Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

If you notice, the timeshare guy almost always subtly gestures to an opt-out document. The fool just can't help it. All you gotta do then is pay a couple grand, you're released.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNKmwAhF_8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Because, you whiny useless gently caress, I click "next" on imgur and whenever something schad comes up, I post it.

Ohhhhh someone got got

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
e: actually upon reading the article, it seems like it's more of a "I know better and still fell for this obvious scam, because even people that know better can get sucked in" tone, which isn't really how people are acting. I thought it was going to be "I'm really smart, so this scam must have been really smart to get me so here's what happened" type of thing.

Glottis has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Feb 17, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think the actual subtexts is that the even the brightest of the upper class of our society is largely barely functional with poo poo for brains philosophy zombies.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the actual subtexts is that the even the brightest of the upper class of our society is largely barely functional with poo poo for brains philosophy zombies.
We've known the rich are dumbasses for years, this isn't new information

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Glottis posted:

e: actually upon reading the article, it seems like it's more of a "I know better and still fell for this obvious scam, because even people that know better can get sucked in" tone, which isn't really how people are acting. I thought it was going to be "I'm really smart, so this scam must have been really smart to get me so here's what happened" type of thing.

https://twitter.com/leylaaa31/status/1758324417434648936

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We've known the rich are dumbasses for years, this isn't new information

Yes but one of them writing a lengthy article about how dumb they personally are is somewhat a novelty.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mega Comrade posted:

She's a racist. And seeing as shes now going by Nkechi, a traditional Nigerian name, she's still doing her racist bullshit.

Yikes. Stop being transphobic. That’s gross.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Glottis posted:

FreudianSlippers posted:

It can be both things. I felt a little bad for her because they did essentially threaten and harass her into a state of panic and terror. That was probably a very real feeling that could make irrational thoughts seem logical. However, considering her profession, background, and all of the giant red flags along the way; the pity runs out pretty quick. She basically paid $50k for a lesson in fraud and however many clicks and shares that article got.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ommin posted:

She basically paid $50k for a lesson in fraud and however many clicks and shares that article got.

I would happily teach this class for less than $50k.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Atticus_1354 posted:

I would happily teach this class for less than $50k.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://i.imgur.com/vMoPUpL.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/2P0CiFL.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Don't throw stones at someone with a nuke

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Why do we believe the scam actually happened vs someone just making up a story for an article?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

https://imgur.com/KFOKMNa.mp4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Man gently caress that driver so hard. I hope she had the presence to shove it up the exhaust pipe before it made it all the way into the carwash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I had put fifty thousand dollars into a shoebox and thrown it out a window to a “CIA officer”, you wouldn’t be able to waterboard that story out of me.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Good for her :colbert:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Foxfire_ posted:

Why do we believe the scam actually happened vs someone just making up a story for an article?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Foxfire_ posted:

I think the main reason people believe it is that, hard as it is to believe that someone would be stupid enough to fall for such an obvious scam and then write about how dumb they were, it seems even less likely that someone would make up a story in which they were a complete moron and then present it as true to an international audience.

But on the other hand, the point that many people have raised about the difficulty of getting $50,000 in cash from a bank without notice or explanation does seem to suggest that she probably did make up a story to make herself look like a colossal idiot for some reason.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

Who's this "we"?
jk jk, its because we admire the sheer depravity of the art.
like sure, 99% of the stuff we see could be fake af, but there's always going to be a percentage within that that you just dgaf because its amazing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to admit, Don being handed a $350 million+ fine and a three year ban is pretty schadenfreude.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/humintelpro/status/1758592630017900769

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hear hear mr__piss

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Foxfire_ posted:

I'm way too smart to be scammed, so the article must be true, that's why. Also my socioeconomic status or something.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Do you really think somebody would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?!?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Man gently caress that driver so hard. I hope she had the presence to shove it up the exhaust pipe before it made it all the way into the carwash.

The driver was being very stupid and not thinking about where they were and that there were people around, but it looks like they tossed their cup into the blind spot and didn't realize someone was there. In a car that makes them an rear end in a top hat, they should be aware of their surroundings. They deserved the return spray. But at least maybe they weren't being malicious and abusing a service worker on purpose.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's pretty dumdum to go into a carwash with open windows in any case.

At least I don't think that she was much affected, wearing rain clothes and a mask. Good reaction anyhow.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I dunno, it almost seems worse to do it without even thinking about it than it does to have done it deliberately. At least there might have been a reason if they were tossing it at someone with purpose.

Plenty of stupid regardless, of course.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/02/air-canada-must-honor-refund-policy-invented-by-airlines-chatbot/

Only cost them a few grand in the end, but I laughed

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The driver was being very stupid and not thinking about where they were and that there were people around, but it looks like they tossed their cup into the blind spot and didn't realize someone was there. In a car that makes them an rear end in a top hat, they should be aware of their surroundings. They deserved the return spray. But at least maybe they weren't being malicious and abusing a service worker on purpose.

There's a longer version of the video of the girl starting to spray down the car without noticing that the window was open and drenching the driver.

Still pretty dumb to go rolling into a carwash with an open window.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

After months of resisting, Air Canada was forced to give a partial refund to a grieving passenger who was misled by an airline chatbot inaccurately explaining the airline's bereavement travel policy.

It’s not inaccurate if the bot has the power to set policy, and it did.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

There's a longer version of the video of the girl starting to spray down the car without noticing that the window was open and drenching the driver.

Still pretty dumb to go rolling into a carwash with an open window.

That does not seem to be what happened at all. She had just started the checks and the initial wash and the customer rolls down the window and throws lemonade at her. It's possible her window wasn't 100% closed but it's not clear why the customer did that. I can't find any longer video so if you have one please share it.

The customer and her boyfriend got banned from the car wash, so a good result in the end.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Feb 17, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

but in this case seems like the chatbot is more empathetic than mgmt

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dillbag posted:

Sex work IS work and sex workers are people too, comrades.

That’s an important takeaway. The second is that teachers are so paid poo poo they supplement their income with OF, which is a suboptimal arrangement. Third is lol gently caress her and her cultural appropriating rear end

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Aramoro posted:

That does not seem to be what happened at all. She had just started the checks and the initial wash and the customer rolls down the window and throws lemonade at her. It's possible her window wasn't 100% closed but it's not clear why the customer did that. I can't find any longer video so if you have one please share it.

The customer and her boyfriend got banned from the car wash, so a good result in the end.

https://x.com/UncleMikeAllen/status/1757897221884748015?s=20

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Looks like it was up, they rolled it down to splash her, then got rekt. Hard to see details from a phone screen though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

What do you think that video shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That's exactly the same video cropped differenty? Does your longer video go to a different school or something?

You see her spray the window, then you see the driver roll the window down. The window was closed when she washed it so I'm not sure why you have a completely different reading on the situation than everyone else in the world.

Again if you have the longer video that shows what you said then I'd love to see it.