Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
I was wondering why me and my friends were getting spammed with messages to donate to Trump. Good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Remember though, this assumes that Trump org is fully solvent and not leveraged to fuckall and back. If they have to start dumping properties to pay off loans well, that 400m he theoretically could make from truth social won't go very far either, since he has been a personal guaranteer. I wouldn't be surprised if he declared bankruptcy in the next year, assuming he loses the erection.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yiggy posted:

Curious to what extent the ensuing investigations and today’s judgement were coincident with or a consequence of the expose published by the NYT detailing much of the fraud that was targeted in this fraud case. Does this happen absent that expose? I’m bitter about NYTimes coverage during the Trump era but do I really have to give it to them on that one?

That was just the Weisselberg perjury flap. Probably had some impact but honestly this judgment from Engoron is middle-of-the-road if you dig into the guidelines he cites

Could've gone with $500M and five years banned. Or $600M and a lifetime ban. Either would have been appealable and possibly reducible.

This judgment won't be reduced.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I hope solicitors find that paying E. Jean Carroll's judgement takes priority when distributing the money.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cimber posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he declared bankruptcy in the next year, assuming he loses the erection.

:D

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Chinese Gordon posted:

His shares are worth $4bn *on paper* at the current valuation, which has been driven to insane heights by crazed retail investor chuds. If the lockin agreement is waived and he starts dumping the stock its value will quickly plummet and he'll be lucky to get $400m. It is a potential way out, though.

Yeah truth social is losing money and is completely worthless if trump doesn't win, as trump being on it is the only reason it has any "value". Anyone buying stock in it is basically just donating to trump indirectly. He also can't sell for six month, and other people have shares which I'm sure they'll start selling immediately if he does. Don't want to be the bag holder.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pleasant Friend posted:

I hope solicitors find that paying E. Jean Carroll's judgement takes priority when distributing the money.

They won't. The $460M+ he owes to New York State will be the first to act.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

mdemone posted:

They won't. The $460M+ he owes to New York State will be the first to act.

The Carroll money was already put into a fund that allowed him to appeal, right? Can that money be seized for something else?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

The Carroll money was already put into a fund that allowed him to appeal, right? Can that money be seized for something else?

They will seize it and then they will pay her out for it.

If they can seize it. If they can't then she won't get anything either.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Since Trump wriggles out of every jam, I'm trying to figure out how he wriggles out of his one. Would winning the Presidency again keep any of these claims from being enacted against him? How much foreign money can be back-channeled to him? A series of Powerball wins? I refuse to believe that good things are possible so someone confirm my belief that this won't matter because nothing matters tia.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Isn't Truth social basically the DWAC SPAC?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Trump Legal Troubles: Assuming He Loses The Erection

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Yeah truth social is losing money and is completely worthless if trump doesn't win, as trump being on it is the only reason it has any "value". Anyone buying stock in it is basically just donating to trump indirectly. He also can't sell for six month, and other people have shares which I'm sure they'll start selling immediately if he does. Don't want to be the bag holder.

The 6 month lockin agreement can be waived by the board, and they'll almost certainly capitulate if (when) Trump demands to be able to cash out. A lot of chud retail chumps will be ruined in the subsequent crash but Trump will probably be able to frame his sales as fighting back against the Deep State or whatever and so he'll clear enough to pay the judgements.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

Isn't Truth social basically the DWAC SPAC?

lol and they just got approval to buy/merge last week

Edit: I would sell on that, to be clear

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Comstar posted:

Place you bets ladies and gentleman, on how big is the fine going to be today.

My bet is $460 million.

The biggest fine in all of history, like no one has ever seen before. Many people are saying this with tears in their eyes. Just the biggest most glorious hugest fine of all time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

The biggest fine in all of history, like no one has ever seen before. Many people are saying this with tears in their eyes. Just the biggest most glorious hugest fine of all time.

I'm asking around to see if there's been a bigger fine levied in history but I don't think so

Aside from massive corporations. Like I mean to one dude and his criminal family.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mdemone posted:

I'm asking around to see if there's been a bigger fine levied in history but I don't think so

Aside from massive corporations. Like I mean to one dude and his criminal family.

Alex Jones owes north of a billion to the Sandy Hook families.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

C. Everett Koop posted:

Since Trump wriggles out of every jam, I'm trying to figure out how he wriggles out of his one.

He's got a lot of wriggling to do at least, but most of what wriggling he got to do where gets answered by criminal liability cases (georgia election overturning, jan 6) instead of the ones that are merely doing the business to whats left of his business enterprise

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

C. Everett Koop posted:

Since Trump wriggles out of every jam, I'm trying to figure out how he wriggles out of his one. Would winning the Presidency again keep any of these claims from being enacted against him?

This is a state judgement, so on paper, no. However, being in charge of the DOJ. There is also no precedent for the president having a huge unpaid civil judgement against them so things would slow down a lot. At worst, he could threaten to unilaterally do something extremely damaging to the country if they don't ease up on him

So just like everything else, whether or not he becomes president again is the biggest and most important unknown

quote:

How much foreign money can be back-channeled to him?

A lot less than there used to be, now that his finances are almost entirely in the hands of the courts. He's a horrible investment for a legitimate business and too closely watched for anyone shadier to bail him out

I guess one of the evil billionaires that runs the country could pay it off on his behalf, but most billionaires don't have hundreds of millions of dollars of liquid assets lying around and freeing up the cash would reduce their balance sheet by significantly more

quote:

A series of Powerball wins?

Probably wouldn't transfer the cash to him before the election

quote:

I refuse to believe that good things are possible so someone confirm my belief that this won't matter because nothing matters tia.

We're not out of the woods yet but this is a hugely damaging blow that will have major repercussions at least up until January of next year and possibly for the rest of his life

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 17, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

C. Everett Koop posted:

Since Trump wriggles out of every jam, I'm trying to figure out how he wriggles out of his one. Would winning the Presidency again keep any of these claims from being enacted against him? How much foreign money can be back-channeled to him? A series of Powerball wins? I refuse to believe that good things are possible so someone confirm my belief that this won't matter because nothing matters tia.

He follows his dad's advice and keeps six months cash in the house?

021624_2
Feb 17, 2024
i guess he'll have to take up shop in Jersey

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rkd_ posted:

I was wondering why me and my friends were getting spammed with messages to donate to Trump. Good news.

Not to throw shade on your friends but you should probably not lend any of them any money in the near future. Just in case.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Alex Jones owes north of a billion to the Sandy Hook families.

poo poo I forgot about him :doh:

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Chinese Gordon posted:

His shares are worth $4bn *on paper* at the current valuation, which has been driven to insane heights by crazed retail investor chuds. If the lockin agreement is waived and he starts dumping the stock its value will quickly plummet and he'll be lucky to get $400m. It is a potential way out, though.

It could easily double or triple by November regardless of how worthless the stock is. I guess his finances are more or less at the irrational whims of meme stock investors. If he is able to cash out at $1b, he'd be better off even after this verdict.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
One very fun little wrinkle in Engoron's decision is in the description of the severance package that Allan Weisselberg, the Trump Org's ex-CFO, got when he was fired for one of the other Trump Org-related fraud cases.

quote:

Allen Weisselberg was the CFO of the Trump Organization from 2002 until he was placed on leave in October 2022, after pleading guilty to 15 criminal counts of tax fraud and falsification of business records at the Trump Organization. TT 790; PX 1751, 3041. In that same vein, his testimony in this trial was intentionally evasive, with large gaps of “I don’t remember.” He conceded that his Separation Agreement, on which he is still apparently awaiting four payments, prohibits him from voluntarily cooperating with any entity “adverse” to the Trump Organization or its former or current employees. PX 1751. That alone renders his testimony highly unreliable. The Trump Organization keeps Weisselberg on a short leash, and it shows.
Weisselberg affirmed that he understood that under the terms of the separation agreement, he was not permitted to cooperate voluntarily with any law enforcement agency adverse to the Trump Organization, including the Attorney General’s Office.

There's a literal "don't talk to the cops" clause in it. In a nice little bit of twisting the knife, Engoron adds a footnote that suggests it's highly unlikely to be enforceable - with the citation being one of the cases about the nondisclosure agreements the Trump campaign made everyone sign.

quote:

Although not before this Court, such provision would almost certainly be unenforceable as against public policy, to the extent that it restricts full and truthful cooperation with legal investigations and actions. Denson v Donald J. Trump for President, Inc., 530 F Supp 3d 412, 437 (SDNY 2021) (Trump campaign’s non-disclosure and non-disparagement provisions are invalid and unenforceable as against public policy).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cimber posted:

He follows his dad's advice and keeps six months cash in the house?

It's in a banana stand but Eric burns it down.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
trump immediately said he’d appeal but it seems unclear if he knows he’d have to put up the $460mi in escrow to do so

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Levitate posted:

trump immediately said he’d appeal but it seems unclear if he knows he’d have to put up the $460mi in escrow to do so

maybe he meant “appeal for donations”

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Subjunctive posted:

maybe he meant “appeal for donations”

Trump Legal Troubles: Appealing for donations

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Timmy Age 6 posted:

One very fun little wrinkle in Engoron's decision is in the description of the severance package that Allan Weisselberg, the Trump Org's ex-CFO, got when he was fired for one of the other Trump Org-related fraud cases.

There's a literal "don't talk to the cops" clause in it. In a nice little bit of twisting the knife, Engoron adds a footnote that suggests it's highly unlikely to be enforceable - with the citation being one of the cases about the nondisclosure agreements the Trump campaign made everyone sign.

"What do you mean the "You agree to not squeal to the pigs about any illegal activites" isn't a legally enforceable clause? Says who? ... law enforcement, you say?"

I mean, who would actually expect a court to honor that when the justice system comes a-knocking for information?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
It’s “if you ask whether they’re a cop they have to tell you” level of thinking

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the "u have to tell me if u are a cop" disclaimer he signed for himself and mailed to the police

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mdemone posted:

Trump will eventually wind up bragging about it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cimber posted:

Remember though, this assumes that Trump org is fully solvent and not leveraged to fuckall and back. If they have to start dumping properties to pay off loans well, that 400m he theoretically could make from truth social won't go very far either, since he has been a personal guaranteer. I wouldn't be surprised if he declared bankruptcy in the next year, assuming he loses the erection.

Are the fines levied by the court dischargeable in bankruptcy or are they like student loans and he can't get out of them short of winning an appeal?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They are not dischargeable in a bankruptcy.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So it's months old now I think but I gotta ask; the hell is the thread title in reference to?

Also, yeah, I was under the impression/understanding that any otherwise legal contract or binding document that has illegal clauses is null and void? Like hence why there's no such thing as consensual murder in places where euthanasia is illegal. I cannot sign a document saying I give consent to be killed.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So it's months old now I think but I gotta ask; the hell is the thread title in reference to?

Someone posted in what they thought was the Baldur's Gate 3 thread, and many lols were had.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

skeleton warrior posted:

Someone posted in what they thought was the Baldur's Gate 3 thread, and many lols were had.

This thread seems to now have the proud tradition of people posting wild video games things in here on accident.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Shammypants posted:

Virtually all of Trumps wealth is tied up in NYC. He's locked in here and he has no way out.

I think Rorschach rules apply in this instance - he's not trapped in here with us, we're trapped in here with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
The Steiner one was :discourse: