Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peter Falk posted:

Indo-European language family?

Yes.

For the entire world it would look more like this:

Be advised that we already discussed the status of Haitian Creole last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tfw you wipe out two thirds of the world and still don't get all the Nazi officers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If we kill everyone on earth, the Nazis in hiding won't be able to do much harm.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I meant Aryan as defined by German racial law (White, not Jewish) in that period not as the actual ancient peoples or any of their descendants which would be somewhat larger undertaking.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Their definition was stupid and made no sense, their hated Russian enemies were closer to the hypothesized Aryan homeland than they were, and also some of their closest allies notably did not even speak an Indo-European language.

However, his message of Aryan solidarity did catch on in certain parts of the world

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saladman posted:

Yeah, de-Baathification was a really genius policy for Iraq too. That's why Iraq turned out so stable and unified in 2004. Conversely, the brutal punishment of all Imperial Japanese officers in the late 1940s, and the imprisonment / execution of most Boers in South Africa in the early 1990s, are why those countries turned into absolute nightmare quagmires in the immediate aftermath. It's pretty well borne out in history that executing/imprisoning all officers and politicians from terrible belligerent governments leads to much, much better outcomes than does amnesty for all but the worst of the worst offenders.

Letting off a bunch of Confederate leaders in 1866 also clearly gave a straight-line path to Trump being elected in 2016.

I don't think the American Civil War and Gulf War II easily comparable in any way whatsoever. I genuinely believe there would have been a greater chance of not necessarily racial unity, but less racial tension if we had followed through on the promises of reconstruction (and, you know, executed more of the traitorous bastards that started the war, that to this date, killed more Americans than any other military conflict in our history).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's definitely a lot that could've been done better to make Reconstruction work, Andrew Johnson bears a lot of responsibility for fighting congress over it early on, and over time many people in congress just dropped the cause of free blacks, but one of the main killing blows was the US essentially giving in to an insurgency after a series of guerilla campaigns against Reconstruction, including lynchings, massacres, and outright coups (successful and otherwise).

It was a mult-stage failure over a long time, and through a combination of weariness of the southern quagmire and successful subversion of democracy, federal forces eventually gave up. I'm not sure how much later uprisings in Europe were inspired by the American south demonstrating how to hijack democracy with targeted violence or how much modern paramilitary organizations and hopeful American fascists know about the 19th century roots that they echo. It seems like that part of history gets more covered up in the public eye.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Black Death?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yep. I remember that map from the Wikipedia article.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EasilyConfused posted:

You don't know any Black Southerners do you?

Phlegmish posted:

Don't know if you're misinterpreting his post, but presumably barely any black Southerners were allowed to vote in 1860, and most of those counties that voted against secessionist probably have low black populations even today.

I wonder if it's actually true or just :goonsay:, though. Do these areas like East Tennessee have Confederate flags all over the place? If so, that would be sad.

Contrary to the post y’all are replying to, you’re way more likely to see a confederate flag in Appalachia these days while the population centres have been purging their monuments for nearly a decade.

Not even whitey likes confederate poo poo in New Orleans, or Houston, or Austin, or ironically Atlanta. loving Nikki Haley took the stars and bars off the capitol in Charleston.

The only wild confederate flags I’ve seen since before high school were one in the middle of nowhere of a south Alabama highway, one in Kingston, Ontario, and some at places where they sell MAGA gear ( ps did u no Lincoln was a republican :ironicat:)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 15, 2024

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
there's also the nickajack region/the "free state of winston" that were, at least last time i was around the area, pretty proud of their history of anti-confederate resistance

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ps did u no Lincoln was a republican :ironicat:
Obama and the Democrats invented the KKK :freep:

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

We are racist in the modern ways nowadays down here in the south.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, the confederate flag has shifted meaning to basically "gently caress the government and also minorities" more than anything specific related to the war of northern aggression or whatever

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really want to know where this "no Christians allowed in the Golden Horde" line came from, particularly since I'm given to understand that the subject princes were expected to show up at Sarai on the regular, particular if they wanted to be installed as Grand Prince of Vladimir.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I really want to know where this "no Christians allowed in the Golden Horde" line came from, particularly since I'm given to understand that the subject princes were expected to show up at Sarai on the regular, particular if they wanted to be installed as Grand Prince of Vladimir.

Well if you could make a line that kept Christians out, wouldn't you?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

We are racist in the modern ways nowadays down here in the south.

Quite literally yes

Poverty

Do I need to specifiy which is white and which is black

BonHair posted:

Yeah, the confederate flag has shifted meaning to basically "gently caress the government and also minorities" more than anything specific related to the war of northern aggression or whatever
Yeah I’ve seen probably an order of magnitude more confederate flags flown 2015-present* as part of a big stable of MAGA flags than in my whole life alone

*technically september was the last time I could take stock of flag preferences in the UsA but I assume it’s still months out from maximum MAGA imagery.

It’s very much a national mosaic divide now instead of regional. Similarly way more MAGA in upstate NY than in NYC or Dallas or NOLA for places I lived, and similarly the inhabitants of boonie NY, boonie Texas, and boonie Louisiana are all convinced they’ll be shot by dem-funded rampaging gangs if they set foot in the local stand in for demon liberal hell city

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 15, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Maybe there were restrictions on christian merchants/non-rulership types for a time? "No migrating!" kind of a thing? I'm curious too though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Christians were the only ones able to transmit the black death so the golden horde was able to halt its progress through the use of their anti-christian forcefield. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Maybe there were restrictions on christian merchants/non-rulership types for a time? "No migrating!" kind of a thing? I'm curious too though.

I’ve never heard of such a ban, and googling it in english and kazakh has people asking about that exact map and its border in the first page of results.

Uzbek Khan, the ruler of the Golden Horde 1313-41 right before the plague, who converted himself and the horde to Islam, was famously tolerant of christians. He had regular correspondence with Pope John XXII and sent the following letter to Pyotr, the patriarch who moved his seat from Vladimir to its current unfortunate position in Moscow:

Uzbek Khan posted:

By the will and power, the greatness and most high! Let no man insult the metropolitan church of which Peter is head, or his service or his churchman; let no man seize their property, goods or people, let no man meddle in the affairs of the church...Their laws, their churches and monasteries and chapels shall be respected; whoever condemns or blames this religion, shall not be allowed to excuse himself under any pretext, but shall be punished with death.

His successor lasted one year and was known as pro-christian, and their succesor, another son of Uzbek whose mother assassinated the former elder half-brother, was the Khan who apocryphally spread the plague to Kaffa with bodies, but spent most of his time warring against muslims in the muslim Ilkhanate and used personal funds to build the Chudov Monastery in Moscow.

I’m doubtful of this border ban.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The anti-Christian force field would eventually backfire as it made the Russians insatiably curious as to what was going on behind it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

The anti-Christian force field would eventually backfire as it made the Russians insatiably curious as to what was going on behind it

Politically loaded because Finland doesn’t get counted as ever conquered, much like it was “never” in the Axis :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lotta weird presentation decisions on this one.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

similarly the inhabitants of boonie NY, boonie Texas, and boonie Louisiana are all convinced they’ll be shot by dem-funded rampaging gangs if they set foot in the local stand in for demon liberal hell city

Conversely, many people on the other side of the spectrum are convinced they'll be hunted down and killed if they go anywhere near the south like it's 60-90 years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s very much a national mosaic divide now instead of regional. Similarly way more MAGA in upstate NY than in NYC or Dallas or NOLA for places I lived, and similarly the inhabitants of boonie NY, boonie Texas, and boonie Louisiana are all convinced they’ll be shot by dem-funded rampaging gangs if they set foot in the local stand in for demon liberal hell city

They always say "I never go in the city anymore" or "I never go downtown anymore" when they never went in the city to begin with! Once I noticed this I couldn't unnotice it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Heatmap of Tay Tay concerts
The greener, the more beloved

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 16, 2024

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Heatmap of Tay Tay concerts
The greener, the more beloved

Taylor Swift, champion of the Ummah against the hated Franks

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So is it attendees per capita or something, how does it measure 'beloved'

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

So is it attendees per capita or something, how does it measure 'beloved'

I don’t fuckin know beyond the results looking funny (Portugal não é um pais da Europa occidental)

I do know why Utah is the only state that google trends for Evermore. It’s for a Mormon larp theme park, not for the album: https://www.evermore.com

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 16, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The entire population of Vietnam was at her last Vietnamese concert

Meanwhile, neither I nor any of the three people I know in real life have ever attended a Taylor Swift concert

Ergo, quod erat demonstrandum, the map is accurate.

e: ipso facto

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 16, 2024

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Didn't that concert in Brazil kill a bunch of people. She should be very un-beloved in Brazil.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just googled it and she's never even toured in Vietnam :thunk:

Might be Spotify listens or something. I don't know why I'm so intrigued by this map

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Minenfeld! posted:

Didn't that concert in Brazil kill a bunch of people. She should be very un-beloved in Brazil.

One person of heat exhaustion, I believe. It took place during a massive heat wave.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Just googled it and she's never even toured in Vietnam :thunk:

Syria didn’t give it away?

Looks like just another one of those "completely random colors on a map lol" maps.

I do like how Somaliland is distinct now. Even The Economist maps now show Somaliland as a country.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Maybe it's just her personal opinions on various countries. Like, she's not into France but into countries that beat France in a recent war?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Her hit album, 1789

Shake It Off [The Ancien Régime]

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

napoleon take the wheel

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

(I'm pretty sure this is wrong bc 6th Light Brigade went on the ground into Iraq in 1990 I'm pretty sure)

if you aren't on the last third of this one, you are a historical bad guy sorry (questionable though given most of the grey countries were parts of the coloured ones)

this one is also wrong because it's clearly counting 1812 as a canadian victory which every right thinking person knows is absolute bullshit

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this one is also wrong because it's clearly counting 1812 as a canadian victory which every right thinking person knows is absolute bullshit

Also Australia got beaten by emus and Korea was successfully conquered by the Mongols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What war did Ireland lose?