Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

quote:

B.C. Premier David Eby told an unrelated news conference on Wednesday that British Columbians were frustrated by the number of overpass strikes, calling "this company Chohan'' one of the "worst offenders."

"The astonishing part is that the company thinks that they should be still able to operate," he said.

Eby added: "My only hope is that on the way to court, they don't run into a bridge. I encourage them to take the bus or some other form of public transit on the way to the courthouse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lol :boom:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Don't bother unmuting.

https://i.imgur.com/Zwhlqbc.mp4

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

OSHA: I encourage them to take the bus to the courthouse

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

thats a big hat

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I used to deliver car parts to shops and I loving hated walking under or anywhere near those things.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
DIY angle grinder hacks, usually horrifying, these are pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-39fu5ZoYxs

Idk maybe some of these shouldn't be spinning at angle grinder speeds? But then again they're pretty small diameter? And maybe you could use an angle grinder that has adjustable rpms?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/STu52Ov.mp4

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Karate Bastard posted:

Idk maybe some of these shouldn't be spinning at angle grinder speeds? But then again they're pretty small diameter? And maybe you could use an angle grinder that has adjustable rpms?

what the hell these are supposed to be super sketchy and dumb as hell? First of these ive seen thats actually well thought out, even has a speed controller reducing it down to 5k rpm, which sounds fine enough.
The only really sketchy looking one is the drum sander which needs a guard to block off fingers from reaching the drum and the depth/line guides that screw onto the guard, which will flex.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Was disappointed that this didn’t end with a burp.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Karate Bastard posted:

All that is old is new.
Back in the 70s black and decker made a whole set of adapters to turn your power drill into a disc sander/saw/lathe ect they all had one thing in common they were all poo poo, if you can afford it you are way better off using the tools built for the task, sure you can convert an angle grinder into an electric toothbrush to brush your teeth every evening but do you really want to.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What do you mean convert?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The real problem with those mods is that you’re gonna burn the motor out of the grinder faster than just getting the right tool. And possibly lose a finger but that’s secondary.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is the point at which it becomes a bad idea:

Why did the angle grinder become the tool to abuse when making your viral content? Is it because they are so cheap?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

Why did the angle grinder become the tool to abuse when making your viral content? Is it because they are so cheap?

I wouldn't use a Makita for this, but I'd burn up a Harbor Freight angle grinder on a furniture project

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Harbor Freight grinder would burn up after being plugged in for the first time anyway.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

It is because they are small and handheld. Tools like the lathe are larger than a human and thus it can be easily determined to be dangerous. Things that are small, helpful, and typically predictable do not appear to be dangerous to the naive user

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

LookieLoo posted:

Everytime I read something from the US, it sounds like you guys are just summoning actual demons from hell to run roughshod over humanity.

They hate us cause they anus.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

My practice uses the same shredder and ours has never lasted that long without jamming. Super jealous.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

My practice uses the same shredder and ours has never lasted that long without jamming. Super jealous.

Are you typically disposing of legal wizard scrolls and the like?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kw0134 posted:

The Harbor Freight grinder would burn up after being plugged in for the first time anyway.

They're pretty decent if you open them up and replace the grease in the gearbox before first use.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was expecting that to end with the bin popping open and spraying brown paper shreds everywhere

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/YIEd4RK.mp4

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

kw0134 posted:

This is defamatory and misleading your honor. You usually have to turn it on at least once before it fails. Usually.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The only thing you need to know about angle grinder hacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-imZgxAyIE

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

biznatchio posted:

The only thing you need to know about angle grinder hacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-imZgxAyIE

Yup. Angle Grinders will murder you during normal use, I'm absolutely astounded anyone would want to modify them to make them more prone to do so.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. Angle Grinders will murder you during normal use, I'm absolutely astounded anyone would want to modify them to make them more prone to do so.

Think of the improvement in efficiency though, that wood chipper mod could kill you in several distinct ways thereby making your doom that much statistically fast!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

"DIY angle grinder hacks" is one of those phrases that really shouldn't exist.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah, it's more like lacerations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My girlfriend has a beach house in Brazil and went there for about a month to have a carport added to it, and I had to actively talk her out of making an Angle Grinder of Death tool so the laborers could use it as a circular saw to trim boards. She said "Brazilians use them all the time," and was texting her brother to back her up. "Have you ever used one of these?" she asks, and he says "Yes, but they're very dangerous, people lose fingers and eyes."

She eventually relented but my bringing up how they wire up their shower heads didn't win me any points in the argument.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deformed Church posted:

What about :nms:corporate mandated angle grinder hacks?:nms:

TW missing digits.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Actual hand grenades would probably be quicker at whatever they're doing with those

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Karate Bastard posted:

Actual hand grenades would probably be quicker at whatever they're doing with those
This goes for so many problems in my life, you have no idea.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can someone help me remember something correctly?

I seem to remember a discussion on here involving phosgene and phosphine and possibly other nasty chemicals being used as precursors in chemical production, despite being essentially ww1 chemical weapons. I seem to remember the one turning into the other under this or that condition, but looking up those chemicals on wikipedia I'm thinking I must be misremembering, because they don't seem to have much in common.

I seem to remember a USCSB video making the rounds at the same time. Maybe this one that deals with phosgene, but that doesn't mention any phosphine.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or have I just dreamed it?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It may have also been in the PYF chemicals thread, if nobody here remembers it (I don't).

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

some people have the coolest mums

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I'd pit that.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Rice thread in Ask/Tell maybe? Phosphine came up there awhile ago because it's a major fumigant for pest control on containers of rice being shipped internationally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Karate Bastard posted:

Can someone help me remember something correctly?

I seem to remember a discussion on here involving phosgene and phosphine and possibly other nasty chemicals being used as precursors in chemical production, despite being essentially ww1 chemical weapons. I seem to remember the one turning into the other under this or that condition, but looking up those chemicals on wikipedia I'm thinking I must be misremembering, because they don't seem to have much in common.

I seem to remember a USCSB video making the rounds at the same time. Maybe this one that deals with phosgene, but that doesn't mention any phosphine.

Phosphine is PH3 (Phosphorous with three Hydrogens) and Phosgene is COCl2 (Carbon monoxide with two Chlorines hanging off the Carbon, kind of). They have no elements in common, so whatever you're trying to remember, I don't think it's exactly that pair.

It looks like phosgene can show up on from a bunch of sources, including "heating carbon tet in air" (which is unfortunate, since it was used in both fire extinguishers and brake cleaner), and UV-induced breakdown of chloroform.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 18, 2024