Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I don't like EDF at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fishstick posted:

You can avoid a lot of in-between combat by just being stealthier. Avoiding patrols, not shooting stuff unncessarily, and if you do engage stuff kill the entire group fast so they can't call for reinforcements. Don't loiter around objectives after youve cleared them - you dont need to kill every single bot when you can just start moving towards the next objective or POI

With the bots the dudes trying to raise flares are generally my second priority.

Right after the HOLY poo poo HE'S GOT A ROCKET LAUNCHER dudes.

If I see either a rocket launcher or a robo reaching a hand above his head the trash robo immediately becomes priority murder target.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
EDF crossed with Magika crossed with old school Rainbow 6 (or SOCOM??) is the best way I can explain it.

It's definitely to see a game that is in many ways borne from that Northern Europe PC weirdo design sensibility hit bigtime like this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The game is straight up not booting for me now lol. Just a black screen.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Grumbles posted:

EDF crossed with Magika crossed with old school Rainbow 6 (or SOCOM??) is the best way I can explain it.

It's definitely to see a game that is in many ways borne from that Northern Europe PC weirdo design sensibility hit bigtime like this

If you're not aware already...look up who did Magicka.

Your dude is literally going "air explosion ground fire fire" to cast an eagle napalm strike.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The orbital smoke strike is super good for disengaging or stealthing to something you need. Also has a pretty short cooldown and unlimited uses

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Virginia Slams posted:

What's everyone think of this games staying power? I was thinking about getting it and I know it's huge right now but for whatever reason, to me at least, it looks like a game that is gonna die out fairly fast. I am probably wrong and I can't really put into words why I feel that way but I just do.

I am co-op shooter brained so I can see myself rotating back to this game periodically like I do with Deep Rock Galactic and Darktide. Presumably there wil be new War Bonds to grind through, with new weapons and armors to unlock. Very much looking forward to vehicles and the third enemy faction when they get added. There is nothing like this game, where your whole team can spam devastating amounts of airstrikes and orbital ordinance.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Dandywalken posted:

Lol the top 3 difficulties were... too easy?

What was happening was basically exploiters were using playing the kill/exterminate missions on those tiers to farm warbucks, then canceling out after that instead of finishing the campaign. They were also exploiting loadouts to some degree where you can load up all four of your stratagem slots with the same type with separate cooldowns. So Imagine having like 8 mortar and 8 EMS mortars on those missions. Given how it would take about 5 min to clear with at min 7-12 warbuck reward, it had to be fixed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Grumbles posted:

So much of it is the framing of things in not just a cinematic style, but specifically the satirical starship troopers with the serial numbers filed off aspect.
People are way more willing to deal with stuff like the way weapon sway and player injuries work when the game is making you feel like you're storming the beaches of normandy vs robots, and way more willing to deal with getting ragdolled across the map or exploded to death by friendly fire when the whole thing feels like a slapstick war comedy.
Kind of a perfect confluence of multiple different mechanical choices and aesthetic tone.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

victrix posted:

oh it's more than that, if you have a dualsense on PC, the haptics on the trigger change tension as the gun runs low on ammo and the trigger goes slack if it's empty

And they’re completely different when holding a grenade. Great implementation all around.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Virginia Slams posted:

What's everyone think of this games staying power? I was thinking about getting it and I know it's huge right now but for whatever reason, to me at least, it looks like a game that is gonna die out fairly fast. I am probably wrong and I can't really put into words why I feel that way but I just do.

Like with drg you simply play pubs to increase difficulty

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My theory is the game is basically a significantly more accessible ARMA. It's actually very simulationist in the ways that count, and people vibe with that.

Hell, you even do the staggered distance/target call-out cadence when you're pinging stuff on the map and in person.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Virginia Slams posted:

The gameplay loop is fun so as long as content updates happen and the top tier difficulty stays punishing it'll stick around for a while

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm really enjoying the autocannon, and the murder drone. But what part of the chargers legs am I supposed to be aiming for? I can kill one easily with a full clip but I feel like just disabling one is good enough to finish off.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The game is straight up not booting for me now lol. Just a black screen.

Me too :( :hf: :(

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Virginia Slams posted:

The developer has a good track record of supporting their games (I seem to remember Magicka getting supported for e good long while with weird and surprising updates), and there's also stuff in the first Helldivers that isn't in here but which if they add will really expand the game - like an additional faction, and raids on the enemy homeworlds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

toasterwarrior posted:

My theory is the game is basically a significantly more accessible ARMA. It's actually very simulationist in the ways that count, and people vibe with that.

Hell, you even do the staggered distance/target call-out cadence when you're pinging stuff on the map and in person.

For me it's the fact that it just trusts you to have fun. The five minute helldiver boot camp is extremely funny because all these clowns have just been told they're super earth's greatest ever hero and sent to "their" spaceship. This is also true for the players as well though. the game just throws you into the galaxy and says do it for Super Earth with little in the way of further guidance. You just work it out as you go and TK your way to the fun.

It's really refreshing to play a game you just boot up and have fun in, although booting up is currently the greatest challenge of all lol.

The Grumbles posted:

The developer has a good track record of supporting their games (I seem to remember Magicka getting supported for e good long while with weird and surprising updates), and there's also stuff in the first Helldivers that isn't in here but which if they add will really expand the game - like an additional faction, and raids on the enemy homeworlds.

Looks like the map has space for three more factions. So they might do reworked illuminates and some new dudes, which would be really sweet.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 18, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

LazyMaybe posted:

So much of it is the framing of things in not just a cinematic style, but specifically the satirical starship troopers with the serial numbers filed off aspect.
People are way more willing to deal with stuff like the way weapon sway and player injuries work when the game is making you feel like you're storming the beaches of normandy vs robots, and way more willing to deal with getting ragdolled across the map or exploded to death by friendly fire when the whole thing feels like a slapstick war comedy.
Kind of a perfect confluence of multiple different mechanical choices and aesthetic tone.

Yeah this is it I think, it's taken all the dry seriousness out of what would otherwise be a lot of hardcore military sim mechanics, and added in just a huge amount of heart and personality. The bombast of it all - especially the incredible visual flair - also kind of makes those hardcore mechanics come across as approachable and arcadey. Just a great job all round

JBP posted:

For me it's the fact that it just trusts you to have fun. The five minute helldiver boot camp is extremely funny because all these clowns have just been told they're super earth's greatest ever hero and sent to "their" spaceship. This is also true for the players as well though. the game just throws you into the galaxy and says do it for Super Earth with little in the way of further guidance. You just work it out as you go and TK your way to the fun.

Someone else said it earlier in the thread but the game also does a great job of closing the ludonarrative dissonance gap in the silliest way possible, by setting up the helldivers as a bunch of 18 year olds who have gone through the legal required minimum of training, before giving them the keys to nucelar ordnance. The fact that games tend to unfold exactly as that narrative sets up always feels like a huge payoff.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 18, 2024

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

queeb posted:

If you reload the auto cannon with at least one shot left in it it'll reload like 10x as fast as doing it empty

The autocannon is even a bit more fiddly with reloads than other weapons. It has a capacity of 10 rounds and it can’t eject a partial clip like other guns. Each clip is 5 rounds, so you can only get back up to full from 5/10 or 0/10 remaining. So just reload at half every time and you’ll always get the fast reload.

RBA Starblade posted:

Democracy never sleeps

I think you mean managed democracy, soldier. Unmanaged democracy may as well be *spits* communism

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

queeb posted:

The dualsense is so cool, such a great little feature. Shooting the different weapons in Horizon FW was neat too, they all felt different

Edit
Does picking up a EAT drop your auto cannon/? I'm considering running both in pub games just to have coverage for everything

You can do this, you just have to call in the EAT exactly when you need it, fire it off, pick up your AC again.

e] Dualsense talk is making me wanna try mine even though I won't be able to do poo poo playing with a controller, I've been waiting for something new with cool haptics :hellyeah:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Found out yesterday that you can pre-cook grenades

... and also that they explode if you do it for too long even when you're still holding it :supaburn:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Nuebot posted:

So I'm really enjoying the autocannon, and the murder drone. But what part of the chargers legs am I supposed to be aiming for? I can kill one easily with a full clip but I feel like just disabling one is good enough to finish off.

you want to hit the charger in the rear end with the autocannon, two or three shots should be enough to pop it and then just let it bleed out

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah this is it I think, it's taken all the dry seriousness out of what would otherwise be a lot of hardcore military sim mechanics, and added in just a huge amount of heart and personality. The bombast of it all - especially the incredible visual flair - also kind of makes those hardcore mechanics come across as approachable and arcadey. Just a great job all round

Someone else said it earlier in the thread but the game also does a great job of closing the ludonarrative dissonance gap in the silliest way possible, by setting up the helldivers as a bunch of 18 year olds who have gone through the legal required minimum of training, before giving them the keys to nucelar ordnance. The fact that games tend to unfold exactly as that narrative sets up always feels like a huge payoff.

imo the key to the games success is that it’s still fun as hell whether you’re winning or losing. Perfectly nailing an objective or patrol with an orbital is extremely satisfying, but accidentally blowing up your squad is hilarious, so you win either way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LazyMaybe posted:

It's interesting to compare it to the actual Starship Troopers FPS that is in early access right now, which has a *much* more sweaty playerbase. A lot of it is because of aesthetics but imo the power level of individual players is a big role. ST relies on defensive play and volume of fire so unless you have one of the special weapons you aren't taking on a lot of bugs by yourself. They're also *long* missions so you have that element of "gently caress what a waste of half an hour" as you magdump uselessly into a giant bug as it eats your base core.

Whereas in Helldivers you have up to four guys doing it alone, with just a rifle, some grenades, and multiple orbital destroyers ready to rain hell on anything with more than two legs. You are *powerful*, so in cases when you accidentally get gibbed by friendly fire it's funny instead of frustrating because that is an expression of the unfettered power that you are given as well.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Servers are coming back online so you should be able to get past the black screen now, it's just back to the "getting in a server lottery"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Schwawa posted:

imo the key to the games success is that it’s still fun as hell whether you’re winning or losing. Perfectly nailing an objective or patrol with an orbital is extremely satisfying, but accidentally blowing up your squad is hilarious, so you win either way.

Yeah I found that if you're playing with the goal to complete every objective, the game is just not as fun as going in expecting nothing to get done and achieving greatness. Pro tip, if an optional objective is covered in enemy presence just ignore it. There will be other side missions.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
These days, the best games describe their settings through item lore

To think some people want a no cape option...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Basticle posted:

Servers are coming back online so you should be able to get past the black screen now, it's just back to the "getting in a server lottery"

Yeah I have been rolling that dice for about 20 minutes now. I get why it's overloaded but I'll still throw out a gripe that it sucks having a rare free to day to play more than a few hours and it's just error screens.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
NGL, my opinion on this game is souring because of all this "oh we're doing so well, have an extra XP weekend, we're blowing past all these AAA devs" narrative when server stability has been a rollercoaster since launch and is now going straight into hell because of the weekend thing. Also, it's frankly absurd that we're getting peak players at 300k (and I even have crossplay on) and I'm still having to play some runs as solo because matchmaking has been broken this entire fuckin time

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair, the devs aren’t really pushing any of that narrative, they’re just trying to fix the game.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I'm just here to play the game and shoot bugs, I don't really care about whatever narrative and if I can't play with bros I just go play something else until it's fixed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
this game has its claws in people. every time the game goes down i see my steam friends list load up darktide, DRG, sst etc.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

queeb posted:

Yeah I'm just here to play the game and shoot bugs, I don't really care about whatever narrative and if I can't play with bros I just go play something else until it's fixed.

Pretty much this. Whole situation is basically boiling down to "whelp, I like the same thing EVERYONE else does." Just catching up on some backlog games while the devs add a couple more zeros to their server maximum limits.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gone Fashing posted:

i think i missed something with the autocannon, is there a way to reload it yourself or do you always have to have a teammate do it?

Gone Fashing posted:

ok yeah definitely missed this then, lol

Specifically it holds 10 rounds. Each magazine you reload with holds 5.

If at all possible, never empty the gun. You want to reload as soon as you drop down to 5 rounds, if you can. But if you need a few more, go ahead and pop off 4 more. Then get some distance and reload.

The reason why is because the reload animation is a lot longer if you load both mags than one.

Schwawa posted:

The autocannon is even a bit more fiddly with reloads than other weapons. It has a capacity of 10 rounds and it can’t eject a partial clip like other guns. Each clip is 5 rounds, so you can only get back up to full from 5/10 or 0/10 remaining. So just reload at half every time and you’ll always get the fast reload.

This is not true. You can reload at 5/10, 4/10, 3/10, 2/10, 1/10, and 0/10 remaining.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 18, 2024

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I want a flag stratagem; how else will I spread patriotism to my squad mates?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

The first Helldivers had an extremely dedicated core fanbase that endured for years, I think this game will be the same but with an even larger dedicated fanbase due to its bigger popularity. The devs are great at long-term support and content updates, just give them some time to get everything stable.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Is there any point in staying in the "Error server capacity reached" screen? Tried on and off for a few hours...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

TARGET...BUG...FIFTY METERS

WHERE ARE YOU?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

toasterwarrior posted:

NGL, my opinion on this game is souring because of all this "oh we're doing so well, have an extra XP weekend, we're blowing past all these AAA devs" narrative when server stability has been a rollercoaster since launch and is now going straight into hell because of the weekend thing. Also, it's frankly absurd that we're getting peak players at 300k (and I even have crossplay on) and I'm still having to play some runs as solo because matchmaking has been broken this entire fuckin time

They haven't been pushing that at all, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Grimnarsson posted:

Is there any point in staying in the "Error server capacity reached" screen? Tried on and off for a few hours...

I don't know but it's certainly frustrating when you've been trying to get in for an hour and your friend gets in on first login :smith: