Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like to stay in one place and actually know the area instead of doing some whirlwind tourist sesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

FreudianSlippers posted:

When I travel I like to be constantly on the move. Only staying in one place for at most three or so days then moving on. Otherwise I get bored.

Moving is the closest thing to being free.

Also I'm a weirdo.
This is more my speed. For our honeymoon, we went to Italy and did 4 cities in 10 days. Perfect. A year before, we had an extended family vacation at a beach condo for 7 days and I wanted to claw my eyes out. But to be fair, any more than 2 days at the beach is overkill.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like to stay in one place and actually know the area instead of doing some whirlwind tourist sesh
I have to be in tourist mode when I travel because I can't relax when I travel. I relax at home. That is my comfortable place. Travel is enjoying experiencing the world but always just on the cusp of a panic attack.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Most of the time when people have been talking about Blazing Saddles and Chariots of Fire, I've been thinking of Ben-Hur.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Splendid posted:

Most of the time when people have been talking about Blazing Saddles and Chariots of Fire, I've been thinking of Ben-Hur.

One imagines going to the video store and seeing these three movies in the same section.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Carthag Tuek posted:

whatever works

also to be clear i do hate traveling, its the being in a new place i like. the whole transport time is rear end. but i just take a nap and wake up 10 mins later fully relaxed so i can be awake for the entire trip, it owns.

You want fast-travelling, is what you want.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Philippe posted:

Correct, but Ambien is basically the same thing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ommin posted:

Correct, but Ambien is basically the same thing.

There’s Joose but you can only go to the hospital

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Philippe posted:

I just unlocked that skill tree, it's great so far.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

If all the creatures in Hollow Knight are bugs, the fireflies they put in their lanterns must be absolutely teeny weeny!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Hyperlynx posted:

If all the creatures in Hollow Knight are bugs, the fireflies they put in their lanterns must be absolutely teeny weeny!

Well, there's a pretty big disparity in the sizes of bugs in real life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DontMockMySmock posted:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I don't know why but it always brings me a little joy how that's everyone's go-to when bugs are mentioned.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ommin posted:

I have a weird love/hate relationship with travel, so having something to focus on helps my anxiety. Then once I'm at the destination I can settle in and relax.

Agreed, I hate the act of traveling, but love to visit new places.

Airports really highlight how dumb and unaware a lot of the population is. I could go on for a while about why but this isn’t the pet peeves thread.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

that's the same bug on two very differently-sized people

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well there's a pretty big disparity in the sizes of people in real life

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

I don't know why but it always brings me a little joy how that's everyone's go-to when bugs are mentioned.

It's because of the good-night poem. They're the most famous bugs.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
I learned from this image from a different thread that the plural of a computer mouses is still mice. Yes it logically follows, but this very deeply bothers me

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Takis are called that because it's short for "taquitos" and it all seems so very obvious to me now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
oh my god

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
actually it's because you taki a fue and go

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nameless Pete posted:

Takis are called that because it's short for "taquitos" and it all seems so very obvious to me now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Torquemada posted:

actually it's because you taki a fue and go

Are you proud of that. I would be

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think I fought that first one at the end of Queen's Gardens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62A5eOtLzI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

caspergers posted:

I learned from this image from a different thread that the plural of a computer mouses is still mice. Yes it logically follows, but this very deeply bothers me

Electrical engineers refuse to use “antennae”.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Peggy is short for Margaret

somehow

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hawowanlawow posted:

somehow

Daisy is also slang for Margaret. Jack is slang for John too. People were wild with poo poo like that back in the day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

hawowanlawow posted:

somehow

And Maggie and Marge.

Took me decades to figure out Maggie is named after her mom.

(Though Marge's full name might actually only be Margery not Margaret )

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Here is a few of the names and how they got there

quote:

Margaret stems from the French name Marguerite, which also happens to be the name of a type of daisy.

Margaret also went Maggie > Meggy > Peggy

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrBouvenstein posted:

And Maggie and Marge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68lF5ILsX4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

And Maggie and Marge.

Marge is usually short for Marjorie, which u believe Marge Simpson is canonically.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Holy hell her name is Margaret Hill, I had no idea

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Marge is usually short for Marjorie, which u believe Marge Simpson is canonically.

Presumptuous.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrBouvenstein posted:

And Maggie and Marge.

Marge Simpson is Marjorie, Maggie Simpson is usually Margaret. Both Marge and Maggie Groening are Margaret though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Margaret traces back to the Iranian word for 'pearl'

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Margaret traces back to the Iranian word for 'pearl'

Which gives us the Latin diminutive of Margaret, Perla or Perlita, I think.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

yaffle posted:

Which gives us the Latin diminutive of Margaret, Perla or Perlita, I think.
I was reminded about more of these great/not immediately obvious nicknames while rewatching Better Call Saul: Nacho (Ignacio), Lalo (Eduardo), even Tuco (Alberto). Then there's Chuy (Jesús) and Poncho (Alfonso). So many diminutives that seem entirely disconnected from the original names--I love it.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
All the Lalo’s I know are named Juan.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

I was reminded about more of these great/not immediately obvious nicknames while rewatching Better Call Saul: Nacho (Ignacio), Lalo (Eduardo), even Tuco (Alberto). Then there's Chuy (Jesús) and Poncho (Alfonso). So many diminutives that seem entirely disconnected from the original names--I love it.

It’s pretty easy to connect Nacho and Ignacio but the rest, totally. To add, Paco is a nickname for Francisco. I don’t get it, but sure.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

root beer posted:

It’s pretty easy to connect Nacho and Ignacio but the rest, totally. To add, Paco is a nickname for Francisco. I don’t get it, but sure.
Pepe for Jose, too. Sure, okay!

Here's my reference: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Spanish_diminutives_of_given_names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Santiago being st james is something I learned within the last month. No I don't get it either. Nacho for ignacio makes sense at least