Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

In Training posted:

Trump v Kamala would just be a boring no contest. It's like going into training mode in street fighter and spamming supers at a Ken whos.just jumping in place

Genuinely difficult to think of candidates who Copala would actually have a shot against. Honestly maybe Desantis because they're both rocking the same negative charisma modifier, although there's probably more culture war sickos than there are khive assets out there.

Actually now that I think about it, give us Kamala vs Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

cenk vs copmala vs clinton vs trump

4 way

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reported for 'berger posting

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Javid posted:

this is the oldest, fattest picture of her I have ever seen, and that's a fuckin bar to clear

to be fair any picture of anyone that was taken today is gonna be the oldest picture of them you have ever seen by definition (tied with any other picture of them that was taken today if you're only measuring that far ofc)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTLBhe-ccU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
why does anyone give a gently caress about her weight, she's done more than enough evil poo poo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Willis' defiant afternoon on the stand

What unfolded on Thursday is extremely rare in American courtrooms. The district attorney who has charged Trump with racketeering went under oath to defend her ethics and answer personal questions about her relationship with Wade.

The risks could not be greater, and Willis' credibility is on the line.

Things quickly went off the rails. Willis didn't act much like a traditional witness and was more like a prosecutor, arguing with the defense attorneys, raising objections, making legal arguments and even having exchanges with the judge. She even raised her voice at one point.

This led to a few rebukes from McAfee, who urged her and other attorneys in the courtroom to maintain "professionalism" and to not "talk over each other."

Willis repeatedly accused some of the defense attorneys of peddling lies - before and after the judge's admonishment.

"You've lied in this. ... I think you lied right here," Willis said to attorney Ashleigh Merchant, pointing to copies of filings that raised accusations of self-dealing and nepotism.

'I'm not on trial,' Willis says

Willis seized several opportunities to defend herself.

The district attorney had fought efforts to make her appear, both in Wade's ongoing divorce proceedings and in the hearing on Thursday, up until the moment she came into the room to take the stand. She said at the beginning of her testimony that she was "very anxious" to defend herself, "so I ran to the courtroom."

"You think I'm on trial," Willis said, in her sharpest pushback of the day. "These people are on trial for trying to steal an election in 2020," she added, pointing toward the table of attorneys representing defendants in the criminal case. "I'm not on trial, no matter how hard you try to put me on trial."

She later slammed the defense attorneys, calling them "confused" and "intrusive."

"Ms. Merchant's interests are contrary to democracy, not to mine," Willis said, attacking the attorney for Trump campaign attorney Michael Roman, who is accused of playing a leading role in the multi-state "fake electors" plot to subvert the Electoral College.

Wade and Willis describe using cash for reimbursements

Wade and Willis have offered a simple explanation for why there's essentially no paper trail to back up his claims they split expenses: Willis used cash.

Credit card statements submitted in Wade's divorce proceedings show he paid for two flights for them in recent years, to San Francisco and Miami. They also took lavish trips to Belize, the Bahamas and some Caribbean cruises.

When pressed on whether he paid for Willis' travel when they vacationed together, Wade said that Willis reimbursed him for a flight "in cash." Wade said he did not have receipts for all of the times Willis reimbursed him for trips - pushing back against the allegations from the defense side that Willis was essentially getting kickbacks from him in the form of vacations.

"I did not deposit the cash in my account," Wade replied, smirking at times.

Defense attorney Craig Gillen, who represents one of the fake electors, grilled Wade on what he would do with the cash reimbursements - in at least one case, thousands of dollars.

"You don't have a single solitary deposit slip to corroborate or support any of your allegations that you were paid by Ms. Willis in cash?" Gillen shot back, raising his voice slightly.

"No sir," Wade said, to which Gillen replied: "Not a single solitary one?"

"Not a one," Wade responded.

she testified that she brought $2500 cash to belize to repay him on the spot, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

When discussing prospective vice-presidential candidates, Mr. Trump often asks whether they are “OK on abortion.” He is instantly dismissive when he hears that a Republican doesn’t support “the three exceptions.” He tells advisers that Republicans will keep losing elections with that position.

"While support for abortion rights was among the highest recorded in recent decades, most Americans agree that abortion should not be legal in the second (55%) or third trimester (71%)."

trump is to the left of 55 percent of americans on abortion, bc 16 weeks is a month into the second trimester.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I pretty much guarantee the SotU is gonna be a prerecorded video. I doubt Biden will even be there.

I'm personally starting the President Deepfake rumors if that's the case

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nonsense posted:

Trump operates from a very 2004 playbook on politics and it has yet to fail him, well except that one time.

Covid was the black swan that got him. lmfao at Trump handing out blank checks for Operation Warp Speed only to have Pfizer gently caress him in the end by holding the vaccine clinical trial data until the week after the election.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Willa Rogers posted:

she testified that she brought $2500 cash to belize to repay him on the spot, lol.

lol jfc

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
red states should remove biden from the ballot under the provision that his candidacy violates the 25 amendment

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

the wikipedia entry for Starship Troopers is really funny. Everyone universally agrees the book's politics are hosed, but then the article spends many hundreds of words on academic debates about exactly what stripe of hosed they are. the article ends up reading like "well if these nerds can't decide how bad it is, is it really that bad?"

and it's not even a good book. so many of Heinlein's books were just political lectures with a thin smear of a framing device around it. "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" stands out in my memory but even ST suffers for it.
according to the wikipedia article, heinlein wrote starship troopers in a huff after getting angry at the united states discontinuing nuclear weapons testing and warming american relations with china

from the book the origin history is "the war between the Russo-Anglo-American Alliance and the Chinese Hegemony"

if you search the text for the word chinese, two remaining excerpts materialize:

quote:

Those Bugs lay eggs. They not only lay them, they hold them in reserve, hatch them as needed. If we killed a warrior — or a thousand, or ten thousand — his or their replacements were hatched and on duty almost before we could get back to base. You can imagine, if you like, some Bug supervisor of population flashing a phone to somewhere down inside and saying, "Joe, warm up ten thousand warriors and have ‘em ready by Wednesday... and tell engineering to activate reserve incubators N, O, P, Q, and R; the demand is picking up."

I don’t say they did exactly that, but those were the results. But don’t make the mistake of thinking that they acted purely from instinct, like termites or ants; their actions were as intelligent as ours (stupid races don’t build spaceships!) and were much better co ordinated. It takes a minimum of a year to train a private to fight and to mesh his fighting in with his mates; a Bug warrior is hatched able to do this.

Every time we killed a thousand Bugs at a cost of one M. I. it was a net victory for the Bugs. We were learning, expensively, just how efficient a total communism can be when used by a people actually adapted to it by evolution; the Bug commissars didn’t care any more about expending soldiers than we cared about expending ammo. Perhaps we could have figured this out about the Bugs by noting the grief the Chinese Hegemony gave the Russo-Anglo-American Alliance; however the trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins.

quote:

Well, why should I fight? Wasn’t it preposterous to expose my tender skin to the violence of unfriendly strangers? Especially as the pay at any rank was barely spending money, the hours terrible, and the working conditions worse? When I could be sitting at home while such matters were handled by thick-skulled characters whoenjoyed such games? Particularly when the strangers against whom I fought never had done anything to me personally until I showed up and started kicking over their tea wagon — what sort of nonsense is this?

Fight because I’m an M. I.? Brother, you’re drooling like Dr. Pavlov’s dogs. Cut it out and start thinking.

Major Reid, our instructor, was a blind man with a disconcerting habit of looking straight at you and calling you by name. We were reviewing events after the war between the Russo-Anglo-American Alliance and the Chinese Hegemony, 1987 and following. But this was the day that we heard the news of the destruction of San Francisco and the San Joaquin Valley; I thought he would give us a pep talk. After all, even a civilian ought to be able to figure it out now — the Bugs or us. Fight or die

an additional reference to buglikedness:

quote:

"Historic examples range from absolute monarch to utter anarch; mankind has tried thousands of ways and many more have been proposed, some weird in the extreme such as the antlike communism urged by Plato under the misleading titleThe Republic . But the intent has always been moralistic: to provide stable and benevolent government.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bonus heinlein starship troopers marx discussion

quote:

He had been droning along about "value," comparing the Marxist theory with the orthodox "use" theory. Mr. Dubois had said, "Of course, the Marxian definition of value is ridiculous. All the work one cares to add will not turn a mud pie into an apple tart; it remains a mud pie, value zero. By corollary, unskillful work can easily subtract value; an untalented cook can turn wholesome dough and fresh green apples, valuable already, into an inedible mess, value zero. Conversely, a great chef can fashion of those same materials a confection of greater value than a commonplace apple tart, with no more effort than an ordinary cook uses to prepare an ordinary sweet.

"These kitchen illustrations demolish the Marxian theory of value — the fallacy from which the entire magnificent fraud of communism derives — and to illustrate the truth of the common-sense definition as measured in terms of use."

Dubois had waved his stump at us. "Nevertheless — wake up, back there! — nevertheless the disheveled old mystic ofDas Kapital , turgid, tortured, confused, and neurotic, unscientific, illogical, this pompous fraud Karl Marx,nevertheless had a glimmering of a very important truth. If he had possessed an analytical mind, he might have formulated the first adequate definition of value... and this planet might have been saved endless grief.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

notably china did not test its first nuclear weapon until 5 years after starship troopers' publication

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

because they like killing Palestinians and don't like not giving infinite money to the insurance industry OP

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

"Reproductive justice workers believe Biden is contributing to a maternal and reproductive health crisis in Gaza" is such a weird way to frame an ongoing overt genocide

If you keep bombing hospitals, we might have to admit we don't care about any reproductive rights other than our own.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

insane clown pussy posted:

Biden has done a lot of really good poo poo. Economy policies, student loan debt forgiveness, environmental stuff, supporting the auto workers' union, actually following through with his promise to help out the locomotive workers after he broke their strike because the country would fall apart if he didn't, and a lot of other things that I can't think of off of the top of my head. Biden is also, at this very moment, enabling the genocide of Palestinians by sending arms shipments to Israel. In a sane world, this would disqualify him from my vote, because I don't give a gently caress about how many nice things he's given me, my closest friends' families have been slaughtered and he's actively supporting that.

But this is not a sane world.

Lol, I love watching these absolute cretins try to square the circle

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

as always

you wildly overestimate the amount it takes to bribe american politicians

who are mocked worldwide for how comically little it takes to buy them

like max it would be four digits

low four digits

In Delaware, the bribe for state reps (who have de facto control over all American corporate law) is the max donation, $600.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Been watching new She-Ra lately with my daughter, and it's inching close to this.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

In Training posted:

100% Hillary losinf twice.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dude looks happier here. Hopefully, someday, he'll be able to toss away his stupid ambitions and live his best Lego and Gundam figurine life.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I bet they schedule his convention speech for lunchtime.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

comedyblissoption posted:

bonus heinlein starship troopers marx discussion

I haven't read that book since I was 12. is the point to illustrate that that character has brain damage?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

In Training posted:

100% Hillary losinf twice.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tag team
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1758254225811800571
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1758516526942933295

https://twitter.com/mazemoore/status/1758180907796598934

bernie panders
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1758508959919493522

the failing rotted and corrupt partisan hellhole intercept [they had a big layoff recently]
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1758254577516683279

rupar!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

thank you, glenn

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

thank you, glenn

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
post left watch guy went from dunking on haz infra type guys (funny) to instead distilling pure concentrated aids

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

is this the glenn thread where's the succ

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Rubellavator posted:

is this the glenn thread where's the succ

you’re right. it’s time to rename the thread.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

thank you, glenn

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

starship troopers' unconventional framing of the events of russia 1917

quote:

Sally stumbled through the first part. However, nobody can describe accurately how the Federation came about; it just grew. With national governments in collapse at the end of the XXth century, something had to fill the vacuum, and in many cases it was returned veterans. They had lost a war, most of them had no jobs, many were sore as could be over the terms of the Treaty of New Delhi, especially the P. O. W. foul-up — and they knew how to fight. But it wasn’t revolution; it was more like what happened in Russia in 1917 — the system collapsed; somebody else moved in.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

glennsters stay winning apparently

also I found this emote

:nfpa:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

e: wrong thread

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

In 2016 Hillary was convinced, as stupid and out-of-touch people often are, that she was a lock to win. She tries to portray herself as confident and strong but she is making GBS threads her pantsuits at the thought of taking on Trump again. Her ego can't take another hit like that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

wait what happened to the glenn thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

wait what happened to the glenn thread

thanks Glenn