Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

outhole surfer posted:

ohio is a solid conversation terminator

i thought kentucky would be similar, but that just leads to "but you don't sound like you're from kentucky"

bitch, what the gently caress do you know about kentucky accents beyond what you saw on justified

what in the bluegrass hell is going on over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

offer get :cheers:

i will tolerate san diego

they just sent me the number and it's ... low. less than i made last summer and less than i would make at the company ive currently signed to. but the work lines up slightly better with my interests and goals for my career

gotta think about this one. i certainly dont think it's worth trying to minmax compensation for an internship, though

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
internship money is comparatively very low to what you're going to be making later in your career yeah, the resume-impact and career alignment are going to be way more important. as long as they've got your housing covered I'd go w/ what's in your gut.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

it could just be small talk to find common ground, shared experiences

I’ve been asked this tons of times in interviews and I have a very common US name and am a white dude who could be from anywhere in the US

there's a lot of regular small talk stuff that you should not ask about in a job interview, though. people talk about kids all the time but an interviewer can't ask about anything that might be getting a signal on if someone's planning on taking parental leave, for instance

KidDynamite posted:

those were my thoughts as well. mention it in a friendly way if they become my coworker.

:yeah:

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

GenJoe posted:

internship money is comparatively very low to what you're going to be making later in your career yeah, the resume-impact and career alignment are going to be way more important. as long as they've got your housing covered I'd go w/ what's in your gut.

yeah. also im pretty sure the place ive signed to previously isn't actually profitable and is just running on their incredible stock performance (and therefore they have no 401k match). they've also been a meme for probably about a decade and a half now ....

compared to working for a company that prints money and doesn't lay off

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GenJoe posted:

:hmmyes:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well it looks like i helped hire my new soon to be coworker. he seems nice.

its been 2 years since i last worked with another developer so hopefully things work out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lord fifth posted:

they just sent me the number and it's ... low. less than i made last summer and less than i would make at the company ive currently signed to. but the work lines up slightly better with my interests and goals for my career

gotta think about this one. i certainly dont think it's worth trying to minmax compensation for an internship, though
san diego is famous for having bay area cost of living but omaha salaries

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lord fifth posted:

compared to working for a company that prints money and doesn't lay off

they definitely lay off. not a thousands like other places but they did layoffs last year.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FMguru posted:

san diego is famous for having bay area cost of living but omaha salaries

what we are saying LF is rent an apartment in tijuana

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lord fifth posted:

you're in a position where it is for sure hard to push for a bigger number, but you should at least *try* to push. gather some info on cost of living and use that as a motivation, more for yourself than it is for them, if you prefer.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
my recruiter was adamant that this is the very top of the pay range and i should be very happy. but i'll push back a little more since i really like the opportunity compared to what i have lined up (worlds most dunked on database company)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lord fifth posted:

my recruiter was adamant that this is the very top of the pay range and i should be very happy. but i'll push back a little more since i really like the opportunity compared to what i have lined up (worlds most dunked on database company)

that is real good opsec as you'd have to keep specifying for a very long time before i have any idea what company that is

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mongo or oracle. i bet, based upon lord fifth's unerring gift for finding internships with human scum, it's oracle

actually now that i actually read it maybe it's mongo, oracle fuckin prints

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

lord fifth posted:

do not work for oracle or mongodb. do try san diego, it's Good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gently caress, apparently i alone am the person who does not know the dunking hierarchy of db companies. otoh i am aware of rather many but have somehow never touched either oracle or mongodb

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bob dobbs is dead posted:

mongo or oracle. i bet, based upon lord fifth's unerring gift for finding internships with human scum, it's oracle

actually now that i actually read it maybe it's mongo, oracle fuckin prints

idk i've met some ex-oracle engineers who werent getting paid much

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i retired a service that ran mongo once and that's the only time i've touched it. about as good a thing as you can do with any tech tbh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Truman Peyote posted:

i retired a service that ran mongo once and that's the only time i've touched it. about as good a thing as you can do with any tech tbh

same and agreed

the service I retired had both mongo AND redis AND mysql in some sort of hosed up data daisychain

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah it’s either oracle or mongo. as someone who started their career with oracle: it’s a fine place to cut your teeth as long as you don’t get some weird stockholm syndrome attachment to them. you’ll want to be leaving that place after a couple years for greener pastures

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
to clear my name i would like it to be known that never in my life have i considered applying for a job at oracle corporation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lord fifth posted:

to clear my name i would like it to be known that never in my life have i considered applying for a job at oracle corporation

oh. oh no. this is the wrong denial in this context.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
oracle folks I've met usually get paid quite well on initial offer and then never get anything more than a 0.5% raise while they are there. ymmv etc.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

oracle folks I've met usually get paid quite well on initial offer and then never get anything more than a 0.5% raise while they are there. ymmv etc.

yyup

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lord fifth posted:

qualcomm is just as bad

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
good thing i have also never in my life applied to qualcomm :jerkbag:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lord fifth posted:

all recruiters lie constantly about this stuff. once i countered an offer at like 4% higher and the guy was like "aw jeez i've never heard of us doing anything like that, i'll see what i can do i guess, but don't hold your breath..."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

idk i've met some ex-oracle engineers who werent getting paid much

yeah they weren't in the cost generation centers

(legal)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

raminasi posted:

all recruiters lie constantly about this stuff. once i countered an offer at like 4% higher and the guy was like "aw jeez i've never heard of us doing anything like that, i'll see what i can do i guess, but don't hold your breath..."
Do some recruiter get paid per commission or did I hallucinate that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
commission things, the most important thing is dealflow, not the strong commission on each deal. easier and better to get 3 5k-commission deals done than squeeze 1 5k-commision deal to 7k. if this is against the corp's interests peeps will do accelerators and poo poo like that but it's not in this case

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

same and agreed

the service I retired had both mongo AND redis AND mysql in some sort of hosed up data daisychain

we got a big ol bloated java web app using kafka postgres scylla redis and cassandra :shepface: thank god i dont gotta touch that thing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

we got a big ol bloated java web app using kafka postgres scylla redis and cassandra :shepface: thank god i dont gotta touch that thing

wow

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

post hole digger posted:

I'm going to edge in on ellie's territory for a moment to recommend that you fake your death and move to belize

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

post hole digger posted:

i bet the guys that came up with your architecture are big brained geniuses

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
for an internship position at a FAANG i think you're going to have absoluetly zero leverage negotiating an internship salary

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lord fifth posted:

always take the loving money lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why work? for the pay

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

always take the loving money lol

this is for an internship. the money directly coming out of it is completely insignificant compared to the lifetime earning's of one's career, which may be greatly impacted by the work content and company of the internships one chose.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

also wrt to maximizing pay over all else: in the best case you're going to be spending something like 40% of your work week at your job. taking one that has interesting problems, lets you use good tooling, has good coworkers, etc are all things that are probably worth some monetary value for your mental well-being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I thought filthy boy was moving to a real job but regardless even a well paying internship will support your confidence to tell a low-ball offer to suck eggs