Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So these old games ported by Beef run well enough on Quest standalone that it’s not worth bothering with streaming from the PC? The Jedi Academy port looks really fun but I haven’t gotten around to it (fell down the Skyrim mod rabbit hole).

For all its jank Skyrim is a ton of fun now that I can play it comfortably. Shame we are unlikely to get anything comparable developed for VR properly with the state of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Outer Wilds is on the cards once I can deal with more movement in VR, still easing into it with more gentle teleport options for now. I’ve been ready for a replay for years though and VR would be an amazing way to do it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Son of Rodney posted:

Fs 2020 is fully vr and so are all its updates, I've already been flying around in a halo pelican or the wright plane.

E: you can use any plane anywhere in the world too, here's me dropping the ornithopter over Berlin

Is there a guide anywhere to get this setup with airlink on the quest 3? How do you play it? With a gamepad?

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Toast King posted:

It’s old news for everyone here by now, but these first few experiences with human sized enemies in games really convince my brain to panic in impressive ways.

My main experience is with Alyx so far, but even a human-scale Superhot guy in your face is intense right now. I’m glad to have Walkabout Minigolf to unwind in at least.

try Thrill Of The Fight

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

Man I just got a Quest 2 for cheap from a coworker and I know it's old tech at this point but it's still kind of blowing my mind. Got Virtual Desktop set up too -- what are the killer apps? More interested in seated stuff than roomscale but I'm open to that stuff if it's really good. Obviously Alyx is on my list. Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades looks cool too.

The killer apps? I'd say
Demeo
We are One
Red Matter 2
The Room VR: A Dark Matter
Virtual Virtual Reality
Resident Evil 4
Blaston
InDeath Unchained
Assassins Creed Nexus
Asgards Wrath 2
Beat Saber
Pistol Whip
Eleven Table Tennis
Ultrawings 2
Walkabout Mini Golf
Moss Book 2

You have my referral links here
https://pastebin.com/G9iHQzZ3

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHu_QgUEp4
Blacktop will release the 1.0 version soonish.

Another shooter, I don't know what's the differentiating point with respect the competition. Well, apart of being white dolls or black dolls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkpgkCnEz_4

Lucy Liu project will come next month
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlT7173b9o0

Like the creepy Madison VR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un9HSNW8zcQ

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Man I just got a Quest 2 for cheap from a coworker and I know it's old tech at this point but it's still kind of blowing my mind. Got Virtual Desktop set up too -- what are the killer apps? More interested in seated stuff than roomscale but I'm open to that stuff if it's really good. Obviously Alyx is on my list. Hot Dogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades looks cool too.
In addition to what others have said, the I Expect You To Die series is great, and is designed to be played seated.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kwolok posted:

Is there a guide anywhere to get this setup with airlink on the quest 3? How do you play it? With a gamepad?

Oof, setting up FS2020 with VR is definitly a rabbit hole since it's a very CPU and GPU intensive game and in VR doubly so, so there's a lot of tweaking. The very, very basic way to play is to simply connect airlink to your PC, start FS and go to settings -> VR - > enable VR mode. It should then switch to VR and depending on your settings, hopefully run at a playable framerate. Then there's a few more or less simple addons you should get to increase the performance by 50%, one being OculusTrayTool, and one being openXRToolkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqX7de5TLA Guide for first one here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duB_JLoHsGA More in depth guide on settings

I have a 5800x3d and a 3070 and was able to play it at a decent resolution with decent settings and an enjoyable level of quality at roughly 40 FPS.

And yeah I use a controller, 8bitdo pro 2, it immediately loads with a very good mapping config and is very easy to play. Purely arcade mode tho, no serious simming, basically just throttle/flaps/landing gear and then controlling.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I have an Index so PC VR only, but my favorite games so far have been:

Beat Saber (modded)
Into the Radius (I absolutely love this game and can't wait for the sequel)
Star Wars Squadrons (some parts of the game has issues but flying these things in VR is like a childhood dream come true)
Elite Dangerous
Skyrim (properly modded, unmodded is a garbage port but mods make it amazing)
Ghosts of Tabor (being in VR somehow makes the extraction shooter feel more intense)
The Light Brigade
H3VR
Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners (almost didn't make list, but I did enjoy it for a while)

Also consider downloading 'The Lab' because it's fun and free on Steam.

e: Also Google Earth VR is free and just incredible even if the controls are annoying.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Cojawfee posted:

Is the Quest 3 an upgrade visual wise from the index? I really only use VR for flight sims anymore, and I'd like a bit more fidelity in the gauges, and the Quest 3 seems to have more resolution than the Index does. Does that translate to more fidelity, or is it just for more FOV or something?

Pretty big visual upgrade at that.. like even with my glasses off in Q3 it looks better than Index with them on (I mostly sim). Fov a bit smaller and colors don't looks as vibrant but Index still gets its rear end kicked. Then there's wireless. And passthrough.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cojawfee posted:

Is the Quest 3 an upgrade visual wise from the index? I really only use VR for flight sims anymore, and I'd like a bit more fidelity in the gauges, and the Quest 3 seems to have more resolution than the Index does. Does that translate to more fidelity, or is it just for more FOV or something?

PPD is what you’re asking about here, and the Q3 is like triple that of the Index.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Son of Rodney posted:

Oof, setting up FS2020 with VR is definitly a rabbit hole since it's a very CPU and GPU intensive game and in VR doubly so, so there's a lot of tweaking. The very, very basic way to play is to simply connect airlink to your PC, start FS and go to settings -> VR - > enable VR mode. It should then switch to VR and depending on your settings, hopefully run at a playable framerate. Then there's a few more or less simple addons you should get to increase the performance by 50%, one being OculusTrayTool, and one being openXRToolkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqX7de5TLA Guide for first one here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duB_JLoHsGA More in depth guide on settings

I have a 5800x3d and a 3070 and was able to play it at a decent resolution with decent settings and an enjoyable level of quality at roughly 40 FPS.

And yeah I use a controller, 8bitdo pro 2, it immediately loads with a very good mapping config and is very easy to play. Purely arcade mode tho, no serious simming, basically just throttle/flaps/landing gear and then controlling.

Ah cool thanks. It's a shame you can't virtually interact with the cock pits.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kwolok posted:

For that, you’ll want DCS.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
here's a tip: in Unplugged, a disposable nicotine vaporizer is the perfect shape and size of a guitar neck

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got MSFS2020 to run smoothly in VR with a GTX3070 by using Virtual Desktops VDXR codec, and getting a Wifi 6e router to use with my Quest 3. You'll never want to play it non VR again.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
is there a way to use virtual desktop's runtime for steam games without launching steam vr? their runtime is better than steam's imo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Kwolok posted:

Ah, misunderstood your question, you totally can, a majority of buttons are mapped and you can even use the vr set controllers as in game joystick if you want to.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Son of Rodney posted:

Ah, misunderstood your question, you totally can, a majority of buttons are mapped and you can even use the vr set controllers as in game joystick if you want to.

Isn't MSFS about to have a new edition or something come out? I kinda remember reading that people were upset about it. Is it worthwhile to just wait for that isntead of getting the one that is out now?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Isn't MSFS about to have a new edition or something come out? I kinda remember reading that people were upset about it. Is it worthwhile to just wait for that isntead of getting the one that is out now?

It's on Gamepass too, def worth a month sub to check it out if it seems like something you'd enjoy.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Is there anyway to sell the Asgard's Wrath 2 game and 6 month meta quest+ trial that came with Meta Quest 3?

I received the email with a link to activate, could I provide it to a different user to claim?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

lol internet. posted:

Is there anyway to sell the Asgard's Wrath 2 game and 6 month meta quest+ trial that came with Meta Quest 3?

I received the email with a link to activate, could I provide it to a different user to claim?

You need a Quest 3 to claim it so basically everyone already has it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHu_QgUEp4
Blacktop will release the 1.0 version soonish.

How does dunking work in VR lol, I am trying to imagine how you simulate getting that air off a jump without it completely wrecking my vestibular system

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sure the game will rely on good fundamentals, that's more fun to play.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A friend loaned me an Index so I played Alyx and loved it. It kind of reminds me of Jurassic Park: Trespasser, a very bad game that sort of presaged an immersive FPS with realistic physics and no UI. I guess Alyx doesn't shout how many rounds are left in the gun and then throw it away when it's empty, but you do have to spend a lot of time loving around with gun functions during combat and it's charmingly frustrating. I tried the different types of movement when starting the game but I think the default teleport is definitely the easiest to get used to.

Anything else I should especially try for the Index while I still have it?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

A friend loaned me an Index so I played Alyx and loved it. It kind of reminds me of Jurassic Park: Trespasser, a very bad game that sort of presaged an immersive FPS with realistic physics and no UI. I guess Alyx doesn't shout how many rounds are left in the gun and then throw it away when it's empty, but you do have to spend a lot of time loving around with gun functions during combat and it's charmingly frustrating. I tried the different types of movement when starting the game but I think the default teleport is definitely the easiest to get used to.

Anything else I should especially try for the Index while I still have it?

‘The Lab’ is free and fun. Google Earth VR too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I played Trespasser as a little kid with very very little understanding of FPS games (parents were pretty protective about them, but were like "it's Jurassic Park, if it's shooting dinosaurs it's fine" and I imagine didn't realize that you looked down at a tattoo on your cleavage to determine your HP) and assumed they all played like that lol

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Welp, guess I'm watching Research Indicates's LP again.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The bobo s3 seems about the best strap you can buy for the quest 3 if you like halo straps. I’m not sure if I’d buy it if I already had an m3 (and couldn’t return it) but it does have some improvements and feels like a more solid product. Its hinges are less floppy so it retains the shape when you take it off. It has more adjustment range on the front arms and the top arms are now adjustable or removable. All the cushions are better.

The real gain is the absurd battery. I didn’t expect to be playing such long sessions on the q3 so I thought the battery wouldn’t be an issue, but I was running down both the stock battery and the m3. The s3 battery is only a little bigger physically and doesn’t feel much heavier, but it’s near double the capacity so that isn’t an issue anymore.

When I ordered they said they were back ordered to mid Feb but it shipped in a couple days and arrived in about two weeks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trying No Man's Sky during the free weekend and the VR is very impressive but also I'm guessing based on what I've played so far that it is one of those games that involves a lot of picking up rocks and dust to turn them into slightly better rocks and dust to build machines to process rocks and dust faster?

I got into space which was cool but it seems like all there is to do there is to fly directly to another planet to collect more rocks and dust? Also it looks like there is no way to stop other people being in your game, which is disappointing but not really a surprise.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Trying No Man's Sky during the free weekend and the VR is very impressive but also I'm guessing based on what I've played so far that it is one of those games that involves a lot of picking up rocks and dust to turn them into slightly better rocks and dust to build machines to process rocks and dust faster?

I haven’t played recently but there used to be an option under network settings to stop other people joining, maybe one to limit it to just friends as well.

Collecting and processing resources is basically the entire game loop though, unless you play on creative mode and like walking and flying around proc-gen planets without needing resources. Your enjoyment really depends on how much one or both of those aspects appeals to you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When I loaded it up it only seemed to offer two options, one to make anybody be able to join and one for friends only. I'll play a little further since it's free for another day and I might as well see as much of it as I can, but while it looks very cool to be inside of the game in VR I don't think it's the kind of game I'd want to actually buy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I haven't played NMS in a few years, but the survival aspect never gets particularly interesting. It's really more of a space tourism game where you wander and check out the sights of the pretty proc planets. Maybe build a little base on one you are most fond of. That can be fun for a bit. You can hunt for the best spaceships and upgrade them, but the space combat isn't interesting so it felt pointless.

Shame there's not much game in their pretty space engine. Also, I really got sick of the hold button to do everything in the UI (on flat at least I never played VR).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s a creative mode where you get unlimited resources as long as you go through the motions of developing the technology, and it’s basically for being a space architect

Build either the coolest or silliest base you can imagine

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not only you can watch anime in VR, now you can also watch VR in anime...

I wonder if Meta paid for it lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Not only you can watch anime in VR, now you can also watch VR in anime...

I wonder if Meta paid for it lol

Anime gets a LOT of corporate sponsorship, so quite possibly considering typically they'll make it a VERY obvious knockoff in some respect when it comes to videogame consoles and controllers (Right controller, but different button layouts, that sort of thing).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
NMS is absolutely my level of flight/space sim. Which is to say: more arcade-style than sim style, and very, very scenic & pretty & varied.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 18, 2024

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Playing Outer Wilds in 2D gave me an existential crisis, I can't imagine doing it in VR

No Man's Sky gave me one of my first wow moments in VR, the first jump gate I went through landed me in an asteroid belt with the sun diffusing through and it was spectacular

For starters VR games SuperHot is very good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo I'm so bad at Racket Club. I needed several attempts to beat the first match in the career mode (which i guess is the easiest one).

Alctel posted:

Playing Outer Wilds in 2D gave me an existential crisis, I can't imagine doing it in VR

I still have pending play the expansion, and I've been delaying it because I wanted to do it in VR.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I got into space which was cool but it seems like all there is to do there is to fly directly to another planet to collect more rocks and dust? Also it looks like there is no way to stop other people being in your game, which is disappointing but not really a surprise.

It's one of those games that takes some time to reveal all it has to offer. You start out running around mining rocks, but later you're building a handful of automated mining factories, collecting different ships that serve different purposes, managing settlements, and expeditions, looking for underwater crash sites in a submarine, building different styles of homes, attacking enemy bases with a big battle mech helping you. Driving different types of ground vehicles on planets with thunderstorms, tornados, or erupting volcanos. I built a glass domed base on the ocean floor, and its like an acquarium with all kinds of sea creatures swimming around.

I played and enjoyed it a lot more in VR (200+ hours) than when I first played it flatscreen. It doesn't just improve immersion and make everything look bigger and more impressive, but aiming your mining laser and weapons is faster and more accurate, since you're using your hand in a lifelike scaled environment, inside of a thumbstick on a monitor or TV. You can use your shield at the same time as your gun which you can't do with your gamepad.

It will take at least 20-30 hours to get to most of that content. And you take a hit to the graphics quality playing in VR, and motion controls for piloting the ships is kind of wonky, but it's usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I am very annoyed that I beat Half Life Alyx without noticing the alien grenades. I mean I saw them and even tried to get them but I gave up when it seemed like I couldn’t. Now I’m watching a let’s play with hundreds of spare pistol ammo and I’m cursing my rotten luck.