Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Insert name here posted:

The first game peaked at like, 6.7k players on Steam, and the devs have stated Steam and PSN numbers were roughly equal, so about 15k total peak. Helldivers 2 on Steam alone has peaked at like 280k, not even counting the Playstation numbers. If we assume the numbers are equal between platforms for arguments sake, there's literally no reasonable way to think the devs should have been ready to receive over half a million players, given the total numbers on their last game.

280 is old numbers

https://x.com/shinobi602/status/1758940827533881590?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

queeb posted:

is the autocannon bad? i figured it'd be able to shoot off the front legs of a charger but it just bounces, and those are what seem to be the biggest hurdle for mid level groups

You can shoot the underside of their tail with the AC. A couple shots and it'll fall off and after a while they appear to just bleed to death? Similar to shooting the head off those medium sized bugs that keep comin for a while after. That being said you can always (also) bring EAT's - Its like a 80(?) second cooldown to bring 2 EATs and you only need one to break open a leg to make it vulnerable to small arms. Plus you can try and nail em with the pod too!

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 17, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Insert name here posted:

The first game peaked at like, 6.7k players on Steam, and the devs have stated Steam and PSN numbers were roughly equal, so about 15k total peak. Helldivers 2 on Steam alone has peaked at like 280k, not even counting the Playstation numbers. If we assume the numbers are equal between platforms for arguments sake, there's literally no reasonable way to think the devs should have been ready to receive over half a million players, given the total numbers on their last game.

It's well past 280k now.

edit: argh beaten

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh christ so this is what draupnir is like

this loving rules and is also terrifying

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

This game is insanely good! I just thought I'd drop a link to the PGS thread for sub.io, where we've been having a lot of fun with this game, if anyone is looking for new people to play with.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635620

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

queeb posted:

is the autocannon bad? i figured it'd be able to shoot off the front legs of a charger but it just bounces, and those are what seem to be the biggest hurdle for mid level groups

You can't* strip the armor off a charger with an AC.

What you CAN do is shoot it's leg if the armor gets stripped and kill it in like 2 shots, or shoot it in the butt when it charges past you into a rock to kill it much quicker than using your primary.

AC is rad, and is by far my prefered secondary. It answers so many problems.

Bug hole? AC.
Bot factory? AC.
Giant Mushroom Sprouting Spores Across the whole map? AC.
Illegal broadcast tower 400m away? You're never gonna believe this...AC.

*you sometimes can get the armor off the legs with an auto cannon, but it requires a very exact angle oblique from the behind, and a good bit of luck. Don't count on it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

oh christ so this is what draupnir is like

this loving rules and is also terrifying

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm gonna speedrun the game so I can burn out and stop playing it faster

my '5 year plan' for life tbh

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jakabite posted:

If you think the randomly being ragdolled halfway across the enemy base and having to fight your way out isn’t fun then I’m not sure Helldivers is necessarily the game for you.

It's mostly the near misses that cause your character to go into a limp state even though they've only taken between 0-20% of their health in damage. Repeat multiple times per firefight.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm a rebinding nerd, so just thought I'd share my rebinds after tinkering for a while, the game feels way better for me on M/KB now:

Dive: Double tap spacebar (A thousand times better than alt imo and works just fine without getting in the way of mantling)
Crouch: CTRL
Starategems: C
Spot/social menu: Alt (tap/hold)
Quick grenade: Q
Melee: V
Use: F
Heal: E

This has made my game play much more akin to stuff I'm already used to, and it feels way way better. If you find yourself frustrated at the default controls, give this a shot.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

What are the early primary weapon unlocks I should be going for? I picked up grenade launcher for secondary and that seems like it will carry me for quite a while to the Autocannon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I bought this because it looks fun and I liked the first one. Shame I can't play it though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wonder what the devs originally bargained for with this game. They must have been thinking like 100k on steam and whatever bigger number on ps5. It's crazy how well it's done lol.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

disconnected from a mission halfway through and now PS5 "servers at capacity" screen.

booourns indeed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JBP posted:

I wonder what the devs originally bargained for with this game. They must have been thinking like 100k on steam and whatever bigger number on ps5. It's crazy how well it's done lol.

(150k would have been about 10x the first game, for reference)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Seems like the problem is the live "everybody in one instance" model they're using. They're getting into concurrent player counts where that's going to be an unmanageable resource suck and the upside (everybody sees the same planet liberation numbers) is not really worth it.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

Fate Accomplice posted:

disconnected from a mission halfway through and now PS5 "servers at capacity" screen.

booourns indeed.

I took the time to do the extra objective in a solo easy mission (I'm level 3 and have no idea whats going on really) and with one minute left before extract I got booted directly to the ship lol.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CainFortea posted:

You can't* strip the armor off a charger with an AC.

What you CAN do is shoot it's leg if the armor gets stripped and kill it in like 2 shots, or shoot it in the butt when it charges past you into a rock to kill it much quicker than using your primary.

AC is rad, and is by far my prefered secondary. It answers so many problems.

Bug hole? AC.
Bot factory? AC.
Giant Mushroom Sprouting Spores Across the whole map? AC.
Illegal broadcast tower 400m away? You're never gonna believe this...AC.

*you sometimes can get the armor off the legs with an auto cannon, but it requires a very exact angle oblique from the behind, and a good bit of luck. Don't count on it.

Yeah, there's like 2-3 things you need an actual rocket launcher for. For everything else there's Mastercard Autocannon. It's a seriously versatile weapon but sometimes you just need a HEAT warhead.

Myrmidongs posted:

What are the early primary weapon unlocks I should be going for? I picked up grenade launcher for secondary and that seems like it will carry me for quite a while to the Autocannon.

Primary SMG (the second SMG in the warbonds, first is a machine pistol) is a slower firing, harder hitting version of the first rifle which will let you still use your primary if you're carrying something like the hard drive on upload missions.

Other than that: shotguns for your primaries. Shotguns are actually pretty solid.

For your drop ins: become everyone's friend with an ammo backpack. It's basically a supply calldown you wear on your back for people who have unlocked bigger weapons than you. Even better: if someone calls down the actual resupply beacon can take spare packs and put them in your backpack so you carry them with you. Just press "5" to resupply yourself or run up and press "E" (or interact on controllers I guess) to shove a yellow ammo box down a team mate's throat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't even get past a black screen when booting now lol

gently caress

Lmao

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't even get past a black screen when booting now lol

Yep, same.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

wouldn't this be the opposite of d-k, tho

Dunning Kruger is usually used to point out an incompetent thinking they're competent.

But the flip side of the effect is competent people vastly underestimate themselves but also recognize competency in others.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think i missed something with the autocannon, is there a way to reload it yourself or do you always have to have a teammate do it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gone Fashing posted:

i think i missed something with the autocannon, is there a way to reload it yourself or do you always have to have a teammate do it?

wear the backpack it comes with.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

Reload it like anything else. Just takes a bit.

Yeah, need the backpack.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Nelson Mandingo posted:

wear the backpack it comes with.

ok yeah definitely missed this then, lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net...wut-shocked.mp4

I wonder what it's like for an AA studio to completely and utterly humiliate AAA developers?

Jesus.

I figured it might cause me some problems when time came to focus on Rebirth and Dragon's Dogma. What I did not anticipate was this game lasting me until Monster Hunter Wilds.

lmao

so they got 3 or 4 times more people than even their upper limit planned for

holy gently caress

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's mostly the near misses that cause your character to go into a limp state even though they've only taken between 0-20% of their health in damage. Repeat multiple times per firefight.

smh not everyone has the STRENGTH and COURAGE to truly BE FREE.

e] also just getting black screen on startup, glad i binged the poo poo outta this game all week

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shoot I can’t even get further than a black screen after the “server is full” screen froze the first time.

3080, 3700x, windows 11

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I haven't read this thread so maybe this is super well known but on difficutly 5(?) and higher you can have "electronic countermeasures" as a modifier to a mission and cause your strategem inputs to pick something else at random, which if you're like my group and didn't know this was even a thing you're not paying attention and just throwing it anyway!

https://streamable.com/wcby9e

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basticle posted:

I haven't read this thread so maybe this is super well known but on difficutly 5(?) and higher you can have "electronic countermeasures" as a modifier to a mission and cause your strategem inputs to pick something else at random, which if you're like my group and didn't know this was even a thing you're not paying attention and just throwing it anyway!

It loving sucks! Dropped a 500kt bomb on the spawn in the first 10 seconds of a match, I thought the game was bugged for a few minutes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Actually that is amazing and loving rules

lmao

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Basticle posted:

lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It loving sucks! Dropped a 500kt bomb on the spawn in the first 10 seconds of a match, I thought the game was bugged for a few minutes.

Haha owned

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

One of the more amazing features of higher difficulties is the environmental pressure. Last night we ended up in a mission where we literally could not see poo poo against overwhelming but force it was crazy.

The one before that got so dark we had terrible vis. We were moving to the extraction knowing lots of bugs were on use, then someone lit up a hill we ran down with a bombing run and we were all like "we need to loving leave" because the hill was bugs.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's also a malus that I haven't seen until suicide mission (7) that doubled all stratagem deployment times. That also counts for the extraction shuttle, which was quite the surprise for our group. Hope you can hold out for four minutes!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

JBP posted:

One of the more amazing features of higher difficulties is the environmental pressure. Last night we ended up in a mission where we literally could not see poo poo against overwhelming but force it was crazy.

The one before that got so dark we had terrible vis. We were moving to the extraction knowing lots of bugs were on use, then someone lit up a hill we ran down with a bombing run and we were all like "we need to loving leave" because the hill was bugs.

"Alright, Extraction is on the other side of that hill. Easy run."

*Turns on light*

"...That's not a hill."

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vasudus posted:

There's also a malus that I haven't seen until suicide mission (7) that doubled all stratagem deployment times. That also counts for the extraction shuttle, which was quite the surprise for our group. Hope you can hold out for four minutes!
My few two operations on difficulty 5 (the first difficulty with modifiers) had this and I learned about the 4m shuttle the hard way :shepicide:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rolo posted:

Shoot I can’t even get further than a black screen after the “server is full” screen froze the first time.

3080, 3700x, windows 11

No one else is having issues, it's clearly a hardware issue on your end. Yeah you're gonna need to upgrade your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If you reload the auto cannon with at least one shot left in it it'll reload like 10x as fast as doing it empty