Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
on the one hand making a fun videogame out of the worst event in human history is perhaps gauche

on the other hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mao is one of the Chinese leaders in CIV IV too, trying to play atrocity Olympics with the leader choice is a losers gambit though. Although it is strange Lincoln is only the US leader in CIV Rev 2.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hello old friend

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I picked up Fable like a year after it came out, having mostly ignored all the hype and controversy surrounding it. I was surprised to find that it was actually a pretty decent, if forgettable, game. It had a lot of weird extra systems and details that you wouldn't normally expect in an action RPG. I guess it would be disappointing if you went in expecting this game to change the world or something.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Could use a good new nazi killing game. Wasnt into the new Wolfenstein cuz it was all, like, nazi robots and stuff. Im trying to shoot some historically accurate nazis.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Could use a good new nazi killing game. Wasnt into the new Wolfenstein cuz it was all, like, nazi robots and stuff. Im trying to shoot some historically accurate nazis.

CODBLOPS zombies was :discourse: for this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Persona 2 Innocent Sin

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

It’s not unpopular but maybe it is because there’s not a lot of mystery solving games

Why aren’t there more games like Return of the Obra Dinn

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Outer Wilds is an excellent mystery solving game and as a bonus it also has actual gameplay

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

I picked up Fable like a year after it came out, having mostly ignored all the hype and controversy surrounding it. I was surprised to find that it was actually a pretty decent, if forgettable, game. It had a lot of weird extra systems and details that you wouldn't normally expect in an action RPG. I guess it would be disappointing if you went in expecting this game to change the world or something.

yeah it was pretty decent. it was really funny to me to kill the villagers, buy up their houses and then rent them out. there really was no point to this other than to be a massive dick but i loved it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cassette Moodcore posted:

It’s not unpopular but maybe it is because there’s not a lot of mystery solving games

Just Google logic puzzles

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

So you mean just wandering around the RNC and shooting randos?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Case of the Golden Idol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Finished Dark Souls 2 tonight. I liked it a lot, though it had its share of bullshit (looking at you, Heide's Tower and spear Heide Knight in particular) and maybe overstayed its welcome a little. 112 hours played, though some of those were me being afk in Majula and I am a very thorough explorer in games like this. Some really good level design, I loved the hell out of Brume Tower even though a few of the encounters made me want to rage.

As per usual in these games the lore was confusing as gently caress, but this is my 3rd Fromsoft game so I mostly get it. Having a soul and self-awareness is terrible. Miyazaki is racist against Giants and wants to French kiss Dragons. I dunno if the ending I got was supposed to be good or bad but IMO any ending that wasn't me and Emerald Herald going to Dave and Buster's is a bad ending.

I am not moving on to Dark Souls 3 immediately cuz I need a break from this poo poo.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Finished Dark Souls 2 tonight. I liked it a lot, though it had its share of bullshit (looking at you, Heide's Tower and spear Heide Knight in particular) and maybe overstayed its welcome a little. 112 hours played, though some of those were me being afk in Majula and I am a very thorough explorer in games like this. Some really good level design, I loved the hell out of Brume Tower even though a few of the encounters made me want to rage.

As per usual in these games the lore was confusing as gently caress, but this is my 3rd Fromsoft game so I mostly get it. Having a soul and self-awareness is terrible. Miyazaki is racist against Giants and wants to French kiss Dragons. I dunno if the ending I got was supposed to be good or bad but IMO any ending that wasn't me and Emerald Herald going to Dave and Buster's is a bad ending.

I am not moving on to Dark Souls 3 immediately cuz I need a break from this poo poo.

Awesome! You should move on to Dark Souls 3 because it is the best game

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm personally looking forward to Bill HH's review of Sekiro

itry
Aug 23, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Perhaps you could branch out into that Pinocchio game, or maybe even The Surge?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Watching the credits roll in Lies of P atm and can confirm it is a fantastic game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

playing handsome pinocchio game and its really good but the bosses input read to an insane degree sometimes

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

playing handsome pinocchio game and its really good but the bosses input read to an insane degree sometimes

That's how you know it's a souls game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm personally looking forward to Bill HH's review of Sekiro

This is the only one that matters. Cuz it's the only actual good game in the catalog.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah I can see going in blind and having a novel time. People react to you in goofy entertaining ways, there's funky little things like changing appearance based on your choices, lil things like that. It was 100% listening to Molyneux pre-release hyping up the game to have every wildhare idea he had, whereas in reality it was a real game constrained by the limits of dev, budget, time, etc. Really he just shouldn't have been marketing the game at all, people don't need to see his brainstorms they need to see what was actually workable made by workers from the brainstorm.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chants of Sennaar (kinda)
The Roottrees Are Dead
Unheard

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Because the majority of people who design videogames have more exciting concepts than "readers digest logic puzzle with wire frame graphics" to work with

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Because the majority of people who design videogames have more exciting concepts than "readers digest logic puzzle with wire frame graphics" to work with

:drat:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fair enough, but why are their games so poo poo then? Why is the geriatric tv book game with graphics from the 1980's so much better than most modern offerings? Sturgeon's law might apply, but it's still a really loving low bar they're not all clearing by your logic.

edit: If anything, it's the Obra Dinn dev looking at contemporary games, handicapping himself and still doing better. What a power move.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 19, 2024

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I mean what modern offering are you putting forward as a counter argument? Please tell me it's Stormgate so I can make fun of that some more

nah for real though, I just genuinely felt too stupid to play Obra Dinn, I saw the theory about what it wanted me to do but I just couldn't grasp its mechanics or exactly how it wanted to go out things

plus i couldn't run or jump or shoot things

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Modern controller design with triggers means shooters are the most satisfying game type to play with them

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ymgve posted:

The Roottrees Are Dead

Thanks for this, I've been stuck playing this for hours now!

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

satanic splash-back posted:

Modern controller design with triggers means shooters are the most satisfying game type to play with them

Racing games also play really well.
Using steam controllers right touch pad swipes to change gears was a fantastic experience.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If instalment #7 of a video game series comes out then it is okay not to play instalments #1-6 first.

Related: if #7 is the breakout release in this long running series then the previous instalments were probably niche and unpopular for a reason.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Related: if #7 is the breakout release in this long running series then the previous instalments were probably niche and unpopular for a reason.

The reason is that 1-6 were the good ones while 7 gutted everything for a stab at mass appeal, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The reason is that 1-6 were the good ones while 7 gutted everything for a stab at mass appeal, right?

Yes, in the sense they gutted the terrible gameplay and replaced it with middling to ok gameplay to try to appeal to more people

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You are never obligated to play or see all of a franchise to see a later one of it.

However sometimes they bail it the first time and everything after it is a markedly lesser lesser version of the original. Like Star Wars, every movie after New Hope was worse than the previously released one. You can actually mark a decline in climate change mapped directly to decline of Star Wars quality. And don't come at me with "bbbut empire and Jedi" they're asspull garbage twist soulless retcon bullshits to sell more toys. Dumbest twist in movie history, a twist so stupid and senseless they made 3 more fuckin movies to try and make it fit and it still never came close to making any goddamn sense with what is established in New Hope.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Khanstant posted:

You are never obligated to play or see all of a franchise to see a later one of it.

However sometimes they bail it the first time and everything after it is a markedly lesser lesser version of the original. Like Star Wars, every movie after New Hope was worse than the previously released one. You can actually mark a decline in climate change mapped directly to decline of Star Wars quality. And don't come at me with "bbbut empire and Jedi" they're asspull garbage twist soulless retcon bullshits to sell more toys. Dumbest twist in movie history, a twist so stupid and senseless they made 3 more fuckin movies to try and make it fit and it still never came close to making any goddamn sense with what is established in New Hope.

wait... let them cook

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only thing worse than Star Wars are Star Wars fans.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

im so loving tired of all these star wars

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The 1969 UK show UFO nailed the sci-fi look for the next century but we are still waiting for the rest of sci-fi to catch up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Wrong, if you play Dark Souls 3 then you need to play the first two and if you don't then a red phantom will come to your house and eat all of your food it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Food grows on trees, let the red phantom do their raid and they'll be on their way.