Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the standalone espn stream is still in development

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1755341105665568954?s=46

e:

https://twitter.com/bristei/status/1755344770904269210?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1755279309433196772

E: for context, the clip she's referring to:

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1602320855765323776

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hadn’t realized there had been some strife at CBS, and wonder if Romo is a on short leash after a rough Super Bowl

https://x.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/1756897399723696474?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You could tell once Romo got further and further from playing he like doesn't prepare and hasn't gotten any better.

Early on he extremely relied on him playing recently to be able to easily guess what was coming and information.

Compare him to like Greg Olsen who I think does a loving amazing job, it's a travesty Tom is kicking him out of the number one job.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought Romo was fine yesterday before he got all weird in OT.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ve seen some discussion that CBS could dump Romo and go get Greg Olsen, since Fox is throwing him out so that they can pay Tom Brady a stupid amount of money

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Truther Vandross posted:

I thought Romo was fine yesterday before he got all weird in OT.

I generally agree except I really don't want to hear about Kelce's leverage anymore.

Didn't I hear something about a new president coming in? Could be some selective coverage because new guy wants to clean house.

I also like Olsen but I also think color commentators basically always have a shelf life and should be rotated.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Romo stepped all over Nantz’s call of the final TD too and never let the moment breathe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DJExile posted:

Romo stepped all over Nantz’s call of the final TD too and never let the moment breathe.

Yeah in OT he started babbling too much and I think he kinda forgot he was part of a booth team. I thought regulation he was ok, or at least he was like Tony Romo kinda always is.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Am I crazy or did he use the phrase "triumph of will" at one point

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’ve seen some discussion that CBS could dump Romo and go get Greg Olsen, since Fox is throwing him out so that they can pay Tom Brady a stupid amount of money

I wouldn't count on it. Romo still has a contract and I don't know the ins and outs of it but they'd have to pay him out at the very least the remainder of his contract. On top of that Greg Olsen is also under contract and I think he will show some loyalty to fox in the short term as he gets shuffled. I even just saw an article that goes on to suggest that many people do not think Tom Brady will even finish the entirety of his 10 year contract with Fox in the booth anyways so Olsen might get shuffled to a very solid 2nd spot and then get bumped up again once Brady gets bored of that. Its very unclear. Fox Sports often has a football seminar going into the NCAA/NFL season that often takes place end of july early august so I doubt we'll get any clarification on any of this until then.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Romo is in a weird place where I don't think he's totally lost his insightfulness from a few years ago (although he's obviously less dialed in than he was when he was fresh out of the league), but he has gotten appreciably worse at communicating that insight. There were a few moments during the Super Bowl where I was like "I think I know what he's getting at and it makes sense, but he's basically spitting out nonsense if you're not already pretty much aware of the point he's trying to make."

That being said, I also think he's in the middle of a transition from "Legitimately sharp broadcaster" to "Legitimately weird broadcaster" and if he gets all the way to the other side, I think he could be fun for completely different reasons than he was initially. Just need to let him get a little older and lose even more of his inhibitions

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My personal theory is Romo was told to chill out with the predictions because he was upstaging Nantz.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Truther Vandross posted:

My personal theory is Romo was told to chill out with the predictions because he was upstaging Nantz.

I think I'm a bit of an outlier but I've never loved Nantz. I also don't give two fucks about golf so I have no reverence for him being the voice of the masters or whatever either.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is Nance the one with the laminated card with instructions on how he wants his toast?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

General Dog posted:

Is Nance the one with the laminated card with instructions on how he wants his toast?

Al Michaels is the one that can never touch a vegetable

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Yes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My only experience with Nantz was in the media tent of the Memorial and he was a dickhead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

and with giving a tie to a student during the Final Four, right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

harperdc posted:

and with giving a tie to a student during the Final Four, right?

I actually kind of liked that one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nantz sucks poo poo and while Romo isn't as great as he used to be I will always prefer the weirdo overexcited dude to the "listen to me I'm mister professional broadcaster" guy

regardless, Cris Collinsworth should be thrown in a wood chipper

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

soggybagel posted:

I think I'm a bit of an outlier but I've never loved Nantz. I also don't give two fucks about golf so I have no reverence for him being the voice of the masters or whatever either.

A TRADITION UNLIKE ANY OTHER

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/cbssportsgang/status/1757231295044682130?s=46

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Romo is in a weird place where I don't think he's totally lost his insightfulness from a few years ago (although he's obviously less dialed in than he was when he was fresh out of the league), but he has gotten appreciably worse at communicating that insight. There were a few moments during the Super Bowl where I was like "I think I know what he's getting at and it makes sense, but he's basically spitting out nonsense if you're not already pretty much aware of the point he's trying to make."

That being said, I also think he's in the middle of a transition from "Legitimately sharp broadcaster" to "Legitimately weird broadcaster" and if he gets all the way to the other side, I think he could be fun for completely different reasons than he was initially. Just need to let him get a little older and lose even more of his inhibitions

Romo takes over the DGAF commentator spot from Bill Walton, ends up calling late night Big Ten games tripping acid.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1757490394042900595?s=46

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the secondary market for football broadcast rights

love a rent seeking media company

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Mr. Beast Presents the Cotton Bowl

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The ACCs game sent to the CW.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In case anyone was wondering, MLS Season Pass has about 2 million subscribers at last count.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Edward Mass posted:

In case anyone was wondering, MLS Season Pass has about 2 million subscribers at last count.

Does that include those who got it through T-Mobile for free?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mike_V posted:

Does that include those who got it through T-Mobile for free?

Yes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I watch 3 sometimes 4 games in a season with my MLS season pass!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I gave it a shot last year, it was really lovely when I had the time on match weeks to watch, but holy poo poo I have hit my breaking point with the Timbers front office right now.

I’m not re-subscribing to the full pass just to start frustrated. I know the standard Apple TV+ gets you some games, I’ll see what’s on offer, and if by some miracle Portland starts playing like prime Wenger Arsenal then I’ll jump in then.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

harperdc posted:

I gave it a shot last year, it was really lovely when I had the time on match weeks to watch, but holy poo poo I have hit my breaking point with the Timbers front office right now.

I’m not re-subscribing to the full pass just to start frustrated. I know the standard Apple TV+ gets you some games, I’ll see what’s on offer, and if by some miracle Portland starts playing like prime Wenger Arsenal then I’ll jump in then.

You should ping me if they get that good. I've stopped following them, and my teammates at work seem to be doing the same. Pretty sad, given how so many of us were invested in the Timbers before the management were revealed to be inveterate shitweasels.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You should ping me if they get that good. I've stopped following them, and my teammates at work seem to be doing the same. Pretty sad, given how so many of us were invested in the Timbers before the management were revealed to be inveterate shitweasels.

Lapsed Colorado Rapids fan here, Is it better to have inveterate shitweasels or an owner who I legit thinks most of the time forgets he has an MLS team?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

harperdc posted:

Jump ship to the Thorns! The new owners seem more like bog standard billionaire jerks than complete loons, and you only need *checks notes* 4 separate streaming services to watch their games this season? Jfc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kenny Smith decided to do a big ol’ sexism last night

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thaddius the Large posted:

Jump ship to the Thorns! The new owners seem more like bog standard billionaire jerks than complete loons, and you only need *checks notes* 4 separate streaming services to watch their games this season? Jfc

Are they still giving away free tickets if you fill up at Shell stations? Always found it funny that one of the top level sports teams here gets treated like a high school team needing to do bake sales. And I still won't buy overpriced gas when there are so many other options around.

Thorns are cool, I should get a scarf.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I don’t understand what was sexist about what Kenny said; her best chance to win would have been from the WNBA line. She still did great, not everything needs to be a big controversy. Maybe people prefer commentators who are just cheerleaders and say nothing of substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ace Jameson posted:

I don’t understand what was sexist about what Kenny said; her best chance to win would have been from the WNBA line. She still did great, not everything needs to be a big controversy. Maybe people prefer commentators who are just cheerleaders and say nothing of substance.

It was very evident from the fact that she had the same score as the top four in the men’s contest that distance wasn’t the issue. She lost to the best shooter of all time by a relatively small margin. It was dismissive and lmao at the idea that Kenny said anything of substance.

This is also a time where the most famous female basketball player shoots from Steph range regularly. We’re probably not far from the WNBA line moving to NBA distance.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 18, 2024