Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Economist predicting for the 30th year in a row that the country will collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bofast posted:

The Nikkei index does not have to be more valuable just because it went up. If the currency it's valued in goes down in value, the number naturally goes up, just like food or other goods become more expensive in a devaluing currency.

The Nikkei was 30% lower 18 months ago when the USD/JPY was the same as now. I guess Japan is doomed.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Economist predicting for the 30th year in a row that the country will collapse

It's not about collapse, more like another 30 years of economic stagnation or decline including in real wages and demographics. So more or less what we expected

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

*looking wistfully at the Donki store* I remember when their tissues were good

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

*looking wistfully at the Donki store* I remember when their tissues were good

said no one ever

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Correct, absolutely nobody would care about tissue quality in Donki

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Correct, absolutely nobody would care about tissue quality in Donki

No it was never good

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Japanese facial tissues are pretty trash and just completely disintegrate in your hand.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Shammypants posted:

I also bring a ton of poo poo over to Asia for relatives so I bring full bags and empty them out only to fill them with tourist junk to return. In other words theres reasons for big bags.

What do you bring them? I’m going over in march to visit family and I I’m trying to figure out what to bring em that wouldn’t be available locally.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

What do you bring them? I’m going over in march to visit family and I I’m trying to figure out what to bring em that wouldn’t be available locally.

Aside from certain luxury or near luxury brands like Coach/LV/Prada that are overpriced there it appears a lot of shoe brands/models are overpriced or difficult to find, particularly athletic and running shoes. The weirdest brands we get asked for are American Eagle and Under Armor which are not expensive but not as easy to get new styles cheaply. Suitcases end up being 5-7 purses, 5-6 shoes, and a bunch of cosmetics. Recently we brought a lot of Drunk Elephant and Ariana Grande stuff that wasn't on King Power or at the malls. Last trip we also brought a steamdeck OLED for someone on top of a camera lens. Electronics prices can be pretty sucky.

People really have to tell you what they want, because it's pretty dang hard to figure out if something is available at stores there or not on occasion. Even if a brand is available a certain style or model might not be available so now we just straight up get texts and LINEs telling us what to bring each visit.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 16, 2024

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

The Nikkei was 30% lower 18 months ago when the USD/JPY was the same as now. I guess Japan is doomed.

I don't know why you would jump to "Japan is doomed", considering no one said that. I would argue that Japan's economy is a lot less likely to crash than something like the US economy (as an example), and relatively free and stable countries are rarely doomed even in a crash. Japan like any country would do well to deal with their huge government debt problem, but at least it seems to be mostly domestic debt since they are still the world's primary creditor nation.

I'm just saying if X (valuation of goods, services and assets) divided by Y (valuation of currency) equals 1.0 at this point in time, then the ratio can go up because X goes up or because Y goes down. Given that the USD does not have a fixed value, either, the JPY/USD exchange rate is not a fixed point of comparison. It's complicated. :shrug:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Bofast posted:

I don't know why you would jump to "Japan is doomed", considering no one said that. I would argue that Japan's economy is a lot less likely to crash than something like the US economy (as an example), and relatively free and stable countries are rarely doomed even in a crash. Japan like any country would do well to deal with their huge government debt problem, but at least it seems to be mostly domestic debt since they are still the world's primary creditor nation.

I'm just saying if X (valuation of goods, services and assets) divided by Y (valuation of currency) equals 1.0 at this point in time, then the ratio can go up because X goes up or because Y goes down. Given that the USD does not have a fixed value, either, the JPY/USD exchange rate is not a fixed point of comparison. It's complicated. :shrug:

Japan needs Western forums to defend it's honor from Gaijin criticism. It's not in a 30 year period of economic stagnation, you can get a studio apartment with a genkan, A GENKAN! I've met so many good friends in Japan working and traveling there and my interest in their economy isn't to delight in its failure but out of genuine interest and hope for my friends futures. It's a shame people have to justify themselves in such a way but it's clear that's what it is.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'll be going back to Japan after 6 years next month for a week (finally visiting Kyoto wooo!).

I was just wondering if I can tap my card/phone to get on trains yet, or do I need to buy tickets or get one of those travel cards?

Also I would love a hanten jacket and a kimono like Samurai Matcha from the YouTube has. Can you recommend anywhere that does them for a reasonable price in Osaka/Kyoto? And is there a district in Osaka that might still sell old walkmans/minidiscs?

That's it for my dumb questions!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you have an iPhone you can install the Suica app and get and charge a virtual card on that, then rap to pay for trains etc.
If you have an Android phone that was not made for the Japanese market, then you'll have to get a physical IC card.

Kyoto is absolutely stuffed full of kimono/traditional clothing stores and rental, I'd think most of them are decent but have not entered any.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Bofast posted:

This is the correct take imo, the demographic situation will eventually just slowly eat away at the economy like it will in other countries. But the idea that complacent Japanese people will just tolerate things becoming harder is complete garbage.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

If you have an iPhone you can install the Suica app and get and charge a virtual card on that, then rap to pay for trains etc.
If you have an Android phone that was not made for the Japanese market, then you'll have to get a physical IC card.

You don’t even need a specific app, it’s handled within the Wallet app on an iPhone. I think from the iPhone 7 or 8 they’ve all had the IC chip to work in Japan.

My phone is Japan market but I can also add cards for the U.S., China, and Hong Kong through that app.

This is the easiest option.

Some train lines are now also trialing new gates which can take either QR code payments or tap from normal Visa/MasterCard debit or credit cards, but I wouldn’t recommend that yet - it’s not as widespread as Suica/Pasmo, and only one specific gate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why don't they have it for Android? Is it because of the Japanese obsession with Apple products?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Android manufactures don't want to pay for FeliCA tech or don't want to pay the licensing fees for their phones sold in non-Japanese markets. If you buy a Japanese Android it'll work just fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zettace posted:

Android manufactures don't want to pay for FeliCA tech or don't want to pay the licensing fees for their phones sold in non-Japanese markets. If you buy a Japanese Android it'll work just fine.

It’s the licensing. I think last time this came up it turns out the chips are there in most decent Android phones (because why make two different SKUs) but they only pay the licensing fee for Japan market.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is a Honki person?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah I have Android and it looks like Japan doesn't yet support tap with a normal card or phone like London.

Can I buy a... Suica or Pasmo or whatever they're called at Osaka Airport or are they still hard to get? Thanks for the help!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
At Osaka, the IC card to get would be ICOCA. There was never a shortage of those.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The lines at the KIX train station might be massive if your timing is unlucky. But you need to line up whether you're getting a paper ticket or an IC card (ICOCA or PiTaPa), so you might as well get the card!

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 17, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Ah I have Android and it looks like Japan doesn't yet support tap with a normal card or phone like London.

harperdc posted:

Some train lines are now also trialing new gates which can take either QR code payments or tap from normal Visa/MasterCard debit or credit cards, but I wouldn’t recommend that yet - it’s not as widespread as Suica/Pasmo, and only one specific gate.

For reference, because I saw one in the wild this afternoon:

Pasmo/Suica up top, credit/debit tap in the middle, QR/barcode reader on bottom.

I haven’t read up on how widespread they are, but I’ve seen a few stations near where I live start putting like one of these each at different station exits. It’s too early to say “just use a card/phone like London” but maybe soon.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks all! The ICOCA card is exactly what I need! Is that pronounced like a word or by letter, btw?

Oh, can I get a sim card from Hong Kong or should I order one online and pick up in the airport? I arrive at 6 30am so hopefully the lines won't be too hectic. Just get me in that onsen immediately (yes I have a list).

harperdc posted:

For reference, because I saw one in the wild this afternoon:

Pasmo/Suica up top, credit/debit tap in the middle, QR/barcode reader on bottom.

I haven’t read up on how widespread they are, but I’ve seen a few stations near where I live start putting like one of these each at different station exits. It’s too early to say “just use a card/phone like London” but maybe soon.

Ah, the future is coming!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks all! The ICOCA card is exactly what I need! Is that pronounced like a word or by letter, btw?

I guess the English phonetic would be ee-koh-ka, which in Japanese is a phrase (行こうか/ ikouka) that roughly translates to "shall we go?" or "let's go".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese pronunciation is like Hawaiian pronunciation, if that helps.
A ah
E eh
I eeeEEEEEEeeEEE
O oh
U you

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

harperdc posted:

I guess the English phonetic would be ee-koh-ka, which in Japanese is a phrase (行こうか/ ikouka) that roughly translates to "shall we go?" or "let's go".

That's what I was after! I know a smidgen of Japanese, just wasn't sure how that card should be pronounced!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i knew that all of the IC cards were puns and stuff, but i only figured out what manaca was supposed to be… 真ん中…

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

Japanese pronunciation is like Hawaiian pronunciation, if that helps.
A ah
E eh
I eeeEEEEEEeeEEE
O oh
U you

eeeEEEEEEeeEEE've been mispronouncing I all this time.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

I guess NFC should be fine if the credit card verification happens quick enough, but lol at people trying to open some app and line up their phone screens correctly right at the ticket gate for QR. QR works fine in retail, but at least Felica was designed with Tokyo's train stations in mind.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

DannyHibiki posted:

Went to Universal Studios Japan on November 23, 2023, and it was pretty slammed. It is a day off, so it's more like a weekend day than anything chill. Really glad we had bought express passes or we wouldn't have been able to ride much at all.

I was planning to do Disney in the middle of the week - November 23 would be for something like exploring Akihabara or the animal cafes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wrapping up my trip in Thailand, thinking about where to go next, mostly considering Tokyo or Taipei.

As for Tokyo, I'm thinking of mainly being based out of Akihabara, although according to Trip a lot more people like staying in places like Ginza instead apparently.

I have other interests for being in Japan, but I'm mostly interested in making my nerd pilgrimage to Akihabara and immersing myself in video games/manga/electronics poo poo.

So should I just focus my hotel search on Akihabara or look at hotels in other areas then commute over using rail?

Also, how can I find the more unique/offbeat hotel/social hostel offerings? You know, like a video game based hotel in Akihabara?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

As for Tokyo, I'm thinking of mainly being based out of Akihabara, although according to Trip a lot more people like staying in places like Ginza instead apparently.

I have other interests for being in Japan, but I'm mostly interested in making my nerd pilgrimage to Akihabara and immersing myself in video games/manga/electronics poo poo.

So should I just focus my hotel search on Akihabara or look at hotels in other areas then commute over using rail?

Also, how can I find the more unique/offbeat hotel/social hostel offerings? You know, like a video game based hotel in Akihabara?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don’t stay in Akihabara. You can stay less than a 20 minute train ride away and have much greater selection of cheap hotels (Ueno) or more expensive ones. Akihabara is on the Yamanote Line, which has trains stopping every 2-3 minutes. A “commute” is an hour plus, that’s nothing.

I’ve never heard of a video game-themed hotel in Japan. Bars, yes. Not hotels.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Assuming I had a few days to stay, is it worth staying in a capsule hotel just for the experience and to save money? How do you choose between a traditional hotel, capsule hotel or ryokan?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 18, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I would highly recommend the Anshin Oyado capsule Hotel in Shinjuku for convenience, experience and money

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A ryokan is a destination in and of itself. You don't just casually stay there, it's a whole thing and even the cheap ones are expensive.

A nice hotel is for people who enjoy nice hotels when traveling.

A business hotel is for people who just want a private, comfortable place to sleep and are otherwise going to be out and about. You don't get much but it's cheap.

Capsules are super cheap. If you don't care about private space and can sleep while ten dudes are snoring and/or hacking up a lung all night, I guess it might be okay. I stayed in one for a night once just because and one night was more than enough.

I'm a business hotel guy personally, it's up to you though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've had nothing but good experiences in capsules and will be exclusively staying in them on my next trip. They have everything you'll need, including baths and ear plugs, and I think they're just really cool. The prices are usually incredible too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bet you can sleep on a plane too, ya jerk. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If I bury myself under blankets with headphones I can (sometimes!)