Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Karach posted:

Ok Prey (2018) main story was enjoyable right up until the ending. The ending loving sucks. It feels so rushed and silly compared to the careful craftsmanship you can see in the rest of the game.

"Oh you were in a simulation (which starts with you in a simulation inside that simulation, morty!!) and we were just making sure you were cool. The characters you thought you were interacting with? Judgmental robots. Good job saving humans, even the bad ones. Anyway welcome to the resistance."

I pressed the "kill everybody" button when it gave me that chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I got like ten minutes of hell diving and it crashed twice, also the tutorial bugged and I couldn't crouch or crawl under the initial barbed wire, just sat in the queue mostly and listened to friends hoot and holler. I've been owned

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

KirbyKhan posted:

I pressed the "kill everybody" button when it gave me that chance.

I should have done this, it's always the right choice

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Karach posted:

Ok Prey (2018) main story was enjoyable right up until the ending. The ending loving sucks. It feels so rushed and silly compared to the careful craftsmanship you can see in the rest of the game.

"Oh you were in a simulation (which starts with you in a simulation inside that simulation, morty!!) and we were just making sure you were cool. The characters you thought you were interacting with? Judgmental robots. Good job saving humans, even the bad ones. Anyway welcome to the resistance."

now is the part where you get to replay the game and actually figure out what's actually going on in the ending because it's foreshadowed and explained a lot

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

turn off the TV posted:

now is the part where you get to replay the game and actually figure out what's actually going on in the ending because it's foreshadowed and explained a lot

wow was the ending a simulation too?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
"the snowrunner guys made a Paris Dakar Ralley game, its free on epic"

no it loving isn't, its 70gigs and loving robs you of the 15 minutes it takes to get to the part where you uninstall

how the gently caress do you have a point to point ralley where the first thing you do is grind group races, also the handling sucks

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bro Dad posted:

Helldivers 2 is now the most popular game in the world, so the devs decided to celebrate by rolling out a new patch that completely disabled multiplayer

A network infrastructure story in two posts:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

i dont give a poo poo about that how do i save the lesbians

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I want to buy HD2 but i have to work today :nsamad:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah I got like ten minutes of hell diving and it crashed twice, also the tutorial bugged and I couldn't crouch or crawl under the initial barbed wire, just sat in the queue mostly and listened to friends hoot and holler. I've been owned

It's working now, its cool, I love the hell dive

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Y8: I was minding my business when an anime car came screeching around the corner, 4 buff anime people 10 levels above me got out, kicked my rear end in a single round and stole my money :stare:

this is a common occurrence in hawaii

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Isn't hd2 a co-op multiplayer game? Why does it have gameguard?

"Additionally, some versions of GameGuard had an unpatched privilege escalation bug, allowing any program to issue commands as if they were running under an Administrator account.[8]"

lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
on the mean streets of Hawaii you need to keep your head on a swivel.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Salt Fish posted:

Isn't hd2 a co-op multiplayer game? Why does it have gameguard?

so you don't cheat yourself the premium currency, and obv actual hackers like in Dark Souls times

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxrBpTM-7w

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1758946450203877395

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol starfield

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's a co-op 3rd person shooter right, why is this one specifically getting so popular

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I couldn't say for sure but it sounds like it's popping off because in addition to everything else it is, it's the first decent scathing parody of any type in any media to come out in like 30 years

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zokari posted:

it's a co-op 3rd person shooter right, why is this one specifically getting so popular

its real fuckin good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That and when you make teamkilling both expected and people complaining about it are treated like crybabies, you just have more fun. Like how the NC had way more fun in Planetside 2. When your average weapon has a TTK of like 0.2 seconds with headshots and that's exactly the height people walk in front of you at, you just learn to accept it and move on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Karach posted:

I liked it a lot actually. Tied in nicely with the starting setup. And personally would have liked to see what happened in Prey 2. Which we will never get.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

I couldn't say for sure but it sounds like it's popping off because in addition to everything else it is, it's the first decent scathing parody of any type in any media to come out in like 30 years

It's not the deepest satire or anything but stuff like "Managed Democracy" and the animation of going to vote where you go to a screen and press the Vote! button are pretty good.

Epic High Five posted:

That and when you make teamkilling both expected and people complaining about it are treated like crybabies, you just have more fun. Like how the NC had way more fun in Planetside 2. When your average weapon has a TTK of like 0.2 seconds with headshots and that's exactly the height people walk in front of you at, you just learn to accept it and move on.

I respect the devs responding in a FAQ to people asking about turning off friendly fire by saying "no it's a core part of the experience." Which is absolutely true, watching your friend chuck a 350mm orbital strike marker and having it ricochet off a rock and land at your feet is hilarious.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

When your average weapon has a TTK of like 0.2 seconds withheadshots death is constantly raining from the skies, you just learn to accept it and move on.

The reason it's doing well is because if you continuously fire any gun for more than like three seconds your character starts laughing manically

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zokari posted:

It is a good left 4 dead

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's doing well because it's really fun to drop orbital strikes and even more fun to gently caress up and drop them at your feet and everyone in the team runs like crazy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
can you still kill someone with a drop pod, i always got a kick out of that in the first one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

uber_stoat posted:

can you still kill someone with a drop pod, i always got a kick out of that in the first one.

The UI even helpfully highlights where your squadmates are while you're dropping so you can avoid them.

You wanted to avoid them, right?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
can't wait to get the upgrade for better drop pod steering

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zokari posted:

I haven't played it yet but:

a) Deep Rock Galactic, while one of the best (if not The Best) pubby co-op shooter games of all time, is also showing its age and for many has been played out
b) Back 4 Blood was supposed to be the L4D-killer but WB-Zaslav hosed it up. (Its actually not bad now and p good, but the damage is done and everyone bailed)
c) Remnant 2 was kinda a low-key mild at best success afaik but it's also not really a MP-heavy pubby high-frantic action game
d) the genre is generally pretty niche and small in general. last big one was what.. Darktide?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Karach posted:

I like the ending, since I think its pretty decently foreshadowed. I did not like the part near the end where every enemy is replaced by those loving laser robots

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Xaris posted:

d) the genre is generally pretty niche and small in general. last big one was what.. Darktide?

Redfall lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ojetor posted:

Redfall lmao
lol i forgot about that. leave it to Bethesda to gently caress up a slam-dunk genre.

the genre is clearly primed for over a decade and has huge demand as seen by almost every game bustling at the seams when it comes out. hell even L4D2 is still one of the most played games on steam and it's almost old enough to vote. and even what people thought would be moderate successes are blowing lids off. it's an insanely popular genre with actually not that many games (or good ones) in it to meet the demand

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

helldivers sounds fun, sort of like a modern version of the mass effect multiplayer. but I know better than to fall down a long-term multiplayer rabbit hole game rn

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zokari posted:

The game is very fun, OP

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zokari posted:

It's really well-made in a way where you can easily see why people are digging it by just watching some gameplay footage. A game being good in a way that demos very well goes a long way.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It also has some of the best video game explosions since the Build engine.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Plus it's only $40 (I assume like $30 in the US??). Not a bad deal. I haven't bought it yet but it looks a) really fun and more importantly b) really funny

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You get to do missions where you arm huge guns and then later on the map you can use the huge gun to drop nukes on bugs. It's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
been having a blast when I've been able to get in. some really interesting and powerful unlocks too, lots to look forward to once they get their capacity issues handled. more than anything I appreciate the solid foundation they've built here, you can see how they could easily keep expanding this and mixing in more enemies, planet types, mission types, modifiers, etc.