Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I love me some Kingdom Hearts nonsense, like I'd hope Sora would show up if wouldn't bring Disney into it.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can someone remind me what said Kingdom Hearts nonsense amounted to in Remake? I haven't beaten the game since it came out

I can't remember if they "kill" Sephiroth there and they're gonna be surprised to see him again or if it was weird dream reality poo poo or what

A recap if you want.

Sephiroth is waiting for the party at the end of the Midgar highway before they would have made their way out of the city. He tells Cloud he's Waiting and cuts open a darkness portal and goes through it, everyone goes to follow but Aerith holds them back to say once they go through there is no turning back and then does cetra magic to make the dark portal whiter. I don't know what this achieved. They go through and there is an empty copy Midgar that the Whisper promptly start to rampage through to serve as a sort of ruins floating in the sky arena, and they beat the whispers. The Sephiroth attacks and they have a fight and after that Cloud gets separated from them all and meets Sephiroth again but he actually kinda talks in more then tag lines.

He tells Cloud that they on the edge of creation that all things will eventually return to, and that he (Sephiroth) will not just submit and that he won't let Cloud either, and he asks Cloud to join him in defying destiny. Cloud says no because of course he does and Sephiroth actually seemed kinda bummed but when Cloud comes at him with an Omnislash he perfect parries the whole thing and tells Cloud that "Seven seconds until the end... time enough for you perhaps" and disappears and everyone falls out of the final boss dimension. Then the ending sequence where Zack doesn't die in his last stand while dragging a still catatonic Cloud through the gates of Midgar and now there is a different Stamp on a bag o chips and cue years of fandom speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Don't forget the Sephiroth at the very end who makes the "offer" to Cloud is obviously fundamentally different in some way from the Sephiroth we see at other times, because he refers to himself with a completely different pronoun (in the original Japanese).

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256221924532916228?t=618OERsTDxOdLELUxn4UZA&s=19

My best guess is that it's somehow a Sephiroth minus the Jenova influence.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Don't forget the Sephiroth at the very end who makes the "offer" to Cloud is obviously fundamentally different in some way from the Sephiroth we see at other times, because he refers to himself with a completely different pronoun (in the original Japanese).

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256221924532916228?t=618OERsTDxOdLELUxn4UZA&s=19

My best guess is that it's somehow a Sephiroth minus the Jenova influence.

I said he wasn't talking in taglines anymore, same thing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Caidin posted:

I love me some Kingdom Hearts nonsense, like I'd hope Sora would show up if wouldn't bring Disney into it.

A recap if you want.

Sephiroth is waiting for the party at the end of the Midgar highway before they would have made their way out of the city. He tells Cloud he's Waiting and cuts open a darkness portal and goes through it, everyone goes to follow but Aerith holds them back to say once they go through there is no turning back and then does cetra magic to make the dark portal whiter. I don't know what this achieved. They go through and there is an empty copy Midgar that the Whisper promptly start to rampage through to serve as a sort of ruins floating in the sky arena, and they beat the whispers. The Sephiroth attacks and they have a fight and after that Cloud gets separated from them all and meets Sephiroth again but he actually kinda talks in more then tag lines.

He tells Cloud that they on the edge of creation that all things will eventually return to, and that he (Sephiroth) will not just submit and that he won't let Cloud either, and he asks Cloud to join him in defying destiny. Cloud says no because of course he does and Sephiroth actually seemed kinda bummed but when Cloud comes at him with an Omnislash he perfect parries the whole thing and tells Cloud that "Seven seconds until the end... time enough for you perhaps" and disappears and everyone falls out of the final boss dimension. Then the ending sequence where Zack doesn't die in his last stand while dragging a still catatonic Cloud through the gates of Midgar and now there is a different Stamp on a bag o chips and cue years of fandom speculation.

this is actually more like what I needed, thank you. I wonder if the party remembers flying through a crazyass-looking diorama and fighting Sephiroth

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
According to the Ultimania there's four different Sephiroths in Remake:

- The one in Cloud's visions
- The one in flashbacks
- The "black-robed men" aka Sephiroth copies
- The one you fight at the end

what the gently caress does any of that mean? Who knows. But Sephiroth is the most changed character from the original game, where he doesn't have the fixation on making Cloud hate him like the one(s???) in Remake does. That probably means something.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh did I ever bring up that I think that particular part of the ending might be referencing or taking influence from the various different endings across all of the Devilman adaptations?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I chose to believe that all Sephiroths in Remake are pissed off about losing in Advent Children and went back in time to make sure that they win this time and also to inform Cloud that they are extremely Not Mad about losing three times to a Shinra mallcop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

I chose to believe that all Sephiroths in Remake are pissed off about losing in Advent Children and went back in time to make sure that they win this time and also to inform Cloud that they are extremely Not Mad about losing three times to a Shinra mallcop.

He was willing to let it go, but then someone did actually put in the paper that he got mad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

According to the Ultimania there's four different Sephiroths in Remake:

- The one in Cloud's visions
- The one in flashbacks
- The "black-robed men" aka Sephiroth copies
- The one you fight at the end

what the gently caress does any of that mean? Who knows. But Sephiroth is the most changed character from the original game, where he doesn't have the fixation on making Cloud hate him like the one(s???) in Remake does. That probably means something.

Since most of these guys aren't actually Sephiroth that's only really two different Sephiroths (flashbackiroth and final boss roth)

E: And what this means is that they is classic ff7 sephiroth doing classic ff7 things but also a sephiroth all about rewriting that history probably because he wants to kiss Cloud or something.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

How many times is Rebirth going to go over the Nibelheim incident? I forgot when the payoff for that happens in the original game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azubah posted:

How many times is Rebirth going to go over the Nibelheim incident? I forgot when the payoff for that happens in the original game.

The original game does it 3 times, Cloud's version in Kalm, the Zack reveal at the Northern Crater, and the True Version at Mideel/in the Lifestream. Both the second and third versions take place beyond where Rebirth as stated to end, but given how Zack's alive in a timeline somewhere, that shoe might drop faster this time around. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Since most of these guys aren't actually Sephiroth that's only really two different Sephiroths (flashbackiroth and final boss roth)

E: And what this means is that they is classic ff7 sephiroth doing classic ff7 things but also a sephiroth all about rewriting that history probably because he wants to kiss Cloud or something.

This is starting to sound all Xehanort-y

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I assume he wants to rewrite history because he loses in the original timeline. That’s why he tells Cloud at the beginning of Remake to run away

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

D.Fuzzbot posted:

This is starting to sound all Xehanort-y

All the different Xehanorts are different people and whatnot but the Sephiroths are still just Sephiroth.

Completely different!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

RatHat posted:

I assume he wants to rewrite history because he loses in the original timeline. That’s why he tells Cloud at the beginning of Remake to run away

Wasn't that Sephiroth being a real petty rear end in a top hat by quoting someone?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the different Xehanorts are different people and whatnot but the Sephiroths are still just Sephiroth.

Completely different!

Well that’s not entirely true…. You had Master Xehanort, Young Xehanort and Xemnas

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then Ansem, not to be confused with Ansem who was someone else or Riku calling himself Ansem

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Are there more Sephiroths or are there more Xehanorts?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

RatHat posted:

That’s why he tells Cloud at the beginning of Remake to run away

He's quoting the last words Cloud heard from his mom as Nibelheim burned specifically to get Cloud's hate juices flowing. He wants/needs Cloud to be active in whatever it is he's trying to do.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Shoehead posted:

Are there more Sephiroths or are there more Xehanorts?

Well if Sephiroth is controlling Jenova I guess that means all the black robed guys have been norted rothed so I guess there's 49 Sephiroths. So yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azubah posted:

Wasn't that Sephiroth being a real petty rear end in a top hat by quoting someone?

Yeah, as of the Rebirth demo we now know he was quoting Cloud's mother's apparent last words

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

nine-gear crow posted:

The original game does it 3 times, Cloud's version in Kalm, the Zack reveal at the Northern Crater, and the True Version at Mideel/in the Lifestream. Both the second and third versions take place beyond where Rebirth as stated to end, but given how Zack's alive in a timeline somewhere, that shoe might drop faster this time around. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

I know that they said the game is going to end at the Forgotten City or whatever but it would be really weird to end there and then start game 3 at the mountain/Northern Crater. Idk why but that seems like a weird idea to me. Then again I suppose that is the beginning of disc 2 in the original. Disc 1 got 2 games plus Intergrade and Disc 2 is only getting one (so far)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Just played the demo and holy gently caress it's good! It built legit hype for a game I was already planning to buy. I wonder about cutting it where they did and if the end of the flashback will be different.

I also think Zack is an extension of cloud Cloud's delusions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I know that they said the game is going to end at the Forgotten City or whatever but it would be really weird to end there and then start game 3 at the mountain/Northern Crater. Idk why but that seems like a weird idea to me. Then again I suppose that is the beginning of disc 2 in the original. Disc 1 got 2 games plus Intergrade and Disc 2 is only getting one (so far)

I think a big part of that is that Disc 2 is genuinely notably shorter, to the point they're moving stuff like Wutai to the next game to help flesh it out.

Disc 2 in the original game is flat-out "Icicle Inn -> Northern Crater -> Junon Escape -> Huge Materia Collection -> Midgar revisited -> Endgame" with a short stop off for Cloud's brain problems and figuring out that Aerith summoned the materia. Almost all of that is revisiting old locations and is relatively short.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's very possible that (making poo poo up here) the game "ends" with Aerith dying or whatever and then there's like a few hours of Zackworld. Technically speaking the progress of the normal FF7 game as we know it will still have stopped there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

triple sulk posted:

It's very possible that (making poo poo up here) the game "ends" with Aerith dying or whatever and then there's like a few hours of Zackworld. Technically speaking the progress of the normal FF7 game as we know it will still have stopped there.

Cloud's portion of the game ends with Aerith look up at him and smiling, hard cut to Zack in Midgar which is the second half of the game.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

triple sulk posted:

can't remember who, but someone earlier in the thread speculated something similar off of the trailer and the scene with aerith/zack

certainly seems possible but i'm not sure i love the idea. "the same thing happens but now you find out there's another dimension for (non-whisper) ghosts" doesn't really feel like solid payoff for "rebirth has a surprising ending that may be controversial" or whatever has been going on with aerith/sephiroth's awareness and the whole zack thing so far through remake

e: ok thinking about it more, something winding up with a second party made up of dead characters would be very fun and would pretty easily lead into another DLC episode before game 3

stuker fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 18, 2024

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I could see the Northern Crater not being visited until the very end of Game 3. I suspect that some of the events of the Northern Crater can be rewritten to take place at the Forgotten Capital in this game like Cloud losing his mind and handing the black materia to Sephiroth, making it a more appropriate place to end Rebirth. Then we start Game 3 elsewhere and then pretty much everything in the Northern Crater is visited near the end of the game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god its been like 20 years since i played FF7, i almost want to replay it before diving into part 2 but also i dont have that much time

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

queeb posted:

god its been like 20 years since i played FF7, i almost want to replay it before diving into part 2 but also i dont have that much time

I did that, and just finished Rebirth + Intergrade again too. I am AMPED for more FFVII.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i just started up a casual OG playthrough earlier today because i figure what i'll get through will be a nice recap for the "original" first half of rebirth

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I forget, did the OG force you to always have Cloud in the party(besides specific story segments)?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yes, yes it did.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I really wish more JRPGs would let me kick out the MC for battles when each character feels so unique in playstyle or build

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you have any streamers you tolerate it’s not a bad option to watch them play the OG, you can skip some of the slower parts or battles to save up on time.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Considering there's cheats for invincibility, no battles and speed up you could very quickly play through with just the scenes

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ff7 is an extremely easy game and you can get through most of it by mashing the attack command and occasionally healing

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Considering there's cheats for invincibility, no battles and speed up you could very quickly play through with just the scenes

It's this on the PC version? I just may do that

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

queeb posted:

It's this on the PC version? I just may do that

Okay innately on PC no, you'd have to install 7th Heaven mod manager which has shortcuts for speedup, no battles and even skip fmv.

Also install the 60/30 FPS mods and set it to 30FPS if you want Tifa's reels to be usable.

If you want invincibility just install the "Gameplay Tweaks" mod and it has invincibility in there.

D.Fuzzbot fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Okay innately on PC no, you'd have to install 7th Heaven mod manager which has shortcuts for speedup, no battles and even skip fmv.

Also install the 60/30 FPS mods and set it to 30FPS if you want Tifa's reels to be usable.

If you want invincibility just install the "Gameplay Tweaks" mod and it has invincibility in there.

hell yeah im all modded up and blasting through now.