Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kinda hard to tell, but did Israel lose any wars after the Romans took over? Same for Iceland and the Danes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

What war did Ireland lose?

The English conquered them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not sure what war Iceland lost.

I guess the civil war in the 13th century but by the nature of such conflicts they also won it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i feel like kenya doesn't count there either what with famously losing their initial war for independence

also don't interrogate why oman doesn't control zanzibar anymore

anyway lol korea

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

I guess the civil war in the 13th century but by the nature of such conflicts they also won it.

Occupied by the Allies during World War Two.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Occupied by the Allies during World War Two.

The kingdom of Iceland wasn't a part of the war until after the occupation so that doesn't count.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland

FreudianSlippers posted:

The kingdom of Iceland wasn't a part of the war until after the occupation so that doesn't count.

I mean they still got invaded and occupied, a lot of people weren't involved in the war until someone invaded and occupied them :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 16, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's an inherently dumb map because 1) states/political entities throughout history have constantly (e)merged, disappeared, expanded, split, been conquered, lost territory, changed ruling class or government system, etc., so it is almost meaningless to say that a specific state with its specific borders as it happens to exist in 2024 has 'never lost a war' and 2) there is a certain degree of arbitrariness in determining what counts as 'losing a war' to begin with.

Your example of Iceland - they were invaded and occupied by the Allies during WWII, against their will. Does that count? Or does there need to be a certain amount of bloodshed?

Korea is also very dodgy, I don't remember all the specifics, but the precursor Korean kingdoms were involved in a bunch of wars both against each other and the Chinese. Even if you just look at Korea from unification onwards, the successful Japanese takeover of the Korean peninsula involved mass violence, despite the lack of an official declaration of war.

It's just a bad map on a conceptual level, assuming it's not a trolling attempt to begin with, not even worth nitpicking.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 16, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If they're talking wars lost since establishing the current state, I'm not sure Ireland or Austria have ever even fought any wars.

BonHair posted:

Kinda hard to tell, but did Israel lose any wars after the Romans took over? Same for Iceland and the Danes

There were some uprisings that had some really nasty reprisals. Genocidal even. Also it was conquered a few times between the Sassanids, various Muslim groups, and the Crusaders.

Although zooming in on this map, Israel seems to be flooded.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OwlFancier posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iceland

I mean they still got invaded and occupied, a lot of people weren't involved in the war until someone invaded and occupied them :v:

Is it a war if nobody actually does any fighting at all?
The closest thing to fighting was the Brits arresting German officials and a few local Nazis and shipping them to Britain. Iceland didn't even have a militia so there was no one to fight back even if anyone had wanted to.

Also technically the Republic of Iceland, the modern state, wasn't founded until 1944 and thus did not participate in the invasion. Although the change from constitutional kingdom to republic was mostly just going through the already established constitution for the and replacing every instance of "king" with "president" but making no other meaningful changes.

Now the later Cod Wars against the Brits we won all of those handily despite not having a military.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 16, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Iceland said, "we are neutral, don't do this," and then men with guns came and did it anyway. That's an invasion. If you capitulate without firing a shot that doesn't mean you didn't lose.

The map may be contradictory and purposefully inflammatory, but I'd be comfortable saying Iceland lost.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I am not "robbing the bank" I just show up at the bank with a mask on and a shotgun and they put all the money in my bag. It was entirely voluntary on their part.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Unlike so many islands colonized, Iceland is stalemated at best against its most fearsome predator. For more than a thousand years of humans, I'd say it's a loss. You don't see kiwis fighting off enormours eagles, eh?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it a war if nobody actually does any fighting at all?
The closest thing to fighting was the Brits arresting German officials and a few local Nazis and shipping them to Britain. Iceland didn't even have a militia so there was no one to fight back even if anyone had wanted to.

Also technically the Republic of Iceland, the modern state, wasn't founded until 1944 and thus did not participate in the invasion. Although the change from constitutional kingdom to republic was mostly just going through the already established constitution for the and replacing every instance of "king" with "president" but making no other meaningful changes.

Now the later Cod Wars against the Brits we won all of those handily despite not having a military.

If we count every (major?) change of constitution as a restart, there's a whole bunch of post Soviet and former Warsaw pact countries that need to be relabeled

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Unlike so many islands colonized, Iceland is stalemated at best against its most fearsome predator. For more than a thousand years of humans, I'd say it's a loss. You don't see kiwis fighting off enormours eagles, eh?

It's also the only mammal that predates human settlement.

Before that it was all birds like New Zealand.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this one is also wrong because it's clearly counting 1812 as a canadian victory which every right thinking person knows is absolute bullshit

No, it’s just saying that Canada hasn’t been defeated, which doesn’t depend on the outcome of 1812 because the country didn’t exist until 1867.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
What a silly map

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Quasi-War (absent in the first map) has arguably become one of the most important wars in US history after 1945, not because of the war itself, but because of the implications for going to war without declaring war.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this one is also wrong because it's clearly counting 1812 as a canadian victory which every right thinking person knows is absolute bullshit

I feel like the Cisplatine War counts as a loss.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 17, 2024

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

(I'm pretty sure this is wrong bc 6th Light Brigade went on the ground into Iraq in 1990 I'm pretty sure)

if you aren't on the last third of this one, you are a historical bad guy sorry (questionable though given most of the grey countries were parts of the coloured ones)

Considering South Korea started their war and the North still exists to this day despite America bombing every building it could find, that's a loss.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
edit: nm, not taking the bait

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 17, 2024

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's also the only mammal that predates human settlement.

Before that it was all birds like New Zealand.

Took me a moment to read this as pre-dates and shake the image of them devouring small villages

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering South Korea started their war and the North still exists to this day despite America bombing every building it could find, that's a loss.

that and the fact that KJI had to liberate the country in the first place

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

You're wrong, but also the war never ended, fool.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Capitalist and commie no-go zones

E: places planned for nuking

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 17, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Post-nuke war Europe would be a wild scene.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Romans never took over Iceland or Denmark.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Romans never took over Iceland or Denmark.

Only because Bismarck was a loving coward.

Or if you wanna combine a few crazy ideas, the great replacement will finally let the Romans (Turks) conquer Denmark in ten years time

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

that and the fact that KJI had to liberate the country in the first place

:hmmyes: Yes starting wars is cool and I wish Walter Ulbricht liberated Western Germany too, that would've been awesome.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Neither Korea lost, they just agreed on a limited time-out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

steinrokkan posted:

Neither Korea lost, they just agreed on a limited time-out.

If we're being technical America hasn't actually lost a war. Never declared war in Vietnam, Afghanistan or for the second Iraq war.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

If we're being technical America hasn't actually lost a war. Never declared war in Vietnam, Afghanistan or for the second Iraq war.

The USA won the poo poo out of the second Iraq War. Shock n Awe, baby. Didn't you see the banners?*

They also lost the War of 1812, which was an actual-declared war.

*less jokingly, I also wouldn't actually consider the US lost the second Iraq war. The government they installed is still there, they were never kicked out of the country (and indeed some limited US military are still there), etc. It didn't exactly go very well, but it wasn't at all like Vietnam or Afghanistan where the government they are fighting won the war. The Baath party isn't running Iraq now, at all.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 17, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

America is also close to completely losing a war on the home front, due to Red Dawn merely being weak propaganda rather than a true look into the heart of America's youth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The English conquered them.
Technically the Dutch, because

Eiba posted:

If you capitulate without firing a shot that doesn't mean you didn't lose.
and anything that the English say about their army voluntarily abandoning London on purpose and letting Willem Hendrik become Stadtholder of England because he was so universally beloved is complete nonsense.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

this is the war america should have lost

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Capital cities on the ocean/a marginal sea.

One of the worst maps in the history of cartography

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Platystemon posted:

Wonder what they're defining as "on" here. Seoul's inland. It's not far from the ocean, but you can't see it from the city. Maybe from the observation deck of Lotte Tower?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Amsterdam used to be next to the sea but we invaded the sea and made it our own.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Wonder what they're defining as "on" here. Seoul's inland. It's not far from the ocean, but you can't see it from the city. Maybe from the observation deck of Lotte Tower?
There appears to be continuous urban fabric from the center of Seoul down to the sea. Might technically be Incheon by the time you reach the sea, but the designation at least appears to make sense if you're not that much of a stickler for official boundaries.

That said, I feel like the map would be improved by a little more granularity in terms of categories. Cities "threatened by storm surges or line of sight bombardment by ocean-going vessels" definitely also belong on the map, even if they're technically sitting on rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Ah yes, people tend to forget about the Caracas Sea.

And who could forget the beautiful ocean views you get from Santiago.

Also what’s up with most micro nations getting deleted, but a handful getting the circle magnifications?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 18, 2024