Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Combat Event is on in Ironwood. If you're high enough level, please try to knock out at least 5,000 Large Bones for the Guild Event Hall.

Someone was asking how to contribute to events, as was already mentioned, it's Guild -> Events, and if the event hasn't been fully funded, you'll see a "Requirements" with a green plus next to it (like the one next to "Charcoal" on the Cooking or Smelting pages); it has been fully funded in the below screenshot, but it's there, still:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

Ham Equity posted:

Combat Event is on in Ironwood. If you're high enough level, please try to knock out at least 5,000 Large Bones for the Guild Event Hall.

Someone was asking how to contribute to events, as was already mentioned, it's Guild -> Events, and if the event hasn't been fully funded, you'll see a "Requirements" with a green plus next to it (like the one next to "Charcoal" on the Cooking or Smelting pages); it has been fully funded in the below screenshot, but it's there, still:

While we wait for the Guild Event Hall to be funded with items (gold is already full). Should I be putting the 50K a day into Guild Hall or another building while the event is on?

I'm not really high enough level to do anything else.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

inspire posted:

While we wait for the Guild Event Hall to be funded with items (gold is already full). Should I be putting the 50K a day into Guild Hall or another building while the event is on?

I'm not really high enough level to do anything else.

The idea is to just help where and when you can. I found a stack of large bones on the market for a stupid low price and bought them, but it’s a big grind for them regardless. Once you have the ability to do more, do more. No one will look down on anyone who can’t do something yet.

A big help is going to be on the guild quests in the area of the game you are closer to working on. Those iron and silver levels are a bigger distraction to the higher leveled abilities, so any help there is awesome.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

Jhet posted:

The idea is to just help where and when you can. I found a stack of large bones on the market for a stupid low price and bought them, but it’s a big grind for them regardless. Once you have the ability to do more, do more. No one will look down on anyone who can’t do something yet.

A big help is going to be on the guild quests in the area of the game you are closer to working on. Those iron and silver levels are a bigger distraction to the higher leveled abilities, so any help there is awesome.
Thank you. I have just broken into silver. Had a heap of iron ore from letting mining go overnight so I did the iron ore this morning. Will focus on iron and silver quests after my event timer is up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm a bit of a Melvor noob, only now getting my first couple skills to 99 on my main character, but decided to check out Ancient Relics mode and it's really cool! However I have very little combat experience in the main game and I'm a little stumped on the second dungeon. I know the "hardcore" attack triangle applies so I want to use magic -- I have a full set of the fire mage gear equipped along with the golbin thief familiar for a little extra damage, but the dungeon boss is brutal, with a max hit of over 2/3rds of my HP and my best healing method is cabbage, with auto-eat unlock many gold away.

I don't think I want to mix and match with non-mage equipment to up my defenses, right? The penalties to magic for doing so seem really harsh. I've got basically every skill possible tipped out right now and maybe I could beat him but it feels so RNG-dependent I'm wondering if I'm missing something fundamental about the combat. Admittedly I don't know what quite a few of these items do, but scanning through the drop table of other monsters I can take on at the moment I didn't see anything that looked like it would push me over the edge in a mage build

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

goferchan posted:

I'm a bit of a Melvor noob, only now getting my first couple skills to 99 on my main character, but decided to check out Ancient Relics mode and it's really cool!

In ancient relics, you may need to manually eat to get through a few dungeons until you can get things going. There are supply boxes you can buy with slayer coins that have lobster in it.

As long as you have more health than the dungeons max hit, you can eat a lobster or two manually whenever you take hit. This will reset your swing so the combat might take longer, but you can also usually time it where you wait for your swing, then eat before the enemy’s next hit.

Note also you should skip some dungeons and come back to them later. Hall of Wizards for instance.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Dungeons can and should not be done in order in Relics mode, because otherwise bandit leader is going to obliterate you for ages. You can get away with magic only dungeon clears until the 40s or so combat wise, just save bandit base and hall of wizards for a bit later. Runecrafting uncaps help quite a bit with early progression. I did coop - graveyard - spiders - ship as my first four.

Food is the big early sticking point, and finding some way to address that is a major factor. If RNG cooperates, thieving to 40 solves it forever; you can also run easy slayer tasks (reroll them liberally) and buy a basic resupply for 100 lobsters. There’s also a few easy township tasks that give you a one time set of cooked fish. Worst case you can chain run the coop for food boxes but until your skills and gear are better that’s still kind of dodgy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Yeah, this helps a ton. Throwing some money into the Guild Hall (separate from the Guild Event Hall; Guild Hall will be the next building we do after the Guild Event Hall) would be helpful, but we have probably 35ish days before we build up enough Guild Credits for that, and no real way to speed that up other than people rushing the funding of events, and me being as Johnny-on-the-spot as I can about starting the events once they're funded and the mandatory downtime is over.

Also, we do have a couple of open slots in the guild (plus a couple of people who haven't logged in in like a month) if people want to play a relatively easygoing but coop idle game; we'd like to hit 15th place before the reset, and more people would definitely help. https://ironwoodrpg.com/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Thanks guys that did the trick! Appreciate the tip on doing Spiders next. Also money is nowhere near as hard to come by as I thought, that lesser relic that gives gems when mining is insanely lucrative and with that it was easy to stack up a mil for auto-eat so I can dip into thieving.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FAPI, made it to Ascension 5 yesterday and had enough to buy the Phoenix upgrade from the soul shop immediately, about 24 hours later I'm already at ~6000 Reinc lol. I know it always slows down a lot towards the end as levels are harder to come by but this one feels like it'll be a whole lot shorter thanks to that upgrade. I beat the thief challenge but sadly the Bonus on Rarity upgrade mentioned a couple pages ago requires A10 (!) so it'll be a while till I can do that but man that sounds nice.

Edit: Actually looks like maybe beating the challenge is enough to get that bonus? I'm not entirely sure what "Item Rating rolls on gear once not per stat" means

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 15, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is anyone else having trouble loading Melvor? I tried to log on and it refused to allow me to load it. There is also a note at the top saying that it's the demo version now.

E. Never mind, I guess it just fixed itself

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2024

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

explosivo posted:

Edit: Actually looks like maybe beating the challenge is enough to get that bonus? I'm not entirely sure what "Item Rating rolls on gear once not per stat" means

It means that instead of rolling the range on each stat individually, it rolls a single time for the range on the entire item. It makes it vastly more likely to get an overall high quality item.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is anyone else having trouble loading Melvor? I tried to log on and it refused to allow me to load it. There is also a note at the top saying that it's the demo version now.

E. Never mind, I guess it just fixed itself

Their third party licensing service has been having issues the last few days, just force close and relaunch the client whenever it happens.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gathering event is on in Ironwood.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Been playing quite a lot of Idle Slayer the last few months, and I'm noticing a very clear slowdown in progress whilst saving up for the binoculars. I know there's still a lot of content to go, so I'm curious if it's gonna remain this slow from now on.

Also what's the game everyone's posting about? It feels like I'm a thread for a specific game rn ngl.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
How much effort is Ironwood to keep playing after you get started? And is there a beginner guide?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

VictualSquid posted:

How much effort is Ironwood to keep playing after you get started? And is there a beginner guide?

Less than 5 minutes a day. At most.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

Less than 5 minutes a day. At most.

I feel like the quests and challenges take a little longer than five minutes, but not much. I would say closer to ten minutes a day.

It's very low maintenance. And the gold you get from being in a good guild is quite helpful.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 17, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How high do people usually upgrade gear in FAPI? I'm running into this problem where I bump up my gear to 20-30 when I reach an IR plateau, usually after grinding with the IR potion active, then when I start finding better gear that's rated higher I have to upgrade those to the same level to make it worth switching to. I guess it's not really a problem necessarily I just find myself in situations where I keep finding marginally better base level gear that needs a ton of upgrading which uses a lot of mats. I suppose mats are becoming less of an issue now that I have a much better scrap ratio so is this just kind of how it goes? Is it a waste to even bother bringing gear up to that level in the first place?

Edit: Actually I guess I am realizing in these situations I don't always have to upgrade to the same level to surpass the stats of the thing I'm replacing.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 17, 2024

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I usually upgrade my gear to 29 and replace it when either I get to a new zone with new stats I want on my gear or get to where the gear dropping has about twice the IR of the gear I upgraded. Often these two conditions go hand in hand.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Ninth Layer posted:

I usually upgrade my gear to 29 and replace it when either I get to a new zone with new stats I want on my gear or get to where the gear dropping has about twice the IR of the gear I upgraded. Often these two conditions go hand in hand.

Gotcha, thank you. That's kinda what I was doing as well so good to hear I'm on the right track. When I'm pushing to the end of an ascension and can be reasonably sure I won't be getting anything better I'll dump everything into what I have.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ham Equity posted:

I feel like the quests and challenges take a little longer than five minutes, but not much. I would say closer to ten minutes a day.

It's very low maintenance. And the gold you get from being in a good guild is quite helpful.

I haven't done the dailies in forever tbh and still find it fine. I stare at the pile of scrolls now and just do something else.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

Is goons the goon guild? I sent a join request.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Black Griffon posted:

Also what's the game everyone's posting about? It feels like I'm a thread for a specific game rn ngl.

People are posting about multiple games. The ones most recently mentioned are ironwood, melvor idle, farmers against potatoes idle, and your chronicle.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 17, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Lilli posted:

People are posting about multiple games. The ones most recently mentioned are ironwood, melvor idle, farmers against potatoes idle, and your chronicle.

Got it. The reason for my confusion was that cursory google search didn't reveal anything about Ironwood, and with abbreviations I hadn't seen before I wondered if Ironwood was an in-game location in another game or something. When I searched more specifically it started making sense.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

Is goons the goon guild? I sent a join request.

I'm not home, but I'll accept once I get there. VictualSquid, or did you use a different name l?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I'm not home, but I'll accept once I get there. VictualSquid, or did you use a different name l?

Same name, yeah.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

oh gently caress, I'm on Asc #16 and I just learned this, hahahahaha

for another moment like this, peep my terrible Asc times:

Notice the BIG improvement from #10 to #11? THAT was the point I even bothered to look into running more than the Pet Team I had setup waaaay back in Asc #1 that only boosted Residue.

Not my proudest realization.

I think they adjust some of the thresholds with patches? It definitely felt like things went a lot faster for a while after the outpost patch dropped.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think they adjust some of the thresholds with patches? It definitely felt like things went a lot faster for a while after the outpost patch dropped.

Absolutely. I'd have ascensions as long as 55 days, and after outpost they've been like a week long.

Sayara fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 18, 2024

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Any time new content gets added it tends to drastically speed up the next few ascensions. You can see exactly when outposts came out based on my times.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Are expedition tokens supposed to be this hard to get in FAPI? I feel like I'm getting maybe two or three at a time for an hour long expedition.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are expedition tokens supposed to be this hard to get in FAPI? I feel like I'm getting maybe two or three at a time for an hour long expedition.

I've been running 8 hour expeditions and typically getting back 15 or so which yeah does not feel like a lot. There's upgrades in the Unique French Fries Corner under farming I grabbed one of that increases expedition tokens earned so I'm sure that helps, but also I have to imagine the later expeditions probably give more?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They may have, but I guarantee that bump was me ignoring the Pets feature after setting up for Residue only - I wasn't running an XP team and a Rez team, until then!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, I am getting started in Ironwood since yesterday and I feel like I lack bones. Got most of my skills to level 10, but enchanting and alchemy need much much more bones then grinding the fighting skills to level 10 gave me. Am I doing something wrong or is that intended?

Sayara
May 10, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Yes. They are and will be a pain in the rear end to get.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

VictualSquid posted:

So, I am getting started in Ironwood since yesterday and I feel like I lack bones. Got most of my skills to level 10, but enchanting and alchemy need much much more bones then grinding the fighting skills to level 10 gave me. Am I doing something wrong or is that intended?

This is intended, your woodcutting and mining will also raise way higher than the skills they feed into. Some skills are just harder to level than others.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm really enjoying Your Chronicle but I feel like I hit a wall at the Tea Party: I don't have any actions that give me Pork, and all my combat zones are foo far above my survivability/damage output. My feeling is that I should be grinding out Dark Rituals and Rituals to boost my rank, but I don't get a ton of dark ritual progress until I'm looking at 24h+ runs. Any suggestions?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Lib and let die posted:

I'm really enjoying Your Chronicle but I feel like I hit a wall at the Tea Party: I don't have any actions that give me Pork, and all my combat zones are foo far above my survivability/damage output. My feeling is that I should be grinding out Dark Rituals and Rituals to boost my rank, but I don't get a ton of dark ritual progress until I'm looking at 24h+ runs. Any suggestions?

Pork comes from the orc boss, and dark ritual as often as you can so you get more inspiration from levelling.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lib and let die posted:

You should be able to run the other two combat zones fairly easily, especially the first one, but even then it's worth it to just grind through them repeatedly to build up research (allows you to summon monsters and raises caps on current monsters) and seeds (stat bonuses). Make sure that you are dumping seeds into your stats and your summoned monster's stats. Also, for tougher fights, it's a good idea to keep you at the end of the party list so that your summons can tank hits for you.

However I don't think you have to 100% the tea party to keep going, you should have enough Destiny to leave the village without feeding the Bully pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm a dumbass and accidentally clicked "start" on a gathering event instead of a crafting event.

Which is to say a gathering event is on in Ironwood.