Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The funniest moment in FFTA for me was when the main girl (I forgot her name) is talking about how she doesn't want to go back to the real because she has white hair.

She says this to someone with white hair and they're like ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Now, this is understandably because none of the protagonists actually know that the summoning of Ivalice resulted in the populace of their town being turned into the NPCs of the world - including the monsters, there's literally a scene at the very start where you see the three bullies from their school being turned into mindless zombie monsters - but good god.
There's a lot that gets jumbled in memory and memes. You never see the bullies transform, it's just implied because their names show up on enemies during a fight. What you do see at the start is the world shifting, a monster flying by, and some random people getting poofed into different races and continuing on as if nothing had changed. Then Marche goes from in his bed to floating out of it and waking up in the new world as well.

But it is not relevant to the LP, beyond being Ivalice adjacent.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hogama posted:

I've felt the opposite since Heavensward, that the Shadows of Mhach series feels oddly incongruous with the world despite dealing mostly with existing XIV concepts.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

quote:

It's not helped by the Redbills and Talons feeling like they exist in a completely separate setting

Skies of Arcadia, perhaps?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I find this tangent extremely funny because, as you all know, Tactics Advance is the ONLY FF I've ever owned myself and played to completion, and I love it dearly. There's a very small line in the Fictional Interlude before Rabanastre where Sunako gives Kheris a copy of the Legends of Ivalice concerning King Delita and mentions that the version of the Ivalician Mythos Kheris knows is wrong. That's because I decided that when her dad was telling her stories growing up and got to Ivalice he related a version of FFTA (which he made up out of whole cloth) instead of the traditional FFT-inspired narrative Because Reasons. :lol:

I actually have an idea for a future fiction piece that will leverage that, though it'll depend if I find a good moment in the plot to throw it in.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

nice

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That just makes me imagine Kheris' parents having The Marche Discourse.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

I find this tangent extremely funny because, as you all know, Tactics Advance is the ONLY FF I've ever owned myself and played to completion, and I love it dearly. There's a very small line in the Fictional Interlude before Rabanastre where Sunako gives Kheris a copy of the Legends of Ivalice concerning King Delita and mentions that the version of the Ivalician Mythos Kheris knows is wrong. That's because I decided that when her dad was telling her stories growing up and got to Ivalice he related a version of FFTA (which he made up out of whole cloth) instead of the traditional FFT-inspired narrative Because Reasons. :lol:

I actually have an idea for a future fiction piece that will leverage that, though it'll depend if I find a good moment in the plot to throw it in.

It's a great game and does a pretty good job of transposing the console conplexity of FFT gameplay onto handheld (as was the style at the time, Golden Sun) and is really only hobbled by the Judge System which is a massive pain in the arse.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The best part of the judge system was baiting the AI into violating the rules and watching them get carded.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I actually prefer the A1 law system to A2’s, because the map designers had this tendency to use the law as the bad kind of added difficulty. Sure, let’s disable all your nu mou for this boss fight where you really benefit from good ranged actions! Sure, let’s forbid being stolen FROM (already ludicrous as a concept) on a map where all your enemies can steal! Not to mention occasionally forbidding things like knockback, which means that critical hits, a thing you have no control over besides not using Attack, break the law. And its start-from-0 MP system that demands either Ethers or Blood Price for mages to get anything really strong off at anything resembling speed. And there was that one pack of characters that get two turns each before you can move…

Anyway, the storytelling in this section really does seem haphazard. I can understand rewarding the player for taking time to talk to people, but don’t go putting critical information like that in missable side paths!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm dying at the fact that the most recent update has lead to nearly three full pages of everyone being like "YO THIS QUEST SUCKS!"

Has there ever been such unity of opinion in this LP?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Universal acclaim for Solus from him being in a single cutscene?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The funniest thing is that the intro to the Orbonne raid is so dense that it took an entire LP post all by itself.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The funniest thing is that the intro to the Orbonne raid is so dense that it took an entire LP post all by itself.

It's a great raid, but I have to say, reading the post just made it obvious how incredibly over-convoluted and badly told the story is. Which is unfortunate, because the raid itself is a banger. And like others in this thread, I absolutely ended up skipping my way through it, because holy poo poo that is a lot of :words: and Sanguinia's done genuine work to make it as readable and coherent as it is presented to us.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I did these quests a while ago and largely memory-holed them, so until this update, I’d just figured that it was the fandom doing as fandom does and grossly overexaggerating the problem.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sang’s post has definitely made me understand the criticisms of this raid storyline more; at the time I just didn’t pay that much attention to the plot one way or another, but when you step back it’s definitely several steps too complicated for its own good.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yeah I quite liked this on first pass but I tend to skim read these things. On closer analysis it's crap.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I am a person that will read the most boring, annoying, piddly, pointless parts of FFXIV's story and generally enjoy myself, and even I was starting to get very, very tired by the end of all of this. I offer my theory on why Matsuno was allowed to just go so hard on all of his special detailed story: Yoshi-P is an enormous fan of his work and was happy to just let this guy that he thought was super cool go absolutely ham on the sheer volume of text here.

Anyhow, looking forward to actually DOING Orbonne so I can squee about how much I love Orbonne! It's great! Super great!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yoshi-P: And for the end of the expansion we have a raid written the same guy that made the Ivalice stuff fans love so much! Matsuno-san, how's that raid looking?

Matsuno: It's called "A Tribute To Various Final Fantasies But Mostly Tactics". It will be a glorious 35 hour finale!

Yoshi-P: You get ten quests!

Matsuno: [gasps, slams office door shut]

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FeatherFloat posted:

I am a person that will read the most boring, annoying, piddly, pointless parts of FFXIV's story and generally enjoy myself, and even I was starting to get very, very tired by the end of all of this. I offer my theory on why Matsuno was allowed to just go so hard on all of his special detailed story: Yoshi-P is an enormous fan of his work and was happy to just let this guy that he thought was super cool go absolutely ham on the sheer volume of text here.

Anyhow, looking forward to actually DOING Orbonne so I can squee about how much I love Orbonne! It's great! Super great!

Gotta agree with everything here.

The team has said multiple times that they really like Matsuno’s work so that’s definitely a big reason he was allowed to go ham.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Am I right in saying he also wrote the future content which I'm not going to say the name of but for which this raid series is a prerequisite?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lines posted:

Am I right in saying he also wrote the future content which I'm not going to say the name of but for which this raid series is a prerequisite?

You are correct indeed.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

While I agree that the Ivalice raid story is terrible, I think I'm in the minority in also hating it mechanically. It's my least favorite raid overall. There is in general way too much time wasting busy work that you can barely speed up with good execution and some mechanics I just personally hate.

Mateus has way too many adds, and managing air stacks is pointless busy work that also puts more down time on melee if toads aren't killed close to her. Hashmal is good, imo probably my favorite boss of the entire series, yes it does a lot of damage and you have to dodge and kill things on time, but none of that is actually difficult or annoying to execute, he's very fair. Rofocale spends way too much time untargetable and has that stupid phase where you have to click on stuff while the arena is invisible. Argath Thadalfus has Gnawing Dread, which I absolutely loath as a mechanic, I have never executed it correctly.

Famfrit has Tsunami, which is likely to just straight up kill someone if they get hit, very much unlike failing a typical ally raid mechanic which just gives you a vul stack, yes there are mechanics that also just kill people, but Tsunami is extra feelbad because it's technically survivable, just very likely to kill people for an attack that's appears throughout the fight. I don't really get hit by it, but it doesn't noticeably slow down the fight because some people just die like clockwork to it. What I really don't like is Dark Ewer, I guess melee can guarantee uptime if they perfectly shadow the tank and just completely give up on positionals? No way is the tank both going to dodge and bother to keep back/flank open. Belias is mostly inoffensive except it's sort of annoying if someone who doesn't know the mechanics get tethered or multiple people try to increment the clock to swing the aoes outside I guess. I've had horrible luck there with the tanks actually picking up their add during the obligatory "3 adds that tether to each other" phase though, not sure why but maybe all the dashes forcing people to dodge messes up the tanks' perception of where their party's corner is. Construct 7 also has way too much down time where it's outside the arena and dashes around. This is compounded by mechanics where various jobs can't do their proper rotation like Dispose (melees lose positionals, casters lose cast time). Or when math time happens and melees can't do anything at all while casters and ranged can just hit him normally, that's just straight up poor design. Yiazmat also has a very poorly executed 3 adds phase I think because there's a lot of forced movement beforehand so it's hard to keep track of absolute position on a circular arena, especially with Cyclone added in, I don't tank but that is another boss where this part very often has mistakes. Also phase 3 rake is terrible, love for all the melees to chase this rear end in a top hat around while it doesn't stop moving at above sprint speed.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I mean I do kind of appreciate this raid storyline’s existence for reasons that will come up down the line (including the other storyline Matsuno wrote where I agree it’s also scuffed but I don’t actually think it was his fault that time) so I can’t be a 100% hater but I do find it mystifying that this storyline was allotted so much text space and it’s still cramming way too much stuff in to do any of it justice. Like Sang mentioned I do like many of the individual moving parts in theory but it ends up being a shambling heap of underdeveloped or bafflingly placed concepts stapled onto having to fill people in on the entire plot of a different game.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ran Rannerson posted:

I mean I do kind of appreciate this raid storyline’s existence for reasons that will come up down the line (including the other storyline Matsuno wrote where I agree it’s also scuffed but I don’t actually think it was his fault that time) so I can’t be a 100% hater but I do find it mystifying that this storyline was allotted so much text space and it’s still cramming way too much stuff in to do any of it justice. Like Sang mentioned I do like many of the individual moving parts in theory but it ends up being a shambling heap of underdeveloped or bafflingly placed concepts stapled onto having to fill people in on the entire plot of a different game.

Ironically I think part of the issue is that outside of the raids themselves nothing is voiced so actually implementing all this dialogue took comparatively little effort. Compared with the superstar status Matsuno has I suspect no one ever actually did a proper editing pass on the story.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think a good way of putting it is that the story lives to be served by the world of XIV and not the other way around.

It insists on the events of FFT and XII having happened in universe to An Extent.

That has, by rule, not been the case for the other games in the series which have had Tezuka-like references sprinkled in largely for flavour.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I don't really think it's a problem that a version of Tactics and XII's story exists in XIV, per se. I'd even expect when they approached Matsuno, they either came to him of a mind of already adapting Tactics/XII (remembering once again that Dalmasca was known to be part of the world even before Doma was, though the English localization chose not to name it explicitly), or it came up in planning the expansion to begin with and was approved long before we actually reached this point of the story. I'm more of a mind that it needed a much greater editing pass - less of the history lessons stuck in the direct path of the plot would help, as would greater distribution of the story beats so the final leg isn't so full to bursting - but this is also likely where constraints of the format hit hardest, since episodic development doesn't leave room to go back and fix things and there's a need to finalize content even before the whole script is complete in the patch series.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Frankly, I think Ivalice just needed to be an expansion, and I keep expecting that, eventually, it will be. We will eventually go beyond Kugane's gates, we will go to Ivalice properly, I mean Ala Mhigo was a known quantity since 1.0 and we didn't go there till Stormblood.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not expecting an Ivalice expansion. The playerbase isn't exactly crying out for it and it's got some baggage from this alliance raid.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I feel like we’d get less of a whole Ivalice Expansion and more that we might actually get to visit more bits of Dalmasca at some point during a larger theoretical Ilsabard expac.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah. Let's leave the Ivalice Alliance in the past.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
No, no, let them make the Ivalice MSQ. I hear there's really good money in sleep aids. :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really? Cause I heard the market shrank and there was L i t t l e M o n e y in that right now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really? Cause I heard the market shrank and there was L i t t l e M o n e y in that right now.

:perfect:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think we will not get an Ivalice expansion entirely because this raid exists. Even discounting the reception to this raid, it already used the Tactics story, and they'd have to lean more on XII/Tactics Advance/Tactics A2. I don't think anyone wants the FFXIV team to have to make a version of Luso; the modelling alone would take too much time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How would a XIV version of Luso even work? Just some random kid that's like "Well, I guess I'll be a Scion." while trying to figure out how to get back to his own shard?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Also you know. There's nothing left of Ivalice to even have an expansion about. It's been dead for a long time, Dalmasca was built on its ruins and then THAT was burned to the ground.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Also you know. There's nothing left of Ivalice to even have an expansion about. It's been dead for a long time, Dalmasca was built on its ruins and then THAT was burned to the ground.

I mean, I have no connection to Ivalice from previous titles ( I've played, FF 7, 8 and then 14 ), but I would absolutely be down for an expansion that was about Dalmasca's recovery and rebuilding, including digging up Ivalician stuff and/or ancient artifacts/threats from that civilization at some point. Yes, even with the raid in the game. There's stuff that I'd rather see first, mind ( like Meracydia ), but if they'd announced that Dawntrail was going to be about Dalmasca and Further Adventures in Ilsabard, I wouldn't have been unhappy.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

vagrant story expansion

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Valentin posted:

vagrant story expansion

Only if the WoL gets an "I am the reinforcements" dialogue option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

TLM3101 posted:

I mean, I have no connection to Ivalice from previous titles ( I've played, FF 7, 8 and then 14 ), but I would absolutely be down for an expansion that was about Dalmasca's recovery and rebuilding, including digging up Ivalician stuff and/or ancient artifacts/threats from that civilization at some point. Yes, even with the raid in the game. There's stuff that I'd rather see first, mind ( like Meracydia ), but if they'd announced that Dawntrail was going to be about Dalmasca and Further Adventures in Ilsabard, I wouldn't have been unhappy.

This seems extremely unlikely to happen though given that they canceled Matsuono's third planned venture in FFXIV. Maybe if they do an Auracite expansion or something.