Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder how many elements in The Hobbit+LotR could be considered knockoffs of something grander within the Legendarium. The Arkenstone's the Great Value Silmaril, Sauron and Morgoth, Aragorn and Arwen vs Beren and Luthien, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It really is pretty funny thinking about how much of that is him consciously writing things that "rhyme", and how much is him really being out of ideas having used them all up already in The Hobbit and unpublished Silm as he complained to Allen & Unwin when they asked him to write a sequel so they could start the IP iteration machine.

Particularly thinking about the "Men in Númenor -> Gondor is really just a recapitulation of Elves in Valinor -> Beleriand" which could go either way

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 16, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Arkenstone is Tolkien’s attempt to modernize a real OE word “eorcnanstana” (“precious/holy stone”; Tolkien interpreted the first element as related to the rare pre-Christian magic word “erce”, which Christian OE/Latin speakers glossed as “sanctus”) which he had previously used to translate “Silmaril” into OE for the Lost Tales stuff. So, bearing in mind his later “translation conventions”, I would say that the Arkenstone is not a Silmaril, but it is called by the same name that the common speech used for Silmarils, whatever that was.

At the time of writing it was probably more like a self-parody or topsy-turvy version of the Silmarils, with greedy dwarves in place of tragic elves as rightful owners, a self-regarding dragon in stead of the devil, and a dapper midget taking on the role of Beren.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I've always liked the idea that the Arkenstone is, in fact, a Silmaril but everyone in a position to keep up the Feanorian oath really wants it not to be and so pretends it isn't.

This is entirely unsupported by the text but I like it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OPAONI posted:

I've always liked the idea that the Arkenstone is, in fact, a Silmaril but everyone in a position to keep up the Feanorian oath really wants it not to be and so pretends it isn't.

This is entirely unsupported by the text but I like it.

The one that fell into the bowels of the earth specifically.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

As a kid when I first learned about the existence of The Lord of the Rings (via coming across a synopsis of the LotR SNES game, lol), I was already aghast that "they" were getting away with such a blatant ripoff or retread of The Hobbit. This Frodo is obviously a knockoff Bilbo, and then the quest proceeds the same way pretty much? The wizard guy makes him leave the shire and hike east and then they hang out with Elrond? Come on.

Then I learned more about Lord of the Rings and realized that no it's really its own full story, and then I learned even more and realized that no it isn't

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes exactly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Way far away from Beleriand.

Picturing it getting bounced all around by all the Valar as they chase it across the floor and it keeps getting kicked and ricocheting hundreds of miles as soon as anyone reaches for it like in a Pixar movie or something

(what scene am I thinking of, fff)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Ice Age rat-squirrel?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah lol, that's one good exemplar. Probably hundreds of others

Something where a bunch of spies are all grabbing for a gun and it keeps skittering across the floor. Maybe that new Mission Impossible movie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maedhros: "Fell?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Picturing it getting bounced all around by all the Valar as they chase it across the floor and it keeps getting kicked and ricocheting hundreds of miles as soon as anyone reaches for it like in a Pixar movie or something

It's like the Ring. It wanted to be found.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Confusing movie and book quotes as one is wont to do

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Data Graham posted:

Dong feng song dao shou yi ding hui bao
Anything goes!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dong feng song dao shou yi ding hui bao
Anything goes!

The Oath claims another.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah god dammit

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arc Hammer posted:

The Oath claims another.

Maglor is still unaccounted for, you know. She'd better watch her back.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

YaketySass posted:

I wonder how many elements in The Hobbit+LotR could be considered knockoffs of something grander within the Legendarium. The Arkenstone's the Great Value Silmaril, Sauron and Morgoth, Aragorn and Arwen vs Beren and Luthien, etc.

Cory Olson has made this point in his lectures (I think it was his course in the Silmarillion?) And makes the comparison of how Christians to the same thing in the "New Testament" aping stories from the Torah.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
After going through the Silmarillion, reading the part of the Hobbit where Bilbo first meets smaug hits a bit different. Bilbo just poo poo talking Glaurungs great grandson

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Cory Olson has made this point in his lectures (I think it was his course in the Silmarillion?) And makes the comparison of how Christians to the same thing in the "New Testament" aping stories from the Torah.

I posted him talking about it this page!

Or maybe last page idk

euphronius fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 17, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Meanwhile "Galilee" can be translated as "Shire," which is another layer of fun.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

euphronius posted:

I posted him talking about it this page!

Or maybe last page idk
Crap sorry, totally missed that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Goddamn temple of doom whips

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Goddamn temple of doom whips
It’s Ke Huy Quans second finest film role!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nessus posted:

It’s Ke Huy Quans second finest film role!

Yep, The Goonies is definitely a better movie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That kid was my loving hero in the 80s. He whipped so much rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CommonShore posted:

That kid was my loving hero in the 80s. He whipped so much rear end.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

Yep, The Goonies is definitely a better movie.
I prefer his more recent work myself

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nessus posted:

I prefer his more recent work myself

Wikipedia posted:

In 2019 he was cast in a supporting role in the Netflix film Finding ʻOhana, released in 2021. Quan approached director Jude Weng after overhearing her describing the film as The Goonies meets Indiana Jones, in both of which Quan had appeared.
Oh, just more of the same.

yes, I know

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

Oh, just more of the same.

yes, I know
Lmao, he’s had more roles than I thought!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Listening to the Mythgard series on Return of the Shadow and in the second episode he has one of those apparent double brain-farts where just as I'm getting over one thing he's inexplicably overlooking he gets something else egregiously wrong.

He talks about the emergence of the term "The Shire" and how JRRT waffled between calling the region a "county" and a "shire", and Olsen couldn't think of a good explanation for why he settled on "shire", and neither could any of the attendees apparently, aside from "shire" being English and "county" being French. I'm like, how about that "county" implies a count? Implies nobility, an aristocracy? He really leaned away from any kind of social hierarchy as he developed hobbit-society, and it seems like this was clearly a part of that thought process.

Anyway then a minute later he's talking about how hobbit naming schemes are simplistic like "The Water", "The Hill", "The Mountain" etc. And he says "Rivendell, which means a valley with a river in it"

And I wanted to claw my eyes out. Noooooo that's not what "riven" means

He even gives you the name "Imladris" and its etymology so you know what the "ris" part means aarrghh

Anyway. Guess we all have off days, just seemed a bit much all at once lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does he not know what the word riven means.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Everyone knows "riven" means "come after myst".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finished the Silmarillion last night, fun book!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who the gently caress did Celebrimbor think Annatar was? Some unknown rando who happened to possess ringlore that Celebrimbor, the greatest smith of his age, wasn’t aware of? The other elf lords knew it was fishy and sent him on his way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

Who the gently caress did Celebrimbor think Annatar was? Some unknown rando who happened to possess ringlore that Celebrimbor, the greatest smith of his age, wasn’t aware of? The other elf lords knew it was fishy and sent him on his way.

He should have clocked Annatar as one of the ainur at least. The way it’s described in LOTR you’d think elven eyes could spot a deity, even incognito. And it wouldn’t be unbelievable that the gods would send messengers to help out in Middle-earth, even a messenger who was a weirdo obsessed with magic rings. Thats pretty much what they eventually did to deal with the whole Sauron situation, after all

This is probably discussed in the second age parts of Unfinished Tales somewhere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He's just a guy who knows a lot about rings. Why do you gotta be so suspicious

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah just like Saruman was a master of ringlore. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

That's like saying making powerful jewelry is a bad idea just because Fëanor did it once.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah just like Saruman was a master of ringlore. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

That's like saying making powerful jewelry is a bad idea just because Fëanor did it once.

Has there been a time when making powerful jewelry actually worked out for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

zoux posted:

IIRC Annatar was calling himself “Aulendil” also (Aule fan) which is hilarious. He was presenting himself as an emissary from the Valar to help out the remaining elves in ME which was maybe plausible but some of the other elves were like, we’ve never heard of this guy. Motivated reasoning is a hell of a drug.