Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I'm posting
*flute solo*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
More of a serious post, I've been lurking this thread since about 2010 myself, when I was a wee egg about to go to uni being taken for a fool by the lib dems. That still stings tbh. But thanks to this thread I've become more knowledgeable about politics, more commie than ever before, it is in part one of the places that exposed me to trans people and in turn helped to crack my egg and understand myself more. Also I met my fiancé through here and he is amazing so when I think about it, ukmt has been a hugely impactful force on me

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Miftan posted:

This is antisemitism

Haha, did I say they were scrumptious?? Must have been a typo, what I mean was:

Phrakusca is an anti-racist poster. Antisemitism is racism. It is unacceptable in my posting and in wider society. To assist in understanding what constitutes antisemitism, my posting persona has endorsed the definition produced by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) in 2016 and hates chocolate orange.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kin posted:

My wife's pretty much the same and it's got me worried that if anything happened to us we might have a situation like that one recently where a toddler curled up and died at his dad's feet after he had a heart attack or something.
Yeah I worry about that as well. I'm alone so much if I have a stroke, I'm not going to be one of those 'luckily he was found quite quickly' stories.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I mostly lurk ever since I made a very sensible centrist post about the scourge of chavs many years ago under an old username that I rightly got hammered for, long before Dave introduced the concept of hugging a hoodie.

Younger me had been indoctrinated in all kinds of shite, like believing the Telegraph to be the definitive source of news and my early experiences of the internet led me down some thought processes that now seem utterly unthinkable.

Lurking in this thread and being on SA in general has probably helped me reshape my views and ability to consume media critically.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

The best thing I can think of is to make sure someone in my team at work tries to get in touch if I just don't log in for whatever reason.

Where I used to work if you didn't turn in or phone in within 3 hours of normal start time, they would book you AWOL.
I said "I live alone, I am not in a relationship, and my family live several hundred miles away. If I do not turn up or phone in within 3 hours PLEASE send someone to check I'm still alive!"

Had a bit of a disagreement with my current line manager - we were working on the top floor of a ropey old building with a single spiral staircase, low ceilings etc. Only 3 p/time employees. So easy to knock yourself out or if you had a health emergency noone would find you for days.

I said if I'm working alone in the building, I will text when I arrive and text when I leave and if I don't text, try to contact me & if I don't respond, send someone to check I've not had a heart attack of whatever."
She was really snappy with me and said I should "get over it" and it should be up to my family to check up on me - I don't live with my family, I have no idea where they are most of the time, and surely it should be work's responsibility if I'm being told to work alone in a dodgy building? She has about a bazillion kids (ie 3 of them) who if she didn't turn up would be screaming for their tea/ after school lifts or whatever.
(Then has the nerve to say I wasn't empathetic when she pulled a muscle in her back - despite me offering to give her details of my masseuse I use when my various muscles 'go' - when she was pretending to be a teenager humping boxes of crap around).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
posting deadman's switch

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Just Another Lurker posted:

Today i discovered that a warm tortilla wrap filled with a thin layer of Greek yogurt & raspberry jam tastes loving amazing... it's been a while since i've been that surprised by food. :kiss:

Also back down to 22 stone, have to go lower.

It's nicer if you fry the tortilla on the hob for a bit instead kf in the oven/microwave. Obviously the actual serving requires that you then roll up the tortilla. I also recommend cottage cheese and a small amount of Nutella mixed together. I know, I know, miftan has bad food opinions. Just try it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bozza posted:

if you can't have fun in Glasgow you can't have fun anywhere

best city on the planet
:hai:

I can't swear it's the best on the planet but I reckon I've sampled enough of the UK's major cities to say it's the best in the country.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

DiscoWitch posted:

being taken for a fool by the lib dems.
I, too, agreed with nick :( But then I wanted chaos with Ed Miliband and we know how that went.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In 2010 I was a lib dem because the piss diamonds ran Bedford and so I assumed that things not being poo poo meant they would sort this poo poo out.

Needless to say, I was a loving idiot.

Thankfully I was voting at uni in Birmingham so my idiotic vote didn't mean a thing in a safe Labour district.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

not your only idiotic vote thought was it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feel that mocking me for bad decisions is a pretty glass house, mr tesla buyer

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Any house would be nice

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I lurk mostly, reply if I have anything relevant to say. It's a downer Twisto/Camrath are over the stars now, I thought it was awesome Cam hand delivered some fudge as we didn't live far from each other at the time, and I backed up Twisto with a load of photos of under Clapham Common tunnels when he was doing a deep dive on tube stuff you don't generally see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Goldskull posted:

I lurk mostly, reply if I have anything relevant to say. It's a downer Twisto/Camrath are over the stars now, I thought it was awesome Cam hand delivered some fudge as we didn't live far from each other at the time, and I backed up Twisto with a load of photos of under Clapham Common tunnels when he was doing a deep dive on tube stuff you don't generally see.

Well thank you for posting! And it's neat to learn about the mostly-lurkers who nevertheless interacted with and contributed to posters ITT both sadly-passed and currently present!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh gently caress I didn't know about Camranth. That sucks :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh Jesus, you missed it? Yeah that was a loving shock, just an awful situation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, I had a full on 'oh poo poo, Camrath's dead' realisation the other day, you know how that stuff will sometimes just come back on you after a while? Bah.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah finding out here on both situations was not fun, The pair of them I would've happily gone for a pint with.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where I used to work if you didn't turn in or phone in within 3 hours of normal start time, they would book you AWOL.
I said "I live alone, I am not in a relationship, and my family live several hundred miles away. If I do not turn up or phone in within 3 hours PLEASE send someone to check I'm still alive!"

Had a bit of a disagreement with my current line manager - we were working on the top floor of a ropey old building with a single spiral staircase, low ceilings etc. Only 3 p/time employees. So easy to knock yourself out or if you had a health emergency noone would find you for days.

I said if I'm working alone in the building, I will text when I arrive and text when I leave and if I don't text, try to contact me & if I don't respond, send someone to check I've not had a heart attack of whatever."
She was really snappy with me and said I should "get over it" and it should be up to my family to check up on me - I don't live with my family, I have no idea where they are most of the time, and surely it should be work's responsibility if I'm being told to work alone in a dodgy building? She has about a bazillion kids (ie 3 of them) who if she didn't turn up would be screaming for their tea/ after school lifts or whatever.
(Then has the nerve to say I wasn't empathetic when she pulled a muscle in her back - despite me offering to give her details of my masseuse I use when my various muscles 'go' - when she was pretending to be a teenager humping boxes of crap around).

I'm kinda sceptical of my work solution too, to be honest. I work for a big corporation but their admin processes are a shambles. Like, the HR platform and HR itself have been outsourced to departments out in Europe/India and as a result, there's no actual HR person in any of the UK offices to speak to about issues with the system or situations like the one we're talking about.

My personal contact details/next of kin, etc are all in my section of the HR system, but the only person who can supposedly get access to that is my line manager. Except, he can't because he needs a setting changed by his line manager who's out on maternity leave. However, she wasn't able to transfer that specific level of operational control to another person because it's not a feature of the system.

As a result, a colleague of mine got in touch with me on WhatsApp last week for a work thing (i'm out on pat leave at the minute), but only after he went to my current line manager to get my number from my previous line manager. She only has it because of a WhatsApp group my old team were on for a temporary Christmas work thing a year or so back.

It feels like i'm going to be asking my manager for a favour of "Please make getting in touch with me or my family a priority if I don't show up to work in case my children die", which feels like a big burden to put on someone rather than it being a default company process.

The kids will each be in nursery 4 days a week from August so if they don't show up i'd hope someone from the nursery would try and pop round to the house as we're just 10 minutes up the road, but i don't know how doggedly they'd try to make sure the kids are ok.

Something bad is unlikely to happen to both of us simultaneously, but i guess it's one of those things that aren't foolproof unless you've got relatives or neighbours popping round every day.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We've got a policy for when we make those kind of phone calls, but still have to do it every couple of months. Usually because someone's changed their plan for the day and not told a manager.
The most anxious I've been with it was someone who'd been off sick a couple of days (having told me they likely would be) and then wasn't answering their phone the next day. Were they dead at home? Did they even live with anyone who might know?
No. They were fine (apparently it's cool to use WhatsApp's "last seen" comment to assume someone's still alive), so I gave them a bollocking for not keeping the relevant people informed of their change of plans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I had a full on 'oh poo poo, Camrath's dead' realisation the other day, you know how that stuff will sometimes just come back on you after a while? Bah.

That happened to me last october.

I agree also with the earlier post that it's hard to be able to talk to anyone about it. People think it's daft if you've never actually met someone. I dunno. I think Twisto and Camrath both affected me more than most other deaths I've gone through. Just seemed wronger somehow.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

You survived that one post in the tattoo thread you can survive anything

This made me drop my toothbrush in the sink and possibly did psychic damage. Thanks! It wasn't even my actual penis!

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Actually been meaning to make the effort to post in here, I've kind of been avoiding d&d/news related forums because I've been feeling way too negative recently.

Just need to keep in mind this thread is 90% crisp chat anyway so it's fine.

These have always been top tier for me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rookoo posted:

Actually been meaning to make the effort to post in here, I've kind of been avoiding d&d/news related forums because I've been feeling way too negative recently.

Just need to keep in mind this thread is 90% crisp chat anyway so it's fine.

I *love* the plain salted McCoys and you can never find the fuckers around here

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The sandwich man who used to come to our office pre-pandemic had Levi Roots coconut curry flavour crisps and they were lush.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Rookoo posted:

I am not big on crisps but if these are offered I will always have them. They're loving weird and I don't know why they're so good. I am always in the mood for them.

Angrymog posted:

The sandwich man who used to come to our office pre-pandemic had Levi Roots coconut curry flavour crisps and they were lush.

Sounds like the M&S katsu curry ones. I have no idea why they put coconut in it, can't say I've ever noticed it in katsu curry. The crisps were good though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

OwlFancier posted:

I agree also with the earlier post that it's hard to be able to talk to anyone about it. People think it's daft if you've never actually met someone. I dunno. I think Twisto and Camrath both affected me more than most other deaths I've gone through. Just seemed wronger somehow.

Same here. Camraths death had me weeping in my bed like a family member had died. Fortunately my wife was a fan of his fudge, so kinda had an idea of who he was.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Generally speaking have lurked the ukmt on and off for years now from a distance having left the UK over a decade ago now but I only found out about Camrath a couple of days ago when someone made a passing reference and I was thinking to buy some of his fudge to send to a family member back there as a present. Actually hit me quite hard. Terribly sad situation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'd like to know what happened to Camranth if someone could PM me :smith:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Rarity posted:

I'd like to know what happened to Camranth if someone could PM me :smith:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040936&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post534532544

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well gently caress

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I still have some Camrath fudge in the door of my fridge that is over a year old that I can't bring myself to eat or chuck out :( he was such a good guy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You should probably eat it

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm not sure I should. It's best before end 11/22... So actually it's been in there even longer. Ahh ADHD fridges.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

OwlFancier posted:

It's not quite the same, but earlier this year I found out that my first brief girlfriend at uni died 3 years ago.

We only dated on and off for a few months (several years apart), and hadn't spoken in over a decade but it was still creating a bit of a weird feeling of disbelief and loss for a whole bunch of reasons.

It's also a situation that there isn't really anyone to talk about it to. Our social circles have long since stopped overlapping, she died so long ago, and we were together for such little time that it would weird to go and bring it up with anyone we mutually knew.

It's maybe a bit similar to here. I can't imagine there's many folk 30+ offline who would understand the feeling off loss when someone from the UKMT dies.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Pouring one (packet of fudge) out (and into my mouth) for camrath

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mebh posted:

I'm not sure I should. It's best before end 11/22... So actually it's been in there even longer. Ahh ADHD fridges.

It's just sugar, sniff test is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's just sugar, sniff test is fine

Dunno is fudge not mainly milk and butter?