Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Drew lock is satisfactory for likely wayy cheaper and the seahawks are cap strapped. During a rebuilding year I'd take Drew lock at like 4-6mil and clear double digit cap space than geno at 30 mil and not that extra cap space

lol Drew Lock is a significant downgrade from the last 2 years of Geno. You can't buy that gap with cap space either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
What would the Bucs want for Baker?

he's not great but he's pretty fun

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Black Sunshine posted:

What would the Bucs want for Baker?

he's not great but he's pretty fun

He's a FA and they are going to re sign him.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The Seahawks will only move away from Geno if they want to commit to the tank (which I'm OK with actually) and save ownership some cash. Otherwise they have no reason to move him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lifespan posted:

The Seahawks will only move away from Geno if they want to commit to the tank (which I'm OK with actually) and save ownership some cash. Otherwise they have no reason to move him.

Yeah.

Drew Lock is garbage. So if they start him it’s committing to da tank.

lol at calling Lock “Satisfactory”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/SKProFootball/status/1758934280162467963

lol good

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Give him a lifetime contract, he'll surely be better than Tommy DeVito someday!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Gotta be a smokescreen…

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

EmbryoSteve posted:

Drew lock is satisfactory for likely wayy cheaper and the seahawks are cap strapped. During a rebuilding year I'd take Drew lock at like 4-6mil and clear double digit cap space than geno at 30 mil and not that extra cap space

I have a hard time believing they pitched Mike McDonald on “you are going to have to tank with Drew Lock for a top 5 pick in your first year”. Maybe we have wildly differing opinions on Lock’s ability. I mean he had that cool rear end win over Philly but I think over the course of a season the wheels would come off pretty fast and hard. Dude led the league in picks his one year starting.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Gotta be a smokescreen…

Ya it’s lying season

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mcmagic posted:

He's a FA and they are going to re sign him.

Can they tag him?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Bucs with Baker basically get a free 4 seed the next several years since I doubt the Saints and Falcons get their poo poo together any time soon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

indigi posted:

Can they tag him?

Yeah I guess but I don't think they will. They can probably do like a 2-3 year deal with him and get a much better cap hit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I'm betting Baker gets a Geno - Jimmy sized contract. Like, who's paying him more then that?

APY wise you have all the guys with true blue franchise contracts at 43+ in Burrow, Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, Wilson, Murray, Watson, Mahomes and Allen.

Then you have the slight discount for various reason guys in Stafford, Prescott, Jones, Carr, Rodgers, Cousins and Goff between 33-40.

Then you have Tannehill at 30, Geno at 25, Jimmy at 24 and then all the rookie contract guys and Love and then below that in the mid single digits, you have the backups / bridge guys where Baker was.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think baker gets 35/yr for 2-3 years.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think baker gets 35/yr for 2-3 years.

I think a Daniel Jones contract is going to be the floor that Baker accepts.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I guess but I don't think they will. They can probably do like a 2-3 year deal with him and get a much better cap hit.

yeah I think they'll sign him to a 3-4 year deal, but the tag would keep things from escalating to a bidding war plus they have the option to trade him if the price is right or, as it were, wrong

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

I have a hard time believing they pitched Mike McDonald on “you are going to have to tank with Drew Lock for a top 5 pick in your first year”. Maybe we have wildly differing opinions on Lock’s ability. I mean he had that cool rear end win over Philly but I think over the course of a season the wheels would come off pretty fast and hard. Dude led the league in picks his one year starting.

That's definitely the other piece (and why I don't believe they are going to try to tank). They signed McDonald long enough that theoretically they could say "we want you to drive a rebuild", but they have definitely been posturing John Schneider as the all up master of the roster so I doubt he would have hopped onboard with the plan to nose dive the team.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 17, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's surprising there aren't more leaks from the coaching side about teams with a vacancy like the Johnson/Manders one. I don't even necessarily mean super specific like that, or from one guy, just rumors where it's like "multiple candidates this cycle have mentioned to sources that the GM/ownership/etc has no plan or direction/that they're dickheads." or maybe we do get those every other year and I just forget. hard to say

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mega64 posted:

The Bucs with Baker basically get a free 4 seed the next several years since I doubt the Saints and Falcons get their poo poo together any time soon.

If the Falcons get even decent qb play this offseason they could compete with the Bucs

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If the Falcons get even decent qb play this offseason they could compete with the Bucs

Such great heights

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hey a division win gets you to the playoffs just the same as 12 wins

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the seahawks moving on from Geno would be a mistake, if for nothing else they've just lost half of their offensive coaching room to the Panthers assistant positions under Canales.

I mean - that might be a reason to move on as well, but I think you'd want some continuity in the room for a year first before you pushed all in on a rookie, especially when the team didn't blow up to rebuild more trying to transition. It wouldn't surprise me to see them take someone in the second or third or someone like rattler or whatever to throw behind Geno and Lock and see what's what, but a wholesale sale of Geno and some attempt to jump up in the draft I don't see.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs can't really afford to franchise Baker and it's looking more like they'll franchise Winfield if they use the tag.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

He was ok in his rookie year and was in a totally dysfunctional situation year two. I think it makes sense to give him a shot next season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

He was ok in his rookie year and was in a totally dysfunctional situation year two. I think it makes sense to give him a shot next season

NFL teams love to poo poo away good time after bad with young QBs who clearly are never going to be top half of the league.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

steelers and jets should switch zach and kenny and see if anyone notices

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Parallax posted:

steelers and jets should switch zach and kenny and see if anyone notices

The jets are supposed to get rid of their dogshit bust QB this offseason, not take on someone else's.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I think the seahawks moving on from Geno would be a mistake, if for nothing else they've just lost half of their offensive coaching room to the Panthers assistant positions under Canales.

I mean - that might be a reason to move on as well, but I think you'd want some continuity in the room for a year first before you pushed all in on a rookie, especially when the team didn't blow up to rebuild more trying to transition. It wouldn't surprise me to see them take someone in the second or third or someone like rattler or whatever to throw behind Geno and Lock and see what's what, but a wholesale sale of Geno and some attempt to jump up in the draft I don't see.

In a vacuum I would have preferred for the hawks to trade Geno and rip off their cap hit bandaids.

The hawks have bad draft capital and a bad cap situation. It seems extremely unlikely that they are anything serious in 2024.

…but I can see why a young first time coach would like to stay stable their first year. Especially a defensive coach who is taking over an odd defensive roster that performed terribly.

I wouldn’t say no to Rattler or Milton in the later rounds.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I also generally reject the idea that teams need a decent-ish starting qb to ensure that the team can ~*develop*~

Every position except pass catchers can have meaningful game time snaps to foster growth almost agnostic of qb quality.

If Seattle had a bunch of young receivers then maybe keeping Geno would be more value add to me, but they have two established good veteran WRs and also JSN.

What do you think? Does a team need a decentish “bridge” qb to help a team grow??

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Flikken posted:

I think a Daniel Jones contract is going to be the floor that Baker accepts.

The Daniel Jones contract is going to be the contract teams pretend didn't happen in future contract negotiations along with the Watson contract.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I also generally reject the idea that teams need a decent-ish starting qb to ensure that the team can ~*develop*~

Every position except pass catchers can have meaningful game time snaps to foster growth almost agnostic of qb quality.

If Seattle had a bunch of young receivers then maybe keeping Geno would be more value add to me, but they have two established good veteran WRs and also JSN.

What do you think? Does a team need a decentish “bridge” qb to help a team grow??

I think there can be some real consequences, if he's bad enough. You can lose the locker room and everything spirals into negativity. See this year's Jets and Pats. Nobody on either team wanted to be there and it showed. It's also rough if half the drives are ending in 3 and out or turnovers. Limited reps for the offense, defense has to play way more which can lead to injury or even more bad vibes. See 2022 Broncos. How much did anyone on the Panthers "develop" this year with Bryce bombing?

Maybe it depends where you are setting the bar for "decentish bridge QB". I think Drew Lock is way below that bar. I'm thinking of it as more like Minshew. A very low end starter but not utterly hopeless out there.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

EmbryoSteve posted:

I feel like anyone who thinks Drew Lock and the last 2 years of Geno Smith are interchangeable has never watched Drew Lock play.

Outside of what little he did last season, anyway.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey a division win gets you to the playoffs just the same as 12 wins

Better, actually, since you get a home game.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I think there can be some real consequences, if he's bad enough. You can lose the locker room and everything spirals into negativity. See this year's Jets and Pats. Nobody on either team wanted to be there and it showed. It's also rough if half the drives are ending in 3 and out or turnovers. Limited reps for the offense, defense has to play way more which can lead to injury or even more bad vibes. See 2022 Broncos. How much did anyone on the Panthers "develop" this year with Bryce bombing?

Maybe it depends where you are setting the bar for "decentish bridge QB". I think Drew Lock is way below that bar. I'm thinking of it as more like Minshew. A very low end starter but not utterly hopeless out there.

Depends on the coach and the system too.

An ideal bridge QB situation would be something like HC and OC are bringing in a complete new system and drafting a rookie QB from a similar or even a completely different system. So you bring in the bridge QB to run the offense while the blocking, running and passing schemes come online. This shortens the learning curve for the offensive positions other than QB while the rookie learns how to run the offensive scheme and system from the bench. This is what Frank Reich apparently wanted to do with Bryce and Dalton.

When the rookie's up to speed on the operation of the offense you transition them into a starting role where everyone knows what they're doing. I also kinda think of it as a proof of concept move. You're showing the media, the fans, ownership that the big ideas and why you hired me are going to work even if we won't quite have it online til we draft / sign our QB.

If you get too much fuckery and too much of a split between the coaches, the coordinators, the locker room, the ownership and the front office you get a loving disaster like we saw in Carolina. Bryce was bad but he was failed horribly at every level. I think Geno would be fine in just about any offense they want to run because of his experience if they wanted him in that role but he's been well above replacement level play for the last two seasons and even if he's not elite I don't know that he's any worse an option than Baker, Goff or Cousins. I can see the benefits of sticking with Geno for another year while they cut bait on guys like Lockett and some of the older defensive heads. The chiefs showed the best possible outcome of using a bridge QB, draft the guy who's a good fit, familiar with the offense and let him learn behind someone who's only real goal is to not gently caress it up.

Drew Lock is not really the guy I'd be betting my career on if the only real goal from the position for 8 games or so was "don't gently caress it up". Even if Geno cost a little more.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Lifespan posted:

Ownership wants to stay competitive in the short term because they're about to sell, that's the entire reason Pete was fired in the first place. They're not going to get rid of Geno.

idk about two, Lockett was looking pretty washed for most of last season and that's probably not going to get better going forward

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

What about Russell Wilson? Is he cooked?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Ownership wants to stay competitive in the short term because they're about to sell, that's the entire reason Pete was fired in the first place. They're not going to get rid of Geno.

idk about two, Lockett was looking pretty washed for most of last season and that's probably not going to get better going forward

Are they actually moving toward selling? I remember the team was supposed to be sold after Paul Allen died but his sister just said "nah that's mine" and nobody did anything about it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Are they actually moving toward selling? I remember the team was supposed to be sold after Paul Allen died but his sister just said "nah that's mine" and nobody did anything about it.

Ostensibly the team still must be sold. It’s pretty clear from Paul Allen’s documentation.

The delay in sale seems to be mainly from the complexity and scale of processing a billionaire’s estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
My understanding is that the directive was to sell the Seahawks and Blazers within a certain period of time after his death and use the proceeds to fund his charitable foundations and poo poo?