Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kingturnip posted:

I think he went in for surgery, and whatever happened, he had a stroke or aneurysm or something that left him with aphasia. He came back and made a couple of posts but they were hard to read - and probably harder for him to type out - but I don't remember anything since then.
Aphasia sucks.

Never met him here but i hope he's ok wherever he's at.

edit: 255 is close to my heart as it's FF in hexadecimal. :c00l:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have wondered about that guy, last I heard he wrote a message that said it was cure or kill. Not sure we heard anything more since?

He wrote a couple of posts afterwards and I gather his operation had complications that had left him with a lot of difficulties.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

For those who have not been blessed by his classes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbAsndSKXA

I've been following him since his driving on salvia vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnwS5sPOzb0
:allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still occsaionally hear Todd Chlorox in my head.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I've been posting in this thread for a long time albeit not very much. At least a decade I reckon. My politics have changed A LOT in that time, partly thanks to ideas and information I've found here.

I really value it as somewhere where I can talk about politics and actually feel heard rather than be regarded as borderline insane for advocating that we can and should be doing something about crippling poverty, the deaths of thousands of innocent children regardless of their religion and colour of their skin, and the impending collapse of our only known habitable ecosystem.

The thread drags me down a bit sometimes because accepting the need for change requires us to face up to the current situation - which is often appalling. Despite the slogans though on the whole it's a source of hope.

I don't agree with most of you half the time but please never change.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 17, 2024

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Testro posted:

Yeah, that's what I remember.

Lurking is a weird state; you read every day so everyone is a regular in your life, but the regulars have no idea that you exist.

This. I genuinely feel a lot of affection for this thread, it helped me through a very dark period but I've only met one regular irl for sure and I can't remember if I've met another or just parasocialed my way into thinking I have. Bit weird probably but that's aging memory for you :lol:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Zalakwe posted:

I don't agree with most of you half the time but please never change.

You're not my dad, I'll change if I want to :colbert:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lurk less

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rip to the fallen, they're shitposting in Heaven now.

Lurkers provide an essential function, specifically by knowing they're around and reading our posts I can tell myself that getting into fights ITT is praxis because I might not change the minds of my inveterate posting foes but third parties are much more open to persuasion.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mebh posted:

Not like they need me to defend them but there's objectively nothing wrong with Josef bugman or their posts. Ease off dude.

observing bugmans forums evolution from timid poster of the covid dark age to bellicose reply guy has been pretty good

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

this is an uncharacteristic serious post btw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also a fan of Punished (Venom) Josef.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kecske posted:

observing bugmans forums evolution from timid poster of the covid dark age to bellicose reply guy has been pretty good

shame the op misread who 99 was talking about though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would say 2 things you need to bear in mind before coming out of lurk:

1) This thread is remarkably patient with people who want to know more, as evidenced by the number of times over the years people have been willing to explain basic political concepts to me. And look at me now! I still don't understand but now I'm horrifyingly depressed.

2) This patience and friendliness can be retracted in a heartbeat if you're taking the piss.

2a) Bear in mind if someone storms in going "lol you're all wrong and here's why," the pushback they recieve on that is not the thread being 'mean,' it's because they were being a oval office.

This is often misinterpreted as the thread being groupthinky. It's really not! You just have to be willing to defend your opinion without getting weirdly agressive, using bad logic, or saying things like 'did you even read' etc.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WaffleACAB posted:

Not to mention dearly departed twisto and Camrath ofc.

It conflicts me in an unpleasant way when posters in this thread die. I've never met them and don't know what they look like but nevertheless, I might have been chatting to them on and off for years, and it's a shock when they die but there's no proper way to acknowledge it, if you know what I mean? Like, it was a proper blow when Camrath died but I had no idea how to convey that to people who had no idea what SA is.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zalakwe posted:

I've been posting in this thread for a long time albeit not very much. At least a decade I reckon. My politics have changed A LOT in that time, partly thanks to ideas and information I've found here.

Yep, I used to be the most awful, clichéd, Guardian-quoting, sensible grown-ups, lesser of two evils kind of poster; now I'm a communist craving for revolution and the overthrow of the state :)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Been reading David Mitchell's book on the British monarchy and it took him all the way until Henry V before he had a good old rant about 'Corbynistas'. Well done David.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Which Monarch did he start with?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
lol you're all wrong and here's why

*unfurls 50 page essay about how Taylor Swift's Red album defined a generation*

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Rarity posted:

This is correct tho. I remember it all too well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I liked when Taylor Swift's Red Album fought the nazis to a standstill at Stalingrad.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the people's album is deepest red

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Starbucks posted:

Which Monarch did he start with?

Arthur, which he acknowledges was not a real person in any meaningful way. I mostly started reading it for the Anglo-Saxon guys which I don't know a lot about and found sort of interesting. Nothing you couldn't get from Wikipedia though tbh.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I started as a communist baying for revolution but 2019 had me realise it's a pipe dream for the time being. Since then I've not been too interested in politics, rather than just working on getting my own life sorted out in many ways. It's been a mad few years for me since, what with moving out and finding love and learning a trade, but I still look at this thread to see if there's any updates. I just don't find it all as interesting when it's mainly about how the political parties are poo poo rather than there being some political movement worth joining in with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just for the record I'm glad this happened. I remember you describing your circumstances.

I kind of miss the drawings, but I think the longer I'm online and engaging with politics, the more I understand why people have to take lengthy breaks.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Well I feel silly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

I liked Jose and his method of surviving floods by drinking his way through it.

Jose is in fact very funny, even the mere fact he got blocked from D&D entirely is funny. I also miss Ober because he was one of the few in the thread who actually outmatched my sheer bloodlust for Madam Guillotine.

I also miss Bozza, it always felt like he moved to Glasgow & suddenly just vanished soon after. I assume because he's busy with real life rather than because he got chibbed by some east end Young Team. And Spangly A, I specifically remember his posts on the DWP were what got me to go from lurking to posting, because the thread's politics were far closer aligned with my own than I had expected.

All these people who grow up & get too busy to post, it's really not on.

Rarity posted:

lol you're all wrong and here's why

God, what a rubbish generation that must be.

...It's millennials, isn't it? It's my generation. This is the thing of being born close to the boundary of Gen-X & millennials, if I said there was a sound of my generation it'd be some rotten mix of nu-metal & emo, which is no better but much more accurately sums my yoof. And not the good emo that I listen to, the really boring stuff that's just Green Day.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 17, 2024

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
bozza posts with the cool kids

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Think I've been posting itt for a long old time at this point. Certainly from before the 2010 election when an embarrassing number of us Agreed With Nick against the advice of less excitable, wiser heads who knew what the Orange Book was.

I think I've met about five or six goons irl who I didn't already know (including Bozza but he refused to tell me anything about level crossings), mainly by convincing them to turn up to see my various lovely bands play.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bozza has posted occasionally in the gbs chat thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

God, what a rubbish generation that must be.

Now we got bad blood

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've been posting in UK threads in D&D and LF since I got here and my opinions were pretty dogshit back then.

My posts are still pretty bad but I at least make people laugh now so that's a bonus.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I married the only goon I knew in real life. She's fun, and is way more of a goon than I'll ever be as she was at the actual goon camp that :gooncamp: is from.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mebh posted:

I married the only goon I knew in real life. She's fun, and is way more of a goon than I'll ever be as she was at the actual goon camp that :gooncamp: is from.

Was she confused, eek, or gonk?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smdh if you didn't marry one of the two in the tent

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Bozza has posted occasionally in the gbs chat thread.

he's posted this very day, before the segue into sausage chat

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WaffleACAB posted:

Then there's people like Jose and Jedit who are active in other threads but seem to have given up on the UKMT?

I didn't go anywhere. I just didn't have anything to say.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Szmitten posted:

Was she confused, eek, or gonk?

She's a lurker and has only posted like, twice ever. It's also why I mostly post in here, as she might see my posts and then I'd just have to die of shame or something for not doing SA right.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
am no deid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Think I've been posting itt for a long old time at this point. Certainly from before the 2010 election when an embarrassing number of us Agreed With Nick against the advice of less excitable, wiser heads who knew what the Orange Book was.

I was reading in 2010 and was quietly despairing at the decision of some not to vote Labour, but I can't throw stones; my take was not sophisticated - simply that life under Labour during 97-10 had been better than the under the Tories of the 80s/90s, and Clegg and Cameron were to the right of Brown, so I chose the left-most option.

But it took reading this thread religiously for years to make me realise that my ideology is actually far more left than Labour is - and to learn why some opinions I held (or would've held, had it not been for this thread deconstructing them) were, frankly, poo poo.

I don't regret the hope we shared in 17-19 - but it's been a miserable slog ever since.

The biggest 'ah gently caress' moment for me was that I stopped reading the thread after the 19 election; I couldn't stomach the smugness of BoJo for 5 years, so I became the least engaged I'd been since about the age of 9 - no politics, no news, nothing.

I had a great time for about 15 weeks, using my energy on fun hobbies instead of doomscrolling about Tories - but of course, it left me woefully ill-prepared for Covid, which totally came out of the blue for me. I remember coming back here in March 20 and thinking, "drat, I stopped reading the news for the first time in about 25 years and...eeeeesh."