Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I wonder if Chibnall is a Loom Guy and doesn't believe Gallifrey should have kids present, and so he wrote it like there are no kids on Gallifrey, and simply ignored the precedent set by Day of the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
No doubt in my mind Chibbers is a Loom Truther.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Narsham posted:

I think this moment could play well registering both the Doctor’s anger about that past scene and especially about the Master killing ALL the TIME LORDS

She's told "someone" killed all the Time Lords by the Master, but assumes he's lying. The "I killed all the Time Lords!" bit isn't until the end

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
If they only ever said "Time Lords" then I guess it should be pretty easy for RTD to say the only ones killed were the adults who'd made it through the Academy, while the kids and everyone else not partial to silly headwear are still safe outside the Citadel.

Still not sure exactly how he's going to handle all the fallout from that run, but we've already seen that he's definitely not ignoring or handwaving it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Looms own. But no, Chibnall would hate the Looms.

Since we've got the knives out, you guys have heard that Whizz Kid from Greatest Show In The Galaxy is a parody of the guy, yeah?

PriorMarcus posted:

I agree with all of the above.

I wonder if one way to salvage something from the Time Lords being killed is to say it really was just the Citadel and the Time Lords who the Master killed. You could have the people of Gallifrey trying to make something of themselves with the Doctor guiding them.

What happens when the facist upper class are disposed and the repressed majority have to build something better?

I think I've talked about this before, but the entirety of the Timelords are a fascist upper class. There's not an underclass, you're either part of the machinery cataloguing the universe i.e. the Academy, Chancellery, the Chancellery Guard, or you're out on your ear.

I don't have a loving clue who the barn people are from Heaven Sent, but Moffat's conception of the planet doesn't make any sense to me. Why would the Doctor have servants, who are they even looking after, and how is he comfortable with being waited on by them. Feels totally out of character. (Also since when were the Sisterhood let back on the planet?)

I doubt the Master killed all the nomads (or anyone who'd once been a Timelord and since hosed off), so there's that at least. Strikes me that, between reverting the Master and killing off all the Timelords, Chibbers seemed very keen on the idea of undoing a lot of what Moffat did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:smugbert:“Welcome home, Doctor!”
:what: “Wait… what? the Master said he killed you all.”
:smugbert: <soft paternal laughter> “Oh dear me, no. We put the Master in a matrix projection, making him think he’d done that, and showed him some tawdry ‘secret truth of the Time Lords’ we knocked up in an afternoon. Amused us no end.”

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
While I can't recall whether it's ever made explicit in the show, I always thought the fandom generally accepted that "Time Lords" were just an elite subset of "Gallifreyans". At the very least, if you have to go through some sort of ordeal (the one that drove the Master mad) and graduate the Academy to be acknowledged as a Time Lord, there would be people who did not. Somebody's gotta clean the Loo(m)s.

I always thought the barn people were implied to be people who knew the Doctor from his time on Gallifrey and were treating him as a guest but could definitely be wrong on that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I didn't get the impression that he was treating them as servants, but rather accepting their hospitality.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There were always Shobogans.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An earlier episode implied the Doctor was in some kind of group home or boarding school as a kid, and Hell Bent was him going back there. They showed him a good time because they seemed prepared to welcome back any of "the boys" who returned, and the Doctor was a hero who'd saved the planet besides

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

While I can't recall whether it's ever made explicit in the show, I always thought the fandom generally accepted that "Time Lords" were just an elite subset of "Gallifreyans". At the very least, if you have to go through some sort of ordeal (the one that drove the Master mad) and graduate the Academy to be acknowledged as a Time Lord, there would be people who did not. Somebody's gotta clean the Loo(m)s.

Timelords are a subset of Gallifreyians, but only in the sense that the people who aren't Timelords are expelled from the city. The Timelords are hideously xenophobic and classist, they don't interact with the lesser races AKA literally everyone else.

As for toilets, they're a hyper advanced society. Nobody needs to clean anything. Anyway, can you imagine a filthy outlander mopping a floor? Gross. They should mop themselves instead. On the way out.

(Also, uh, it depends on who's representing the city since it changes from story to story but it's hard to imagine the version of the Capitol from The Deadly Assassin having ever been cleaned.)

Re: The Master: IIRC not all Timelords have to look through the Untempered Schism. Seems like something they just did to the kid who ended up being the Master because Timelords are jerks who do child experimentation.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I didn't get the impression that he was treating them as servants, but rather accepting their hospitality.

It's the same barn from Listen, so I think it's Moffat's conception of his childhood home. I think the servant reading makes sense within Moffat's framework.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 16, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I thought the implication from Listen was that the barn was near the Academy and the people there were staff of some sort.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I thought the implication from Listen was that the barn was near the Academy and the people there were staff of some sort.

The Academy would be inside though, the barn's outside the city limits in the middle of featureless desert.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Academy would be inside though, the barn's outside the city limits in the middle of featureless desert.

Not necessarily, we don’t know enough to say either way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
At the time of Listen he hadnt gone to the Academy yet, whoever else is in the scene discusses how he isn't Time Lord material and will probably end up in the army

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

An earlier episode implied the Doctor was in some kind of group home or boarding school as a kid, and Hell Bent was him going back there. They showed him a good time because they seemed prepared to welcome back any of "the boys" who returned, and the Doctor was a hero who'd saved the planet besides

Now that they're leaning into the humble beginnings/orphan story, it's time for the Doctor to take on Ichiban Kasuga as his next companion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With only a couple of exceptions, every time the show spends any time trying to look any more at the Time Lords it just muddies the waters further and gets more confusing, and I was perfectly happy with Moffat's decision to (mostly) just have the Doctor gently caress off and stay as far away from them as possible once he'd saved Gallifrey from destruction (thanks for undoing that pointlessly, Chibnall :mad:)

One of the particular issues I have with Chibnall's run is that it invites pedantic discussion of the minutiae of the show itself because the whole thing is filled with contradictions and giant holes in his "explanation" and that's entirely his own fault, because he wanted to make the basis of it that stupid loving easter egg from The Brain of Morbius. If he's going to hinge the Doctor's whole "origin" story (which we never needed) around "explaining" one particular moment from a decades old story, it means all the other particular moments from other decades old stories that entirely contradict his "solution" to a problem that didn't actually exist in the first place have to be considered too.

As a result, discussion of the show becomes an exercise in navel gazing instead of actually telling good stories, and it's part of why I'm so glad to have RTD back, because his primary interest is in telling good stories first and he'll bring those little nods and twists on the show's prior history into an episode in service of a story, as opposed to replacing the story itself.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like how the Doctor using the Master's skin color against him to send him to a concentration camp happens like ten minutes after she yells at Ada Lovelace for using a steamgun to nonlethally distract the Master while he's executing a room full of people one by one. Thirteen's moral compass is bizarre.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like how the Doctor using the Master's skin color against him to send him to a concentration camp happens like ten minutes after she yells at Ada Lovelace for using a steamgun to nonlethally distract the Master while he's executing a room full of people one by one. Thirteen's moral compass is bizarre.
Again, it comes down to Chibnall having an utterly surface level understanding of his own profession. He knows that the Doctor disliking using guns is a thing. He doesn't understand why it's a thing, nor does he think he'd get anything out of that understanding; surely referencing the trope is enough?

Meanwhile in the Battle of Rice Crispies last season you have the bit where the Doctor gabbles about how she's not keen on guns but she's fine with using explosives.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Now that they're leaning into the humble beginnings/orphan story, it's time for the Doctor to take on Ichiban Kasuga as his next companion.

Wow way to plant a seed I'll be waiting my whole life to never see sprout. If nothing else Yakuza 9 should add a Doctor Who stand-in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Wow way to plant a seed I'll be waiting my whole life to never see sprout. If nothing else Yakuza 9 should add a Doctor Who stand-in.

Ichiban finishes an odd encounter with a weird but seemingly harmless kook, starts telling the others about them but they say there is nobody else around, Ichiban looks but they're gone and so is the Blue Box that they were standing by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2b4pEEBnnk

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Isn't there an episode where she gets mad at a guy for wanting to shoot the giant killer spiders with a gun, and her solution was to instead lock them all in a freezer to freeze/suffocate/starve/canibilise each other?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah but the guy who said "shooting's quicker" was bad trump no good trump man and he made a mean face so you know he's in the wrong

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Boxturret posted:

Isn't there an episode where she gets mad at a guy for wanting to shoot the giant killer spiders with a gun, and her solution was to instead lock them all in a freezer to freeze/suffocate/starve/canibilise each other?

There's also Orphan 55 where she demands that the lady who owns the hotel takes her and all the guests out in their van into the wilderness, then angrily denounces the lady who owns the hotel (who is a monster, to be fair) for taking the guests out in a van into the wilderness.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean, the last two times the Doctor took a bus out into the wilderness, it didn't end particularly well...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Like I said before there is a coherent argument for the doctor not carrying guns and being dismissive of guns. Guns are a tool with almost exclusively the purpose of killing things. If you have a gun or a death ray at your immediate disposal it becomes a crutch you fall back on. When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. The Doctor's promise to themselves, never cruel or cowardly, is a constant struggle. Why make an instrument of death your first recourse?

But the show rarely articulates this point of view.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's similar to the way a prototype gun messed up everyone who encountered it in one of the Discworld books. You don't even have to want to kill someone very much for a gun to kill them

E: there was a kind of good nuanced bit in the Ranskoor Av Kolos episode where the Doctor tells Ryan to shoot cybermen and he says "I thought you didn't like guns" and she says "I said that when you were new"

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 17, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Like I said before there is a coherent argument for the doctor not carrying guns and being dismissive of guns. Guns are a tool with almost exclusively the purpose of killing things. If you have a gun or a death ray at your immediate disposal it becomes a crutch you fall back on. When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. The Doctor's promise to themselves, never cruel or cowardly, is a constant struggle. Why make an instrument of death your first recourse?

But the show rarely articulates this point of view.

(I always drag Trek in) I'm vaguely reminded of the way that when they were developing Trek TNG they deliberately went out of their way to design and depict hand phasers as tools with a great number of versatile uses, shooting people just being one, because on a thematic and metaphorical level they didn't want the show to be one where the cast regularly carries weapon weapons. (Which is why they redesigned them to look really awkward, because they didn't want them to look like guns.)

(That kind of fell off over the years, but decades later LDS does this really well, we mainly see phasers on that show being used as day to day engineering tools)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 17, 2024

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The new Ninth Doctor box has so many great moments.

"Wait, what's French for 'Deja Vu'?"
The TARDIS' translation is on the fritz: "What the blooming heck are you doing here, but in Italian?"
He doesn't want Benny to know it's him, so he can't call himself "John Smith", so he panicked and called himself Professor Arthur Fandango

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lottery of Babylon posted:

She was perfectly okay with Ada throwing grenades though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Laser gun shooting robots: bad

Emp bomb destroying robots: good

Handgun quickly killing spiders: bad

Spiders slowly and painfully dying of starvation: good

nonlethal steam powered ball bearing gun: bad

Grenades: good

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Watched Parting of the Ways today. Christ, Tennant was young. His face. So sharp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Feels odd to call somebody in their mid-30s young, but yeah holy poo poo he looks like a little babby wearing a leather jacket, it's kinda amazing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Every time Chibnall writes a heavy-handed anti-gun PSA, he does it by writing a situation that seems artificially contrived to make the pro-gun position unambiguously correct.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Jerusalem posted:

Feels odd to call somebody in their mid-30s young, but yeah holy poo poo he looks like a little babby wearing a leather jacket, it's kinda amazing.

I've just realised I'm now older than Tennant was when he became the Doctor, so yeah he's definitely young. 😓

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

The_Doctor posted:

:smugbert:“Welcome home, Doctor!”
:what: “Wait… what? the Master said he killed you all.”
:smugbert: <soft paternal laughter> “Oh dear me, no. We put the Master in a matrix projection, making him think he’d done that, and showed him some tawdry ‘secret truth of the Time Lords’ we knocked up in an afternoon. Amused us no end.”
Or even something like "We fought Great Time Wars against some of the darkest horrors in reality, do you think one renegade and an assimilation plot would really kill all of us? Oh the cyberlords? They're still around - trapped in a parasite universe, stuck in a closer timeline with their creation and destruction tied together. They might try to get out, I suppose"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Creature posted:

I've just realised I'm now older than Tennant was when he became the Doctor, so yeah he's definitely young. 😓

If it makes you feel better, David Tennant is now only 3 years younger than William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor :stare:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Itzena posted:

Or even something like "We fought Great Time Wars against some of the darkest horrors in reality, do you think one renegade and an assimilation plot would really kill all of us? Oh the cyberlords? They're still around - trapped in a parasite universe, stuck in a closer timeline with their creation and destruction tied together. They might try to get out, I suppose"

I've said it before, but we only saw the capitol razed and a bunch of Time Lords converted. Have the majority of time lords have evacuated by TARDISes and become scattered nomads.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

If it makes you feel better, David Tennant is now only 3 years younger than William Hartnell was when he first played the Doctor :stare:

Hartnell really had some rough mileage on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A.o.D. posted:

Hartnell really had some rough mileage on him.

Living through 2 World Wars will do that to you