Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alright well I rolled one up and got out of Irenicuses dungeon. Guess I gotta go adventure now. 🤷‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Just saw news about a new game "inspired" by the Infinity Engine games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2108180/Swordhaven_Iron_Conspiracy/

I haven't played the other games by this developer, but I have read that they're Fallout-clones. No idea whether this game will be good, but I'm optimistic.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

rojay posted:

Just saw news about a new game "inspired" by the Infinity Engine games: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2108180/Swordhaven_Iron_Conspiracy/

I haven't played the other games by this developer, but I have read that they're Fallout-clones. No idea whether this game will be good, but I'm optimistic.

AtomRPG has been on my wishlist for a while. IIRC it was well received and had pretty robust options for peaceful resolutions, which is a nice touch

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just finished my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 3. Took 147 hours to get through it and it was loving awesome every step of the way. In light of that, decided to go pickup my newish playthrough of the original trilogy. Right now I've got my main as a fighter/mage, Minsc, Neera, Jaheira, Imoen and Khalid, and am just kinda doing my "post Nashkel mines" sweep of the southwest maps. I like to lawnmower the black out of every single map. It tickles a part of my brain. Anywho, I just absolutely love the music, atmosphere, and sedate pace of BG1. I never play the Baldur's Gate games piecemeal, always as a complete playthrough, and having the first game be so lowkey really helps set the stage for poo poo-getting-real in Dragonspear and then BG2. I know many folk skipped the first game and otherwise don't care for it, but I love it to pieces. It's the very best "low level just getting started adventuring" game that I've every played.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think it’s aged the worst out of all the IE games but you’re right, there is a lot of charm to farting around the wilderness.

I really like how finding a single magic item is a huge deal at low levels.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Considering how much I love low-level D&D generally speaking, I always wonder how much of that is why the first Baldur's Gate is such a favorite of mine despite the general consensus seemingly being that it is not nearly as good as II.

I could play level 2 characters struggling to accomplish basic tasks forever, mmmmm

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I try to get past the low level phase of BG1 ASAP. As with everything else, I lay the blame for that with the ironman thread.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A thunderstorm killing your wizard right outside of Candlekeep

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I never play iron man. I enjoy peaceful low-stakes wandering around and helping chickens and sculptors.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Iron man is a fun challenge but I absolutely couldn't play that way all the time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Once my wizards have more than three spell slots i get overwhelmed. Idk when i'll ever return to bg2

The Pipsisewah
Dec 13, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The ironman thread has ruined BG experience for me. On one hand, I'm too frustrated to roll yet another hardcore character that will die to an easily avoidable mistake. On the other hand, rolling a regular one would yield no comments or attention, so my brain won't spare any good chemicals for such fruitless venture.

buy me plat+archives and I'll DM you one compliment every time your party leveld

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Currently trucking through BG1EE with a small handful of mods and had a quick question: does anyone else get these thin black border lines around some sprites? I see it occasionally on the game menu, around some characters, and most noticeable of all is around Thalantyr's big spinning crystal? Is this a known thing? I've tried alternate renderers and other graphics settings to no avail. It's not a big deal and is overall not super noticeable, but figured I'd ask.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can you post a screenshot?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Just finished my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 3. Took 147 hours to get through it and it was loving awesome every step of the way. In light of that, decided to go pickup my newish playthrough of the original trilogy. Right now I've got my main as a fighter/mage, Minsc, Neera, Jaheira, Imoen and Khalid, and am just kinda doing my "post Nashkel mines" sweep of the southwest maps. I like to lawnmower the black out of every single map. It tickles a part of my brain. Anywho, I just absolutely love the music, atmosphere, and sedate pace of BG1. I never play the Baldur's Gate games piecemeal, always as a complete playthrough, and having the first game be so lowkey really helps set the stage for poo poo-getting-real in Dragonspear and then BG2. I know many folk skipped the first game and otherwise don't care for it, but I love it to pieces. It's the very best "low level just getting started adventuring" game that I've every played.
I love playing the first game. Those graphics are just pure nostalgia for me. When I think of bg 1 I think wilderness in the fall.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vargatron posted:

Can you post a screenshot?

Not sure why, but my screen-print isn't coming through in the post. I'll try to find one online I can link to.

Edit: Here's a link to a post on the Beamdog forums where another user has the same issue: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/70309/2-years-since-i-checked-up-on-bg-ee-are-the-black-lines-still-a-problem

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That's a scaling issue with the sprites. Can you change resolution or go to windowed mode to see if that helps?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Geforce Now might be helpful if you're running NVIDIA.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, that would have been my next suggestion. Looking in Nvidia control panel and making sure no 2D settings were being overrode.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Once my wizards have more than three spell slots i get overwhelmed. Idk when i'll ever return to bg2

I made a fighter/mage and got my poo poo wrecked by a magical lizard man and some trolls.
When do you need to do companion quests in bg2 btw.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vargatron posted:

Yeah, that would have been my next suggestion. Looking in Nvidia control panel and making sure no 2D settings were being overrode.

I’ll take a look at my NV Control Panel settings. Running in a window doesn’t help and I’d prefer not to ever use GeForce Now. I rather like tweaking games’s graphics settings in NVCP individually.

I’m running the game full screen in 1440p, wonder if it’d help to down-res the game to 1080p?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I would try 1080p and see if that helps.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

I made a fighter/mage and got my poo poo wrecked by a magical lizard man and some trolls.
When do you need to do companion quests in bg2 btw.

Do the quests relatively quickly. If they bug you about their quest not being done, you probably have a day or two.

In several of the quests you can just go to the spot and they will go "aha! my treasured family heirloom is in that dungeon" or similar, at which point you can leave and do the rest of the quest when you feel like it. Maybe look up the quest in particular before you do that though

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 17, 2024

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vargatron posted:

Yeah I would try 1080p and see if that helps.

Update: tried 1080p and it still happens. It seems to go away if I disable UI scaling, until I zoom far in and can still notice it in some areas. I've tried the alternate renderer and forced-off any enhancement like AF and AA in my Nvidia Control Panel. It's a very minor issue so I'll just live with it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sorry to double post, but has anyone tried the Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition mod? I have an installation of IWD2 currently setup with my characters just having gotten off the crashed airship, wherever that is in the game. Can I just uninstall my current Weidu mods, and then install IWD2 EE over my current installation?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

Sorry to double post, but has anyone tried the Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition mod? I have an installation of IWD2 currently setup with my characters just having gotten off the crashed airship, wherever that is in the game. Can I just uninstall my current Weidu mods, and then install IWD2 EE over my current installation?

I haven't tried it but my guess would be you can't install it midgame. You're also probably best off doing a clean install.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

chaosapiant posted:

Currently trucking through BG1EE with a small handful of mods and had a quick question: does anyone else get these thin black border lines around some sprites? I see it occasionally on the game menu, around some characters, and most noticeable of all is around Thalantyr's big spinning crystal? Is this a known thing? I've tried alternate renderers and other graphics settings to no avail. It's not a big deal and is overall not super noticeable, but figured I'd ask.

In Options -> Graphics, uncheck Sprite Outlines and restart the game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Suspicious posted:

In Options -> Graphics, uncheck Sprite Outlines and restart the game.

I never use sprite outlines, so that’s not the issue. Thank you for the suggestion however.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Despite playing the BG games for 100s of hours over 24 or so years, there’s still a lot I’ve never truly understood.

So here’s my latest question: when my attacks value shows something like “3/2,” is that saying three attacks every two rounds? Or essentially 1.5 attacks every round?

And then if I’m comparing weapons and a different weapon says “2” for attacks, that means two attacks per round?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You are understanding correctly

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It’s three attacks split over two rounds so you will attack twice one round and then a single time the second round and then repeat.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Is the order of those rounds randomized, or will a character with 3/2 attacks always attack twice (or once) in the first round?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's not random, it goes 1 2 1 2 1 2 etc.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, Insane Difficulty SCS Watcher's Keep really does not gently caress around.

(That one fight in the maze where demons summon elementals and salamanders is basically the first fight I've ever had to reload repeatedly just because I couldn't at all see what was going on.)

Unrelated, I just discovered the most hilarious and fun bug ever with the Warlock kit mod. You're not supposed to be able to scribe scrolls because you're not a traditional spellcaster (the warlock's thing is that instead of real spells you get invocations that you can cast at will) but you can use them after level 12 (and of course you eventually get Use Any Item as an HLA because that's certainly not broken at all). The mod accomplishes this by using scripts to disable the 'Write Scroll' button entirely when you enter inventory with a Warlock character selected. (This is minorly clunky because you have to select your other mage characters before scribing scrolls for them to get the button, but nbd.)

So it turns out when you select another character, enter inventory, and then swap to your warlock, you get the write scroll button. Which adds that spell to your cast-at-will invocations list, which is why my warlock can now cast UNLIMITED STONESKIN.

I will not abuse this. Much.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m trying to install EEex over top of my current modded BG install, and when trying to load a save game, the game crashes. It also crashes on creating a new game or using the tutorial. I’m using Infinity Loader, and have set the app to have admin rights. The game creates a crash.dmp file, but I’ve no idea how to read it.

My installed mods are:
Iwdification
Unfinished business
CDTweaks
BG1 NPC Project
And Dragonspear UI++

Anyone have this issue or know what I should be looking for?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I’m trying to install EEex over top of my current modded BG install, and when trying to load a save game, the game crashes. It also crashes on creating a new game or using the tutorial. I’m using Infinity Loader, and have set the app to have admin rights. The game creates a crash.dmp file, but I’ve no idea how to read it.

My installed mods are:
Iwdification
Unfinished business
CDTweaks
BG1 NPC Project
And Dragonspear UI++

Anyone have this issue or know what I should be looking for?

Install order masters and DUI++ should be installed first, before anything else. I haven't used them in a while, but UB and BG1NPC should come before the IWDification and CD tweaks should follow that, IIRC.

EEex doesn't really care where it goes in the order. I usually install it last.

The crashes are weird if you had a working game before EEex. Did you move or add any other mods at the same time?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You know on a repeat playthrough of Irenicus' Dungeon it's nice having the context of what his deal is all about it and makes the place slightly more interesting but man does it go on just slightly too long for it's own good. Maybe it's not so bad if you've had 20+ years of experience to memorize the place and just bolt through everything but it's just ever so slightly too big to make it somewhat fun like Candlekeep is, at least IMO.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Irenicus's Dungeon was very much a showcase of all the cool new things the modified Infinity Engine could do!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think there's mods out there that just start you in Athkatla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, there's definitely stuff like Dungeon-Be-Gone that will at least speed you through the dungeon.

It's really just got the same problem that the first stage of every RPG ever has, which is that most people will play through that section 2,783 times more often than the rest of the game as they decide and redecide on characters (or maybe that's just me)