Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Qmass posted:

on the search bar on the homescreen, I used to be able to tap the microphone and say poo poo like 'remind me at time thing' and it would do it without having to use assistant or anything that I can't be hosed with.

they just disabled that and now it opens a google search

wtf?

I just moved a shortcut to Assistant right over the microphone on the Google bar. Annoying, but at least it hasn't required a huge shift in my muscle memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Qmass posted:

on my default as gently caress pixel7, with the search bar on the homescreen, I used to be able to tap the microphone and say poo poo like 'remind me at time thing' and it would do it without having to use assistant or anything that I can't be hosed with.

wtf?

I never actually used the microphone button but you realise you were using assistant by doing that right?

A diagonal swipe up from the bottom corners will do the same thing

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, at least on my Pixel 7, the Assistant takes longer to be ready to register speech when I do the diagonal swipe than when I hold the power button.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why press a microphone button when you can just say hey Google?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i assumed google got rid of the diagonal swipe bc it wasn't on by default for me when i switched from the 5 to the 7 and then the 8, but apparently you can turn it back on in settings.

i wound up just getting used to long pressing the power button to invoke the assistant since it's rare i need to restart or turn off my phone anyway.

Alan_Shore posted:

Why press a microphone button when you can just say hey Google?

it might not make intuitive sense to want to invoke it without your voice when you're just going to use your voice to issue a command or search anyway, but for me it's more about a guaranteed tactile startup vs hoping the environment is just right for it to hear me without needing to repeat myself.

if i'm at home and say "hey google" any one of my five google home speakers will likely take precedent over my pixel (which i prefer) and if i'm in my car i just use the steering wheel or the on screen mic since i'n always listening to music. if i'm walking around outside i typically have my pixel buds in so i'll long press the right bud to invoke assistant bc again its a crapshoot as to whether or not just saying "hey google" will compete with outside noise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Qmass posted:

on my default as gently caress pixel7, with the search bar on the homescreen, I used to be able to tap the microphone and say poo poo like 'remind me at time thing' and it would do it without having to use assistant or anything that I can't be hosed with.

wtf?

I have no idea why they made this change but it is driving me crazy. I like to use the button over "hey Google" for several reasons, the main one being that I want some of these set on my phone and not my Google Home.

There's a setting to change "hold the power button" to Google Assistant instead of power controls, which I've changed, but is super dumb. I didn't realize there was a "diagonal swipe" gesture and at least at first glance it doesn't seem to work / be on for me.

Just Google poo poo.

[Edit: turned on the gesture, set back the power button to power controls, all is right in the world.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 16, 2024

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's always been on for me so didn't even realise it was a toggle, but it's in gesture settings

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I just long press my home button cause I don't like gestures

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

My use case was that I always have multiple assistant capable devices near me and the mic button was a convenient way to choose which one responds. The pop up about the change sure failed to mention the corner swipe so that's also a fail. Google gonna goog.
Pixel tablet alarms still can't trigger routines so par for the course.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Stormangel posted:

Pixel tablet alarms still can't trigger routines so par for the course.

this was the biggest reason i upgraded from a nest hub to a nest hub max in my kitchen instead of a pixel tablet. no regrets

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like having a Nest Hub Max in my kitchen ... I wish I could put my ancient OneNote recipe file on it, but it's pretty great as a virtual assistant ... and I do pull up last-minute directions for cooking random vegetables in the pressure cooker and poo poo. It's a good "kitchen speaker" and nice to have the doorbell camera on it when expecting company. And ignoring internet company sales.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just got a Pixel 7a and within minutes realized how I'm so used to swiping down on the fingerprint reader on the back of my Pixel 4a to see my notifications. I didn't even think about how I do that. Let's see how long not being able to do this annoys me...

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Uthor posted:

Just got a Pixel 7a and within minutes realized how I'm so used to swiping down on the fingerprint reader on the back of my Pixel 4a to see my notifications. I didn't even think about how I do that. Let's see how long not being able to do this annoys me...

Haha same with me but I came from a OnePlus 5T. It gets better, hang in there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My android auto navigation now shows 3D buildings on it. That new or did I accidentally turn something on?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I just swipe down from anywhere on screen to see notifications and up from anywhere on screen to open app drawer. Is that a android thing or a Samsung thing? https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/opening-the-notification-panel-by-swiping-anywhere-on-the-screen/

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Resdfru posted:

I just swipe down from anywhere on screen to see notifications and up from anywhere on screen to open app drawer. Is that a android thing or a Samsung thing? https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/opening-the-notification-panel-by-swiping-anywhere-on-the-screen/

That's a homescreen thing, but it's nice to be able to do it from anywhere (even in other apps), without needing to reach your thumb to the top of the phone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Resdfru posted:

Anywhere on the home screen is an Android thing. I'd be impressed if you can swipe down anywhere on any screen to open the notification drawer - how would it differentiate that from scrolling?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yea it's home screen. I just meant not having to reach all the way up top. It's not a default setting on samsung so wasnt sure if it's on (or default) normal android or if the other guy was aware of it

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Resdfru posted:

Yeah, I noticed this while playing around. I'll be using that. I'm just more surprised by how much I am used to swiping down on the back as I never thought about it. It's just second nature.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Using Good Lock, I have it set so swiping in from the sides is the regular back gesture, but sliding diagonally up brings down the notification shade, and diagonal down is forward in stuff like browsers. You can also set it so a double or triple tap on the back of the phone pulls the notification shade down if you want to get closer to how it was when you still had a fingerprint reader on the back of the phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Uthor posted:

You can double tap the back of the phone to bring down the notification shade. Make sure it's enabled in settings.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

BonoMan posted:

My android auto navigation now shows 3D buildings on it. That new or did I accidentally turn something on?

It's new.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but: without root, there's no way to retrieve the app data (from data/data/..) for an app where allowBackup was set to false and the app is not debuggable, right?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You can double tap the back of the phone to bring down the notification shade. Make sure it's enabled in settings.

oh that's cool thanks for the tip! I have to give it a good thwack with this case tho

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

even with the rear fingerprint sensor pixels i had, i never found it fluid or intuitive to interact with the back of the phone to operate things happening on the screen, so i never used the swipe on the rear sensor for the notification shade.

with .5x animations, and my hand/thumb closer to the bottom of the phone by default, i find it really fluid to just swipe up from the bottom in whatever app i'm in to go to the homescreen, then swipe down from the center of the screen to get to the notification shade, access whatever i need to access, or just check and dismiss, then a quick swipe right on the bottom nav bar to get back to my last used app. it's more thumb movements, but my hand itself doesn't need to reposition while holding the phone and do the big reach to the top of the screen or whatever.

also it's very geeky that i typed all of that out to describe how i interact with notifications but it's honestly a huge reason i'm an android fan. i have an ipad, and have tried to use an iphone a few times over the past few years, and needing to swipe down from the very top of the screen for notifications is deal breaker bullshit for me. on top of the fact that you need to do it from the center, specifically, bc if you swipe down on the right you just get your control center instead.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

even with the rear fingerprint sensor pixels i had, i never found it fluid or intuitive to interact with the back of the phone to operate things happening on the screen, so i never used the swipe on the rear sensor for the notification shade.

with .5x animations, and my hand/thumb closer to the bottom of the phone by default, i find it really fluid to just swipe up from the bottom in whatever app i'm in to go to the homescreen, then swipe down from the center of the screen to get to the notification shade, access whatever i need to access, or just check and dismiss, then a quick swipe right on the bottom nav bar to get back to my last used app. it's more thumb movements, but my hand itself doesn't need to reposition while holding the phone and do the big reach to the top of the screen or whatever.

also it's very geeky that i typed all of that out to describe how i interact with notifications but it's honestly a huge reason i'm an android fan. i have an ipad, and have tried to use an iphone a few times over the past few years, and needing to swipe down from the very top of the screen for notifications is deal breaker bullshit for me. on top of the fact that you need to do it from the center, specifically, bc if you swipe down on the right you just get your control center instead.

Son, would it kill you to use capital letters when it's called for? My spergy brain is going to die :argh:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i'm not writing a formal letter with a wax sealed envelope, i'm posting about which way i prefer to access notifications on my nerd phone. formal writing is out. get with it, gramps.

in all seriousness i disabled autocorrect, auto punctuation, and auto capitalization on my phone. i also don't bother when typing on slack to my company or in emails, either. at this point it's more of a conscious choice to capitalize like we're sending formal correspondence instead of the casual chatting of the modern internet.

e: here's an interesting article about the phenomenon, if you're so inclined

https://mashable.com/article/disable-auto-caps-lowercase-texting-online-communication

excerpt:

quote:

The rise of the lowercase stems from the fact that the rules for capitalization don't generally change the meaning of a sentence, says Lauren Fonteyn, a linguistics lecturer at the University of Manchester who studies language on the internet.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 17, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Poor writing is rather like having poor hygiene - you're free to engage in it, but don't complain about being judged for it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Hello I've decided to make reading my posts even worse than just the content.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i still use proper punctuation and sentence structure and all that. but i'm just not bothering holding the shift key every few seconds arbitrarily bc it no longer actually matters.

also i don't mind being judged for it. but you also have to realize that caring about it outs you as an Old. it's like people in the 80s complaining that kids were wearing their gosh darn baseball caps backwards like a bunch of uncouth degenerates. one of the older guys at my job criticized me (half-jokingly) for having my hood up at my desk.

as it pertains to smartphones (to keep somewhat on topic with the thread) autocorrect is defaulted to on, and it's more of a pain in the rear end to work against it when you want to type something that doesn't fit standard language conventions than to have to manually gently caress with it every time. so i turned it off. then i realized that "When everything I typed looked and felt like I was writing a letter to the President of the United States of America" that it didn't match the casual tone of what i was mostly talking about, so i scrapped that, too.

again, none of these conventions actually matter. i think that's part of the point. when language first transitioned to the internet it was Very Important to make sure your poo poo was put together or you would look like a moron and never get a job. when my (older than me by about a decade) C level boss at a previous tech company didn't capitalize her emails or slacks, a light bulb went off and i never looked back :)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'm not writing a formal letter with a wax sealed envelope, i'm posting about which way i prefer to access notifications on my nerd phone. formal writing is out. get with it, gramps.

in all seriousness i disabled autocorrect, auto punctuation, and auto capitalization on my phone. i also don't bother when typing on slack to my company or in emails, either. at this point it's more of a conscious choice to capitalize like we're sending formal correspondence instead of the casual chatting of the modern internet.

e: here's an interesting article about the phenomenon, if you're so inclined

https://mashable.com/article/disable-auto-caps-lowercase-texting-online-communication

excerpt:

You deliberately disabled the automatic stuff? Jesus wept. I'll abandon my derail now.

Phones eh?

I was on the verge of having to send my Pixel 8 in for warranty repair and went back to my Pixel 7 for a while. Long story short, I'm back on my Pixel 8 and it's behaving well now, but going back to the 7 was notably unpleasant. The minor screen size difference, worse fingerprint sensor experience and the performance regression were all a surprising, bitter taste.

I think for the now "normal" size phones, the Pixel 8/Galaxy S24/base iPhone are now the sweet spot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Poor writing is rather like having poor hygiene - you're free to engage in it, but don't complain about being judged for it.

Totally not emptyquoting.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

capital letters are for capitalists

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I guess it was inevitable that we'd stumble back on the only group of people on this dead gay forum who wish the "type properly" rule never went away.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I don't care about the caps, but that inefficient dance to check notifications is something else.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

withoutclass posted:

Hello I've decided to make reading my posts even worse than just the content.

this, but unironically

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
everytime i see a post like this i think to myself wow what a cool poster :cool:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The only place it’s acceptable to type like that is in yospos. Please stay out of yospos.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Capitalizing the first word of the sentence is like an extension of the period. It helps delineate sentences from each other at a glance. It's so regular and predictable that auto-capitalization has existed... forever? Without it, blocks of text begin looking more like walls of text. To deliberately turn it off to appear more hip is... interesting.

That said people who use full punctuation in texting will forever weird me out and probably deserve Punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't think it would be such an issue if said poster didn't make every reply an essay