Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How bout that one MASTERS OF HORROR ep? The Washingtonians or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CelticPredator posted:

I’d put it low but I agree. It’s a lot go fun. It’s a serial killer hang out flick. I really like those characters.

I think that's why I didn't like the film too. The Fireflys are pieces of poo poo and complete cowards. I'd rather them get their comeuppance than spend time with them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that’s why horror is fun. You get to hang around in dark spaces safely

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

WeaponX posted:

I like all of RZs stuff and it got some points just for being his, but man it’s just stinky with late 2000s Chris Hardwick edgy lameness

To me, it's just so over the top ridiculous I can't help but laugh.

edit to add:

CelticPredator posted:

that’s why horror is fun. You get to hang around in dark spaces safely

They've done studies where they've found people who watch horror movies are mentally better equipped to handle disaster situations and the like compared to non-horror watching people.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 17, 2024

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Okay so any horror movies set on Presidents Day?

Yeah, "President's Day"

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Love this!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hail to the king, baby

He was nice, but a bit brisk. Had a giant lineup so I guess he just wanted to keep people moving.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Opopanax posted:

Hail to the king, baby

He was nice, but a bit brisk. Had a giant lineup so I guess he just wanted to keep people moving.

He’s on my list of horror royalty I want to meet. So far Tom Atkins has been the coolest, but Thomas G Waites (Windows from The Thing) asked my wife and I to go smoke weed with him and Matthew Modine and accidentally showed me John Carpenter’s personal email address, so he’s up there, too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Opopanax posted:

Hail to the king, baby

Man my ED1 and 2 Necronomicons turned to dust a long time ago, good on you for keeping your ED2 one good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Checking my Google calendar for when my weekly "spray necronomicon with water to keep it fresh" time is

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bruce is great but he’s insanely professional to a point where if you don’t realize it could come off as rude

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Man my ED1 and 2 Necronomicons turned to dust a long time ago, good on you for keeping your ED2 one good.

Oh it looked like poo poo!

I have a friend who does set design stuff and asked if she knew any prop people who could help and she figured she could handle it. Turned out great and she treated it so it should last a long time

CelticPredator posted:

Bruce is great but he’s insanely professional to a point where if you don’t realize it could come off as rude

Yeah that's the vibe I got, like I wouldn't say he was rude but he definitely wasn't quite friendly. His Handler bumped us to the front of the line because I had my son with me though, so that was super cool and I assume a direction he gave his team

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 18, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd say he's friendly but he's also smart as he's done this so much that he knows if he's too friendly it invites people who are a bit too weird and hold up the line. It also depends. It comes off as curt tho. He's def a sarcastic bastard but in a fun way. If you know bruce its just how he is lol

Sam Raimi is very very very friendly and it's wonderful. He talks to YOU and starts the conversation. I had to kind of quickly change subjects because I just had maybe one chance to be like, thank you for inspiring me lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I get it, I heard some of the volunteers grumbling about how friendly Adam Savage was being because his line was getting huge

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh my god look at that cast :homebrew:

oh no look at that movie :zombie:

Synopsis posted:

Deadly Voyage
1996 Directed by John Mackenzie

When stowaways are found on board a Russian cargo ship, some of the officers and crew decide to dispose of them at sea. The last time they had a stowaway on board, the ship was fined heavily and black marks entered into their records, when he made it off the ship into a foreign port.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sounds like Bruce is Scandinavian friendly. Which is about ten pegs below American friendly (which is very intense and off-putting).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Having a long line/hours is no excuse to be curt/cold when you are LITERALLY being paid to be nice to people excited to meet you. Its like getting hired to write a script then complaining you have to write.

(yeah gently caress you Tom Savini, 15 year old me remembers you bein a dick!)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Which is about ten pegs below American friendly (which is very intense and off-putting).

come to Massachusetts we will prove you wrong

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

I'll probably be there in March.

Still expecting even the most hostile American to be several times friendlier than the most friendly (sober) Scandinavian

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'll probably be there in March.

Still expecting even the most hostile American to be several times friendlier than the most friendly (sober) Scandinavian

hell yeah hmu ill buy ya a beer!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Opopanax posted:

I get it, I heard some of the volunteers grumbling about how friendly Adam Savage was being because his line was getting huge

Adam savage rules

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Kvlt! posted:

Having a long line/hours is no excuse to be curt/cold when you are LITERALLY being paid to be nice to people excited to meet you. Its like getting hired to write a script then complaining you have to write.

(yeah gently caress you Tom Savini, 15 year old me remembers you bein a dick!)

For what it’s worth Savini is open about being socially awkward and having a hard time with small talk during conventions but loving to do them and meet fans.

I’ve seen him a LOT since I’m in Pittsburgh and he’s always super nice but you can tell he’s got a social battery that gets drained pretty quick.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I watched I.S.S. the other day and it was aggressively fine, just kinda trundled along doing something stupid as best as it could. I suppose I was in a "space station movie" mood, because I exposed myself to LIFE tonight, and god that movie just sucks out loud. Just "empty head, no ideas, just MadLibs with alien monster movies."

Someone please give me a good sci-fi/horror flick. I've already seen Event Horizon, all the Aliens and Predators I can stand, and need something that's a space horror but good, y'know?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked Life a lot. Very fun little Alien send up. Really enjoyed Calvin the alien and the ending is really good

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I liked Life a lot. Very fun little Alien send up. Really enjoyed Calvin the alien and the ending is really good
One of the things NASA praised most about the movie Apollo 13 was how calm and matter-of-fact the astronauts were as their tin can was exploding in space.

These are trained astronauts, they have been over and over every potentiality and know how to do their job expertly in any condition. That's like, the main thing astronauts are known for! But in LIFE we get absolutely criminally broad and underwritten slasher-movie characters who all act like absolute morons, which - hey, I forgive in a slasher, because they're usually teens in an impossible situation, they're gonna lose their poo poo. So when they start cracking up and getting picked off one-by-one, you gotta think somebody might have brought it up, but no. It's a dreary one-note monster movie that doesn't even have an interesting design for "Calvin," much less anything interesting to do with the blood-spattered (but surprisingly tame, given an R rating) goings-on.

this you?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 18, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I don't think the person who wrote the worst review of Perfect Blue I've ever read should be accusing others of having bad taste.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I watched I.S.S. the other day and it was aggressively fine, just kinda trundled along doing something stupid as best as it could. I suppose I was in a "space station movie" mood, because I exposed myself to LIFE tonight, and god that movie just sucks out loud. Just "empty head, no ideas, just MadLibs with alien monster movies."

Someone please give me a good sci-fi/horror flick. I've already seen Event Horizon, all the Aliens and Predators I can stand, and need something that's a space horror but good, y'know?

Sunshine
Life
Underwater (not space but very similar vibe)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s everyone itt

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

Can I interest you in a little film called Pandorum?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shrecknet posted:

Life is like a top five space-horror of all time, so you might as well give up….. & get out!!!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a thriller called The Glass House with Leelee Sobieski from the early 2000s, it's got extreme The Stepfather vibes, but one of the things I adore about it is that Leelee's Ruby doesn't do anything wrong! She takes every action you're supposed to take, does everything right - calls the cops, grabs her brother and leaves the house, escapes through a portal that clearly would not stand up to a good thrashing - and still loses at most every turn, because her tormentor is also making every move right.

It's like, in Wheel of Fortune, nowadays they spot you the R S T L N E because everyone knows to pick those, and the puzzles are designed around that knowledge. Similarly, every horror movie has to be either a period piece or in a cabin in the woods so that cell phones don't work/exist. Horror movies gotta start spotting us the RSTLNE of cliches and just get to better ideas.

Anyway, LIFE sucks because they just take the dumbest choice cribbing off other, better movies. They even name-check the impeccable Re-Animator - that's like, rule #1 when you're making a movie, is don't reference a stone-cold classic and remind audiences they could be watching something better!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it was fine

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished Red Rooms and holy heck what a deeply unsettling thriller. I have so many questions but mostly I just want to think on it for a while.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Opopanax posted:

Hail to the king, baby

When my fiance and I met him way back when at a book signing, he was so chatty with us the event people were salty with us.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

I'm sure I've seen that on the tourist posters.

(And welcome back, it's good to see you again.)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Bracketology made me revisit(?) 13 Ghosts and man it's gloriously stupid. Very good!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

Bracketology made me revisit(?) 13 Ghosts and man it's gloriously stupid. Very good!

"It's gloriously stupid. Very good!" is classic horror thread review.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

13 Ghosts is a rare movie that gains basically an entire letter grade by just putting it in a really cool setting. That house is great.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

married but discreet posted:

I'm glad they're now back to doing things that are fun (Orphan: First Kill, Seance), but yeah peak Dark Castle Entertainment may have been brief but felt untouchable for entertainment during its run

13 Ghosts
House on Haunted Hill remake
House of Wax remake
First five minutes of Ghost Ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm glad they're now back to doing things that are fun (Orphan: First Kill, Seance), but yeah peak Dark Castle Entertainment may have been brief but felt untouchable for entertainment during its run

13 Ghosts
House on Haunted Hill remake
House of Wax remake
First five minutes of Ghost Ship

Dark Castle was great. The ghosts in 13 Ghosts were really fun designs and it’s a shame you can’t spend more time with them but you know, there’s 13 of them.