Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

RE: Neo-space feudalism, I was listening to Yanis Varouvakis's latest book talk and his case that Amazon's business model is a new form of "technofeudalism" focused on rent-seeking over profit in a way that he argues abandons capitalism altogether for a desire to control entire markets.

Maybe not what we expected space feudalism to look like, but I think that would be a more interesting angle to focus Battletech: less focus on profit but possessions of corporate aristocracy etc.

The concept that the old aristocracy and new money capitalists would converge isn't particularly new. It's not heavily emphasized, but the space feudalism in Dune(which absolutely influenced BT) likely grew out of corporate consolidation. The Atreides get Arrakis as a fiefdom, as well as shares of and a directorship in The One Company That Makes and Sells Everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Amechwarrior posted:

I've seen people that have those clear plastic organizers for stuff like screws or fishing tackle. They put 20 pairs of mini 2d6 and just shake the entire box. Just read out from 1 to whatever number you need for any cluster attacks.

This is the correct way to do it in physical format.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

LaSquida posted:

what app do you use for this?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mechhitting/id911680048

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

…and if you're rich, blood. So white mechs or red mechs are the cheapest to paint…

:stare:
Uh, greetings, fellow Capellan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

RE: Neo-space feudalism, I was listening to Yanis Varouvakis's latest book talk and his case that Amazon's business model is a new form of "technofeudalism" focused on rent-seeking over profit in a way that he argues abandons capitalism altogether for a desire to control entire markets.

Maybe not what we expected space feudalism to look like, but I think that would be a more interesting angle to focus Battletech: less focus on profit but possessions of corporate aristocracy etc.
I'm not sure that "abandons capitalism" so much as it just is the goal of capitalism. Battletech does have planets entirely owned by corporations though, like Macintosh.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope nobody here's actually advocating for corporate feudalism IRL. It has funny haha moments in satire and fantasy and whatever, but it's also caused very real degradation in cultures with limited access to ameliorating influences (positive social outlets not compromised by said corpos). Thread chat is getting weird

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

Even then are there paint factories on every planet? Without it you're conceivably stuck with what people most commonly painted barns with: linseed oil, lime, skim milk, rust, and if you're rich, blood. So white mechs or red mechs are the cheapest to paint unless you wanna spring for fancy pigments. Maybe bare corrosion-proof space-metal too.

I like the idea of a unit mixing new paint from the soil of local planet for a vernacular paint job every time they jump planets.

Naturally painted 'Mechs is amusing but BT at least has the sense at this point to have spelled out that worlds of a certain technology level or higher already can provide (or import, or even export) essential goods to create whatever that tech level consists of.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 17, 2024

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to watch Sorry to Bother You. It is the definitive film on corporate feudalism.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Amechwarrior posted:

I've seen people that have those clear plastic organizers for stuff like screws or fishing tackle. They put 20 pairs of mini 2d6 and just shake the entire box. Just read out from 1 to whatever number you need for any cluster attacks.

Yep. Guy had an organizer with 24 pairs of different-colored dice with a label on each section.

It was smart, but you had to watch him because he wanted to shake it just once per turn and just count off his rolls. Nuh-unh, fucker.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I hope nobody here's actually advocating for corporate feudalism IRL. It has funny haha moments in satire and fantasy and whatever, but it's also caused very real degradation in cultures with limited access to ameliorating influences (positive social outlets not compromised by said corpos). Thread chat is getting weird

Naturally painted 'Mechs is amusing but BT at least has the sense at this point to have spelled out that worlds of a certain technology level or higher already can provide (or import, or even export) essential goods to create whatever that tech level consists of.

Yeah I think its completely absurd concept. don't want to derail so here's a youtube video by the guy pointing out our global economy is ominously heading that way.

Thanks for recommendation!! looks good.

Farmers used pigs blood! Gives a barn that deep red color. I guess if you're Capellan you make do. If it's Lyran is it blue?

As for Battletech itself, I've been playing a lot of games of Hexed Alpha Strike with a simulated opponent using Brym's Opfor (fan simulated opponent like Battletech Aces). Pretty fun to just test out mechs and compositions.
Here's a skirmish over some refinery/SC2 building complex between a security force and some raiders who have Clanners in tow(bondsmen? exiles? who knows?)

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Yeah, no one's advocating for it man, and the BattleTech setting's entire premise is that the current system all the Great Houses run under is a far cry from the heydeys of humanity, mostly because of that system. But in a thread about BT, sometimes people might make funny joke about it, or our society stupidly heading that way because individuals have a hard time seeing the big picture and how small costs in their lives lead to big benefits for all of society.

I guarantee you I wouldn't be a teacher if I was hoping techno/corporate feudalism was the future.

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

As for Battletech itself, I've been playing a lot of games of Hexed Alpha Strike with a simulated opponent using Brym's Opfor (fan simulated opponent like Battletech Aces). Pretty fun to just test out mechs and compositions.
Here's a skirmish over some refinery/SC2 building complex between a security force and some raiders who have Clanners in tow(bondsmen? exiles? who knows?)

That Black Knight is awesome. Love the bulky Black Knight from Dark Age.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, no one's advocating for it man, and the BattleTech setting's entire premise is that the current system all the Great Houses run under is a far cry from the heydeys of humanity, mostly because of that system. But in a thread about BT, sometimes people might make funny joke about it, or our society stupidly heading that way because individuals have a hard time seeing the big picture and how small costs in their lives lead to big benefits for all of society.

Yeah, much like social-generals, there's hilarity to be found in distance and particular cases, but nothing we would want to live next to.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

and if you're rich, blood.

Or if you’re a reaver! :twisted:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I struggle to keep all the targeting rules in my head, and sometimes make mistakes adding things up, so I've been working on building my own GATORB-aid.

Still not done, I want to adjust the design so it curls less, I should have painted the word BATTLETECH black, and I want to keep this same form factor but make the cutouts bigger for larger dice, so maybe shrink the font? But shrinking the text will make it harder to paint the text. It's good enough for my next games, at least.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Looks good, though the "Adjacent -2" should probably be moved down under "Prone +1" to be less misleading. Since the -2 is prone AND adjacent, after all.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats the scariest mech to face out of these?

Berserker-C3 (MASC w/TSM) , Caesar-5D (4/5(7) hardened armor w/TSM), Charger-C (5/8(13), MASC/Supercharger)

Looking for a scary distraction carnifex type to take point with the rest of this lance-

Banshee 3Q
Sagittaire 10X
Exterminator 7X

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Why is the Exterminator in this lance? The BV from that is better off spent on two pointmen, instead of one.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Probably the Berserker. Unless your opponent has seen a Charger C before, they'll discount it because it's a charger; and a 70 tonner just isn't as intimidating as a 100 tonner.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably the Berserker. Unless your opponent has seen a Charger C before, they'll discount it because it's a charger; and a 70 tonner just isn't as intimidating as a 100 tonner.

80 tonner. Also 80 tonners max out engines at 400 XL/XXLs, so they're the maximum tonnage possible to do the most physical weapon damage, without relying on speed boosters to break even on AMM vs. TMM.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 22, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A charger is going to make you stand on a hill so that it can't charge you. A Berserker doesn't care that you're on a hill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

80 tonner. Also 80 tonners max out engines at 400 XL/XXLs, so they're the maximum tonnage possible to do the most physical weapon damage, without relying on speed boosters to break even on AMM vs. TMM.
The semi-colon means that the 70 tonner in question is the Caesar, which won't draw as much fire as an assault.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That Charger in particular will probably go under the radar until you hit the gas and put 40 points of damage into something your opponent thought was safe, and then it will be the most hunted mech on he table.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I was talking about the Caesar in the second bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

That Charger in particular will probably go under the radar until you hit the gas and put 40 points of damage into something your opponent thought was safe, and then it will be the most hunted mech on he table.
If you look at the record sheet you should realise that nowhere is safe from that monster.

I'm really happy I have an old metal one to field as it someday. "Nobody wants the charger from this lot, it's a bad mech", indeed.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just need to convince the Snow Ravens to cough one up, somehow.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Raveena Electronics didn't like the Ravens showing up, so that might be easier than you think :v:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Why is the Exterminator in this lance? The BV from that is better off spent on two pointmen, instead of one.

It seemed good. I love VSPLs. Don't have the BV to replace it with 2 of anything other than lights

Berserker I figured is the safe option. 100 tonner that can run 8 and kick you for 40.

Charger I've never used, but it seems scary. Ferro-lam, runs 13(!), heavy medium lasers.

The Caesar also has TSM, talons, and hardened armor. Runs 7 but can kick you for 42(?) with TSM (7 * 2) for kick * 2 for TSM, * 1.5 for Talon ? Plus clan spec weapons. ERPPC + HAG20

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2024

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That Exterminator has one of the most elegant heat curves I've ever had the pleasure of puzzling out, it's a really cool mech.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

It seemed good. I love VSPLs. Don't have the BV to replace it with 2 of anything other than lights

Berserker I figured is the safe option. 100 tonner that can run 8 and kick you for 40.

Charger I've never used, but it seems scary. Ferro-lam, runs 13(!), heavy medium lasers.

The Caesar also has TSM, talons, and hardened armor. Runs 7 but can kick you for 42(?) with TSM (7 * 2) for kick * 2 for TSM, * 1.5 for Talon ? Plus clan spec weapons. ERPPC + HAG20
Oh, 4 MVSPLs, not 2. Never mind, carry on

Strobe posted:

That Exterminator has one of the most elegant heat curves I've ever had the pleasure of puzzling out, it's a really cool mech.
Woe be the pilot when the Laser AMS activates though

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 23, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Saint Celestine posted:

Correct calculation for the CES-5D's Talons is 70/5 Kick = 14, 14 * 2 TSM = 28, 28 * 1.5 Talon = 42 points, and that math can be done in any order since there's no addition/subtraction.

The problem with that variant is that Hardened Armor gives you a disadvantage with +1 Piloting, which affects kicks and missed kicks of course, but more importantly affects 4/5 pilots needing a 7 to not fall on 20+ points of damage. For clarity, Hardened Armor causes this PSR at 20 points of damage, regardless of how many full armor circles are actually removed.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 23, 2024

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought that similar to Small Cockpits, the Hardened Armor +1 piloting skill target modifier only applied to actual PSRs (to stay standing and avoid damage and such) and not melee attacks. Is that not so?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Correct calculation for the CES-5D's Talons is 70/5 Kick = 14, 14 * 2 TSM = 28, 28 * 1.5 Talon = 42 points, and that math can be done in any order since there's no addition/subtraction.

The problem with that variant is that Hardened Armor gives you a disadvantage with +1 Piloting, which affects kicks and missed kicks of course, but more importantly affects 4/5 pilots needing a 7 to not fall on 20+ points of damage. For clarity, Hardened Armor causes this PSR at 20 points of damage, regardless of how many full armor circles are actually removed.

Ok that puts things into perspective a bit. I didn't realize it was 20 points of damage before the hardened armor. Bumping the piloting up makes it like a 4k BV mech. Will probably go with the berserker then.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I don't know if the Caesar is actually worth the BV but it certainly is spectacular. I wasn't disappointed when I've taken it a couple of times. A lot of 'mechs just plain aren't going to have legs after it kicks them.

edit: The original TSG-9H Ti Ts'ang is probably a better value as a TSM 'mech, at less than two-thirds the BV. It's far easier to reach and maintain 9 heat and is faster, although the hatchet doesn't hurt as badly as the talons.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 23, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Are there any canonical training Mechs in the IS besides the Chameleon and Crockett? Trying to make a full 5000BV lance

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Saint Celestine posted:

Ok that puts things into perspective a bit. I didn't realize it was 20 points of damage before the hardened armor. Bumping the piloting up makes it like a 4k BV mech. Will probably go with the berserker then.

No, it is definitely 20 pips removed.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=33515.msg1415839#msg1415839

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

GD_American posted:

Are there any canonical training Mechs in the IS besides the Chameleon and Crockett? Trying to make a full 5000BV lance

Pretty sure I've heard of the Stinger being used as a trainer, though the other bugmechs are also prolific enough to serve as a babby mechwarrior's first ride.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I believe it now that Xotl has posted it, but my 2022 copy of BMM that has whatever 2018 errata there was still isn't clear enough about this in order to provide the correct interpretation. My copy of TacOps AU&E definitely has what Xotl wrote though.

BattleMaster posted:

I thought that similar to Small Cockpits, the Hardened Armor +1 piloting skill target modifier only applied to actual PSRs (to stay standing and avoid damage and such) and not melee attacks. Is that not so?
Small Cockpits, Hardened Armor, and Modular Armor +1 Piloting to absolutely everything. (It seems like any mention of a +1 Piloting Skill Roll target modifier, without any other mention of conditional penalties, supersedes any specific situation) Significant disadvantage unless you're a Manei Domini. The only thing Hardened Armor and Modular Armor are unclear on are whether or not they affect the PSR needed to generate Ghost Targets.

I think the equipment that really gives Piloting bonuses conditionally are AES in arms and AES in legs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 23, 2024

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MegaMek doesn't apply Small Cockpit or Hardened Armor's penalty to melee attacks, giving these 5 piloting skill pilots kick targets of 3.

I get that MegaMek isn't always the arbiter of what is correct or not, but I am pretty confident it is handlnig this correct - things that apply penalties to piloting skill rolls affect only piloting skill rolls and not melee attacks. Melee attacks use the piloting skill as a base target number, but they are not themselves piloting skill rolls.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Here's the actual rule from TW:

The +1 to piloting skill rolls for Small Cockpits is in the PSR table:

And the thing is, not a single one of the items in that table apply to physical attacks. The small cockpit modifier does not show up in the attack modifier table, which is where the things that apply to attacks, including physical attacks, are presented. So small cockpits do not affect physical attacks.

I am certain from the wording of Hardened Armor's rules that it works the same way:

edit: Also looks like Ghost Targets is just piloting skill +3 with no other modifiers:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 23, 2024

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Entire page of this thread has me being wrong 5 times in the past day. I am sorry for ever posting, you can safely add me to your ignore list

Strobe posted:

Now that I'm down at the bottom of my Dunning-Kruger slope, I might as well ask: what is this EXT-7X heat curve and why is it "elegant"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GD_American posted:

The Valkyrie is used for training in the AFFS, partly because they are absolutely everywhere in that army so training them in one is a good head start.

Coventry had training Hauptmanns from CMW, one of the feathers in their cap was that they were the first academy to make sure their graduates were all familiar with driving and working on Omnis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hauptmann with a STUDENT DRIVER cigar