Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
lmao i know I've read it before but it hits every time

They're just another fuckin random country on the other side of the planet that got hosed over in the 90s and ended up hijacked by Nazis!!!

For some reason these white supremacists just can't bring themselves to believe in general human equality shaped by material circumstances, I guess I'm still the dumb one for not being able to understand why lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

supersnowman posted:

They all think it was 100% done wit human waves because that's wat the nazis said.

Naziverstehers

Nazi whisperers?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Strangely all things that can't be quantified. Weird.

Just realize they openly state this poo poo in these terms about Russians, who still resemble white people, imagine how they think western armies would fare against the perfidious Chinese.

I'm sure I don't even need to point out how extreme their racist ideas get about black people. It's just incredible to have it all laid out so openly not just by some chinless nazi, but as basically fundamental underpinning of foreign policy.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

RIP Syndrome posted:

Zaluzhnyi got out just in time.

yeah no kidding, things are starting to look slightly bad for Ukraine

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Orange Devil posted:

Just realize they openly state this poo poo in these terms about Russians, who still resemble white people, imagine how they think western armies would fare against the perfidious Chinese.

I'm sure I don't even need to point out how extreme their racist ideas get about black people. It's just incredible to have it all laid out so openly not just by some chinless nazi, but as basically fundamental underpinning of foreign policy.

Yknow maybe the bright side here is that of we do end up shooting at China, Americans will keep believing they're winning no matter how many ships get sunk

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

RIP Syndrome posted:

Zaluzhnyi got out just in time.

Zaluzhnyi was the only one to succesfully evacuate

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's just white supremacy, same as it always was, and Russians don't qualify for the "in-group"

The real power players don't consider Ukranians in the in-group either, which is why NATO has been so eager to sacrifice Ukraine to give Russia a bloody nose. It's a win-win, the expendable Ukranians get devastated and Russia gets bogged down in an unwinnable war that significantly erodes their economy and Putin's power.

That was the plan anyway, hasn't been going to plan other than the "devastated Ukraine" part.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol this guy is like half of the way to getting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5NbyHX_CO0

"I was trained in Russian tactics at Fort Irwin and they're extremely successful" "The Russians are just doing a bad job" "The fighting spirit of the Ukrainian people makes victory impossible for Russia"

:thunk:

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Feb 17, 2024

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Firing zaluzhny has probably improved zaluzhnys chances of taking power in the future if thats what he wants to do. He left command as a hero and is absolved of responsibility for the disasters to unfold. The stabbed in the back myth writes itself.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

StashAugustine posted:

Yknow maybe the bright side here is that of we do end up shooting at China, Americans will keep believing they're winning no matter how many ships get sunk

the staring at the cliffside/looking out over the landscape from the train meme but the happy guy is consuming racist war propoganda

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Here in South Africa basically no one cares about Ukraine, except the whites.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Anything else requires you to believe in idk metaphysics. The inherent, unmeasurable, superiority of the Ukrainians or inferiority of the Russians, or magic, basically, is the only way you can figure out how a defender armed primarily with 5.45mm small arms with an effective range of 300m could inflict greater casualties on an enemy with superior numbers of weapons with greater casualty producing effects across all ranges. It's the weekend so I can't actually gently caress around with it, but I'm positive you couldn't get KORA to produce those results at all, you would have to do something like tweak it so your troops were literally superhuman.

They did tweak KORA to predict a Ukraine win but I think the way they did it was by assuming the Russians would run away at the first sight of a NATO panzer.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

[stepan universe] the antisemitism also doesn't help

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I thought Stalin loved Israel

which one is it Stalin haters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

I thought Stalin loved Israel

which one is it Stalin haters

Israel is antisemitic

Stalin founded Israel

Quad errata demonstratocaster

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

after Avdiivka Ukraine is "stalin" for time until Zelensky figures out how to negotiate surrender without getting assassinated/coup'd/both

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Listening to the Blowback podcasts and I'm currently on season 1 so far. Putin is in fact more humanitarian in his conduct because it's self evident that Ukrainian cities aren't suffering from complete electricity shutdown and still have running water and other services. In comparison the Americans deliberately destroyed basically all of Iraq's electricity production and with it all the necessary civilian services when they weren't bombing baby food factories and bomb shelters full of people.

Oh and yeah Israel is being Israel at the moment. So yeah Putin is less monsterous then the Americans and Israel but since it harshes the vibes therefore it must be Russian disinformation that uses materialist measurements like electricity and working hospitals, sewage treatment, running water etc. in lieu of vibes from posters.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

what exactly do people mean when they say this do they think westerners are rich because we all own cars

From what I gather, thats exactly what is meant. Hes talked to me how people still kind lived like they did during the 30s, as like a comparison to how people lived in the US during the Great Depression, vs how they started living in the 50s. Like we've talked about how stupid it was people gave away Communism for bananas and blue jeans. But really what were saying is they gave it up for a consumer society. These people had Western propaganda about how great life was beamed at them and they wanted the treats too. Maybe some of them thought they could have the benefits of Communism and the treats, but well they wanted the treats more

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1649310750127554561?t=YfPWzaCh5eb1Xf8hpBUl2w&s=19

https://twitter.com/orikron/status/1758901071764771175?t=OZ8Xhk8L6Pfio3ITioadtg&s=19

Adolf 1-5, come in Adolf 1-5, this is Hentai Actual

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

how is the goon-looking lpr reporter doing?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Megamissen posted:

how is the goon-looking lpr reporter doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGBc6Pza3G8

One of the guys he speaks to ~5:00 was there when Russian targeted their own POW camp with HIMARs, to prove they could strike other POW camps if they wanted to.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Feb 17, 2024

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Adolf was a failed artist hellbent on destroying much of the world. Hentai is a form of art hellbent on spreading around the world. They are not the same.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
It appears Russia has launched an attack in the South, in the direction of Robotyne

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There's no one book that's like "here's why the entire history of the antiwar years was fabricated, actually Britain and France cared exclusively about anticommunism", so, like reading Chaos or Aberration in the Heartland of the Real, there's just the contour of something.

if you do find said book, please link it to me, I recently had the displeasure of having my dumb, youtube fascist educated brother* try to hit me with "eh how can you say the holocaust was bad because stalin killed all those officers in katyn?" and some reading material to steer him in another direction would be good.

that or a book massive enough I might crack his skull with in one swift downward motion.

*seriously I hate the little poo poo so much the whole "brother wars shouldn't happen" argument doesn't work on me because I wouldn't hesitate to call a JDAM strike on his rear end

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BadOptics posted:

lol, I just saw they have a trailer for the Korean War after they finish up with WW2. It's gonna be terrible. I've also noticed since 2022 they've removed the USSR's flag from the background of allied flags.

Edit: poo poo, sorry for the double post.

Their researcher and chief editor is Ukrainian. Their other channel, TimeGhost History, put out a bunch of videos soon after the war began.

On the WWII channel I noticed the shift in titles for Stalin, from "Soviet Premier" to "Soviet Premier and de facto dictator" to "Soviet Dictator".

Hitler remains "German Fuhrer".

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

One of the guys he speaks to ~5:00 was there when Russian targeted their own POW camp with HIMARs, to prove they could strike other POW camps if they wanted to.

not the brit, it was a local

Danann posted:

(from t.me/rybar/33131, via tgsa)

LPR goon still alive after 90 days of special military operationing

this guy

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

'Adolf' hailing from the SS brigade is an all timer

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I can’t wait for the NYT and Wapo stories where it’s like “yes, obviously we all knew Ukraine had a neo Nazi problem, and yes, it was endemic in the military, but wouldn’t you want fascists fighting for your side if you were invaded by a genocidal country in a full scale invasion?” and then just pause there without any sense of self-reflection, context or even try to understand it in the first place

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Kiev Independent said a week ago that the Ukrainians haven't been digging trenches or preparing a fall back line

10/10 planning.

DONETSK OBLAST – As artillery began pounding the cold-hardened ground ahead of them, two Ukrainian soldiers listened warily to shell impacts creep closer.

They were squeezed together in a roughly dug hole no deeper than half a meter, in a meager defensive position on the front line north of Avdiivka – an embattled city just outside Russian-occupied Donetsk in eastern Ukraine. It was November, and cold weather had already gripped the east of the country.

The two soldiers, Oleksandr, 42, and Anatoly, 31, sat quietly together, holding their breath. Oleksandr knew that the hole provided inadequate cover for the two men.

And as he had feared, a Russian mortar landed right next to the pair on their fifth and last night at the position. Anatoly was struck in the back by shrapnel.

"Everything happened quickly, and he was screaming," Oleksandr said, recalling how the darkness prevented him from seeing anything.

"I wrapped him (with bandages), did everything (I could)," he added, describing how he felt all over Anatoly’s body to feel the wetness of blood to work out where his comrade had been wounded.

The pair had to wait 10 hours for medical evacuation due to the relentless Russian shelling. Of two other pairs of soldiers positioned nearby, three were killed and one wounded in the same artillery attack.

The account of Oleksandr, a soldier with an anti-tank platoon of the 47th Separate Mechanized Brigade, matches other testimony that there are almost no fortified positions on the very front line near Avdiivka – further threatening the lives of those tasked with defending the city.

Many infantrymen and other soldiers deployed on the first line of defense have complained that their positions – often just holes like the one described by Oleksandr – appear to have been poorly prepared ahead of the major Russian offensive on Avdiivka. With Russian forces constantly on heavy assault, there is almost no time to build anything more.

The second line of defense, a few kilometers behind the front, is still being built, according to nearly a dozen interviewed soldiers.

While Russia continued to strengthen its defense lines even as it launched an offensive on multiple axes over the winter, Ukraine appears to have done little to prepare for a long attritional battle during its summer counteroffensive.

Given the current intensity of the Russian attacks on front-line positions at Avdiivka, soldiers say they have to make do with what they have.

This puts soldiers’ lives at heightened risk, leaving them without proper protection from Russia’s continuous attacks.

In comments to the Kyiv Independent, the Defense Ministry said that Ukraine has been constructing the fortifications near Avdiivka since 2014 and has been focusing on areas at highest risk since 2022.

However, in November 2023, President Volodymyr Zelensky called for work on fortifying Ukrainian defenses on the major fronts to be accelerated. Ukraine then created a working group to organize the building of second and third defensive lines using private contractors – with the military organizing the first defense line.

All the same, even a well-built trench needs to be constantly maintained, as Russia is using "bulldozer tactics," according to former Ukrainian colonel and military analyst Serhiy Hrabskyi.

Hrabskyi stressed that positions on the first defense line – regardless of how much time was spent on their fortification – could be quickly deformed due to the sheer force of Russia’s firepower.

These are deliberate Russian tactics: pounding Ukrainian positions with artillery and mortar fire so that only small holes are left, and the defense is compromised, the expert said. It would be suicidal for engineering troops to come forward to construct fortifications during active fighting, he added.

But no matter the conditions of the positions, the Ukrainian soldiers say that they are determined to hold the ground for as long as their commanders order them to defend Avdiivka.

"I’m ready, but I don't know if I’ll be there until the end," Oleksandr said as he spoke to the Kyiv Independent, sitting on a bed in a cottage behind the lines where he was based. Tears welling in his eyes, he said he was thinking of his daughter.

Ukraine’s military admitted on Feb. 8 that Russian forces had entered Avdiivka.

"Combat clashes are taking place not only in the residential sector in the north of the city, but also within the city’s urban development," said Dmytro Lykhovii, a spokesman for Tavria group overseeing the southeastern front.

Russian forces are applying their main efforts in the north of Avdiivka, trying to cut off the main logistic route into the city and achieve its "operational encirclement," Lykhovii said.

Now the situation in Avdiivka, a Ukrainian fortress that was briefly occupied in 2014, is more critical than ever, with Russian forces only a few kilometers away from fully encircling the city.

Ukrainian soldiers – even those defending the city since the beginning of the full-scale war – acknowledged that the fall of Avdiivka seems inevitable, given Russia’s offensive capability that is extremely costly but still effective in the long run.

Rob Lee, a military expert and Senior Fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute, agrees that "if the flanks collapse too far and the resupply roads come under too much fire, there may be a point where it becomes too difficult or costly to continue holding the city."

"If Russia commits enough resources to Avdiivka and Ukraine runs low on artillery ammunition, Russia may be able to take the city – though likely only at high cost," Lee said.

For sapper Oleksandr, the initial days of Russia’s major offensive on Avdiivka are a blur.

Deployed near the plant, Oleksandr went as close as 50 to 100 meters from the nearest Russian positions to lay anti-personnel and anti-tank mines in what he called "the dead zone." Targeting the routes often used by Russian assault groups, he worked sector by sector during the quieter moments, day and night.

But that’s not enough to stop the Russians.

"It is necessary to build a line of defense with trenches, a system of fire points, minefields, etc.," Oleksandr explained. “For us, it's like this: We have trenches, and that's it, it's enough.”

"We just need to build a defense line in which they (the Russian troops) would suffer colossal losses. It is being built, but f*ck, if it had been built (earlier)…"

Nearly two years into the full-scale war, long-lingering problems – including the lack of preparation of fortifications – are starting to become even more serious.

Along the front line, Ukrainian soldiers complain of severe shortages of ammunition, equipment, troops, and drones.

Compared to the 120 shells allocated to each tank in southern Kherson Oblast during Ukraine’s fall 2022 counteroffensive, for example, tanks are now rationed 15-20 shells each as of December, according to tank crews with the 59th brigade.

A group of soldiers from a Grad 122 mm multiple rocket launcher battery with the 59th also said the ammunition shortage only allows them to shoot one rocket at a time – while their launchers can shoot 40 in one salvo.

"We’re working like regular, barrel artillery right now," soldier Bohdan said. "Instead of 40 (rockets, we’re shooting) one."

Military experts said that the future of the battle for Avdiivka would depend on how many resources each side is able to garner for it. For Ukraine, Western military aid will thus be a crucial factor in the coming months.

Ukraine's Defense Ministry and the General Staff didn't respond to the Kyiv Independent's questions as of publication time.

Among the most serious issues reported all along the front line is that Ukraine is facing a major personnel shortage – particularly in the infantry.

To reinforce infantry units after heavy losses, Ukraine has transferred soldiers from units specialized in artillery or logistics to infantry positions, according to the soldiers interviewed by the Kyiv Independent. This means soldiers deployed on the first defensive line may not even know the basic survival skills of an infantryman, which results in even more casualties.

Serhii, a 20-year-old artilleryman with the 59th, said that his originally 64-man artillery group had sent 15 men to the front line. He said most of them had been killed in their first days there. He attributes it to the fact they "knew almost nothing" about being in the infantry. Only four out of 15 survived.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Feb 17, 2024

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

conversely

quote:

“I decided to withdraw our units from the town and move to defence from more favourable lines in order to avoid encirclement and preserve the lives and health of servicemen,” said the newly appointed army chief Oleksandr Syrskyi in a statement.

Soldiers had raised concerns that Avdiivka could be “another Bakhmut” – the city that Ukraine defended fiercely last spring, but which ultimately fell after heavy losses.

which is confusing because i thought that bakhmut was widely considered a success

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

Firing zaluzhny has probably improved zaluzhnys chances of taking power in the future if thats what he wants to do. He left command as a hero and is absolved of responsibility for the disasters to unfold. The stabbed in the back myth writes itself.
Oh, you poor thing. You've swallowed the narrative hook, shot, and tracer.
Kremlin runs disinformation campaign to undermine Zelensky, documents show

www.washingtonpost.com - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 posted:

When news first emerged last month that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was preparing to fire his top military commander, Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, officials in Moscow seemed jubilant. They had been trying to orchestrate just such a split for many months, documents show.

“We need to strengthen the conflict between Zaluzhny and Zelensky, along the lines of ‘he intends to fire him,’” one Kremlin political strategist wrote a year ago, after a meeting of senior Russian officials and Moscow spin doctors, according to internal Kremlin documents.

Russian President Vladimir Putin’s administration ordered a group of Russian political strategists to use social media and fake news articles to push the theme that Zelensky “is hysterical and weak. … He fears that he will be pushed aside, therefore he is getting rid of the dangerous ones.”

The Kremlin instruction resulted in thousands of social media posts and hundreds of fabricated articles, created by troll farms and circulated in Ukraine and across Europe, that tried to exploit what were then rumored tensions between the two Ukrainian leaders, according to a trove of Kremlin documents obtained by a European intelligence service and reviewed by The Washington Post. The files, numbering more than 100 documents, were shared with The Post to expose for the first time the scale of Kremlin propaganda targeting Zelensky with the aim of dividing and destabilizing Ukrainian society — efforts that Moscow dubbed “information psychological operations.”

Ukrainian society, however, has so far remained remarkably united since Russia’s invasion, according to opinion polls, and officials in Moscow, the documents show, sometimes expressed frustration at their inability to undermine Zelensky and foment division. One of them complained in one exchange that the Ukrainian president was like Brad Pitt, a global star with an image that couldn’t be sullied.

But with Gen. Zaluzhny now out, the front lines frozen and further military and financial support from the United States uncertain, some in Kyiv are concerned that Russia’s covert propaganda efforts could begin to erode national cohesion and morale.

“The most difficult times are ahead,” said one senior European security official who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters. “Russia survived and they are preparing a new campaign which consists of three main directions: first, pressure on the front line; second, attacks on Ukrainian infrastructure; and thirdly, this destabilization campaign.”

[...]

The effort built on an earlier project that Kiriyenko, a longtime Putin aide, had been running to subvert Western support for Ukraine, including in France and Germany, previous reporting by The Post shows. The European propaganda group was overseen by one of Kiriyenko’s deputies, Tatyana Matveeva, head of the Kremlin’s department for developing information and communication technologies, the documents show.

By the end of 2022, after Ukraine pushed back Russian forces in the Kharkiv and Kherson regions and officials in Kyiv began to talk of a major spring counteroffensive in the east and south, Kiriyenko put together a second team focused on destabilizing Ukraine itself, the documents show. That effort was headed by one of his closest deputies, Alexander Kharichev, a bureaucrat known in some Moscow circles as the “fixer” or “election handler” because he ensures that domestic elections go the Kremlin’s way.

At a Jan. 16, 2023, meeting, Kiriyenko laid out four key objectives for the Ukraine propaganda team: discrediting Kyiv’s military and political leadership, splitting the Ukrainian elite, demoralizing Ukrainian troops and disorienting the Ukrainian population, the documents show.

The team’s success was to be measured according to key indicators: They were to “lower the ratings of key personnel in Zelensky’s office, the Ukrainian government, and the command of Ukraine’s armed forces,” and increase the belief among the Ukrainian population that the country’s elite was working only for itself. “A growth in the number of government dismissals and public conflicts” would also be a sign of achievement. To increase fear and anxiety, Ukrainian war losses were to be exaggerated, the documents state.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov, Kharichev and Matveeva did not respond to detailed requests for comment on the contents of the documents.

The documents show that progress was monitored at near-weekly Kremlin meetings, where the strategists gave dashboard presentations showcasing the most widely read posts they’d planted in Ukrainian social media and tallying the overall distribution of their output. They also ran weekly opinion polls on the level of trust in Zelensky and the country’s military leadership.

Among the material they highlighted was a fabricated Facebook post claiming that the family of a fallen soldier had not received any help from the state, which garnered more than 2 million views, according to one of the dashboard presentations. According to another, a top post for the goal of disorienting the population was a fake video on Telegram claiming that the main war aim of authorities in Kyiv was “to fight to the last Ukrainian.”

[...]

The strategists were aware of the difficulty of their task. “At the current moment, we are having to enter Ukraine’s media landscape practically from zero,” one report in April said. “The pro-Russian segment has been completely purged from the mass media and social networks.”

The strategists advised developing “a network of Telegram channels in combination with Twitter and Facebook/Instagram” as the most effective way of penetrating Ukraine’s media space, noting that the Telegram audience in Ukraine had grown 600 percent over the previous year. After the invasion, Zelensky’s government had created a single source of television news, but Ukrainians had drifted away from the programming, saying Ukraine’s military struggles were not sufficiently reported or discussed.

“Telegram became the most important source of news, even more important than mainstream media,” the senior European security official said. “It’s impossible to block it.”

The Moscow strategists emphasized the need to avoid blatant pro-Russian propaganda to build trust with the audience. “It’s clear that we can’t fly with our old resources,” one of the strategists wrote on April 5 after a Kremlin meeting.

By the first week of May, a post the Kremlin strategists had planted on Facebook, saying that “Valery Zaluzhny can become the next president of Ukraine,” had garnered 4.3 million views, one of the dashboard presentations shows. The Kremlin then issued orders to create similar posts or “additional reality” — a term used by Russian officials for fake news — including reports that Western leaders were looking for a replacement for Zelensky and that Zaluzhny intended to halt the counteroffensive.

Meta, the parent company of Facebook, said in a statement referring to the Russian posts about Zaluzhny and the alleged lack of state aid for the fallen soldier that it had been “monitoring and blocking accounts, Pages and websites run by this campaign” since 2022, “including these two Pages that were quickly detected and disabled by our security team.”

Undeterred, the strategists planted a plethora of articles in Ukraine via social media, with one in May headlined “Zelensky is holding on to the throne. In Ukraine democracy is being liquidated,” the documents show. Another in June sought to play up what it claimed was the prolonged disappearance of Zaluzhny from public view, with bloggers instructed to post comments declaring: “This is why Zaluzhny disappeared: Because he could have and should have taken Zelensky’s place.”

[...]

One of the strategists’ aims, European security officials said, was to ensure that the themes placed in European social media filtered back into Ukraine, through reposts and amplification, or by being picked up by Ukrainian politicians keen to boost their profiles with provocative posts.

“They look for weak spots. … They use what they create themselves and whatever is lying under their feet,” a second European security officials said. “Everything is aimed at demoralizing people.”

The strategists also had price lists for planting pro-Russian commentary in prominent Western media and for paying social media “influencers” in the United States and Europe “willing to work with Russian clients.” The documents say the Russians were willing to pay up to $39,000 for the planting of pro-Russian commentary in major media outlets in the West.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1758857360640987639

quote:

Just 6 months ago, it was safe to say that Ukraine was the most pro-American country ln earth. Ukrainians felt that the US and the values it was thought to represent were on their team in fighting a common enemy.

Now, it's a very different story with many in shock as to how easy it was for Russia to paralyze the US government. Some just see it as a huge betrayal as hundreds of soldiers are now dying every day, unable to fight back.

If the Ukrainian Arned Forces had been told that there would be this rug-pull, strategies could have been very different, saving thousands of lives.

US credibility here is now absolutely in the toilet.

A quote from this morning was "Don't the Americans understand what happens next? It's unavoidable now that NATO soldiers and civilians will be dying"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The whole "narrative" of the popularity of Zaluzhayi is as fake as the "narrative" of Zelensky's surprise election popularity with his TV show. It's 80% manufactured.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's unavoidable now that NATO soldiers and civilians will be dying

It's funny, in a way, because imo it reveals that they still think they're in the club, rather than being expendable. They weren't used so NATO soldiers and civilians wouldn't die instead, their deaths were a way to inflict costs on Russia that NATO leadership would otherwise have to pass up.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

From what I gather, thats exactly what is meant. Hes talked to me how people still kind lived like they did during the 30s, as like a comparison to how people lived in the US during the Great Depression, vs how they started living in the 50s. Like we've talked about how stupid it was people gave away Communism for bananas and blue jeans. But really what were saying is they gave it up for a consumer society. These people had Western propaganda about how great life was beamed at them and they wanted the treats too. Maybe some of them thought they could have the benefits of Communism and the treats, but well they wanted the treats more

A lot of it is just ever rising expectations, it isn’t that the generation that came into power didn’t remember any adversity but generally them and the people under them had seen continually better circumstances since the late 1940s and America was even better.

That said, I wonder how much of it also was that right-wing narratives started being spread in Soviet society well before that. There was a growing amount of racism in parts of Soviet society, specifically fears of “race mixing”.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Adolf 1-5, come in Adolf 1-5, this is Hentai Actual

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is the fall of Adviika part of a new general offensive by Russia across the entire eastern front, or was it more of a pyrrhic victory like the western press is telling it, that they will have to rest and regroup from before making another major push?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is the fall of Adviika part of a new general offensive by Russia across the entire eastern front, or was it more of a pyrrhic victory like the western press is telling it, that they will have to rest and regroup from before making another major push?

VoicesCanBe posted:

It appears Russia has launched an attack in the South, in the direction of Robotyne

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
This War Will Threaten The Entire NATO Bloc Unless We Supply Ukraine Endless Weapons & Money vs. No It Won’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m sure others have smarter takes, but it seems to me like this is a slow roll from Russias side deeper into Donetsk where Avdeevka has both symbolic and strategic importance. Thete are still many other places where the AFU has secured, Kramatorsk for example. Remains to be seen how soft the rest of the front is, and where Russia turns now that Ukraine is struggling for ammo and manpower.

In a broader sense though, Ukraine hasn’t prepared for an attritional war, while Russia seems to be doing just fine - seemingly even benefitting from a total war footing. Russia has a pretty open runway to determine the plan, and it’s increasingly looking like it will be on the Kremlins terms on what they do next since Ukraines steam ran out in August. What’s surprising to me though is how relatively quickly they took the city in a war that’s measured in inches