Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Shockeh posted:

Is there a Goon FG Discord? I feel sure there was...

I need to programme my brain to use WR3 as Jun, not WR4. I can't help myself, I keep pressing 4, and it gives up so much damage on duckable poo poo.

There is! It is called Goonsgarden and here is the link from the front page of the fighting games thread: https://discord.gg/PXKKpJWFWj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dewstep cancelling in combos is so hard :negative:

Meant to post this last night, but man yellow ranks are hard to climb in. Half the time when it's a close match I could win, or if I do win, they just one and done me. The only people that will play the set are the people clearly better than me most of the time rip.

Went on a losing streak into characters I just haven't fought before, but then won like.. 5 or 6 games where the person was way higher ranked than me so ended up higher than I started so I spose alls well that ends well? One thing I realized is that I built a bad habit earlier in the week by not using proper punishes and just going low a million times. I need to work on using my proper medium frame punishes instead of just going for a launch or doing a low that isn't even an actual punish

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Alright so I've been practicing Paul a bit more with what people have said in mind, and it is the not being able to buffer the qcf stuff that messes with me. I come from sf6 which apparently is somewhat lenient.Thinking of it as a stance not a part of a move is very helpful. I also noticed what some have said about ps pads being a little odd on those motions, as I am using a ps pad. Going to try out an 8bitdo neogeo controller tonight and see if there's a difference.

Update 2 of my call to Paul journey

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

After looking at the Reina hoodie up variant I'm 80% sure her shiny purple hoodie is a callback to Jin's shiny purple Tekken 4 hoodie.

I tried my ghost to see if I could notice my bad habits, and I realized the ghost doesn't train on my online match data. I thought the ghosts were training on online matches so we could use them to check fighting styles, but mine was just doing the same dumb strings I did when I first started up the game, so it had obviously just been wallowing in the arcade there. Poor ghost :(

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Has anyone messed with the rollback settings? I'm playing on a wired fiber connection and wondering if changing away from standard would do much?

I tried a couple games last night with prioritized responsiveness and a few prioritize fluidity but I think due to the opponents connection I couldn't tell what was better.

I normally only accept 5bars wired in ranked and 4+ wired/wireless in quick play.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The internet is melting down over the tekken shop. I think it's lame to add a shop after release when the reviews can't mention it but w/e. Customization is still better in this game then most fighters, SF is down right poo poo for that. It'd be nice if you can use fight coins, if not I might throw 5 dollars at a Feng or Eddy costume and that's all since ill be playing this game for like 4 years.

Hopefully functional improvements means doing something about the disconnect rate being 0 for everyone.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
We also don't know anything about the Tekken Shop. It could just be a way to spend the tekken coins you accumulate from playing. Like, probably not, but who knows.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've not hosed around much in the shop but i feel like i already have 10x the tekken bux i need to buy everything in there

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

They're going to bleed people dry for those bikinis. As it should be.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
You get like 140,000 Tekken bux for an online win, and the few items I've unlocked have all cost significantly less than that. I assume I have something in the vicinity of a hundred million in the Tekken bank by now, so it'd be a nice surprise if they made them useful.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Nice Van My Man posted:

They're going to bleed people dry for those bikinis. As it should be.

Can't wait for Kuma's bearkini.

I would also like a red panda colour scheme for Panda.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

You get so many combat coins for everything they might as well not even have them. It's never even been a consideration when unlocking costumes. I am 100% sure they won't let you use those, although they might do what MK did and let you win some amount of paid currency in an online match mode. I'd honestly kind of like little MK11 seasons style tournaments for higher tier play money, it ups the stakes a little.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assume an In-Game Purchases ESRB rating mean real currency is involved

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
I'd be shocked if they didn't do the shop thing to milk some real bucks for cosmetics, only question seems to be how reasonable the milking will be.

Nice Van My Man posted:

After looking at the Reina hoodie up variant I'm 80% sure her shiny purple hoodie is a callback to Jin's shiny purple Tekken 4 hoodie.

I tried my ghost to see if I could notice my bad habits, and I realized the ghost doesn't train on my online match data. I thought the ghosts were training on online matches so we could use them to check fighting styles, but mine was just doing the same dumb strings I did when I first started up the game, so it had obviously just been wallowing in the arcade there. Poor ghost :(

I've seen the same thing with my Reina ghost that I played arcade quest with, after playing her online the ghost is no longer updating even when I play against it and try to teach it new tricks. Other ghosts seem to be updating just fine. Either there is a max limit of data that can be processed and the offline fills it up, or the system is bugged for characters that were played offline first. (I'd consider the first a bug too, honestly).

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume an In-Game Purchases ESRB rating mean real currency is involved

Ah, I completely ignored that. I'm going to meltdown now.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Autsj posted:

I'd be shocked if they didn't do the shop thing to milk some real bucks for cosmetics, only question seems to be how reasonable the milking will be.

I've seen the same thing with my Reina ghost that I played arcade quest with, after playing her online the ghost is no longer updating even when I play against it and try to teach it new tricks. Other ghosts seem to be updating just fine. Either there is a max limit of data that can be processed and the offline fills it up, or the system is bugged for characters that were played offline first. (I'd consider the first a bug too, honestly).

Definitely something up, I tried training it directly today with no luck. I did nothing but run up and headbutt them for a few matches and they didn't learn anything. It still does moves and strings I almost never do and doesn't know my B&B combo at all. I was hoping to train some ghosts to just grab constantly so that I could get in some somewhat more realistic grab practice. I'll try with another character to see if your theory about data corruption is correct.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You can set up training to practice grab breaking in a way that's much easier than training a ghost

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The method PhiDX lays out here for training throw breaks has felt pretty good, I've had major problems with this in the past but following these steps has felt like making progress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

The problem I had before was that I was throwing too many options at myself at the outset before getting a solid foundation, and also grinding too many incorrect presses and getting both more frustrated and flinchy. The big lessons he has here of starting with the simplest, most predictable binary before adding more options (even if it seems "unrealistic" at first) and also that "being slow is better than being incorrect" have been really helpful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tekken is so loving easy on friday night goddamn

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hopping on ranked and the first match of the night I'm about to win the final round and the Kazuya one rank above me plugs... This poo poo really takes the wind out of my sails to keep playing ranked atm. I'm remembering why I hit a decent rank in 7 and played most of the rest of the game in quick match..... I feel like there's just way more plugging in 8 in general, I think 8 has attracted a lot more casual players who get easily frustrated and that plugging has become like a meme in the community this time so its encouraging more people to do it.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 17, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Update-went about 14-4 in ranked after that and am in shinryu now. Nice. Back to quickmatch. Took out a lot of Laws for some reason. Barely saw any in the lower ranks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah I've seen it too and its pathetic. It also kills your win streak. Not that I've ever had one of those

I rematch everyone always haha. Unless the match is laggy, something that happens way more frequently than I'd like.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just came here to say, gently caress Feng.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lol, feng is a fair character compared to most. I'd put him top 50% but not top 5. He does have good moves and good heat moves but not too much cheese. You'll mainly find him frustrating if you're pressing buttons during frame traps or when its not your turn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Tekken is so loving easy on friday night goddamn

lol i guess i'm one of the free losers who's feeding you wins because i'm 0-8 tonight lmao

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Seltzer posted:

You can set up training to practice grab breaking in a way that's much easier than training a ghost

Yeah I did that, but I want something the simulates a fight just a little bit more. I've successfully trained a Dragunov bot that loves to mix up throws, but sometimes mixes in his other stuff. The ghosts are neat but as someone said earlier it's definitely broken and at some point fairly early on your AI stops learning. I hope they fix it because I think it could be cool, but I don't hear about too many people using them so I doubt they'll get enough attention.

The throw training must be working somewhat because I managed to fend off a Victor who kept using his cheap rear end super fast throws. I don't know how I managed to escape them because I can barely even see that he's throwing during the window, never mind which arm is slightly more forward.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was seeing more one-and-done opponnents tonight

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Got a ki charging win quitting Law but that's just par for the course.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Lol, feng is a fair character compared to most. I'd put him top 50% but not top 5. He does have good moves and good heat moves but not too much cheese. You'll mainly find him frustrating if you're pressing buttons during frame traps or when its not your turn.

I have no understanding of their abilities or performance compared to other characters and you've definitely got me pegged. Still though, gently caress Feng.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Players with predictable lows are so fun to paul df parry

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day 3 of practicing EWGF, except I was too lazy to plug in my leverless so I'm playing on pad just to kill a bit of time.

....anyway I'm much, much better at hitting electric on pad it turns out. No button fuckery, just raw df+2 at the right timing. It's not 100% but we're about 60% or so in the last five minutes what did I do all that practice on leverless for

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Artelier posted:

Day 3 of practicing EWGF, except I was too lazy to plug in my leverless so I'm playing on pad just to kill a bit of time.

....anyway I'm much, much better at hitting electric on pad it turns out. No button fuckery, just raw df+2 at the right timing. It's not 100% but we're about 60% or so in the last five minutes what did I do all that practice on leverless for

you practice with weights on, and when you take the weights off you see the true power you've gained.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Update: I feel like I am actively destroying my left thumb

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s why I can’t do fighting games on pad at all

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I got curious about something, and I can't find the answer online after maybe a whole minute of searching so I now have to find out:

can Shaheen surf Azazel?

can the falcon dude ride the mondo-rear end model that azazel got? and how ridiculous do it look

I will report back

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Artelier posted:

what did I do all that practice on leverless for

Artelier posted:

Update: I feel like I am actively destroying my left thumb

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The answer is no :<

Wow the throw parts of his moves all don't work. lame!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nea posted:

you practice with weights on, and when you take the weights off you see the true power you've gained.
Learning EWGF is really fascinating to me because I feel like my brain must be practicing it subconsciously when I’m sleeping. Sometimes I just boot up the game and can somehow do it cleaner on my first try than in any of the previous night’s 400 attempts.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

One thing for all my KBD, wavedash and EWGF on controller that I try to keep in mind to both make it more repeatable and spare myself any injury is that if I tense my muscles or push the buttons hard I don't count it and take a little break to loosen up. It makes things harder to do at first, but ultimately if I can do them completely relaxed they're way more repeatable in different scenarios and I avoid getting carpal tunnel trying to do Tekken moves.

I actually realized I tensed my muscles way too much doing KBD in Tekken 7, which both made it pretty sloppy and hurt my hands, so I started learning it again from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doing the second part of KBD/EWGF by thumb-sliding rather than jabbing made a big difference for me