Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

1stGear posted:

The Major Orders are community-wide missions. They are not missions specifically for you (those are the Minor Orders). The counter will only tick up if the community as a whole succeeds in a defense campaign.

It must be bugged then, we just successfully did so for Ubenea right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I think that planet was liberated, not defended.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

1stGear posted:

Uh excuse me, Super Earth executed a successful retrograde advance from Draupnir and Mantes that resulting in a resounding strategic shift. Those planets aren't important anyway.

Excuse ME?! You're questioning the explicit wisdom of high command on the official discord. This is undemocratic behavior. Report to your democracy officer for accelerated re-education.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 17, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

It must be bugged then, we just successfully did so for Ubenea right?

Ubanea was liberated and is now in need of defense as it is surrounded by yet to be liberated automaton planets (two of which we just lost).

Anway, what if the player count peaked AGAIN

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm lazy so just pretend I posted that always sunny clip of Dennis screaming about how he hasn't even begun to peak

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Diephoon posted:

Ubanea was liberated and is now in need of defense as it is surrounded by yet to be liberated automaton planets (two of which we just lost).

Anway, what if the player count peaked AGAIN

Oh I see, makes sense

We're not hitting 8 lmao

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
With the PS5 players it must being getting close to a Million concurrent. Word of mouth is gonna keep boosting it.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

1stGear posted:

The Major Orders are community-wide missions. They are not missions specifically for you (those are the Minor Orders). The counter will only tick up if the community as a whole succeeds in a defense campaign.

Thanks! It's not like we're individuals here, we're just cogs in the relentlessly grinding machine of Liberty!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I've been stuck at the title screen on PS5 for like a half hour lol

Also lol that people can't comprehend that they can't just throw more servers at the problem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All the servers were on Draupnir

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
So there's trouble with the servers or something? In game I see that there's zero helldovers online. At least the defence mission is doable solo now at trivial difficulty..

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grimnarsson posted:

So there's trouble with the servers or something? In game I see that there's zero helldovers online. At least the defence mission is doable solo now at trivial difficulty..

All servers are currently fine. Any reports of servers being on fire or "too loving full to process a gotdamn thing" are agitprop by either robots or bugs or both.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Grimnarsson posted:

They disabled that to free up a lot of backend.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Grimnarsson posted:

They said they temporarily turned off all the stat tracking to alleviate server load.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is the autocannon bad? i figured it'd be able to shoot off the front legs of a charger but it just bounces, and those are what seem to be the biggest hurdle for mid level groups

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

queeb posted:

is the autocannon bad? i figured it'd be able to shoot off the front legs of a charger but it just bounces, and those are what seem to be the biggest hurdle for mid level groups

It's better against robots, charger armor will ricochet AC shells so they need explosives or railgun

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I'm amusedly surprised they set their expectations so low.

the opposite is commonplace, but you rarely see "we didn't know our poo poo was this good"

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

queeb posted:

It's godlike against everything below heavy armor, but yeah with chargers for example you have to hit them in exposed bits with it. If you're playing solo you can always just run autocannon + EAT and between those and your primary you have enough firepower to take almost anything down as long as you don't get overwhelmed

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

the opposite is commonplace, but you rarely see "we didn't know our poo poo was this good"

Dunning Kruger in real time.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Fate Accomplice posted:

I think it’s a case where they just didn’t expect that it even could explode like this. Their previous games have always been decently successful, but only within their particular niche. Adding third-person shooting to the Helldivers formula put them in an entirely different arena, though, one far bigger than they could have anticipated, so even decently successful would have been a shock, let alone the runaway popularity they’re seeing now.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Dunning Kruger in real time.
wouldn't this be the opposite of d-k, tho

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Last night I wasn't seeing my rewards, today I have all of the rewards and more, along with all the things I attempted to buy last night. So that's cool I guess.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Legit Businessman posted:

All servers are currently fine. Any reports of servers being on fire or "too loving full to process a gotdamn thing" are agitprop by either robots or bugs or both.

drat! I may have been fed malinformation and I will report this to my nearest Democracy Officer!

quote:

They disabled that to free up a lot of backend.

quote:

Ok, I gotta try it once more then. The player count, enemies killed, shots fired, divers lost etc, is a pretty nice feature though. It creates a nice athmosphere of being part of something bigger. Which is Democracy!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

blastron posted:

I think it’s a case where they just didn’t expect that it even could explode like this. Their previous games have always been decently successful, but only within their particular niche. Adding third-person shooting to the Helldivers formula put them in an entirely different arena, though, one far bigger than they could have anticipated, so even decently successful would have been a shock, let alone the runaway popularity they’re seeing now.

Me and a few friends where looking forward to this game because we played the original Helldivers quite a bit but I agree I don't think anyone could have really predicted it would blow up this much.

The move from top down to 3rd person really changes the feel of the game and I think it draws in a much larger pool from the shooter crowd. Also the peak number of players tripled from launch weekend to this weekend which really speaks to this game catching fire via streamers and word of mouth.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 17, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't sure about the third person transition after HD1 (and Risk of Rain 2 doing the same - it's fun but it's really not much like RoR1 at all) but yeah, they nailed everything about the game

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
yeah servers are actually fine right now, i can buy things from the warbond no problem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thumbtacks posted:

yeah servers are actually fine right now, i can buy things from the warbond no problem

I'm waiting to log in lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is the successor to Mercenaries i always wanted

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ efb

RBA Starblade posted:

I wasn't sure about the third person transition after HD1 (and Risk of Rain 2 doing the same - it's fun but it's really not much like RoR1 at all) but yeah, they nailed everything about the game

Imo it was going to come down to how strategems worked out and they did it well. It's a little finicky with the dispersed firing pattern arty where you think you're far away until you suddenly explode, but it was implemented well overall.

Throw an indicator in and an off map unit blows the poo poo out of, the children yearn for Mercenaries 3.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Just got the fun dropship bug where no one could board.

I threw literally 100 overchaged railgun shots at it, and it apparently starts smoking and catching fire, but that bitch just does not die

We just TKed each other to finish the mission lol

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Something is going on since I can play the game but only on solo, even though I'm on public. No SOS beacons to be found and no one joins any game I start.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Grimnarsson posted:

Something is going on since I can play the game but only on solo, even though I'm on public. No SOS beacons to be found and no one joins any game I start.

yeah matchmaking is busted right now, you pretty much have to join in on your friends list

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is it me or is the "killed by" indicator wrong about 80% of the time? I catch a rocket to the face from a robot and it says a teammate killed me. I run into a mine and I killed myself (which, technically is true, I guess), my own sentry kills me and it says I died by Impact.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oxxidation posted:

this is the successor to Mercenaries i always wanted

Yup. Real fond memories of dropping airstrikes on fools in Mercenaries and this makes me think of that game so much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fishstick posted:

Is it me or is the "killed by" indicator wrong about 80% of the time? I catch a rocket to the face from a robot and it says a teammate killed me. I run into a mine and I killed myself (which, technically is true, I guess), my own sentry kills me and it says I died by Impact.

It's wrong and the friendly fire damage counter is also wrong. Robot chainsaws you? A teammate did it. A teammate walks into my mortar strike? 0 damage listed at the end of the game. We were goofing around and a buddy just blasted me with a shotgun right before evac came in and the game didn't note it at all lmao

Kill counts also don't seem to count strategems, but it does count their accuracy or something. We did a mission to kill 135 automatons, succeeded and left. It thought we killed like 50 and I had 20% accuracy (I did not miss 80% of my shots with the marksman rifle lol)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Kill counts also don't seem to count strategems, but it does count their accuracy or something. We did a mission to kill 135 automatons, succeeded and left. It thought we killed like 50 and I had 20% accuracy (I did not miss 80% of my shots with the marksman rifle lol)

The kill counter does think that things like SAM sites are both stratagems and valid kills to count for your stats.

I managed to get the "Have a stratagem kill 25 enemies" without doing anything, and it MUST have been the SAM site that I activated.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I've been stuck at the title screen on PS5 for like a half hour lol

Also lol that people can't comprehend that they can't just throw more servers at the problem

Theres only one solution: More Helldivers

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Chain-running the "kill x robots and extract" missions on the highest difficulty you can handle (we're on suicide with a 2 man group now) results in an absurdly fast leveling speed. It's ~850 exp and ~3k requisitions per run on suicide. Literally takes longer for the deployment, extraction, and postgame stats than the mission itself.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna speedrun the game so I can burn out and stop playing it faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fate Accomplice posted:

The first game peaked at like, 6.7k players on Steam, and the devs have stated Steam and PSN numbers were roughly equal, so about 15k total peak. Helldivers 2 on Steam alone has peaked at like 280k, not even counting the Playstation numbers. If we assume the numbers are equal between platforms for arguments sake, there's literally no reasonable way to think the devs should have been ready to receive over half a million players, given the total numbers on their last game.