Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

Thinking of a food web diagram (anyone know of existing templates please point me to them) showing the input of daily sunflower seeds into a bird feeder, and thus into the larger food web. The gray squirrels that feed on the ground for example, and then the animals and birds that feed on gray squirrels, etc. This diagram could also show connections to trees and the overall forest, if you can show how a healthy bird and animal population directly benefits trees and other plants, fungi, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Whoa.

And then some kind of explanation of calories in/out, or percentage of calories. AKA impact on the foodweb.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Had to put cumaceans right next to the sea squirts eh

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

bird with big dick posted:

Had to put cumaceans right next to the sea squirts eh

god made the world and he doesn’t make mistakes :woof:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
thinking to fly down to Mexico for some dental work on the CHEAP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

thinking to fly down to Mexico for some dental work on the CHEAP

canada is phasing in a federally funded dental care program and people are PISSED due to muh tax dollars

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its wild to see people love universal health care from OHIP and in the same breath say "but my employer provided dental insurance? ftw????"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I ostensibly had dental at my last two jobs (i sure as gently caress paid for it according to ADP) but in 5 years at one place and 3.5 at the other not once could I ever acquire a dental insurance card

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

canada is phasing in a federally funded dental care program and people are PISSED due to muh tax dollars

it's very cool how teeth are somehow considered basically non essential parts of your health by insurance. Thanks to genetics I'm looking at a bunch of implants in the coming years and they're insanely expensive apparently :waycool:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
like all british peoples, canadians have a natural love of austerity

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

thinking to maybe go work at the 4th largest gamma irradiator in the world

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MrQwerty posted:

thinking to maybe go work at the 4th largest gamma irradiator in the world

los Alamos?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

nah it's a private company, they do aseptic cleanroom/medical product sterilization with their cobalt source

i don't really have the degrees to get paid paid at Sandia or LANL, nor am I willing to start doing things like constant random UAs (again) and polygraphs
lol the second my dad put in his request for early retirement (3 months early lol!) after Sandia stole all his PTO, they polygraphed him one last time

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 17, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

That seems cool. And you might get some superpowers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

That seems cool. And you might get some superpowers.

Or cancer

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MrQwerty posted:

nah it's a private company, they do aseptic cleanroom/medical product sterilization with their cobalt source

i don't really have the degrees to get paid paid at Sandia or LANL, nor am I willing to start doing things like constant random UAs (again) and polygraphs
lol the second my dad put in his request for early retirement (3 months early lol!) after Sandia stole all his PTO, they polygraphed him one last time

lmbo

i interned at oak ridge for a summer but no polygraph thank god

actually when we toured one of the nuclear research storage areas the guy in charge of the whole thing (safely storing various dangerous materials) said he got his degree from ITT Tech so maybe you do have all the degrees you need lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

actually when we toured one of the nuclear research storage areas the guy in charge of the whole thing said he got his degree from ITT Tech so maybe you do have all the degrees you need lol

before they got in trouble ITT were supposedly a good school, my dad hired quite a few people who'd go on to become no-poo poo rocket scientists from ITT and my tech at Sennheiser was an IPC3 Trainer slumming it there, because he graduated from ITT and then a year later they got scandalized and Intel refuses to hire anyone with a degree from there now.

Trust me, though, everything I've done the last decade is engineering or engineering-adjacent and an ITT degree is less of a joke to that crowd than a history degree from a state school.

Chemo drugs to nuclear ovens would definitely be an interesting career progression as far as my cleanroom skillset goes, though.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 17, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't understand why the polygraph stuff?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
government background investigators have a natural love of polygraphs

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hollismason posted:

I don't understand why the polygraph stuff?

Sandia and LANL are extremely defense-related national labs

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ah okay I see. What kind of questions though would they ask you? ARe you a spy? Are you a foreign agent? That sort of stuff?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hollismason posted:

Ah okay I see. What kind of questions though would they ask you? ARe you a spy? Are you a foreign agent? That sort of stuff?

I've had to do interviews with FBI agents for a few friends' clearance reviews and they generally focused on my relationship to them, timelines of our relationship, and pointed questions about finances, drug and alcohol abuse. I'd imagine polygraphs follow the same lines.

They're basically putting together a risk assessment on how easy it'd be to buy poo poo you know and/or have access to from you/compromise you into a position where you would sell info. Polygraphs are horseshit compared to actual human intel, but those guys fuckin' love 'em.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 17, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They ask about stuff that could be used to blackmail you. Used to be they’d ask if you were gay or a communist or had money trouble. Now they ask if you’re a trump supporter or have ever said the n word.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i thought i was gonna nap but it didn't happen so instead i nuked a burrito and had a cup of v8 juice and vodka

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The last clearance check FBI agent I met with was a very attractive woman around my age, we got coffee at a Starbucks and then I corroborated my entire history of smoking pot in college with my buddy (as I was told to do), my knowledge of his two tours in Iraq and general military career, how we met and why we continue to be friends, how close I am with his family, and that he generally refuses to touch alcohol and has no gambling problems that I'm eminently aware of.

poo poo went off without a hitch for him, so

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 17, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hollismason posted:

it’s mostly a deterrent to keep from wasting resources investigating people who are sketchy enough to get freaked out by a polygraph. beyond that, if something has already come up during the investigation that you haven’t disclosed in your paperwork, they’ll ask about that to see if you own up to it. if something comes up later during the investigation they’ll pull you in for another polygraph for the same reason

it’s not at all like being like grilled by the cops :woof:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
the worst part by far is they have you on a continuous blood pressure arm tourniquet, my arm was hurting so bad after a few min

don’t know how they get a good reading on anyone when you’re that uncomfortable

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Bad Purchase posted:

the worst part by far is they have you on a continuous blood pressure arm tourniquet, my arm was hurting so bad after a few min

They don't.

https://www.apa.org/topics/cognitive-neuroscience/polygraph

Visions of Valerie fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 17, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

at least UAs actually do something lol

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah, the polygraph doesn’t do poo poo. the discomfort is the point :woof:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TrashMammal posted:

yeah its just a really hardcore HR interview

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

yup :woof:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Elite spy trick: It's not a lie if you believe it.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I've never had to take a polygraph.

...not that I would need to for some reason. :ninja:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

i know it’s a junk test, but what i mean is even the useless stress metrics they gather are tainted when the subject is already in discomfort before they even ask if you’re a terrorist. it’s not just a bad test, it’s also bad methodology that would ruin any test, good or bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anybody had a job interview where they just wail on your balls with some wooden spoons for about 45 minutes while they ask you your sexual history and drug use?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hollismason posted:

Anybody had a job interview where they just wail on your balls with some wooden spoons for about 45 minutes while they ask you your sexual history and drug use?

yeah, i graduated from the citadel :woof:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Making a Greek style salad with pork loin. Just made some tzatziki to eat with pita to go with it.

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i think it's weird bats are a phobia

i mean they're just flying rats, the tiny ones like little bitty mice, and rats are cute, and flying is novel, so it's like, they're cool rats. i had a pet mouse as a kid. it was great.

and some of them are even weirder than that so you can add in all these interesting characteristics on top. it isn't like they resemble horrible bugs or anything, they're mammals. hell i'd keep a bat as a pet if it were logistically and tempermentally feasible.