Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Spanish Manlove posted:

No one else is having issues, it's clearly a hardware issue on your end. Yeah you're gonna need to upgrade your stuff.

I’ve been feeling due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Had a really frustrating 'bug' earlier. Did a solo mission where I had to drag a HDD all the way across the map, got to (I think) the final step where I had to 'manually adjust' a radar dish and, because I didn't have anyone on the other terminal to press go when the dish was in the right spot, I got stuck. No way to disengage from the terminal, no way to kill myself, and no bugs around to kill me. Could only open the map and turn the radar dish with A and D.

Had to watch the last 15 minutes tick away hopelessly and then failed the mission.

Something similar can happen with the double-locked vault doors - there doesn't seem to be a way to 'disengage' with the button after it's been pressed, even accidentally.

Be careful out there, soldiers!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TracerBullet posted:

Had a really frustrating 'bug' earlier. Did a solo mission where I had to drag a HDD all the way across the map, got to (I think) the final step where I had to 'manually adjust' a radar dish and, because I didn't have anyone on the other terminal to press go when the dish was in the right spot, I got stuck. No way to disengage from the terminal, no way to kill myself, and no bugs around to kill me. Could only open the map and turn the radar dish with A and D.

Had to watch the last 15 minutes tick away hopelessly and then failed the mission.

Something similar can happen with the double-locked vault doors - there doesn't seem to be a way to 'disengage' with the button after it's been pressed, even accidentally.

Be careful out there, soldiers!

Pressing E again should always just disengage you

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've been getting stuck a lot while looting stuff from stashes. My person will just freeze and someone else will have to come and melee me. Which will send my helldiver flying/clipping through the bottom of the map and then through the bunker stash and landing on the other side

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've been getting stuck a lot while looting stuff from stashes. My person will just freeze and someone else will have to come and melee me. Which will send my helldiver flying/clipping through the bottom of the map and then through the bunker stash and landing on the other side
Yeah as far as I can tell this is a server thing because it's trying to grant you the rewards but because the servers are totally hosed right now it freezes you for like 30s, or until someone knocks you down, or it registers and gives you the reward, whatever comes first.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Pressing E again should always just disengage you

Pressed every button at my disposal to no avail - maybe it was just a bug rather than a developer oversight?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

JBP posted:

I'm convinced that a lot of people are playing this game with a bad attitude and not taking to heart that each dude is a new hell popsicle.

I saw someone post that the voice changing when a new helldiver came in (specifically female) was immersion breaking.

E: the game should really track some stats for your top 10 helldivers by time alive and objectives achieved or something. Would be pretty funny to have a record of the greatest ever diver who loved for 28 minutes and paved the way for some serious ore mining.

I've set my voice to non-random, because I've decided that the new helldivers are my clones

Durzel posted:

Is it safe to say that I shouldn’t really expect to get any Super Rare samples playing solo? Tried a “Suicide Mission” and couldn’t find any (and eventually got wrecked). I also dropped in on a 3 man Helldive difficulty game and we did three missions and didn’t pick up one.

There's a big buttplug rock, once you see it you'll know it every time. The super samples are in a hollow at the bottom of that. I'm not confident it's on every map however. So far I've just noticed that it tends to be around the edges, and this might be false pattern recognition but for me it's generally been in the northeast part of the map

Typical Pubbie posted:

Unlocked the DMR Counter-Sniper and it's worse than the old DMR in every way. The old DMR is pretty bad, too. A lot of weapons in this game suck on anything higher than medium difficulty. The incessant ragdolling sucks too. A significant number of things about this game actually suck pretty hard.

Excellent username/post combo

Basticle posted:

I haven't read this thread so maybe this is super well known but on difficutly 5(?) and higher you can have "electronic countermeasures" as a modifier to a mission and cause your strategem inputs to pick something else at random, which if you're like my group and didn't know this was even a thing you're not paying attention and just throwing it anyway!

https://streamable.com/wcby9e

A quick way to know without looking up is that if the little strategem ball is red it's an orbital/eagle, blue for sentries and equipment I believe. So at least you can avoid blowing yourself and your teammates up.

I hate that modifier tbh. Most modifiers are super painful.

TracerBullet posted:

Pressed every button at my disposal to no avail - maybe it was just a bug rather than a developer oversight?

Probably another freeze bug. I've gotten several even before this weekend (when I'm not even playing really) where opening the little pods with a salute would freeze my character in place for a while.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

One of the more amazing features of higher difficulties is the environmental pressure. Last night we ended up in a mission where we literally could not see poo poo against overwhelming but force it was crazy.

The one before that got so dark we had terrible vis. We were moving to the extraction knowing lots of bugs were on use, then someone lit up a hill we ran down with a bombing run and we were all like "we need to loving leave" because the hill was bugs.

yeah, poo poo like this is so great. One of the early acid rain bug planets was like this at night, effluvium everywhere, fog, 0 visability and total chaos to accomplish the most simple of tasks.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

queeb posted:

If you reload the auto cannon with at least one shot left in it it'll reload like 10x as fast as doing it empty

Same for every gun. Reload before you're empty and you don't have to charge it. Reload with exactly one round left and you don't lose any ammo, either.

The last few shots in a magazine have red tracers instead of yellow ones, if you want to get good at it. The attention to detail in this game is insane.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Laser cannon will kill spore spewers btw. So thats nice

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

oh it's more than that, if you have a dualsense on PC, the haptics on the trigger change tension as the gun runs low on ammo and the trigger goes slack if it's empty

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I love the bug spore tree things that gently caress up visibility on the whole map. One or two grenades and suddenly you're playing on a different map, it seems!

Although one time I blew one up and there was still fog everywhere. There may have been another one in the map though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

The dualsense is so cool, such a great little feature. Shooting the different weapons in Horizon FW was neat too, they all felt different

Edit
Does picking up a EAT drop your auto cannon/? I'm considering running both in pub games just to have coverage for everything

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Servers at capacity retrying....

Left it a few weeks but still struggling.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

queeb posted:

The dualsense is so cool, such a great little feature. Shooting the different weapons in Horizon FW was neat too, they all felt different

Edit
Does picking up a EAT drop your auto cannon/? I'm considering running both in pub games just to have coverage for everything

Yeah, because it is a support weapon. But it won't get rid of your backpack! Which can be really appealing if you want heavy explosives but still want a backpack for something else.

Also, your dropped weapons will be on the minimap. So when the game ragdolls or respawns you a mile away from your gun, you can quickly put a map pin on it. This may cause some occasional angry confusion about pins for nothing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was in the login screen for an hour this morning and now the game won't display at all when I boot it lol.

Guess I'll just wait for America to go to sleep. Always works.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

I was in the login screen for an hour this morning and now the game won't display at all when I boot it lol.

Democracy never sleeps

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

JBP posted:

This is me now. Sucks but they did say they were dreading the weekend.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

redreader posted:

I love the bug spore tree things that gently caress up visibility on the whole map. One or two grenades and suddenly you're playing on a different map, it seems!

Although one time I blew one up and there was still fog everywhere. There may have been another one in the map though.

I had a Suicide Mission run where all 3 sub objectives were spore spewers. And it was raining.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
not-mars mission with three spore spewers, dust storms, and the sun was low so any time you turned in its direction the entire screen became a glare

chargers were only visible a foot away from you, it was an absolute nightmare

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Diephoon posted:

I had a Suicide Mission run where all 3 sub objectives were spore spewers. And it was raining.

One of the planets had rain and fog active :shepface:

For anyone struggling with scrambled strategems, it shows you what you were given before you throw it

You'll still forget and drop a 500kg bomb on your team instead of a railgun, but at least I warned you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This game's environments really are the star of the show for me. Glorious stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

victrix posted:

For anyone struggling with scrambled strategems, it shows you what you were given before you throw it

Thank you for this. :negative:

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
What's everyone think of this games staying power? I was thinking about getting it and I know it's huge right now but for whatever reason, to me at least, it looks like a game that is gonna die out fairly fast. I am probably wrong and I can't really put into words why I feel that way but I just do.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This game's environments really are the star of the show for me. Glorious stuff.

Time progressing thru a mission caught me offguard. Doing a chill little robo genocide in the sun and then it starts getting pitch black dark and raining and apparently Automatons have elite stealth tech because Hulks really should not be this lightfooted. You'd think a robet that big would make some stomping sounds.

Virginia Slams posted:

What's everyone think of this games staying power? I was thinking about getting it and I know it's huge right now but for whatever reason, to me at least, it looks like a game that is gonna die out fairly fast. I am probably wrong and I can't really put into words why I feel that way but I just do.

These kinds of games usually fall back to a decent staying pop after the initial hype and the people only motivated by "number go up" stop playing. People who actually enjoy the core gameplay loop tend to stick around.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ stealth lubrication! ^ ^ ^

Virginia Slams posted:

If drg is any indication, you're way off base.

If the game play is good (it is) and the devs want to support it (they are) and the monitization isn't awful (it's not), you've got a recipe for a very long tail.

With the hype and absolute bonkers numbers they have, it's very likely that this game has legs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the attention to detail of both the environments and the animations is such a powerful combination

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Virginia Slams posted:

The devs are saying they're doing fortnightly content so I doubt it. If they drop new weapons, mechs and missions on the reg it's going to own for a long time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man it would be nice if you got more downtime in-between bot drops or bug nests. As is, every difficulty has the same intensity because you're being attacked near constantly and I don't feel like playing much at once. Is anyone else sort of exhausted by the constant reinforcements?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I love to play my favorite game, permanent silent black screen

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Virginia Slams posted:

Who cares? It's 40 bux, incredibly fun and awesome and dope, and will always have at least some hardcore fans hanging around. Why spend time arguing with your own brain about whether it's an optimal investment or whatever? I've put 60 hours into it over the last 9 days, the investment payed for itself on day 2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LazyMaybe posted:

I love to play my favorite game, permanent silent black screen

Same!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CJacobs posted:

Man it would be nice if you got more downtime in-between bot drops or bug nests. As is, every difficulty has the same intensity because you're being attacked near constantly and I don't feel like playing much at once. Is anyone else sort of exhausted by the constant reinforcements?

You can avoid a lot of in-between combat by just being stealthier. Avoiding patrols, not shooting stuff unncessarily, and if you do engage stuff kill the entire group fast so they can't call for reinforcements. Don't loiter around objectives after youve cleared them - you dont need to kill every single bot when you can just start moving towards the next objective or POI

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Virginia Slams posted:

It definitely has enough value to be worth the $40 so who care

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Last night I was with a group which was not very objective focused. We ended up near an SSD dropoff and another player was running around with the SSD killing robots. I tried to tell them in chat they could drop it off at the terminal but they weren't paying attention. When the others began to move away from the objective I decided to experiment, and as it turns out, punching another player makes them drop the SSD. I felt bad about basically mugging another player but at least we were able to get the objective

Soon after I noticed the same person was low on HP and figured I could make up for my earlier violence by gifting them a stim but I hit the wrong button and punched them again

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You never really want to get into drawn-out firefights on higher difficulties unless it's for completing an objective. Even then, if it gets very hot it can be better to just leave and circle around to complete it later.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

this game is euro-EDF and I mean that as high praise

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pharmaskittle posted:

this game is euro-EDF and I mean that as high praise
it's like EDF with approximately 100x more polish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Fishstick posted:

You can avoid a lot of in-between combat by just being stealthier. Avoiding patrols, not shooting stuff unncessarily, and if you do engage stuff kill the entire group fast so they can't call for reinforcements. Don't loiter around objectives after youve cleared them - you dont need to kill every single bot when you can just start moving towards the next objective or POI

we did a 2 man Helldive against bots earlier and I stuffed multiple flare attempts by bots with marksman rifle headshots. we cleared the main objective and I think we maybe only cleared on light fab on the way that was directly in our path and between other more dangerous bases

if you're quick (light armor), use cover and prone, and tag the on-foot bots at range with an accurate weapon you can avoid a ton of combat

smoke is also your best friend for disengaging in one piece

I should note in a 4 stack of competent friends we'll do the primary and then scour the map with high explosive orbitals to pick up the super samples and clown every objective and all the minor loot caches for credits/medals/req, but if you're playing in a smaller group on max difficulty vs bots, stealth is definitely helpful