Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Tree Bucket posted:

Matriarchal hyper-eugenicist gynocracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried, and except for three thousand years of tyrannical rule by a dickless worm with a rascal scooter
-Space Winston Churchill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

To be fair... posted:

God emperor of dune was the best book.

Ehh, second best, but definitely underrated. It's really a shame that it followed Children, where a bunch of people probably noped out.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The best Du e book is Paul of Dune by author Brian Hrebert

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If God Emperor of Dune somehow linked directly from Messiah, the series would be much better.

I really, *really*, don't like children of dune.

Alia's spirit possession/descent into full blown abomination could have been interesting, but it's not executed well at all. The tigers are really dumb. Everything about Ghanima and Leto relating to the ADULT MIND IN BABY BODY dynamic just sucks all the good will out o f my soul.

gently caress that book.
I honestly only like the sections where Jessica turns the guy into a bene gesserit simp

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

the ending of Children is cool

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kiimo posted:

this is what Zendaya wore to the premiere.

CThruPO.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

free hubcaps posted:

FRANKS NOTES

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Riot Bimbo posted:

If God Emperor of Dune somehow linked directly from Messiah, the series would be much better.

I really, *really*, don't like children of dune.

Alia's spirit possession/descent into full blown abomination could have been interesting, but it's not executed well at all. The tigers are really dumb. Everything about Ghanima and Leto relating to the ADULT MIND IN BABY BODY dynamic just sucks all the good will out o f my soul.

gently caress that book.
I honestly only like the sections where Jessica turns the guy into a bene gesserit simp

Gurney Halleck clowning on the Jacuruku lads and then leaving via worm was cool as gently caress.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

:mods:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah Children is fine. Although I've never understood why, if Leto II and Ghanima are obviously these insane intelligences with supernatural powers beyond even Paul, why do the "adults" set up a regency for the imperium? I mean I get that that's how it worked in medieval times when the new heir was a child, but Leto and Ghanima can't be said to be "children" in any meaningful sense of the word, they're basically just short.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

FBS posted:

the ending of Children is cool

Yeah I'm a little bummed because no franchise is every going to go that far but I'm super down for superman Leto wrecking sietches, punching open doors, doing ceiling jumps and drinking poison for the lol.

I'd S a D to see that on the big screen. I'd S YOUR D. I'd S every D in this room but it'll never come to fruition.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah Children is fine. Although I've never understood why, if Leto II and Ghanima are obviously these insane intelligences with supernatural powers beyond even Paul, why do the "adults" set up a regency for the imperium? I mean I get that that's how it worked in medieval times when the new heir was a child, but Leto and Ghanima can't be said to be "children" in any meaningful sense of the word, they're basically just short.

It made sense when they were literal babies who could only maybe communicate with Alia. The whole book is them proving they were competent by overthrowing their corrupt regent and figuring out how to not become abominations themselves.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Jewmanji posted:

why do the "adults" set up a regency for the imperium?

They're still subject to normal human growth patterns. A newborn can't talk or walk no matter how smart it is, somebody has to be in charge for at least the first few years.

Also I don't think their supernatural powers are common knowledge, and an obvious child that behaves like an adult might just be interpreted as an adult behind the scenes coaching/controlling things. Not a good look if you want to maintain legitimacy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bubblyblubber posted:

strange women living in space performing pussy magic is no basis for a system of government!

I'm willing to give it a shot

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

free hubcaps posted:

My introduction to Dune was Paul of Dune that I bought at an airport. I don't have a point to make here other than just wanting to share this repressed trauma with someone. It was, I guess, one of the books of all time.

lightrook fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 18, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Prolonged Panorama posted:

They're still subject to normal human growth patterns. A newborn can't talk or walk no matter how smart it is, somebody has to be in charge for at least the first few years.

Right but in the book they’re supposed to be like 10 or something? So presumably they’ve been speaking for 8.5 years or whatever. I mean I guess the point is the regency doesn’t relinquish power easily, and neither of the twins really seem to covet it.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

What public or even Imperial bureaucracy is going to accept (joint? that's another big question) rule by precocious toddlers, even if they believe their father was a god? The fremen at least understand the idea of abomination and would likely not submit to one(s) so young/possibly possessed, same with the BG. Nobody is eager to put/see them on the throne, for multiple reasons. The book starts when the succession becomes the main political issue, even if it's assumed to still be several years off.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
All the generation knowledge in a body that hasn’t gone through puberty yet. Interact with more 10 year olds and you’ll know even the super smart ones, still need an adult with a physically fully formed brain.

Edit:

Wait, don’t interact with kids. Just take my word for it.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Admiralty Flag posted:

Ehh, second best, but definitely underrated. It's really a shame that it followed Children, where a bunch of people probably noped out.

This reminds me of a weird interaction once-
I was reading I think Messiah outside on a bench. A person and her friend stopped to get my attention. She asked excitedly “are you reading Dune?” And I laughed and showed her the book. She then said “you have to read at least until book 5, they are my favorite books!

Her friend was very confused.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Got 6 tickets for me and the lads to the IMAX showing, $120

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect if they did get up to Children of Dune they'd age the twins to 17 or so (played by 25 year olds)

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Just got a pair of tickets to the Fan premier at my local theatre for Feb. 25th!

Its not the giant IMAX, it's the "We have IMAX at home" version, but whatever, I'm psyched!

Some people call me spice cowboy. Some people call me clairvoyant stud. Some people call me Muad Dib, cause I unleashed a jihad of blood. -A youtuber named Beksinski,

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thedangergroove posted:

I just think a role and a star's face that were ripe for some cgi weirdness, it'd be that. More info here: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1758202725718700342
They're supposedly a major character they didn't want to spoil.

Just let me check on google to see who she's playing

https://twitter.com/jgrebes/status/1759336367136600429

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hollering ‘that’s coy’ at a screening of Dune: Part Two, the adaptation of Dune Book III that is also a sequel to Dunc

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

it's the real mccoy

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Like for a wife guy who likes Dune

I love Dune

Dune my wife

(History will call us wifeguys)

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
"Dune my wife...PLEASE"

yadda tatta tadda, yadda tatta tadda, yadda tatta dada--eeeyaay!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
some high quality spice beers in the background there

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah I'm a little bummed because no franchise is every going to go that far but I'm super down for superman Leto wrecking sietches, punching open doors, doing ceiling jumps and drinking poison for the lol.

I'd S a D to see that on the big screen. I'd S YOUR D. I'd S every D in this room but it'll never come to fruition.

The miniseries (series) did actually get as far as Children, though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

feedmegin posted:

The miniseries (series) did actually get as far as Children, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Is that James McAvoy wrapped in sandtrout?

Gonna be seeing the Lynch film in the theater tonight!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Battle pug on the big screen!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Is that James McAvoy wrapped in sandtrout?

yep out there in the harshest planet shirtless not givin a gently caress livin his best worm life

probably riding around in this blastin ancient Beach Boys tunes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You're damaging the planetary ecology :argh:

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oh hi Liet

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh hey, old man, I am planetary ecology. Stay groovy *peels out*

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
oh look a lesson in "not damaging the planetary ecology" from mister "let's irreversibly alter the planetary ecology"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tree Bucket posted:

Matriarchal hyper-eugenicist gynocracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried.
-Space Winston Churchill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

She looks like Alita: Battle Angel.

Please do not disparage Gally or Rosa in my presence with such a comparison ty