Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My Lovely Horse posted:

Then again there are people like Nicolas Winding Refn these days who lights scenes as if he's got a deep seated personal vendetta with the idea of realism.

Eh, it's a stylistic choice. The Neon Demon and Only God Forgives have lighting that definitely give the film a distinct look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Non-diegetic lighting is the Best

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Non-diegetic lighting is the Best

That reminds me of this anecdote from the filming of one of the LOTR movies

quote:

An example of [DOP Andrew Lesnie]'s sense of humor comes in an anecdote told by "Lord of the Rings" star Sean Astin, on a set with light where there was no source for it. "Where is the light coming from?" Astin asked. Lesnie replied, "Same place as the music."

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What is acting if not talking while standing in the precise pose necessary to have a streak of light perfectly illuminate your eyes?

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Wild Bunch
The titular Bunch blow up a bridge in order to stop their pursuers.
Pike, the leader, stops to taunt the ones trying to cross right as the charges go off.
Rather than doing the Cool Guy thing of not looking at an explosion, he actually flinches when it happens.
The movie obviously predates that cliché (right?), but I'm so used to it that it made me appreciate this already excellent scene even more.

Edit: It might have just been on account of his horse being startled, to be fair.

Bk. has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Feb 3, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ynohtna posted:

What is acting if not talking while standing in the precise pose necessary to have a streak of light perfectly illuminate your eyes?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It was pretty much necessary in film noir. There was so much goddamned noir all over the screen you couldn't tell where the actor was looking unless they shone a light right in their eyes

Just buckets of noir everywhere

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Favorite subtle movie moment. Noir means black in French.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah and no one in the golden age of Film Noir was actually trying to make "noir" as that term wasn't invented until years later by some French movie critics who went "Hey a lot of these American post-war crime films have very similar stylistic elements."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was pretty much necessary in film noir. There was so much goddamned noir all over the screen you couldn't tell where the actor was looking unless they shone a light right in their eyes

Just buckets of noir everywhere

theres a bunch of shots in addams family 1 and 2 where morticia moves onto her mark and then the slit lighting carefully maneuvers onto her face lol

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about NWH and the villains is everyone just accepts these guys exist. It's like "oh this guy somehow grafted hosed up ai tentacles to his spine" and it's no big deal. The lizard isn't even a blip on the radar when there's a guy who turns into a giant green rage monster if he stubs his toe bad. Goblin is basically what happens when a super soldier serum goes way wrong. Electric guy? gently caress, why not?

The only one that should rate a double take and a "the gently caress?" reaction is the guy who's made of sentient sand, and as completely weird and hosed up as that it, it's just like "Huh. That's neat."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My favorite thing about NWH and the villains is everyone just accepts these guys exist. It's like "oh this guy somehow grafted hosed up ai tentacles to his spine" and it's no big deal. The lizard isn't even a blip on the radar when there's a guy who turns into a giant green rage monster if he stubs his toe bad. Goblin is basically what happens when a super soldier serum goes way wrong. Electric guy? gently caress, why not?

The only one that should rate a double take and a "the gently caress?" reaction is the guy who's made of sentient sand, and as completely weird and hosed up as that it, it's just like "Huh. That's neat."

They did make jokes about Electro's origin that I feel are more at the expense of the original film way overdoing it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was also a weird autistic guy in ASM2 but a typical Jamie Foxx character in NWH.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ASM2 has a lot of problems but Foxx's character being a dork is not one of them. It's the closest we've come to that classic Burton style comic movie in awhile and the movie is better for it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

NWH bothers me in that Jamie Foxxs acting seems so bad in it. I know he can act really good (I’ve seen Booty Call) but there scenes where people are talking and I’m like “hell yeah” and then he has a line and I’m “ugh no” and I don’t like it.

Again I HAVE seen Booty Call

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spiderman on film peaked with Spiderman 2.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

oldpainless posted:

NWH bothers me in that Jamie Foxxs acting seems so bad in it. I know he can act really good (I’ve seen Booty Call) but there scenes where people are talking and I’m like “hell yeah” and then he has a line and I’m “ugh no” and I don’t like it.

Again I HAVE seen Booty Call

Paint mixing

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

FreudianSlippers posted:

film peaked with Spiderman 2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Spiderman on film peaked with Spiderman 2.

Undeniable

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

scary ghost dog posted:

theres a bunch of shots in addams family 1 and 2 where morticia moves onto her mark and then the slit lighting carefully maneuvers onto her face lol

She's a femme fatale (married to a guy who can't be fatale'd but who constantly gets off on it), of course she's gotta be lit that way. :v:

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Galaxy Quest
Somehow I'd never noticed before that Guy is wearing a generic jumpsuit with some small alterations he presumably made himself, rather than a screen-accurate uniform like everybody else.

Also, when the Commander is first showing the crew all the neat alien crap, Tim Allen perfectly conveys the giddy smugness of a guy who has done a thing exactly once and now thinks of himself as in-the-know.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never really noticed it before but read an article about how in The Departed every character that winds up getting killed has very prominent "X" marks in many of their scenes. Linking so I don't spoil it I guess

https://the-departed.fandom.com/wiki/X_marks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BiggerBoat posted:

I never really noticed it before but read an article about how in The Departed every character that winds up getting killed has very prominent "X" marks in many of their scenes. Linking so I don't spoil it I guess

https://the-departed.fandom.com/wiki/X_marks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn9AYyjS_Es

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wonder if any of you movie people will know what this is about. Someone sent me a screenshot saying this came up when they searched Coneheads. I warn you, this is incredibly bizarre but not funny for anyone outside a 4chan moron

Content warning: racial slur, homophobia

Does anyone have ANY conception why the internet would say this to someone??

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not sure why it used a Coneheads image, but that’s an actual movie. The rest of the info there seems accurate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Yeah that was a movie these forums introduced me to in the 00s for sure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

God I love that movie.
E: coneheads

oldpainless has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Feb 10, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

freeedr posted:

Content warning: racial slur, homophobia

Does anyone have ANY conception why the internet would say this to someone??

it was a movie made by this kinda weird guy from denmark called "master fatman". its a weird plan 9 type scifi movie about some aliens who turn humans gay so we stop making war. and then its offensive on top. theres nothing good about it, but fwiw i dont think it was intentionally malicious at the time. not that it makes up for anything, but thats the context. you can find it if you google the title, iirc its mostly 1950s style peopel talking on phones being shocked that humanity is becoming so gay

then later, it got popular on slashdot cause of edgy cs students i think, and a group of trolls (very proto) called themselves the GNAA, and that was a whole thing for a while

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Feb 10, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Carthag Tuek posted:

called themselves the GNAA, and that was a whole thing for a while

I had forgotten about those assholes. Thank you so much for reminding me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mllaneza posted:

I had forgotten about those assholes. Thank you so much for reminding me.

i can tell you mean it cause of the italics

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

oldpainless posted:

God I love that movie.

lmao

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

God I love that movie.

more like oldgayless

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Carthag Tuek posted:

you can find it if you google the title, iirc its mostly 1950s style peopel talking on phones being shocked that humanity is becoming so gay

You can really tell good style parody of mid-century SF B-movies by how much time is taken up by footage of people on the phone, having lengthy expository conversations in generic office and laboratory sets, driving cars, and parking cars

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun one I just realized for Tenet is how the movie opens with the protagonist choosing to take a suicide pill to complete the mission and ends with Neil choosing to go to his death to complete the mission.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Fountain: the sap from the tree of life looks so much like the wood glue we had in shop class and ive been wanting to drink that poo poo for 30 years. i think its time we try it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Go for it buddy, it stops MRSA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4441155/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont think thats what was in the plastic bottles in shop class

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is my summary of the abstract, no ai involved: its antibiotic, everything small dies if they touch it, but humans are generally too large to be affected

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It also looks like cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

It also looks like cum

!!