Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

UnderFreddy posted:

sometimes I scroll over to Matts youtube channel and the videoes just aren't great, are they? Generally gets 100k+ views though.
What Happened? started out pretty good, but then started to fizzle once he started running out of material AND tried putting videos out more frequently.

There was also that period where he was just making new segments like The Bug Report and Edgelords left and right trying to see what would stick.

That seems to be Matt's curse, really. He aims high and big, but always seems to not have enough juice to take it to the finish line. I dunno, that's my read on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never found Matt very good as a solo act. He's often pretty good if not great when he has someone to play off of, but his solo stuff is just mindnumbing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never found Matt very good as a solo act. He's often pretty good if not great when he has someone to play off of, but his solo stuff is just mindnumbing.

Yeah, his solo stuff is hit or miss for me as well. I do like the stuff he does with his wife like the fashion critiques, but those could be edited a bit better

Warbird posted:

The SEW Omikron stream is going “well”.

:sickos:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

Which is such a shame because Matt plays off others so well. I think like 90% the phrases permanently lodged in my brain from the sbf days were him riffing off pf pat or woolie.

"NO! Find out what'll kill me...then back it up a little bit"

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Brightman posted:

Woolie being mad at the pie story is why it's persisted. If he had laughed it off initially they would've dropped it, hell we may never have heard about it. Continuing to be mad about it just fuels the flames all the more.

IMO people who still make Woolie pie stealing jokes need to grow up, get off reddit, and develop a real sense of humor. Even beyond the fact that Woolie himself is sick of it, the joke is over a decade old and it was already pretty dead before the best friends even broke up, which itself was over 5 years ago.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The pie story gave me one of my favorite jokes they did.

"Buy our merch and Woolie will stop stealing pies!"

"NO I WON'T"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is such a shame because Matt plays off others so well. I think like 90% the phrases permanently lodged in my brain from the sbf days were him riffing off pf pat or woolie.

I agree with this 100%.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What is that one from?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, Matt's solo content is like half what happened and the other half is basically Fisticuffs/Scrublords with oneshots here and there.

Ended up checking his latest video, The Bouncer, and it's really nothing. Like it's mostly explaining the development from what could be observed on the outside with no particular insights, talking about how pissy game journalists were at the time for not getting to play it at trade shows, and its almost odd release (came out december in japan, march in the US despite being ready by January). Properly credits a different youtube channel for finding out what happened to the dev.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MorningMoon posted:

Properly credits a different youtube channel for finding out what happened to the dev.

All I'm gonna say is that this is a really, really recent change, because before, oh, let's say, two months ago, there were a lot less citations and on-screen credits for other videos he used footage from and sources he read out from.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder what could've put this fear into him

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What Happened is weirdly popular among non-SBFP fans. Everytime there's a new episode I see it get linked all over the place, so I get why Matt keeps it going even if the series is kind of low on juice right now.

Captain Invictus posted:

This is how I still feel about the group as a whole.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I greatly enjoy solo Pat, but yes Woolie needs Pat or Reggie or whomever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't believe how lucky woolie got in getting Reggie on board, they are incredible together

And pat is more of a 1.5 people streamer, as he plays off chat way more than anyone else does.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat's solo breakdown on the xbox podcast was good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Watched his stream of it and yeah he gets really vicious and stops the video frequently to break down just how loving evil and deceptive the poo poo they're saying is at times, it's great

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

claw game handjob posted:

All I'm gonna say is that this is a really, really recent change, because before, oh, let's say, two months ago, there were a lot less citations and on-screen credits for other videos he used footage from and sources he read out from.

Huh. Didn't know that. Can't say that really surprises me though :smith:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I kinda wish Pat would do more edited videos like that recent P3R one and those Elden Ring ones, he's pretty good at it. I don't think he has much reason to though unless a company asks him to like they did for those examples.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I started watching Woolie when he did his collabs with Little V and those were great fun. I miss not having Little V around but he's also got his own music career so I'm happy he's doing what he enjoys.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Yeah he also moved out to Calgary so doing vids with Woolie would be hard.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

MagusDraco posted:

Yeah he also moved out to Calgary so doing vids with Woolie would be hard.

Everyone keeps moving away from Woolie.

John mentioned in a stream that he was planning on moving out of his current place soon-ish, so I assume he will also be further away from Woolie

Shinji2015 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 20, 2024

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
gently caress yeah, just saw that Woolie's going back to Yakuza 0 tomorrow.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Everyone keeps moving away from Woolie Quebec.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean can you blame them? I'm in Ottawa and I look across the river and see it glaring back at me.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I was in Ottawa for a business trip last week and walked across the bridge to Quebec and got stabbed

i got a tattoo in Gatineau

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Huh. Didn't know that. Can't say that really surprises me though :smith:

I am more surprised than I should be tbh. After all those years of having the equipment and library to record content I just kinda took for granted that he'd be his own source. Guess he learned a lot from Did You Know Gaming...

Brightman posted:

gently caress yeah, just saw that Woolie's going back to Yakuza 0 tomorrow.

hell yeah poo poo's about to get even more yakuza-pilled in the podcast

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

decided to check in on HL2 again cuz he's at the bridge... woolie why the gently caress am i hearing clicking noises, when you're only doing WASD movement?? why are you clicking to move????? WOOOLIIEEEEE

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Indecisive posted:

decided to check in on HL2 again cuz he's at the bridge... woolie why the gently caress am i hearing clicking noises, when you're only doing WASD movement?? why are you clicking to move????? WOOOLIIEEEEE

Like mouse clicks? Not some sort of mechanical keyboard?

What is he doing then?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I thought he was still M/KB? He just has that weird hybrid half-keyboard on standby.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

it definitely sounds like mouse clicks, like i said i havent been following so i dont know for sure what his setup is. it definitely does not look like he is comforably using WASD tho, i haven't seen him strafe much* he definitely did some at least

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't been following any HL gameplay and thought you meant he was clicking in the controller's sticks to move.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Indecisive posted:

it definitely sounds like mouse clicks, like i said i havent been following so i dont know for sure what his setup is. it definitely does not look like he is comforably using WASD tho, i haven't seen him strafe much* he definitely did some at least

Supposedly it's a keypad with mechanical switches. Something smaller than a normal keyboard anyway which he finds uncomfortable for his streaming setup.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

anyway i could definitely be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. scrolling around he did open up the controls at one point and wasd was bound as normal. but listening at quiet points like 20:30-ish when hes being real careful on the beams it sounds very similar to mouse clicks IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsRamEoHiI&t=1230s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Do any mechanical keyboards sound like that?

Also thanks to whomever recommended Pat's breakdown of the Xbox 🏳️🏳️🏳️🏳️ podcast thing, it was very informative and very funny. I was reading his chat and people were saying some funny rear end poo poo pretty consistently

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Do any mechanical keyboards sound like that?

I found what he's using finally. He showed it off at the start of the 6th youtube video for HL2

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MagusDraco posted:

I found what he's using finally. He showed it off at the start of the 6th youtube video for HL2

When he showed it off he mentioned the clicky keys at some point. Sounds like cherry mx blue switches to me maybe.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The ending to this week's podcast is something else.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
He also rebound some movement keys like jumping, sprinting, and crouching to mouse buttons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got a good kick out of Woolie doing careful jumping to cross the bridge, only to walk back along the gantry and realize he could have skipped all of it while Reggie starts howling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

thats just the classic HL2 experience