearer knows what they mean" or Dark Angels having coded symbols and phrases that are so secret other Dark Angels might not know what they mean. There are so many Black Templars and they are so decentralized they say that individual crusades end up doing their own colour scheme and symbols over time.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They all look like space marines to me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I looked up how to translate cool sounding things I stole from AC Valhalla into runic script and then added those as decorations on my space wolves. I thought it would be fun to have a couple dudes like their chain swords so much that they wrote the word for "buddy" on them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It's entirely personal choice

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Here is my test guy:

Looks amazing!

But yeah, I use reversed shoulderpad colors for my retributors even though that's not an official thing. Just a lore-neutral way to distinguish them when setting my squads up.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

protomexican posted:

I know it's fire, but my eyes read it as fingers in the stereotypical Italian pose. "That's a spicy warpball!"

My test armatures were all flipping me off.

(BTW I don't think I have this mastered well enough to make an effortpost about my process but the upward facing hooks were a bad idea. They should be straight out from the wrists I think.)

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Here is my test guy:

Very dope. Man I want to see someone's 100% lore accurate Blood Angels now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

My test armatures were all flipping me off.

(BTW I don't think I have this mastered well enough to make an effortpost about my process but the upward facing hooks were a bad idea. They should be straight out from the wrists I think.)

You should probably have a small ball of greenstuff attached to the head and hands via the armature wire to act as a body for the flames before sculpting the actual flames on top of it. I find it quite hard to sculpt something which has both volume and a lot of texture (like flames) in a single go - the underlying volume gets distorted too much as you push and pull for the texture.

I assume you're going for the 'burning marine' look like from that HH art?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

You should probably have a small ball of greenstuff attached to the head and hands via the armature wire to act as a body for the flames before sculpting the actual flames on top of it. I find it quite hard to sculpt something which has both volume and a lot of texture (like flames) in a single go - the underlying volume gets distorted too much as you push and pull for the texture.

I assume you're going for the 'burning marine' look like from that HH art?

This is actually the opposite of the evolution of my process! For these first guys, I started with a putty bead "head" and built the flames around it. The newer guys, who I'm quite happy with, were sculpted from a single sphere applied directly to the armature. I'm now sculpting the flames as chunky wisps, which I weave together, reshape a little with tools, then add a few more smaller details.

I'm not sure what 30K art you're talking about. I don't think I was emulating anything in particular, not consciously. The main thing was looking at Deadly Print models and thinking, "Huh. Maybe I could learn to do that myself."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Windowshopping between events during a visit to an equally nerdy friend (sadly, not a goon) and I noticed the "Generic Space Marine" patrol seems to have just ten guys plus two officers and a knee mortar. This seems kind of crappy compared to the other Space Marine chapter combat patrols, which also seem to be chock full of these new "Primaris" guys. Is the generic Space Marine one just the newbie trap option or something?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some combat patrol boxes are worse than others, sometimes a lot.

Games-workshop has the excuse of "all combat patrols are balanced for the game format, and isn't that what really counts?"

So yeah.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The thing is Combat Patrols are more balanced monetarily on GW's side than any real game balance as much as they might pretend to. And the Space Marine Combat Patrol isn't even that particularly great value since for the same price you could get the 40k Starter + terminator librarian for the same marines and (most of) a tyranid combat patrol.

darnon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 16, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dark Angels are losing their super good Combat Patrol in favour of a super crappy Combat Patrol soon too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I and my LGS get GW stuff via a third party shipping out of the UAE, no one wants to ship to Kazakhstan, so I havent looked at the new and improved shithole of an official online store in a while.

I checked to see if the space marine combat patrol was that bad, and learned that the in stock things to ship here are italian-codex deathwing boxes and japanese necron codexes.

If anyone wants to pay scalper prices plus shipping for those hit me up

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

darnon posted:

The thing is Combat Patrols are more balanced monetarily on GW's side than any real game balance as much as they might pretend to. And the Space Marine Combat Patrol isn't even that particularly great value since for the same price you could get the 40k Starter + terminator librarian for the same marines and (most of) a tyranid combat patrol.
It did seem rather expensive!! I do also see they seem to have gone full gunpla; I assume you still need to prime and probably glue if maybe not as much as I recall

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Decided to do a bit of kitbashing and use up some resin bits, and build myself an Emperor's Spears Kill Team!

(I want to find a Fragstorm Grenade Launcher off someone who did their Aggressors as Flamers, so I can mount that on the backpack of the far right guy and give him an Auto Bolt Rifle.)

Assault Intercessor Seargant (Plasma Pistol)
Assault Intercessor Grenadier
Assault Intercessor (Purity Seals, the Eviscerator big boy)
Intercessor with Auto Bolt Rifle & Combat Blade (General skirmisher)
Intercessor with Bolt Rifle, Vengeance Scope & Reclusiam Bolts (Sniper)
Intercessor Gunner with Bolt Rifle, Aux Grenade Launcher (HWG)

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 16, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

This is actually the opposite of the evolution of my process! For these first guys, I started with a putty bead "head" and built the flames around it. The newer guys, who I'm quite happy with, were sculpted from a single sphere applied directly to the armature. I'm now sculpting the flames as chunky wisps, which I weave together, reshape a little with tools, then add a few more smaller details.

I'm not sure what 30K art you're talking about. I don't think I was emulating anything in particular, not consciously. The main thing was looking at Deadly Print models and thinking, "Huh. Maybe I could learn to do that myself."

This fella.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

This fella.

oh, neat! nope, nothing that complicated. just figured flame was more interesting than dust and flamers. plus the egyptian sarcophagus TS look does absolutely nothing for me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

They even have specific "paint whatever you want" carve outs in official chapters like the White Scars markings that are described as "so personal only the bearer knows what they mean" or Dark Angels having coded symbols and phrases that are so secret other Dark Angels might not know what they mean. There are so many Black Templars and they are so decentralized they say that individual crusades end up doing their own colour scheme and symbols over time.

There are also campaign specific armor schemes. Like for the Badab War some chapters had custom schemes. So you can say "these are my Ultramarines in the urban camo scheme they used while storming the gates of Getoffmydick Secundus in M40.20"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you google "Bantax Campaign" literally all the website and image search results are one guy posting his entire mustard coloured Blood Angels army piece by piece on reddit. You too can own an entire phrase on google if you try hard enough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Let none forget the Fighting Tigers of Veda

https://fightingtigersofveda.com/2022/08/the-fighting-tigers-of-veda-overview/

e: they seem to have left behind the cringey power-armour tiddies and and WHFB horse tail topknots, but kept the radical tiger stripes I'm taking notes on for my future EC

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 16, 2024

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: they seem to have left behind the cringey power-armour tiddies and and WHFB horse tail topknots, but kept the radical tiger stripes I'm taking notes on for my future EC

quote:

In closing, I must address a long-standing fallacy pertaining to the Fighting Tigers of Veda: namely, that the Chapter includes “female Space Marines.” This is, of course, impossible, as it is well known that all Adeptus Astartes must be male, because the geneseed zygotes used to transform recruits from ordinary humans into Space Marines are keyed to male hormones and genetic structure.

Nevertheless, this erroneous, even heretical belief has been perpetuated throughout the Tigers’ long history through discredited narratives, falsified vid-footage, and disinformation spread deliberately by enemies—and possibly by the Tigers themselves, though for what purpose, I cannot speculate. I will expound on this topic in an upcoming report, “Fighting Tigers of Veda: ‘Female Space Marines.’”

The key fact is that the Fighting Tigers of Veda do not currently have, nor ever had, “female Space Marines” serving in their Chapter.

lmao

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't it Doc Thunder who famously had the massive marine boobs?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ayup, and even some Shock Troopers too. No idea if they ever went beyond the WIP stage or not.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

In closing, I must address a long-standing fallacy pertaining to the Fighting Tigers of Veda: namely, that the Chapter includes “female Space Marines.” This is, of course, impossible, as it is well known that all Adeptus Astartes must be male, because the geneseed zygotes used to transform recruits from ordinary humans into Space Marines are keyed to male hormones and genetic structure.

Nevertheless, this erroneous, even heretical belief has been perpetuated throughout the Tigers’ long history through discredited narratives, falsified vid-footage, and disinformation spread deliberately by enemies—and possibly by the Tigers themselves, though for what purpose, I cannot speculate. I will expound on this topic in an upcoming report, “Fighting Tigers of Veda: ‘Female Space Marines.’”

The key fact is that the Fighting Tigers of Veda do not currently have, nor ever had, “female Space Marines” serving in their Chapter.

Reads like something someone who secretly has an entire Chapter of Female Space Marines would say.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I clicked through to that blog I assumed based on how it looked that it must be quite old. I was surprised to see that it is only a few years old, I would not have imagined it being from this decade, or perhaps even this century.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I clicked through to that blog I assumed based on how it looked that it must be quite old. I was surprised to see that it is only a few years old, I would not have imagined it being from this decade, or perhaps even this century.

It's been around for a hot minute but looks like the author revamped it at aome point. I kinda want to do something similar for my own forces one day, but I've yet to take the plunge

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

absolute psychopath, pairing goblin green base rims with static grass.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

moths posted:

Wasn't it Doc Thunder who famously had the massive marine boobs?

Oh god that name gives me flashbacks, it was def Doc Thunder who did the horse tail topknot marines right?

Also to be clear I am not knocking the 110% fully dudes and dudes only Fighting Tigers, they rock. They def used to have Mark XX Bikini Plate though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I have a memory of this marine with dual pony tails on a modified Khorne Berserker helmet and these absolutely massive transhuman tits.

That has to be Doc T.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Somewhat happy with my first Plasmancer.

Still seeing mistakes but I promised myself I wouldn’t play again until I paint my 2k list and at this point I need to pick up the pace a bit.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Shockeh posted:

(I want to find a Fragstorm Grenade Launcher off someone who did their Aggressors as Flamers, so I can mount that on the backpack of the far right guy and give him an Auto Bolt Rifle.)

Quoting myself, but if anyone has one of these, I will happily buy it off you, give you goonlove(tm), and it's such a tiny piece with no breakable bits it'll just go in an envelope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

moths posted:

I have a memory of this marine with dual pony tails on a modified Khorne Berserker helmet and these absolutely massive transhuman tits.

That has to be Doc T.

Venture forth, if you have the courage