Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"Now it is time we fight!"

Proceeds to talk for another 10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Me during Nero every time: Today on Eorzean Divorce Court…

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sunday Morning posted:

Using two hotbars just for tracking cooldowns and procs made red mage so much easier for me. Just a quick glance to the left of my character gives me so much information. I don't really need the Jolt icon but I had it there when I took the pic to remind myself i was in content that allowed the finisher combo.

Doing this helped a bit I guess. I wailed on a target dummy on someone's house in the Mist for about 10 minutes to figure out the job and sort of got the hang of it. But I still don't really like the whole proc mechanic with it. I end up having to just stare at the hotbar/status bar to see when the proc shows up and being reactive to that instead of planning out my combos or watching the cool poo poo on the screen. I like how when you pop that first part of a samurai combo you can be sure the next ability is ready to go.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have a smaller 6 column 2 row hotbar right next to my HP bar and job gauge with all my SGE cooldowns duplicated up there, just to keep an eye on them. It helps a lot and i don't have to look down at the bottom-of-screen hotbars.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

girl dick energy posted:

I like making TLDR guides for jobs but I’ve still not managed to make something easier or less clunky for Red Mage than the one split into three separate images.

I'd just link Wesk Alber's guide to RDM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtMIKhpuHY

All his guides are pretty top notch and useful.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doing this helped a bit I guess. I wailed on a target dummy on someone's house in the Mist for about 10 minutes to figure out the job and sort of got the hang of it. But I still don't really like the whole proc mechanic with it. I end up having to just stare at the hotbar/status bar to see when the proc shows up and being reactive to that instead of planning out my combos or watching the cool poo poo on the screen. I like how when you pop that first part of a samurai combo you can be sure the next ability is ready to go.

This is fair, but for what it's worth RNG procs that make you look at the hotbar aren't unique to Red Mage. It's one of the ways the game increases cognitive load to make it more difficult.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah you think RDM is tough with procs, try BRD sometime. They ruined it down in Endwalker but it was originally a procs driving procs job where you procced your dots to proc your actual damage weaponskills.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like this is a good illustration of why it's useful to try a bunch of different jobs in this game. For all people complain about homogenization, jobs can still feel very different to play, and some of them will click and some won't, so try everything and see what clicks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah, I spent the 5 minutes to learn Summoner after ignoring it for 2 years and I nearly fell asleep after 4 rous. If it's for you then have a wonderful time, I'll be over here about to hop back into remembering the BLM 80-90 rotation. :guinness:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

New SMN is great... at max level. It's just not the same with the dumb baby egis.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Sometimes during the Reaper section I'll point out that, in Duty Support, the NPCs don't get Reapers of their own, and just follow you on foot. There's only one Maggie, after all. There's usually at least one person who was not aware of this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Did they at least streamline that section so you're not blasting away at caked on cermet for thirty seconds before the cutscenes trigger.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Did they at least streamline that section so you're not blasting away at caked on cermet for thirty seconds before the cutscenes trigger.
You instantly teleport to the lower level once you clear the outer ring where you start, and you still have to blast the cermet door on the way to hammer boss, but it dies very quickly.

They should have streamlined it more and cut out the riveting gameplay of "run 10 seconds to trigger the next cutscene" before and after that boss, not sure why they didn't.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

orcane posted:

You instantly teleport to the lower level once you clear the outer ring where you start, and you still have to blast the cermet door on the way to hammer boss, but it dies very quickly.

They should have streamlined it more and cut out the riveting gameplay of "run 10 seconds to trigger the next cutscene" before and after that boss, not sure why they didn't.

which is super annoying bc they DO consolidate the cid-blows-up-the-tower scene and the livia-whines scene in the other one

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJkaJp7YO2E

Got this video in my subfeed. A good one for beginners about how to recognize important Q's and which ones to take or don't.
Meoni has a lot of excellent videos for new players and veterans alike. Not affiliated.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

DemoneeHo posted:

I miss Cape Westwind being a trial. Or more specifically, I miss hyping up the fight as being the toughest to newbies.

Now it legitimately is a proper fight as a solo duty.

There were some pretty fun shenanigans with streamers that started XIV during the late ShadowBringers WoW exodus, it quickly became mandatory for twitch chat and ingame friendos to hype the fight as super hard, some went as far as providing a 130 pages guide by copying the UCOB strat. As some were hardcore WoW raiders they became super interested and preparing for the fight, only for it to last 10 seconds because of the ilvl 130 scaling
"I even put my raiders pants on and bought energy drinks, wtf !!"
Good times

All in all, Castrum is a way better experience than it was before, Praetorium is still kinda boring but at least they tried with some boss mechanics. Ultima Weapon fight is fine overall but the first part is waaaay too long after the first time you go through.
Still better than the late ARR version speedrun when you were 3 cutscenes behind everyone as a sprout. I don't remember when they made cutscenes mandatory but that was a good move. They could give us a vote skip when rolling with 4 non first timers though...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zanael posted:

There were some pretty fun shenanigans with streamers that started XIV during the late ShadowBringers WoW exodus, it quickly became mandatory for twitch chat and ingame friendos to hype the fight as super hard, some went as far as providing a 130 pages guide by copying the UCOB strat. As some were hardcore WoW raiders they became super interested and preparing for the fight, only for it to last 10 seconds because of the ilvl 130 scaling
Good times

One streamer I was watching had a guildy switch it to synced ilevel without him noticing. Nobody had a clue how to survive it.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Zanael posted:

Good times

All in all, Castrum is a way better experience than it was before, Praetorium is still kinda boring but at least they tried with some boss mechanics. Ultima Weapon fight is fine overall but the first part is waaaay too long after the first time you go through.
Still better than the late ARR version speedrun when you were 3 cutscenes behind everyone as a sprout. I don't remember when they made cutscenes mandatory but that was a good move. They could give us a vote skip when rolling with 4 non first timers though...
Nah, if they let you vote skip the cutscenes people would just leave if they entered with someone doing it for the first time. I think having a multiplayer dungeon with long unskippable cutscenes is just kind of a bad idea in general but if you're gonna do it the way it's implemented is about the only way to make it work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you'd have to halve the rewards for no-cutscene versions, too

i like the no-skip on those. it means i make tomes for rotating my laundry or smoking a cigarette

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I still think the intro cutscene should be able to be skipped. I mean, if it's a first-timer there, you can't leave the beginning until they've started anyway, so why keep that in?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I should be able to just chill in the circle while the noobs watch their stories. I paid $7 for this pantomime emote, let me use it!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

One streamer I was watching had a guildy switch it to synced ilevel without him noticing. Nobody had a clue how to survive it.

It was an interesting enough fight at proper ilvl. It wasn't even level 50 so back in the day you had level 49s doing it in half their AF gear as well.

They could have level synced it like they did Aurum Vale, and it would have been perfectly serviceable today. The new fight is cool and all, but it's hilarious how much of a difficulty jump it is compared to the rest of the ARR designs, and it seems like that effort could have been put elsewhere.

I hated the old MSQ roulette. They could have turned on ilvl sync but that probably would have just made it take too long for the people that actually run the roulette to fill slots.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They could have level synced it like they did Aurum Vale, and it would have been perfectly serviceable today. The new fight is cool and all, but it's hilarious how much of a difficulty jump it is compared to the rest of the ARR designs, and it seems like that effort could have been put elsewhere.

On the one hand you're right. On the other hand I think it's rather neat that all of that is now an escalation of new mechanics and telegraphs. The Big Four deserve the glow-up.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
For the first time ever I found sidequest line that I actually find interesting, the one with "good Garlean" in Ala Ghiri. Until now I was just ignoring sidequests unless they were necessary to unlock flying.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this is a good illustration of why it's useful to try a bunch of different jobs in this game. For all people complain about homogenization, jobs can still feel very different to play, and some of them will click and some won't, so try everything and see what clicks.

Agreed. I’ve gotten all classes but MNK and NIN to 90. Currently at 87 with MNK and I regret waiting this long. It seemed intimidating and complicated but actually turned out to pretty straightforward, and the rotation is fairly stable from 50 onwards (with 60 being the only noticeable change). Super fun to punch stuff and it being strong at 50 means really fast MSQR runs too. Not a fan of the story quests once they move off the Pugilist stuff though

Edit: Also chipping in to the RDM chat, it’s an awesome class, tied for second favorite with AST (first favorite being SGE). It’s a little busy but forgiving and easy to understand once you get into the rhythm of it. And rezzing an entire normal raid from a near wipe never gets old!

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2024

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
k so got a coupla questions.

Last time I played I didn't really mess around with DoH/DoL stuff at all.

General advice I am seeing more than one place is: level ALL of them at once. Totally get it. Get materials for crafting job from gathering job, etc.

But from a more practical standpoint: are they saying I should visit every guild and do the opening job quest, then just switch between jobs as needed?

And the real question: should I wait until level cap to do this? I am only just past ARR (like 52-53ish)

I see that the quickest way to level them (over 30) is via The Diadem? When does access to that unlock?

TIA

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

HaB posted:

k so got a coupla questions.

Last time I played I didn't really mess around with DoH/DoL stuff at all.

General advice I am seeing more than one place is: level ALL of them at once. Totally get it. Get materials for crafting job from gathering job, etc.

But from a more practical standpoint: are they saying I should visit every guild and do the opening job quest, then just switch between jobs as needed?

And the real question: should I wait until level cap to do this? I am only just past ARR (like 52-53ish)

I see that the quickest way to level them (over 30) is via The Diadem? When does access to that unlock?

TIA

Definitely go visit every guild and get the job unlocked then swap as needed. You don't need to wait until level cap but it will help. I'm not sure about the Diadem but levequests will also help with that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You have to complete Heavensward to get into the Diadem because it's part of Ishgard Restoration.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The absolute most efficient way to level DoL/DoH as far as I know is to unlock them and get each to 30, then grind out tons of Diadem to push everything to 80, then do custom deliveries and grand company turn-ins and tribal quests and levequests to get them to 90. It's worth noting however that there are a number of crafter skills locked behind crafter quests.

Personally I find Diadem grinding to be painfully unfun, so I did it more-or-less as intended: unlock each class (both DoH and DoL) and get them up to level 50 each, knocking out the class quests along the way. Then do the same for levels 50-60. Then do 60-70, and so on. It's less efficient than pure Diadem grinding but also more interesting, plus if you're gathering the resources for your crafters yourself you'll pretty naturally get the XP you need to keep your gatherers up. It's also not significantly less efficient, this isn't Blue Mage power leveling versus normal leveling or whatever. The only real exception for me was late Heavensward, because the late quests are really painful and I defaulted to just buying the turn-ins on the MB :v:

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Also if you're gonna level Fishing (YES YES DO IT JOIN US) you should just jump into Ocean Fishing anytime it pops. Gives you a handful of levels each time you run it without needing much knowledge or gear. The job quests are what takes the most time, and you can either grind out some levels by fishing for the quest fish, or buy them off the AH directly if you have too much gil lying around.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fishing is the one job you can level solely by fat wallet, almost every quest item is tradeable and leves can likewise be bought off the market board. You can reach 90 in fsh without ever dipping your pole in the water.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
How it mostly works is that from about level 30 on each job will gate materials that other jobs use. Alchemists make glue for weapons Blacksmith make and reagents for staffs that Carpenters make, the Carpenter makes lumber that the Blacksmith also uses for weapon shafts and so on. Armorer/Blacksmiths make the raw nuggets and ingots other crafters use, UNLESS it's a special nugget/ingot only Goldsmith can make! This means that if you're a level 70 Blacksmith pushing to 90 you're at the mercy of market board prices for secondary Goldsmith parts, Carpenter lumber and Alchemist glue. If you want all crafting jobs at 90 it gets very inventory tight but you can be fairly "self sufficient."

Note that market boards can be very charitable at times when oversaturation makes prices crash and that there are several vendors that will sell intermediary goods directly. For the level 50-60 range there's a vendor in Idyllshire and for the level 60-70 range there's a vendor in Rhalgar's Reach. This means that if you see Adamantite Nuggets on the MB for more than the listed shop price tooltip(i.e. 4k+ per) when you look at them you can port over and buy direct. If they crash and go for less you can stock up, i.e. less than 2k+ per. If there isn't a shop price listed it's make or nothing. When you have a lot of gil at hand you can actually bulk buy mats even if it's a light ripoff: it's easy to sell bulk vendor ores(Blacksmith trainer vendors in Limsa) because 8-10k for a full gouged stack of something that sells for 198 for 99... well, honestly, they've got so much gil that the time spent warping, loading, walking and back is worth more than the 10k. This is also a nice way to build your first nest eggs starting out.

If you level gathering at the same time you can technically be self sufficient but Time Is Money, Friend.

I also found that goods sell surprisingly well in this game across most levels. Glam is always in demand and other people are constantly undertaking the same DoH leveling as you with the same hurdles, such as mass production of ingots to AFK level Armored/Blacksmith or the painful 50-90 stretches for classes like Alchemist with maybe 1-2 good mass production items that are monster kill/retainer only drops. There are also several even low level gathered mats that sell well (silver ore + effervescent water in the same nodes, cobalt ore/bomb ashes later, etc) because of the same time vs effort vs on hand gil calculations. If you need to push Miner from 20-50 you might as well crack your first 5 or 6 digits, yeah? If you feel like listening to a podcast/video on second monitor, hopefully.

There's always Grand Company leevees, though. I like to follow and manipulate markets so I did it all manually and came out ahead by good profits in the end.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 20, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

fishing owns and ocean fishing owns extra hard

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
First, just run around and do gathers and crafts to get your hand and land jobs to L30ish or so. None of the quests and turn-ins and such are good at low levels, if they're even available. All the crafting materials required for these levels will be cheap on vendors so don't worry too much about order.

If you're not in a hurry then the most ~efficient~ way to level both hand and land jobs after level 30 is to just do daily Grand Company turn-ins. Ctrl-U for the Timers menu, then select Next Mission Allowance to get the day's hand-ins. You can buy whatever items your GC wants on the MB. HQ turn-ins give double XP, as do starred requests, these bonuses stack. If something is expensive then just skip it, it'll reroll to a different request on the next day. You can get 5-10 levels/week in each job plus run a profit in gil and GC seals without leaving town.

If you are in a hurry and have hit L60 then Diadem is good for gatherers, as is the Ishgard Restoration stuff for crafters. At 60 you also unlock custom deliveries, which are a weekly thing but gives a lot of xp and scrip (= hand/land job tomestone equivalent). Finally, levequests and beast tribes are reasonable xp.

That said: just completing the gathering and crafting logs is fine, especially in ARR. It's definitely slower, but log completion gets you achievements, shiny tools, and satisfying checkmarks which you may or may not care about. Gatherers are especially doable by just putting on a podcast and punching rocks for a while if you find that sort of thing relaxing. If you don't find that sort of thing relaxing, use one of the faster methods.

An additional note, if you're actually doing any ARR crafting then note that a lot of intermediate materials in ARR can just be bought from a vendor. Don't manually craft a ton of Yew Lumber or Bronze Plates. If the item lists a "Sale Price" then it's conveniently available on a vendor somewhere.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 20, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If it says limited next to the sale price it's usually locked behind tribal reputation. You should be doing your tribes anyway to get mounts and to experience the story, but the cheap intermediary crafts are another reason.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

My advice for DoH/DoL is, never grind, beyond the first few levels. Unless for some reason you desperately need to hit a specific level ASAP, just chip away at it through GC turnins. They're surprisingly good xp, especially if you make HQ bits. There's also Custom Deliveries (unlocked in HW, maximum of 12 items per week) which give a big chunk. For early levels, it is a pain to run around to all the different guilds for the 1-50 quests, but they do give worthwhile xp. You can get up to level 20ish on crafters with materials from the guild suppliers.

Once you hit ShB, the DoH/DoL quests get a little strange, but the rewards become amazing. The crafting/gathering Tribe Quests are also worthwhile at that point.

e: On questing in general, don't count on turnins being cheap on the MB, except maybe for a handful of FSH or CUL items. HW is probably the worst stretch because you've got Hidden nodes and other painful stuff to deal with, and don't get a huge reward for them. For StB, all DoH/DoL quests become self-contained; crafter quests give you quest materials and you just have to craft, gatherers are sent to get specific quest-only items. In either case, the items aren't tradeable, but they're a LOT easier to get. You also get the best crafting action in the game, Manipulation, during StB quests.

e2: I envy everyone who levelled gatherers after they removed HQ gatherables.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 20, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've been just doing the supply/provisoning dailies. I've been buying the supply mission stuff when I can (even though it's only half the exp) because it's like 10x faster than crafting it. I only craft it when there's no way to buy it.

I did find a few sites that help with it:
Fishing:
https://en.ff14angler.com/
Crafting/Gathering:
https://www.garlandtools.org
Crafting skill optimizer:
https://dazemc.github.io/ffxiv-craft/#/solver
Another Crafting sim
https://ffxivteamcraft.com/search

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh, it should also be noted that you can buy manuals from your GC for seals that will significantly increase XP gain for DoH/DoL classes under a certain threshold. Definitely recommend grabbing those and popping one whenever you're actively grinding.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
They're cheap, too. Buy them in small quantities though - I bought like 20 of them and when i dinged 90 i still had 10 in the freezer, lol no i will not level another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've been doing the 80-90 MIN grind through custom deliveries and tribal dailies, and so far I've gotten to 87 through only a week's worth of dailies and two cycles of custom delivery turn-ins.

poo poo is quiiiiiick. And the story is fun.